Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Wonder if that's a suggestion on the Navi specs too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd never suggest a blower card.
    Better to get a GPU with a real heatsink & mount a Noctua/be quiet fan somewhere to vent it.

The Sugo 13 is one tiny little frame, there's no place to exhaust hot air

sg13_open_leftside_w_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    The Sugo 13 is one tiny little frame, there's no place to exhaust hot air

sg13_open_leftside_w_600.jpg

https://www.overclock.net/forum/50-small-form-factor-systems/1494564-silverstone-sugo-sg13-mini-itx-owners-club-99.html#/topics/1494564?page=270

Though my actual advice would be to get a more modern/slightly larger SFF case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Though my actual advice would be to get a more modern/slightly larger SFF case ;)

I'd agree, I moved to a Core V1 from a Sugo 13 and was delighted with the extra space, despite still being a nice small case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jim over at AdoredTV posted a video earlier today. 12 core 5GHz boost supposedly confirmed. If you don't want to watch the whole video near the end is where he mentions it. Over 4000 CB R15 score on a 16 core desktop part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm all over that 12/24 part if it is. At last I get to upgrade from my 3770k.

3 times the cores/threads, much higher IPC and clocks. Quite the upgrade.

I just hope Navi isn't complete ass. I want a full 7nm build.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm all over that 12/24 part if it is. At last I get to upgrade from my 3770k.

3 times the cores/threads, much higher IPC and clocks. Quite the upgrade.

I just hope Navi isn't complete ass. I want a full 7nm build.

The Hype train on Navi tanked recently, lots of reports that it will be competitive with Nvidias year old offerings when its released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Hype train on Navi tanked recently, lots of reports that it will be competitive with Nvidias year old offerings when its released.

That isn't a problem if it beats Nvidia's year old offerings on price. Unfortunately, sounds like they won't.

I saw the latest leak on Navi pricing which somehow nearly doubled from the earlier leaks.

I have my doubts about the accuracy of this considering the 7nm process, non HBM memory, and the small die size.

There's no way they will be priced anywhere near Nvidia's offerings. If they are then they won't be selling any of them.

Fingers crossed. I'd love an all-AMD build!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Hmmm nvidia just threw their hat into the ring announcing nvidia "super" which will be unveiled at computex on the 27th..they cant let AMD have all the limelight!
    Though i suspect whatever it is i would probably need to remortgage my house
    https://youtu.be/LiLVZje9_nE

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Hmmm nvidia just threw their hat into the ring announcing nvidia "super" which will be talked about at computex on the 27th..they cant let amd have all the limelight!

https://youtu.be/LiLVZje9_nE

The comments are the best even though unfortunately true.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I can't wrap my head around a 12-core 5GHz part. The increments are normally more incremental than that.

I'd be happy with turbo speeds of 4.5GHz on a 6-core or 8-core, that to me sounds more credible.

Should find out in a short while though, the reveal is still to be at Computex 2019?

z0oT wrote: »
    I can't wrap my head around a 12-core 5GHz part. The increments are normally more incremental than that.

I'd be happy with turbo speeds of 4.5GHz on a 6-core or 8-core, that to me sounds more credible.

Should find out in a short while though, the reveal is still to be at Computex 2019?

You would need a pretty good cooler I would imagine if it can reach those speeds.

The 5GHz is probably single core boost XFR 3.0 or some such.

Of course it's single core boost. That also means all cores can boost through overclock if you can cool it though.

Of course it's single core boost. That also means all cores can boost through overclock if you can cool it though.

I'm amazed they can supposedly get that high but with high core count it will run hot and use a lot of power though. If the 8 core can run all core 5GHz with a overclock it will be some chip. Even 4.8Ghz would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

You would need a pretty good cooler I would imagine if it can reach those speeds.
    The 5GHz is probably single core boost XFR 3.0 or some such.
    Agreed, XFR 3.0 at 5GHz is definitely credible. Some of the articles that picked up the leaks implied it would be an all core turbo which is definitely not going to happen.

Another thing is introducing 12 cores on AM4 would presumably mean the Threadripper stuff would go upwards from there, as there would be not point in buying it otherwise.

The new Epyc has 64C/128T, so entry level of 24C/48T for Threadripper? That would make a hell of a mockery out of the X299 platform.

Threadripper still has its role even at similar core counts - the chipset has more PCI-e lanes for NVMe drives/extra GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not true. x570 boards are PCIe Gen 4 with 40 lanes which is the equivalent of 80 PCIe Gen3 lanes. Threadripper has 64 PCIe gen 3 lanes.

Which would be great if we had PCIe 4 stuff out, or if the slots were done in a way that we could take advantage of, but that's very unlikely.

Example: My Threadripper board is using a GPU, and two 3.0 x8 SAS controllers.
    I can't use this in an X570 board, because there will be two x16 slots, and probably the rest will be x1.

I deleted that post. Checked it again and the source was wrong. Others are saying 24 lanes.

• Advertisement

A little more on Zen's release schedule.

I always had a hunch this might be the case. It seemed really weird for AMD to announce everything here, then have their event at E3 two weeks later teasing a load of Navi stuff. Still, Intel got their epeen part out just in time!

This is huge; Navi is not GCN-based!
    And available in July!

Oh shiiiii-

Zen 2:
    Release date 7/7
    Family| CPU | cores|threads|Base GHz|Boost GHz |L2 cache|L3 cache|PCIe 4.0|DDR4|TDP|Price
    Ryzen 9| 3900X |12C |24T | 3.8 |4.6 |6 MB |64 MB |16+4+4 |? |105W |$499
    Ryzen 7| 3800X |8C |16T |3.9 |4.5 |4 MB |32 MB |16+4+4 |? |105W |$399
    Ryzen 7 |3700X |8C |16T |3.6 |4.4 |4 MB |32 MB |16+4+4 |? |65W |$329
    Ryzen 5 | 3600X |6C |12T |3.8 |4.4 |3 MB |32 MB |16+4+4 |? |95W |$249
    Ryzen 5 |3600 |6C |12T |3.6 |4.2 |3 MB |32 MB |16+4+4 |? |65W |$199

COMPUTEX_KEYNOTE_DRAFT_FOR_PREBRIEF.26.05.19-page-035b.jpg

Didn't see that Navi news coming at all. Much will depend on price, of course.

Apart from thinking that the 3700X/3800X are too close, the rest of the Ryzen stuff looks great. 12 cores, 4.6GHz boost, at 105W, for $500? Mental!

My thoughts as well RE 37/38.

It's also interesting that a 300MHz base/100MHz boost warrants a 40W (~60%) increase in TDP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Serephucus wrote: »
    My thoughts as well RE 37/38.

It's also interesting that a 300MHz base/100MHz boost warrants a 40W (~60%) increase in TDP.

As said on Anandtech, it doesn't really warrant the increase, so the headroom is more for XFR than anything else. Quote from their article below.
    It doesn’t seem overly impressive compared to the 3700X with its larger 105W TDP for only a few hundred MHz more on the base frequency, however as we’ve seen with the 2nd Gen Ryzen, that extra TDP headroom usually helps with technologies like XFR that manage the boost frequencies. AMD hasn’t said anything new about how XFR or Precision Boost works in the new generation yet, we have to wait until nearer launch for that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Ploughing on ahead with the CPU market it seems, intel have a lot of work to do to catch up now.

Navi on the other hand, I think I'll still get a Radeon VII as the Navi demo was on a game that the Radeon VII comfortably beat an RTX 2080. I'd like to see more benchmarks and in terms of it being a new architecture I'd be more hesitant about jumping right on board. Very interested to see what I can do though, I reckon second gen Navi will be like second gen Ryzen. All the kinks and weak points ironed out.

A little disappointing on the pricing and clock speeds. The "leaks" were't that accurate after all but overall it's still good compared to intel.

Hopefully a price war ensues.

Navi isn't really a new architecture. It's still GCN with the same strengths/weaknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A little disappointing on the pricing and clock speeds. The "leaks" were't that accurate after all but overall it's still good compared to intel.

Hopefully a price war ensues.

Navi isn't really a new architecture. It's still GCN with the same strengths/weaknesses.

They went to pains to stress that it's not GCN and it's not compute focused, that it was an entirely new architecture built from the ground up.

I'd hold off on writing Navi off until we actually see some specs and prices.

Advertisement