Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Watching this with interest as a replacement for my 6800k. If the multicore perf is improved enough for 144fps gaming then I'm in. Previous generations have not been so I'm not all-in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The 3700X looks extremely impressive on paper. 8-cores with a 4.4GHz boost at just 65W, great for an ITX system, which is what I have for my main system. Although... I think the 3600X might be slightly ahead for gaming (which is all I do).

Interesting the way the 3600X is 95W, but the 3700X is 65W, plus the jump to 105W for the 3800X just for a few hundred MHz.

Both should be a good step up over an i7-6700k which is what I'm using currently.

Will be waiting for reviews an further news with enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

z0oT wrote: »
    The 3700X looks extremely impressive on paper. 8-cores with a 4.4GHz boost at just 65W, great for an ITX system, which is what I have for my main system. Although... I think the 3600X might be slightly ahead for gaming (which is all I do).

Interesting the way the 3600X is 95W, but the 3700X is 65W, plus the jump to 105W for the 3800X just for a few hundred MHz.

Both should be a good step up over an i7-6700k which is what I'm using currently.

Will be waiting for reviews an further news with enthusiasm.

Yeah, have been thinking about a tiny ITX system myself, and the 3700X looks ideal on paper.

Now we just have to wait for benchmarks. I'm wondering if there'll be any significant latency cost with the 3900X using two chiplets as it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They went to pains to stress that it's not GCN and it's not compute focused, that it was an entirely new architecture built from the ground up.

I'd hold off on writing Navi off until we actually see some specs and prices.

I only seen highlights which didn't mention that at all.

So they are calling it RDNA? Well that's a lot more interesting then.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The X570 chipset seems to require active cooling.

Pretty much all of the newly unveiled X570 boards have chipset fans on them.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255960/four-premium-msi-x570-motherboards-pictured-up-close

https://www.techpowerup.com/255952/asus-shows-off-its-x570-motherboard-lineup-itx-included

That's a bit of a blast from the past, and not a good one.

Will the B550 chipset need active cooling aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's because of PCIe gen 4 which when loaded takes a fair bit more power.

It will only spin up when loaded. It's only supposed to be 15w so surprising it needs active cooling.

Only the x570 will be PCie4. B550 won't be so it won't require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

z0oT wrote: »
    The X570 chipset seems to require active cooling.

Pretty much all of the newly unveiled X570 boards have chipset fans on them.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255960/four-premium-msi-x570-motherboards-pictured-up-close

https://www.techpowerup.com/255952/asus-shows-off-its-x570-motherboard-lineup-itx-included

That's a bit of a blast from the past, and not a good one.

Will the B550 chipset need active cooling aswell?

X570 chipset draws around 11W; I assume someone will make chipset heatsinks that fit (similar to these old heatsinks).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    A little disappointing on the pricing and clock speeds. The "leaks" were't that accurate after all but overall it's still good compared to intel.

I'd say the leaks were pretty accurate but there were some decisions made along the way to curtail them.

Its seems very likely that initial Ryzen 3000 products are the failed CCX's not going into the EYPC market. And it makes sense, they have already hammered away at Intel's market share elsewhere but now is the time to put everything they have into server chips. Intel has nothing to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's because of PCIe gen 4 which when loaded takes a fair bit more power.

It will only spin up when loaded. It's only supposed to be 15w so surprising it needs active cooling.

Only the x570 will be PCie4. B550 won't be so it won't require it.

Gigabyte have already released bios updates which enable pcie 4 on 4 series boards, so I expect b550 to support as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gigabyte have already released bios updates which enable pcie 4 on 4 series boards, so I expect b550 to support as well

That's PCIe 4.0 from the CPU. There is more PCIe 4.0 from the chipset which is for NVMe and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The heat issue comes when you use PCIe 4.0 to run an NVMe drive directly via the chipset.
    Older boards won't be able to do this so the heat and power usage issue won't be present.

B550 won't be released this side on new years either according to board manufacturers.

KkR5VbXl.jpg

Regarding PCIe 4.0, Corsair announced the MP600 with 4250MB/s write/4950MB/s read speeds :eek:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Regarding PCIe 4.0, Corsair announced the MP600 with 4250MB/s write/4950MB/s read speeds :eek:

Gigabyte were the first to announce a NVMe drive for PCIe 4.0 They announced one early last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
    Pro WS X570-ACE

No bull**** RGB.
    ECC support
    I. P. M. I.

****ing yeeeeeeesssssss. Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
    Pro WS X570-ACE

No bull**** RGB.
    ECC support
    I. P. M. I.

****ing yeeeeeeesssssss. Finally!

Single socket? Feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

jesus! the price of the X570 boards

Godlike: 777€
    Creation: 539€
    MEG X570 ACE 429€
    MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi 299€
    MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi 239€
    MPG X570 Gaming Plus 219€

At least you can pop a Zen 2 chip into a X470 motherboard. Not everyone will need a NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Skerries wrote: »

MEG X570 ACE 429€

Will the motherboard cost dampen the excitement and uptake of the 3000s CPUs much like when Radeon 7 pricing as announced.

Kinda negates the value of the new CPUs if you're paying for expensive motherboards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pricey alright. There'll still be the B550 boards, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

will56 wrote: »
    Will the motherboard cost dampen the excitement and uptake of the 3000s CPUs much like when Radeon 7 pricing as announced.

Kinda negates the value of the new CPUs if you're paying for expensive motherboards ?

Not really. They'll still get the same CPU performance from b450 and x470 boards, as above most people don't need PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives. A decent b450 board and the 3800x and you'd have a perfect gaming platform for less than the cost of a 9900k alone.

Similar to how you shouldn't even consider a 9700K/9900K with a motherboard below €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

I'm all over that 3900x. I have a 2700x at home. Upgrading to to 12 cores for 500 is golden compared with a thread ripper build I was considering which would of required a complete new build.

Up to now I was farming my big jobs out to the high performance computing nodes in work which requires way too much scripting and I usually only get a 24 core node anyway. Way more suitable to do it on a 12 core machine at home via windows. Pity none of the standard motherboards have more than 4 dimm slots, 64 GB isn't that much anymore depending on what you are doing.

One part of me is happy that AMD are ripping through intel, the other part of me worries for Intel's long term viability especially considering appale are going to drop them soon (i.e. the thousands of people working in lexlip)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Skerries wrote: »

MEG X570 ACE 429€

The Godlike range has always cost stupid money just like the Asus Formula series of boards and something only a very select few are going to invest in. I wouldn't read to much into the pricing of the super top tier boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Steve from Hardware unboxed was saying he liked the look, and value proposition, of the MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi. Is €239 a lot for a motherboard?

finlaycm wrote: »
    Pity none of the standard motherboards have more than 4 dimm slots, 64 GB isn't that much anymore depending on what you are doing.

Double Height, double capacity. I'm not sure if they are compatible with every motherboard or if you can use 4 of them. I just remember watching a video from steve on Gamers Nexus about them. I also did not read through the link below. I just googled and posted the first link.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13399/double-height-double-capacity-zadak-ddr4-32gb

edit: Just reading through the article and 64GB is the max a mainstream desktop can do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

finlaycm wrote: »
    Up to now I was farming my big jobs out to the high performance computing nodes in work which requires way too much scripting and I usually only get a 24 core node anyway. Way more suitable to do it on a 12 core machine at home via windows. Pity none of the standard motherboards have more than 4 dimm slots, 64 GB isn't that much anymore depending on what you are doing.

On of the reasons I went for the threadripper build was the possibility of 128gb RAM as a potential upgrade (started on 64gb with half the slots still free). Quite a bit of the heavily multithreaded stuff I work with consumes significant memory on a per thread basis, where I've maxed out my previous 32gb build on 8 threads in the past. That said, 3900x is likely to have higher clock speeds and if I already had a Ryzen build it is the way I'd go.

Steve from Hardware unboxed was saying he liked the look, and value proposition, of the MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi. Is €239 a lot for a motherboard?

It's a lot when you consider most decent B450 motherboards are €90-130 (e.g. the Gigabyte B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC) and the best high-end X470 boards are generally €250 (Asus ROG STRIX X470-F is only €195 though).

Also if you can make-do with mini-ITX, MSI B450I Gaming Plus (top-tier VRMs) can be found for €115.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Was hoping for a bit more from Navi,feeling the need to upgrade from a GTX 1080 at this point.

100hz @ 1440p in newer demanding games is just not possible on the 1080.

Hopefully when we see a suite of benches Navi will be more appealing.

• Advertisement

RTX 2070 is noticeably faster than GTX 1080 in newer titles, e.g. Wolfenstein II.

I assume RX 5700 will be similarly faster.

Advertisement