Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I ordered my 3900X from Scan.co.uk on the 14/07/2019 and Scan are having issues getting stock in at the moment

It seems across Europe no one can get this chip in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Well I built it all outside our pc case to see what happened before I put it all in the case. Flashed the bios file no issues, assembled her sitting on the mobo box and fired her up, straight into bios no problem!

Took it all apart and installed into the case and she's now installing windows, all my fretting for nothing it seems.

Anyone know where abouts in bios the PBO setting is, had a quick dig around while setting the xmp profile for the ram but didn't spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's on that same screen with the XMP profile. I can't remember if it's in a sub menu.

Did you flash the BIOS with the CPU etc. installed or before?

Glad it all works for you!

I'll have a look there ta. I cleared cmos first then flashed with nothing but the psu connected, no cpu, no ram, nothing. Used an 8gb USB 2.0 stick that I know is very reliable too. I have a lot of them and most of them are crap but this one never let's me down.

One other thing, the case he has has no reset button so that may have helped too as there isn't one to connect. I would have left it off anyway but just to note.

• Advertisement

Turned off PBO, she's quite toasty still but not ramping up constantly. Ryzen master monitoring running and nothing else except background processes and shes idling from 38 up to 50c. Was sitting at 48c with 5 of 6 cores asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

.G. wrote: »
    Turned off PBO, she's quite toasty still but not ramping up constantly. Ryzen master monitoring running and nothing else except background processes and shes idling from 38 up to 50c. Was sitting at 48c with 5 of 6 cores asleep!

Pretty normal. CPU-Z is the best monitoring software.

The other thing is that the Ryzen 2 CPU's disperse heat differently, given the new process.

If you check your CPU temp against the system temp, you'll find it's pretty normal.

For me, it's not uncommon to be at 35c idle, 60c under load, but the heatsink will be cool to touch all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HWInfo > CPU-Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    HWInfo > CPU-Z.

I didn't meant that cpu z is the best monitoring software generally, it's just what amd have recommended for best accuracy in measuring the new Ryzen processors.

Nothing like steam or icue running?

Mine does a similar thing but I'm not sure the cores ever sleep. I know it's tough to tell as it won't show apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Mine does a similar thing but I'm not sure the cores ever sleep. I know it's tough to tell as it won't show apparently.

Der8auer was showing the Ryzen 9 ramping down significantly at idle, consuming just 0.2V, but ramping up to 1.05V whenever you do anything in windows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5pHUHGZ7hU

I'm going to assume the hardware is fine, and can idle very efficiently, but there might be windows and bios updates required before it can do it effectively, as it sounds like it is always running active for ye.

Listening again, he specifically states that this is in windows power saving mode. Perhaps it is normal for this to idle at a relatively "high" temp in performance mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So I started but ran out of time today as I took my case apart completely to clean everything (was 5 years of dust in there)

I did run the bios flashback as per instructions with the latest released BIOS for the tomohawk but there's no comment on what happens once it's run? I ran it, the red light by the USB slot flashed which means it's installing and then stopped flashing which means the flashback has completed but the mobo stayed on and the PSU fan was spinning (cpu light stayed red but I assume that's normal as no cpu was in at the time so I just powered off the psu. I hope I didn't f*ck anything up. Got work so ran out of time and will finish build tomorrow and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Will be going through the fun this evening, and for added craic I'm going to live stream it for some reason.

Still no case (Tuesday, apparently) so it will just be a free form build for now

Checked it right afywe we installed windows so literally nothing else running bar Ryzen master itself, which will also show you when cores are sleeping.
    Xenoronin wrote:
    Listening again, he specifically states that this is in windows power saving mode. Perhaps it is normal for this to idle at a relatively "high" temp in performance mode.

I forgot to check what mode the power is in, need to check that later but voltage on the cpu never dropped below 1.35 volts while I was watching it idle on Windows desktop.

I did run the bios flashback as per instructions with the latest released BIOS for the tomohawk but there's no comment on what happens once it's run? I ran it, the red light by the USB slot flashed which means it's installing and then stopped flashing which means the flashback has completed but the mobo stayed on and the PSU fan was spinning (cpu light stayed red but I assume that's normal as no cpu was in at the time so I just powered off the psu. I hope I didn't f*ck anything up. Got work so ran out of time and will finish build tomorrow and see what happens.

When I did the flash, after the red lights stopped flashing the Psu fan switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Read a good article from Steve at gamer nexus, case and cpu cooling matters more than ever now, there's very little manual OC headroom in these things as they will pretty much boost to their maximum capability as long as there is thermal headroom for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

dazberry wrote: »
    Yeah I installed 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX at that time - but they must have been different - they're discontinued on Scan so I can't tell which ones they were. "2x8G CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200 1.3"

There we go - mine is a 2666 Mhz rated at 1.2v; I ordered from Aria back then and they didn't have availiability on any 3200 kit that was on the QVL. The intention was to "get it going with these and then upgrade to 32GB at 3200", but soon after the ram price spikes happened :mad:

I've never tested the USB 3.1 performance, the only issue I have is that intermittently when powered on my boot SSD is not detected so it just goes into the BIOS, have to hit the reset button and it appears the second time.

Yeah had the same issue occasionally - especially with the M.2 drive. Has been ok for a while now.

Yeah don't blame you after all that. Last board I had issues with was an MSI, so have sort of avoided them since.

And I wouldn't normally be that kind of customer, I have been in the "game" too long not to know that everybody encounters a dud every now and then. Yet, while going over x470 /x570 boards, I found myself looking at Asus and going "nope".

When I did the flash, after the red lights stopped flashing the Psu fan switched off.

On the tomohawk board? I'm not overly worried, the instructions said once the usb light stops flashing it's done so I doubt I anything screwed up. I was looking online and I saw a video where a dude had the same as me.

F me but installing the stock cooler is a bit dopey. You need the back plate but nothing holds it in place (I read on some boards there's light adhesive but not on this one) so you've to hold the backplate with one hand and try and magic the screws in whilst holding the cooler to the cpu with the other... Was a pain in the ass.

On the tomohawk board? I'm not overly worried, the instructions said once the usb light stops flashing it's done so I doubt I anything screwed up. I was looking online and I saw a video where a dude had the same as me.

No, it's the gaming plus board.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    I ordered my 3900X from Scan.co.uk on the 14/07/2019 and Scan are having issues getting stock in at the moment

It seems across Europe no one can get this chip in stock

Got this email from Scan today

"Good morning,

Unfortunately these are very difficult to get a hold of at the minute. This is due to global constraint on the product from AMD directly so everywhere is struggling to get a hold of them.

Sadly our ETA was 15/07 and we did plan to get all of our back orders shipped on this for delivery on 16/07, unfortunately this date has passed now and our purchasing team is now chasing with our suppliers to find a new date on when we are supposed to be getting them back in which is why we are unable to provide a date just yet.Rest assured we are trying our absolute hardest to get this stock in and fulfil the back orders that we currently have and once the stock lands with us orders will be completed with utmost urgency.If you keep an eye on your emails we will be in touch once we can provide you with an ETA that's direct from the supplier.

We understand this isn't ideal but we would rather give yourself and other customers in the que a more accurate date direct from our supplier. We apologise that we are unable to provide this information more accurately at this time."

• Advertisement

So, for anyone that is having problems with their B450 boards. Are yiz going to keep them or will it be the X570 route?

So, for anyone that is having problems with their B450 boards. Are yiz going to keep them or will it be the X570 route?

I just can't justify the price. I just have to wait for it to boot and hope they fix it down the line.

Built my machine this evening (Tomahawk and 3700x) and it won't post, CPU led lighting up red. Sad times

Tried V19 and the V191 that they released on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What does the manual say the red light means?

What does the manual say the red light means?

"indicates CPU is not detected or fail"

Did you do the bios flashback. As in update before the CPU was installed?

Yes, I've tried V19 (flashed before installing CPU) , V191 and V18 all have had the same LED

I was just reading on forums people said try the very first bios released to enable the CPU to work v17(I think it's that one anyway) with the flashback method and once it works update to newest the normal way. Worth a try anyway.

I was just reading on forums people said try the very first bios released to enable the CPU to work v17(I think it's that one anyway) with the flashback method and once it works update to newest the normal way. Worth a try anyway.

Couldnt hurt, flashing it now!

EDIT: Didn't work :(

• Advertisement

So I did mine 3600x (who doesn't like expensive letters).

Tomahawk board. Flashed most recent bios.

It's... Weird, first boot nothing happened, then I tried again and just left it and eventually (like after a minute or so) the CPU light went out and I booted.

Having said that it does seem to have moments... Like I had to restart for a driver change and it just hung there and I had to power down and do it again. Some boots are a bit on the slow side others totally normal.

I haven't messed in bios to do anything else just yet so no idea what my ram is running at etc. Only gripes so far is my windows won't activate and my WiFi adapter no longer sees the 5g network....

EDIT: it's definitely not a solid 100% boot rate. When I opt to restart it often hangs. Have to hold power button to power off then back on. A minor annoyance when others can't get it to work at all.

In game I'm seeing a solid boost over my 3770k. Very happy with the improvement in my low dips. Now I'm staying well above 144 in 1440p Overwatch etc.

Advertisement