Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Memory tests with Ryzen 3000. Basic take away is if you are cpu bound then higher speed/ lower timing memory will give significant improvements for games.

If you are gpu bound it makes almost no difference so for the majority of people it will make no difference.

Looking at high end gpu's with lower resolution/settings and high frame rates to get the boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Also tighter timings were better than faster memory (with looser timings).

Just got my first ever BSOD. My PC is acting strange when i wake it from sleep. No problems booting from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Just got my first ever BSOD. My PC is acting strange when i wake it from sleep. No problems booting from cold.

I never really let my computer mode go to sleep, I always found it causes more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Same, always shut it down. Boots in 10 seconds anyway.

• Advertisement

I never had the problem before on my previous Intel builds so i was just thinking it was something to do with the new one.
    Hopefully when i'm up and running again on Monday it will not happen again. I'll shut down in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I have an Intel HP laptop which has a quick close feature like sleep mode that's activated by the lid. Didn't happen at the start but after a while every time I closed the lid to sleep it caused multicolored vertical bars on the screen upon waking up.

Drives me mental. Had to just switch to close hibernates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 3600 really is an exceptional chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The 3600 really is an exceptional chip.

Yep a seriously good value cpu, I'm happy with my 3700x, but I wouldn't have lost much at all by getting a 3600 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Partner cards for the navi cards are out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

deceit wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what board were you using?

I have the Aorus Gaming Ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I got going with my x570 board & 3700x last night, since I got the M.2 drive yesterday evening - this one:
    https://www.aorus.com/AORUS-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-1TB

Unfortunately after assembling everything, the mouse wasn't working in the BIOS, and the BIOS was laggy as hell to the point of being unusable. The CPU was down-clocking to 800MHz in the bios aswell, previously it was correctly reported as 3.6GHz. It threw up the "Boot Failure" message once aswell. I pulled it all apart and started powering it up with components added one-by-one out in the open on the desk.

I only get the problem when I've the M.2 drive installed. It doesn't matter whether it's in the slot on the front of the board that's connected to the CPU directly or the one on the back of the board connected to the chipset, I get the same. Similiarly if I manually set the PCIe to 3.0 speeds I get the same too.

The M.2 gets quite hot after a while which is one good sign, which says it's getting power and there's at least some communication going on between it and the CPU. Which sort of points away from the board. It looks like I've a faultly M.2 drive, I think I'll just return it and go for a cheaper and smaller PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive instead, the extra 4.0 speed is totally pointless for me too.

The other thing is that the AMD Wraith cooler is a noisy ****er of a thing ramping up constantly, maybe it can be tamed with tweaking the fan curve. No way I can live with the default or silent profiles long term, I've ordered a Noctua NH-U12s in the meantime, which sadly doesn't look nearly as nice as the Wraith.

The chipset fan is a total non-issue I think, after setting the fan profile to silent, it doesn't spin up at all, having some active cooling on the M.2 isn't a bad thing either. (Changing my tune here)

They seem to be the only two issues, sadly one of them being a bit of a showstopper. My 32GB of Memory runs at 3200MHz okay after I enable XMP. I got through a Windows 10 installation fine too on a spare SSD and booted into it just fine, I didn't do anything more than that though.

In the end I just said screw it and put my 6700k system back together. Once the Noctua comes I'll go back to the X570 & 3700X setup again, and maybe just work with SATA SSDs until I get a replacement M.2 drive.

Frustrating night! Anyone here have similiar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

z0oT wrote: »

Frustrating night! Anyone here have similiar issues?

Not zen related but definitely had BIOS and mouse issues when my nvme m.2 was on the way out. Very frustrating.

It seems there's some issues on the X570 Gigabyte boards with M.2 drives. I'm reading people on Reddit reporting some similiar issues with them too. It probably needs a BIOS update from Gigabyte to address.

I know there's a few people here with Gigabyte X570 boards - how are M.2 SSDs working for you guys?

I swore I'd never go back on the bleeding edge again after getting badly burnt with an R9 290, but here I am. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

It seems there's some issues on the X570 Gigabyte boards with M.2 drives. I'm reading people on Reddit reporting some similiar issues with them too. It probably needs a BIOS update from Gigabyte to address.

I know there's a few people here with Gigabyte X570 boards - how are M.2 SSDs working for you guys?

I swore I'd never go back on the bleeding edge again after getting badly burnt with an R9 290, but here I am. :p

I've got an M.2 on an X570 Aorus Elite and 3700x have had no problems so far after two weeks

I've two running on my Elite with no problems unless the one BSOD was related to them but other than that, all is fine.

Running an x570 Ultra with a new nvme drive and no issues what-so-ever.

What M.2 drives & BIOS revisions are you guys using? I'm guessing none of you took the plunge for a 4.0 drive?

I've found a few threads on the Gigabyte forums with the same problem as me. I might just use the spare SATA SSDs I have for the time being...

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/7397/x570-master-issues-uefi-aorus
    http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/7391/aorus-x570-ultra-gigabyte-nvme

I have a Samsung 1TB 970 Evo NVME and a generic Dell 1TB M.2 SSD and i'm on F4j BIOS.

• Advertisement

WD Black SN750 NVME in the nearest slot.
    2 500GB ssds and a mechanical drive in the sata slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I'm running an Ryzen 3700x on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite with F4j bios and a Corsair MP600 4.0 SSD with no issues at all the past week was running on the F3 Bios for a day with no issue before hand too if thats any help to you

peterk19 wrote: »
    I'm running an Ryzen 3700x on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite with F4j bios and a Corsair MP600 4.0 SSD with no issues at all the past week was running on the F3 Bios for a day with no issue before hand too if thats any help to you
    Interesting. That makes my situation even more ridiculous.

Your Corsair drive is okay, but for me I've a Gigabyte Aorus branded drive that doesn't work properly in a Gigabyte Aorus branded motherboard. Their quality control could use a bit of work methinks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Interesting. That makes my situation even more ridiculous.

Your Corsair drive is okay, but for me I've a Gigabyte Aorus branded drive that doesn't work properly in a Gigabyte Aorus branded motherboard. Their quality control could use a bit of work methinks. :pac:

Yea that's a strange one alright I had no issues at all pretty much plug and play its possible you may have just got a bad drive

Another question for those with Aorus X570 boards with M.2 drives installed:

Do you guys have CSM disabled or enabled in your BIOS's?

Enabled in mine.

I have it disabled. I usually turn it off to make sure I'll never get a non-UEFI enabled boot.

Having it disabled might very well be my problem.
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1728360-gigabyte-x570-aorus-owners-thread.html#post28023210

Also, new bios's on the way from Gigabyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

CSM is a legacy bios feature. UEFI is a much faster boot sequence. If you installed Windows with CSM on, your OS will not install as UEFI.

It can be changed...

step 1/
    https://www.nextofwindows.com/windows-8-quick-tip-how-to-tell-if-my-windows-is-uefi-booted

step 2, follow this method/
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

It's worth it. All modern rigs should be running Uefi.

Success!!! Typing this from the x570 & 3700X system with Windows running on the PCIe 4.0 SSD now. :D

Not quite sure what I was doing earlier, but the BIOS being unusable with the M.2 installed is solved by disabling CSM! The CPU downclocking to 800MHz was also caused by a setting in the BIOS being ticked while the interface was going crazy.

Problem is though, the default setting is CSM enabled. It means if the BIOS is ever reset to defaults, I have to power down, remove the M.2, power up, go into the BIOS, disable CSM, power down, and only then can I install the M.2 drive.

Reassuring as future BIOS updates should solve it, I must cancel the RMA with OCUK now as the drive is not the problem. I was lucky I forgot the drive this morning before leaving for work... :pac:

I have a Samsung 970 Evo on the way to me too, so I'll be able to see if the issue is only confined to PCIe 4.0 drives.

Anyway, I might work off a SATA SSD in the meantime until a newer BIOS is released. I also think I'll wait for the Noctua cooler before I switch over to it as my daily. As good as the bundled Wraith looks, its a loud ****er of a thing.

Anyway, some numbers from the PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD:

488228.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's some impressive speeds

Advertisement