Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Updated the MSI x570 with the AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS, it's...definitely doing something, although I'm not sure exactly what. Cinebench 20 scores went up a little bit - from 7050 to about 7120-7150 (with DDR4 3200)...yet, while it used to boost to 4074-4099 Mhz with the previous BIOS, it now goes to 4049-4074 Mhz...yet performance seems to be a tiny bit higher.

This CPU (it's a 3900X) is both formidable and baffling - it pulls like a locomotive, but it's not always clear how it gets there. Temperatures reach into the 70s under CB20 continuous test, even with a Kraken X62, but it seems fine and actually expected from what I see online; Also, for some odd reason, my specific one seems to perform better (better CB20 scores, quicker render times) with the core voltage offset between -0.0875v and -0.1v - in other words, undervolted, even if the temperatures don't change at all.

I'm starting to get into the "ignore everything and enjoy the performance" camp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm trying to problem solve my BSOD's and random Restarts.

I have:
    • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    • Sabrent 1TB NVMe PCIe M2
    • Radeon RX5700 XT
    • Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor

I thought my issue was my M2 card (because I didn't use the riser nut and may have bent it)
    I did a fresh install and wiped the M2 and use it now as a second hard drive (I installed COD MW on it)
    Is there any surefire way to ensure that the M2 is working as expected?

What firmware/Driver versions would give me the most stable performance in terms of Motherboard, GFX and chipset?

I was also unlucky to have USB issues with my sound card like this: (https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperX/comments/dhnax2/bsod_with_hyper_x_cloud_2_on_windows_10_build/). I've removed that from the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Check out the dump file, see what caused it to crash, then try to reinstall that driver.

Then do basic hardware checks, CPU and memory, since if they go back they can cause any driver to mess up and crash the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Currently have a 1070 matched with my R5 3600. Thinking of an upgrade now while I can still use the sale of the current card to pay the bulk of the price of the new card.

Between the RX 5700, RTX 2060 Super, and RX 5700XT which would be the best value?

Purely for gaming, really don't care about Ray Tracing as I play competitive FPS games mostly and really just want the maximum Frame rate I can get at 1080 for most of my gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would personally think either the 5700XT or 2060 super are good buys at the same price point, 5700xt is bit better, both have good game promos on now as well, I recently got an AMD card and used the gamepass promo to play through three new AAA games (so far!), and it also came with free Borderlands 3 so amazing deal.

I'd personally take the 2060 super as I find Nvidia far more consistent with overall driver performance but either a good buy, Nvidia have free Modern Warfare at the moment too which is decent. Just avoid the reference design 5700 cards, not worth the saving, unless you don't care about heat and noise at all. Saving by getting a regular non-xt 5700 over either of the other two is small enough but it's not far behind the XT so also worth considering, €50 is €50 I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Threadripper 3000 series unleashed - will rip Intel a new arsehole.

Also a 2c/4t unlocked Athlon for 50 quid.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

If you don't me two years ago that Intel would be slashing prices and AMD would be setting them, I'd have thought you were mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

mossym wrote: »
    updated my gigabyte x570 pro bios to the new f10 version which has the new agesa code which is supposed to give a boost

pre update 10138 on time spy https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40234172

post update 10219 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40775180?

thats on a 3700x

Same here, haven't done a benchmark but got a pretty decent improvement in how long it takes the PC to turn on/off. I timed it yesterday and it's just over 15s to boot up now. I'll take it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Looking forward to seeing some benchmarks once the reviewers get their hands on it. Prices on the older threadrippers will probably come down a bit more as a result. I see that the 1920x is now £253 on amazon.co.uk which is a bit of a bargain for a 12C/24T processor for someone looking to build a decent dev / VM box on a budget.

At $2k I'd consider the 3970x as a drop in upgrade for my 1950x at some stage next year, though to be fair the 1950x is working really well for me and may not need the upgrade.

smacl wrote: »

At $2k I'd consider the 3970x as a drop in upgrade for my 1950x at some stage next year

The new thread ripper cpu's will not work with your current Morherboard. They and the new chipset are not backward or forward compatible.

• Advertisement

The new thread ripper cpu's will not work with your current Morherboard. They and the new chipset are not backward or forward compatible.

Bummer, previous speculation was that they would be. Probably push the upgrade out a bit further and make it a bigger one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

If you don't me two years ago that Intel would be slashing prices and AMD would be setting them, I'd have thought you were mad.

We know AMD is literally tearing Intel's sales apart in the builder/enthusiast segment - what I'd be curious about is to see how they're doing in the mainstream / integrated market however - I know even DELL now has AMD-powered laptops...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I am going with a 3950x for my Ireland rig but looking at the new hedt options, I think I would go for the 18core intel for my main rig over the AMD options.

deceit wrote: »
    I am going with a 3950x for my Ireland rig but looking at the new hedt options, I think I would go for the 18core intel for my main rig over the AMD options.

Just curious as to your reasons for the Intel 18 core.

Seems likely the 3950x is going to go toe to toe with it on performance and still be significantly lower on price. And the new threadrippers are going to be significantly better in almost every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just curious as to your reasons for the Intel 18 core.

Seems likely the 3950x is going to go toe to toe with it on performance and still be significantly lower on price. And the new threadrippers are going to be significantly better in almost every aspect.
    Thats why I'm picking a 3950x as my Ireland rig (replacing my 3700 that I sold). Ram is the main reason mostly, I dont need it day to day but when its needed its very important (I run 32gb day to day then switch in a slower 128gb kit when its needed) (My main rig requires more ram for work - work in IT sector). The extra bells and whistles of hedt are handy also.
    One of my servers in Ireland has a spare 256gb ram so I can run it on that whenever I'm in ireland so its not needed on my main rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm really hoping they slot a TR 3950X (naming will get confusing) in there somewhere next year.

Don't need that much compute (I'd be happy with 8-12 Zen 2 cores, to be honest), but the AM4 boards suck for IO (when compared to HEDT). Don't like the $1,400 cost of entry at all though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm really hoping they slot a TR 3950X (naming will get confusing) in there somewhere next year.

Don't need that much compute (I'd be happy with 8-12 Zen 2 cores, to be honest), but the AM4 boards suck for IO (when compared to HEDT). Don't like the $1,400 cost of entry at all though.

Given the new threadrippers need a new motherboard and are higher end cpus, the new motherboards could also be costly. Loss of tr4 and current gen threadrippers seems to leave a price performance gap in the amd line-up. Be interesting to see what an entry level threadripper3 build will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Upgraded my bios, didn't notice any real difference, but its done now at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just did a build for myself this week a Ryzen 3600x on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, kept my GTX 1070 Superclocked i got a while back.

Everything went well, build is spot on, BF5 and Assassins Creed Odyssey maxed out. All bios and chipset updates done also

But damn that wraith fan is a noisy hunk of junk in my otherwise quiet build. I am not looking for silent, but with the way these chips boost all the time the fan is up and down like a yoyo. Will swap to a coolermaster or similar soon i think.

smacl wrote: »
    Given the new threadrippers need a new motherboard and are higher end cpus, the new motherboards could also be costly. Loss of tr4 and current gen threadrippers seems to leave a price performance gap in the amd line-up. Be interesting to see what an entry level threadripper3 build will cost.

They will be costly. They also can be, AMD can set their price. Intel have nothing and nothing coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

All intel have is clock speed advantage but they do not have that in the HEDT space maybe by a few mega hertz but now where near the 5GHz they get in mainstream smaller core chips.

I think Adored from YouTube mentioned this and I'd tend to agree and that is their 10nm cannot get high clock speeds which is why they are still on 14nm. Makes sense as how many years have they held back 10nm now for a massive company with their own fabs. If they brought out 10nm chips their only lead at the minute would be gone, clock speed.

But they will eventually figure out how to get high speeds on smaller nodes so it's not like they are gone or will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

AMD are totally going to own the HEDT space now. Funny how Intel is the one who has to compete on prices now.

Not to mention, they already own the entry to mid level aswell - there's just no reason to buy an i5 with the R5 3600 around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Hey lads ... Can I get your opinion on upgrading from a amd 1600 to lets say a 3700 x

Im running a vega 64 as well and was wondering how an upgrade like this would look fps wise ?

Just get a 3600 if it's for gaming.
    Will play pretty much anything at 1440p high setting at 60+ fps, and far higher for competitive FPS games.
    The bottleneck will not be the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

weisses wrote: »
    Hey lads ... Can I get your opinion on upgrading from a amd 1600 to lets say a 3700 x

Im running a vega 64 as well and was wondering how an upgrade like this would look fps wise ?

I'd say you're alright for now unless you really want a performance bump.

I'd hold off until next gen then upgrade both.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

3950X reviews are out now. The biggest thing is that it can beat the i9-9980XE in lots of benchmarks despite being on a cheaper platform and having 2 less cores.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/301942-amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review-this-cpu-goes-way-past-11
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15043/the-amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review-16-cores-on-7nm-with-pcie-40
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review

To have AMD as top dog on the desktop CPU space again was totally unbelievable just 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

z0oT wrote: »
    3950X reviews are out now. The biggest thing is that it can beat the i9-9980XE in lots of benchmarks despite being on a cheaper platform and having 2 less cores.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/301942-amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review-this-cpu-goes-way-past-11
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15043/the-amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review-16-cores-on-7nm-with-pcie-40
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-review

To have AMD as top dog on the desktop CPU space again was totally unbelievable just 3 years ago.

It's great to see. We've badly needed some competition to keep Intel in line for a long time.

• Advertisement

I had planned since building my Ryzen system that I will upgrade my CPU to a Zen 3 chip. I made the decision after hearing about the 8 core CCX rather than the two 4 cores in each chiplet we currently use.

Advertisement