Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Any confirmation on whether older motherboards (b450s) will support Zen 3 when it launches next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I had planned since building my Ryzen system that I will upgrade my CPU to a Zen 3 chip. I made the decision after hearing about the 8 core CCX rather than the two 4 cores in each chiplet we currently use.

I think it's still 2 bonded 4 core CCX modules but with some sort of unified L3 cache instead of the split cache per CCX now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think it's still 2 bonded 4 core CCX modules but with some sort of unified L3 cache instead of the split cache per CCX now.

That would make sense, memory and mhz have been t the only achilles heel of the current architecture. If they sort that out Intel are in major trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Gigabyte are throwing out bios updates all the time between Beta bios' and "stable" bios'. More than likely just bug fixes. At least they are still at working on them and not just leaving the first bios they released. I have had no stability issues with any bios so far so who knows what they are fixing.

In this month alone there was F10a, F10c and F10d. There could have even been a b that I missed as i didn't check for a while after updating to a. And today the released F10 and dropped the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Looking to get a B450 motherboard for a ryzen 3600 for gaming only . Once I take the VRM into account, is there any reason not to just go for the cheapest MSI board I can find e.g. An B450M Pro-M2 Max?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Looking to get a B450 motherboard for a ryzen 3600 for gaming only . Once I take the VRM into account, is there any reason not to just go for the cheapest MSI board I can find e.g. An B450M Pro-M2 Max?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

According to this link below that has absolute garbage VRM.

https://i.redd.it/7n48gewun0p21.png

According to this link below that has absolute garbage VRM.

https://i.redd.it/7n48gewun0p21.png

Yeah, sorry I meant B450 A Pro Max using the following as a basis:

https://i.redd.it/2iwdy5wrrly31.png

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c7qj5e/am4_vcore_vrm_ratings_to_help_you_decide_on_a/

I saw the link you have before but a few other sources seem to say the B450 Carbon AC is the best for ryzen 3600, even better than the X470 Carbon AC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD are killing it BUT some people are like sheep and will still buy Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Theres not much left for Intel alright now,high framerate gaming at 1080p seems to be about it.

As long as they wont compete on price,and they do need to be cheaper,its gonna stay the same.

• Advertisement

New chipset driver out from AMD.

If a B450 board has a USB flashback BIOS capability, how easy is it to flash a new BIOS yourself?

I guess the real question is, can I buy a motherboard off amazon or should I go through CCL (or similar) who would do the bios flash for me?

Buying off amazon is significantly cheaper than CCL

Someone on here bought from CCL and paid the extra small bit for bios flash and they never done it supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Someone on here bought from CCL and paid the extra small bit for bios flash and they never done it supposedly.

I bought from CCL, bios flash is free if you buy an x470 or b450 mobo and a Ryzen 3000 series CPU but you have to select the "bios update" add on for the mobo which shows as £9.99 on the page but is deducted at the checkout.
    My mobo was flashed with an updatw from late June and was Zen 2 ready when shipped.

CCL was also about €25 cheaper for my combination of mobo, cpu, ram, and case than amazon, even after paying for shipping. Shipping was a lot faster than Amazon tends to be too. Had to RMA the ramkit as I couldn't get it to work at rated speeds on the MOBO, ccl refunded me promptly even thought it ended up being user error on my end. I thought the kit was rated and verified by the manufacturer for ryzen, but it was actually the 8gb version of the kit (2x4gb) not the 16gb version (2x8gb), but they sorted me out anyway and I was able to get a kit that was compatable at stated speed (3000mhz) instead.

tl;dw
    Ultra high-end AM4 motherboards:

Best VRM/Heatsink Combination: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
    Best Ultra High-End with Thunderbolt 3: ASRock X570 Creator

Well-rounded high-end AM4 motherboards:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
    ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
    MSI X570 UNIFY
    ASRock X570 Taichi

Cheapest 10GbE lan:

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate

Best mini-itx ryzen motherboards:

ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX

Barebones/go-to affordable X570 motherboards:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
    ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    ASUS Prime X570-P

Best B450 motherboards:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    MSI B450 Mortar Max

Cheap B450 motherboards that aren't totally garbage:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

Well, it could be worse dirt cheap board:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Has anyone with a 3600 struggled with high temps using stock cooler? Last night it was pushing low 90s while gaming at 1080p. I know it’s not an airflow issue in the case, as the GPU was at 64 degrees under full load.

Are you sure you have the cooler installed correctly. Also they cheaped out on the cooler this gen on the R5's and lower tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm curious did anyone else pick up a 3950x? They finally came back in stock so I figured I would treat myself, just waiting on it to be delivered today.
    If anyone got one of the initial round, how are they finding it?

deceit wrote: »
    I'm curious did anyone else pick up a 3950x? They finally came back in stock so I figured I would treat myself, just waiting on it to be delivered today.
    If anyone got one of the initial round, how are they finding it?

I don't get you! Waiting for it to be delivered today as in Sunday?

Has anyone with a 3600 struggled with high temps using stock cooler? Last night it was pushing low 90s while gaming at 1080p. I know it’s not an airflow issue in the case, as the GPU was at 64 degrees under full load.

I ended up getting a Wraith Max as they're only £13 on OCUK

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I ended up getting a Wraith Max as they're only £13 on OCUK

How is your build coming along? Or are you still waiting for parts?

I don't get you! Waiting for it to be delivered today as in Sunday?
    As in I ordered it and its on the way, I just have to be patient now and wait the few days it takes :)

How is your build coming along? Or are you still waiting for parts?

Up & running, just waiting for cable extensions from China so I can make her pretty & photogenic :pac:

I might actually sell on the Noctua NH-U14S as the Wraith Max is fine - think I'm seeing max 72-74C in games, and it's quiet enough that I can't hear it above game noise.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Does anyone else start to fall asleep listening to him ream off numbers in his videos.

Does anyone else start to fall asleep listening to him ream off numbers in his videos.

I always just look at the scores and skip to the next bunch of scores and repeat till he is finished.

Arrived back in Ireland/Dublin today to be greeted by my 3950x which arrived today. I've just put it in my watercooled rig and looking forward to using it over the next few weeks :)

Arrived back in Ireland/Dublin today to be greeted by my 3950x which arrived today. I've just put it in my watercooled rig and looking forward to using it over the next few weeks :)

Why did you get it sent to Ireland. Would it not have been cheaper in Germany?

Why did you get it sent to Ireland. Would it not have been cheaper in Germany?
    I have a 1950x based system in Germany and it wasn't worth upgrading that so I upgraded my Dublin rig.
    Now my dublin rig is:
    3950x, 32gb 3600mhz ram, Rtx 2080
    Germany Rig
    1950x, 32gb 3200mhz ram, Gtx 1080
    The Dublin rig was much more under powerful with an 1800x and a 980 ti so I felt it needed the upgrade first.

• Advertisement

Open secret now.

Ryzen 1600 stepping AF (YD1600BBAFBOX instead of old YD1600BBAEBOX / YD1600BBAEMPK) is basically a 2600.

Advertisement