Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Has anyone pre ordered anything yet?

Ryzen is supposed to support DDR4 memory speeds up to 3600Mhz as well. Ryzen boards will have a feature like intels extreme memory profile (XMP) called AMD Memory Profile (AMP). It will probably be board dependent but some of the boards listed show support for 3600Mhz through AMP.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpus-support-ddr4-memory-speeds-3600mhz/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked To 4GHz On All 8 Cores.
    We just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM’s were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I’d say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'm so tempted to pre-order but common sense says wait for reviews :o

The ipc looks good so far but i want somthing that i can overclock (play with) a bit more than 2-300 mhz.
    I have 4x4gb ddr4 atm and was going to use that but its seems that 2x8gb will be better for oc'ing with only two of the dimms populated :(

On the plus side EK are sending me out FOC a bracket for my cpu block to fit the new AM4 boards.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I am very tempted to pre-order as well, but just as a matter of principle I'm waiting for reviews. I'm also curious to see how much motherboards will affect overclocks.

But I'm sorely tempted to go nuts and do Ryzen+Evolv+WC build.

Edit: Speaking of!

dazberry wrote: »

I figured it would at least match the 1800x once overclocked which is insane value. A €360 i7 6900k killer. Your average workstation is about to get a big upgrade.

Gamers are going to want higher clocks though. The upper end 4/8's should be the best overclockers with the 6/12's somewhere in between.

• Advertisement

I think... I think Tom might be in the absolute **** for releasing this...

Serephucus wrote: »
    I think... I think Tom might be in the absolute **** for releasing this...

There's no NDA on the boards though is there? That's a really nice board though. If you're going for an 8/16 and want to overclock the bejasus out of it then it might be the go to board.

I've seen some of the Asrock boards have more power phases though.

I'm not sure. I assumed there would be something because of the launch date, or we'd probably have seen something from someone else before now. The only reason I'm thinking not is that Tom is happily showing the socket, which doesn't usually happen with reviews, but then I'm basing that off Intel boards, maybe AMD does things different.

I am very tempted to pre-order as well, but just as a matter of principle I'm waiting for reviews. I'm also curious to see how much motherboards will affect overclocks.

But I'm sorely tempted to go nuts and do Ryzen+Evolv+WC build.

Edit: Speaking of!

Thats the mobo i have my eye on although a fair bit more than i want to spend.

I saw someone else doing an unboxing of it this morning so I'd say he will get away with posting it early as it doesn't really give anything away imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm not sure. I assumed there would be something because of the launch date, or we'd probably have seen something from someone else before now. The only reason I'm thinking not is that Tom is happily showing the socket, which doesn't usually happen with reviews, but then I'm basing that off Intel boards, maybe AMD does things different.

NDA got lifted a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Well played AMD. I won't be ordering until the summer, but I'm looking forward to my first non-Intel CPU in yonks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think given the level of hype these leaks are generating, AMD is as concerned about nda agreements as Ryan Reynolds was about deadpool. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My poor Xeon is going to lose so much value though :D
    yeah, same situation here, im going to lose out on my 80euro x5650

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

game4it70 wrote: »
    Thats the mobo i have my eye on although a fair bit more than i want to spend.

I saw someone else doing an unboxing of it this morning so I'd say he will get away with posting it early as it doesn't really give anything away imo.

There's always a performance cost to pay for having a top tier motherboard but at least unlike Intel, AMD tend not to change CPU sockets as often so there is a bit of future proofing.

It's also worth nothing the Ryzen CPU's are more in competition with Intel's more pricey X99 platform that the Z270/Z170 platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

got this over in overclockers forum

its from a big hardware publication in hungry. To sum up the things he stated;

"Overclock is no problem at all. Though we can not say a certain frequency due to NDA, I can say that it is impressive. Overclockers will be happy."
    "I have friends from AMD Engineering department due to my experience in the hardware industry. Zen 2 or Zen B will be even more competitive. So we can say that Intel shall brood on the future"
    "With our overclocked 1800x sample,under Noctua cooler given by AMD, we have passed beyond the stock single thread performance of 7700k, in a specific bench, and the temps were great. We had no concern about temps during our run which passes the ST performance of 7700k."
    "In some benchmarks AMD(!). It seems ironical yes but AMD is presenting a CPU performance that Intel can not keep up with even with their 10 core 6950x!"
    "Breaking NDA won't be a problem since the scores are beyond fantastic. But we will stick with the tradition."
    "With one click I can reach great OC's. So I won't really bother with the manual OC no more."
    "Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
    "Intel shall shake themself. Because Ryzen will be a great choice for Overclock enthusiast."

sounding like some mighty impressive stuff amd have pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wonder which motherboard they were using as I have read on a number of forums that the cheaper motherboards aren't overclocking as good due to phases.

When I was reading those forums and I decided to look up my current motherboard specs and my board has a 24 phase VRM, I wish they spent that much money on VRM's now and not RGB and japanese capacitors for sound and gigabit LAN's. I am still on a 3 MB connection so what they hell do I need gigabit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder which motherboard they were using as I have read on a number of forums that the cheaper motherboards aren't overclocking as good due to phases.

When I was reading those forums and I decided to look up my current motherboard specs and my board has a 24 phase VRM, I wish they spent that much money on VRM's now and not RGB and japanese capacitors for sound and gigabit LAN's. I am still on a 3 MB connection so what they hell do I need gigabit.

Gigabit lan probably adds very little to the price and lots of people have >100Mb connections and many more will in the future so why not add it. How many people who are looking for great overclocks would save a few quid by getting a motherboard with only a 100Mb ethernet port? I doubt it would be more than a very small amount.

the asus hero motherboard seems to be the one all the overclockers on the different forums are looking at

Venom wrote: »
    There's always a performance cost to pay for having a top tier motherboard but at least unlike Intel, AMD tend not to change CPU sockets as often so there is a bit of future proofing.

It's also worth nothing the Ryzen CPU's are more in competition with Intel's more pricey X99 platform that the Z270/Z170 platform.

I've had a fair few Intel mobos over the years and in general for cpu overclocking having a top end board didn't improve the overclock over a mid range.Unless you need specific features a top tier board isn't worth it imo.
    Your right that at least with Amd you have a decent upgrade path as they dont eol sockets like Intel.

The prices of the cpu's are very good when compared to Intel's counterparts.My concern is that top tier boards are needed for better clocks but hopefully when reivews come out we will see more mid range boards that can clock well.

I have a 5820k but my mobo needs replacing so my options where to buy a new x99 board and keep the cpu or sell and the cpu and go for Ryzen.I was looking at a decent x99 board for £165 so thats why i dont want to pay £250 for an Am4 board.
    It makes so sense to change for me but the upgrade itch needs scratching badly as the wait for vega has been so long :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

got this over in overclockers forum

its from a big hardware publication in hungry. To sum up the things he stated;

"Overclock is no problem at all. Though we can not say a certain frequency due to NDA, I can say that it is impressive. Overclockers will be happy."
    "I have friends from AMD Engineering department due to my experience in the hardware industry. Zen 2 or Zen B will be even more competitive. So we can say that Intel shall brood on the future"
    "With our overclocked 1800x sample,under Noctua cooler given by AMD, we have passed beyond the stock single thread performance of 7700k, in a specific bench, and the temps were great. We had no concern about temps during our run which passes the ST performance of 7700k."
    "In some benchmarks AMD(!). It seems ironical yes but AMD is presenting a CPU performance that Intel can not keep up with even with their 10 core 6950x!"
    "Breaking NDA won't be a problem since the scores are beyond fantastic. But we will stick with the tradition."
    "With one click I can reach great OC's. So I won't really bother with the manual OC no more."
    "Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
    "Intel shall shake themself. Because Ryzen will be a great choice for Overclock enthusiast."

sounding like some mighty impressive stuff amd have pulled

Christ I am half tempted to just give away my 5820k and pick up a 8 core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

Always the same BS from AMD every year... they always launch a product saying "is better than", then ends being always below expectations. If you see they are always very picky in comparisons, no real world tests or whatsoever. They started going doing since they bought ATI in 2006. Intel has the monopoly, they just haven't put out in the market nothing new yet because they do not have competition.
    Even developers hate AMD due to their crashes when programming anything, it is not reliable.

To sum things up: if you are cold and poor, get AMD, if you are rich, buy Intel. End of story.

I will never rely on AMD for my work. Always had problems, and still see them on some customers devices.

sheepy01 wrote: »
    Always the same BS from AMD every year... they always launch a product saying "is better than", then ends being always below expectations. If you see they are always very picky in comparisons, no real world tests or whatsoever. They started going doing since they bought ATI in 2006. Intel has the monopoly, they just haven't put out in the market nothing new yet because they do not have competition.
    Even developers hate AMD due to their crashes when programming anything, it is not reliable.

To sum things up: if you are cold and poor, get AMD, if you are rich, buy Intel. End of story.

I will never rely on AMD for my work. Always had problems, and still see them on some customers devices.

Wow much hate there :eek:
    I'm glad that having an issue with a brand doesn't cause me to never buy from them ever again.I much rather actually read unbiased reviews and decide what product suits me best.
    I've owned Intel,Amd and Nvidia products and would never buy from them just because of their name as unlike yourself i dont look at brands with rose coloured glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

But how do you really feel?

You remind me of my one friend who has to buy Intel+nvidia just out of brand loyalty. You know amd has had better processor's than Intel in the past right? Ati+amd have had better gpu's than nvidia in the past. Pick what's best by performance not brand

Cinebench isn't really an amd specific program so can't see how that was cherry picked either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

When is the NDA lifted so we can get some full on reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Who the f**k is this guy?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

EoinHef wrote: »

Who the f**k is this guy?? :P

Mr Intel from the sounds of things.
    🀣🀣

You remind me of my one friend who has to buy Intel+nvidia just out of brand loyalty. You know amd has had better processor's than Intel in the past right? Ati+amd have had better gpu's than nvidia in the past. Pick what's best by performance not brand

Cinebench isn't really an amd specific program so can't see how that was cherry picked either

LOL it sounds like an Intel pro I know. The sad thing in this story is that there are only 2 brands in this market monopolizing the industry.
    We have worked a lot with systems and you cannot compare one to the other.

And for me, the greatest graphics card in history was the ATI 5970, that was WAY ahead for its time back in 2009. But now they remain unusable due to drivers. Still have massive power nowadays. Something happened back then, because they were on its way to glory. They should have spent money in software development for stability in the following years. I always got tired of waiting for AMD, as it was always the same story since.

I wish there were more than 2 companies to choose for.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Wow much hate there :eek:
    I'm glad that having an issue with a brand doesn't cause me to never buy from them ever again.I much rather actually read unbiased reviews and decide what product suits me best.
    I've owned Intel,Amd and Nvidia products and would never buy from them just because of their name as unlike yourself i dont look at brands with rose coloured glasses.

I get your point, I really do, from an end consumer view. I gave my opinion based on systems we were working on.

We've been studying flip chip-designs for the last 3 years and stability remained in Intel. Its like saying Android is more stable than iOS. Nothing else.

I entered the thread somehow hardcore lol. But you cannot imagine how much pain we suffered when having issues with AMD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How much are they paying you?

Advertisement