Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I was willing to let my 3700X go for €200 but took the ad down someone offered 175 and wanted me to pay for shipping also. Tbh I'm glad they didn't offer a fair price as I would have been without a computer for 4 weeks. Leaks suggested online to be announced today and released 20th.

release date is November 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

release date is November 5th.

I know that since the keynote went live that's why I said 4 weeks in post. Leaks before keynote said announced today and released 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What do we recokon is fair for a less than six month old 3600? €150?

I'd say the Zen 2 depreciation is about 30-40% but depends on availability of Zen 3.

I was thinking that but I think the cross CCX latency will be an issue.

is there a zen 2 example of that being an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

How big a deal is having “the best gaming gpu”. Is it a game changer do you think? People who want to have the best switch overnight to Ryzen for the first time?

I shop around the mid-range so this stack doesn’t seem to be that impactful for me unless Im missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Mucashinto wrote: »
    How big a deal is having “the best gaming gpu”. Is it a game changer do you think? People who want to have the best switch overnight to Ryzen for the first time?

I shop around the mid-range so this stack doesn’t seem to be that impactful for me unless Im missing something.

The top effects the market downward

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Overheal wrote: »
    is there a zen 2 example of that being an issue?

It's more of an example of it not being an issue. Enter the vapourware 3300X. I expect the 5800X to beat the 5900X in lightly threaded gaming but we'll have to wait for indepth reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

With the higher price point of the new ZEN3 chips, and the ZEN2 already having some discounts, is it unlikely we will see any further reductions, as a final clearance of ZEN2?

Will shops be happy to offer both for a while as there will be a clear price gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

ForestFire wrote: »
    With the higher price point of the new ZEN3 chips, and the ZEN2 already having some discounts, is it unlikely we will see any further reductions, as a final clearance of ZEN2?

Will shops be happy to offer both for a while as there will be a clear price gap?
    I'd love nothing more than to pick up a 3900X or even 3950X at a further reduced price for my server later later this year or early next year.

I'm hoping to see some reductions on the existing 3000 series. Things seldom work out that cleanly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Mucashinto wrote: »

Well Intel have maintained they have the fastest cpus for gaming over the last few years,which they have but depending on your point of view they were usually seen as not great value/diminishing returns. So its a big enough deal for AMD to be finally able to take the crown even though I'm not sure it means much to the majority of people as I dont see the majority buying a 5900X.

Id say most will get a 5600X as we have seen people mostly go for X600 cpus from ryzen so far with the X700being popular aswell. No 5700X yet though so looks like those folk would have to go 5800X if they buy now.

So yeah,its a matter of waiting for benches to see how the middle of the stack fares. Maybe see how overclocking pans out,although looking at the frequencies my guess would be not much headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well Intel have maintained they have the fastest cpus for gaming over the last few years,which they have but depending on your point of view they were usually seen as not great value/diminishing returns. So its a big enough deal for AMD to be finally able to take the crown even though I'm not sure it means much to the majority of people as I dont see the majority buying a 5900X.

Id say most will get a 5600X as we have seen people mostly go for X600 cpus from ryzen so far with the X700being popular aswell. No 5700X yet though so looks like those folk would have to go 5800X if they buy now.

So yeah,its a matter of waiting for benches to see how the middle of the stack fares. Maybe see how overclocking pans out,although looking at the frequencies my guess would be not much headroom.

Going to be weird seeing all the gaming test benches running AMD though as standard. One thing having Blender scores etc.

Curious to see how Jim from AdoredTv reacts to it tbh. He’s been so much in their camp but not sure if an endpoint of AMD having the best gaming CPU, which is also the most expensive is what he wanted.

Looking at clock numbers, that stack makes the 10700k look very very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Where do you see ryzen 2 discounts ?

weisses wrote: »
    Where do you see ryzen 2 discounts ?

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X is available for about £300 at the moment

The 5800X is set for $449 (£350) release price.

My question is if the 3800X is likely to drop further, if at all as new devices become available?

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X is available for about £300 at the moment

The 5800X is set for $449 (£350) release price.

My question is if the 3800X is likely to drop further, if at all as new devices become available?

5800x will not be for sale for 350 .... At least 400 pounds (just look up the current series dollar vs pound)

and the 3800x didnt really drop at all this year if you look at price trends

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5800x will not be for sale for 350 .... At least 400 pounds (just look up the current series dollar vs pound)

The 5600X would be good for gaming and productivity, any reason to spend more if you are gaming at 1080p or 1440p? Don't want to stream or any of that, just transcode videos via Plex and game, as well as using MS Office.

So any reason I should spend more and go up the stack?

So if the 5800x is going to be 400 and the 3800x 300 would you suggest picking up the 3800x now or could it drop more? (maybe wait till prime day next week at least)

This is a first pc build, mainly for photo editing (capture one/light room), general home pc and some light gaming.

My other option is a G14 zephyrus r7 4800h laptop, but will probably go down the build route.

I have a phanteks case ordered for a few weeks, as it was on offer, but out of stock at the moment, which suits until I make a decision (or they ship without warning and decision made)...

Tbh if you want a cheap Zen 2 CPU just pick up a second hand one as there will be a few on the market soon as people upgrade to a Zen 3 chip.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The 5600X would be good for gaming and productivity, any reason to spend more if you are gaming at 1080p or 1440p? Don't want to stream or any of that, just transcode videos via Plex and game, as well as using MS Office.

So any reason I should spend more and go up the stack?

Nope ... I wouldnt buy the higher spec cpu's

I would want to see the benchmarks between the 5600x and the top tier zen 2 cpu's

So if the 5800x is going to be 400 and the 3800x 300 would you suggest picking up the 3800x now or could it drop more? (maybe wait till prime day next week at least)

This is a first pc build, mainly for photo editing (capture one/light room), general home pc and some light gaming.

My other option is a G14 zephyrus r7 4800h laptop, but will probably go down the build route.

I have a phanteks case ordered for a few weeks, as it was on offer, but out of stock at the moment, which suits until I make a decision (or they ship without warning and decision made)...

A lot would depend on the stock situation at launch ,,, That is my guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

iqk0oz3hi0s51.jpg

Same thing happened with RX 5700/5700 XT prices, just saying...

I can guarantee 100% those are the set prices for release and a good while after. So no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

The whole price increases have put a real dampener on the new Zen launch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

In my experience buying cards over the years..that price for the 5900x which is stated at 549 dollars will be 464 euros if we are not gouged and add to that 21% vat which would leave us at
    561 euros at the cheapest..and i fully expect to be ripped off by uneven dollar to euro exchange too

There will be no dollars to euro exchange rate. The $450 dollar 5800X will be €450 here.

The more I think about it I'm not sure I will upgrade but then again I might. I will think about it more before I fully decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

There will be no dollars to euro exchange rate. The $450 dollar 5800X will be €450 here.

If you've ever shopped in USA, you'd know that the Dollar price you see there includes no taxes.

450 US dollars = 380 Euro
    Plus 23% VAT -> 467 Euro

So, we're doing better at 450 Euro.

Even if you were buying something in USA, depending where you were and where you got it from, you'd still pay Sales Tax, etc. You wouldn't get it for $450, whatever it was.

According to the renowned PC experts over at "GSM Arena" :cool: -

"The 5600X is the only one out of this bunch that will come with a stock cooler in the box."

If true, Is that another 30-50€ increase in anything above this level, as the ZEN2's come with the Wraith Prism Cooler?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

"The 5600X is the only one out of this bunch that will come with a stock cooler in the box."

If true, Is that another 30-50€ increase in anything above this level, as the ZEN2's come with the Wraith Prism Cooler?

It says cooler included on the AMD slides from the presentation and custom cooling required or something like that on the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anandtech are saying the same thing, that the 5800/5900/5950 won't come with a cooler

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16148/amd-ryzen-5000-and-zen-3-on-nov-5th-19-ipc-claims-best-gaming-cpu

Although I'm not sure what the sample size of people using the Wraith cooler with the likes of a 3800/3900/3950 were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Anandtech are saying the same thing, that the 5800/5900/5950 won't come with a cooler

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16148/amd-ryzen-5000-and-zen-3-on-nov-5th-19-ipc-claims-best-gaming-cpu

Although I'm not sure what the sample size of people using the Wraith cooler with the likes of a 3800/3900/3950 were

Gamers Nexus said that in his opinion, almost no one was using the included cooler with the higher end Zens. That said you could always flog it for a few quid on adverts, so it does represent a stealth price increase.

Advertisement