Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If I go with the current ZEN2 3800X, I would probable start with the included cooler, but yes, at some stage look to upgrade to an AIO, but its nice to have it available at the start in the box.

I think at this stage I am putting all my bets on some deals next week on prime day....or how far away is black Friday, when the ZEN3 will be available also for some ZEN2 deals :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

OCUK prices online.

5600X £289.99

5800X £428.99

5900X £529.99

5950X £749.99

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/amd/amd-socket-am4

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

When are Intel going to provide some real competition to AMD and put an end to their scalping :mad:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I seen online AMD are looking to purchase a company for big money. And this is from a company who nearly went bankrupt a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Inquitus wrote: »
    Gamers Nexus said that in his opinion, almost no one was using the included cooler with the higher end Zens. That said you could always flog it for a few quid on adverts, so it does represent a stealth price increase.

Sell the Wraith cooler, I have one sitting on my floor....lol.

Never thought in a million years someone would buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

The Prisms are really highly rated to be honest. Similar enough to a Hyper 212 performance wise.

The stealths are the intel cpu cooler equivalent and pretty shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I'd buy a prisim to upgrade my spire if it was a good price tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I was willing to let my 3700X go for €200

I will gladly take that off you for asking next month ;)

kingtiger wrote: »
    I will gladly take that off you for asking next month ;)

I may take you up on that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I may take you up on that offer.

if you decide to do it, drop me a PM

I am going to build a gaming PC for my son for Christmas and that would be a great start ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Good to see people on boards actually discussing the possibility of a sale positively as opposed to the caustic sh*t you see on Adverts at times

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is the 5800X a single chiplet? + controller

Overheal wrote: »
    Is the 5800X a single chiplet? + controller

Yes the same as now except previously it was two 4 core CCX's inside a single CCD chiplet. Now it is a monolithic 8 core CCD in a single chiplet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Disappointed there won't be a 65w 8 core successor to the 3700x, but then I realised the confusion the name would cause. Might pick up a cheap 3700x to replace my 2600. I'm sure it'll be fine to pair with big Navi for 4k gaming.

Have a cheap asrock b450m HDV r4.0 MB, which definitely won't take a 105w part. It can just about handle an overclocked 2600

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Simi wrote: »
    Disappointed there won't be a 65w 8 core successor to the 3700x, but then I realised the confusion the name would cause. Might pick up a cheap 3700x to replace my 2600. I'm sure it'll be fine to pair with big Navi for 4k gaming.

Have a cheap asrock b450m HDV r4.0 MB, which definitely won't take a 105w part. It can just about handle an overclocked 2600

I expect there will be a 5700X

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Prices don't make any sense on these. Hopefully the retailers will be selling them at less than that like last gen which was well under msrp for most of it. I got my Ryzen 3600 for only €175. €300 for the new 6 core is insane. Then an extra €150 to add 2 more cores to go to 8 but it's only €100 more to go from 8 to 12.

I guess the 8 core will be the best gaming cpu on the market hence the inflated price but the 12 core is the only 1 that seems to be reasonable value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You can bet your life OCUK wont be selling them less than MSRP. 5pm on November 5th they say they'll go live on their site.

Interesting that they are the only ones to have a go at listing prices but even then they say those prices are subject to change.

Yes the same as now except previously it was two 4 core CCX's inside a single CCD chiplet. Now it is a monolithic 8 core CCD in a single chiplet.

I would like to see that bench against the 5900X then. A pristine, single 8 core chiplet vs. 2 chiplets with 6 cores each and the 32MB cache, but with the cross-chiplet latency.

It's looking like the 5800X will be €470 and not €450 like I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

It's looking like the 5800X will be €470 and not €450 like I thought it would be.

Given you can get the 3700X for ~€300 non-sale price right now, that's a huge mark up.

I know you're looking at a 15-20% uptick in relative performance, but it's still poor value. Especially given the slim difference in 1440p gaming on a 3080 (and zero difference in 4k) between the 3600 and 10900k in the Hardware Unboxed video I watched earlier.

• Advertisement

There are prime day deals on Zen 2 but honestly they suck. $20 off a $400 CPU is weak.

As for benches, apparently the 5600X 6-core beats the gaming performance of the Core i7 10700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8TViCwFC3E

The 5600 launches in 2021 at $220.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75651/amd-ryzen-5-5600-could-dethrone-intel-costs-220-launches-in-2021/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR20MCqFEhfWzBjyHx9GTAS2-v4JS37vW1xHXVZ6IJrvEyc85pfPEf8-yR0

Given the 10700 is about $390 that's a bit of a gut punch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

5600 base clock isn't confirmed and may be dialled down a fair bit compared to the "Founder's Edition" which will probably not be that much cheaper than the 10700 over here anyway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Solitaire wrote: »
    5600 base clock isn't confirmed and may be dialled down a fair bit compared to the "Founder's Edition" which will probably not be that much cheaper than the 10700 over here anyway :/

The non-x series of zen processers tend to be exactly the same silicon without factory over clocking and can match the X SKU with minimal tuning.

I don't see why that would change from previous generations to this.

Every single review of Zen CPUs to date has basically been "the difference between X and non X varients is you pay €50 for the X in the name".

Even if it's £250 and "only" matched the 10700 it would be phenomenology good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anyone had any issues with the 3400g and its integrated GPU?
    I've had it a few days and started getting this issue where black screen will randomly appear for a few seconds like if someone plugs out HDMI then puts it back in again.

I have looked it up online and tried many different things including the bios on my motherboard but still getting the issue.

Really weird and annoying!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I had that happen to me before and it ended up being a cable issue

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Have you tried looking at the hardware? Cable or a different port on the motherboard?

Edit: Hyzepher in before me /shakes fist

The cable is only new and it was grand on the older setup. The motherboard and the cpu are brand new. So I don't think its the cable. Its improved the more I've played around as it was very bad at the start its less frequent now.
    Still annoying though especially when your watching something.

When it comes to hardware, brand new is actually a bad sign. The bath tub curve is well known issue in hardware. I'd confirm it with another cable that you know works elsewhere and/or try a different port on the motherboard (like a VGA or displayport if they have it). If you haven't, clean off any old drivers using DDU.

Just to get the full picture, is this a upgrade? New machine? Clean install?

Nothing worse than random issues that are very hard to repeat. Only way to narrow down the cause is eliminate what does and doesn't work. But rule of thumb is if it's random its usually hardware. If its repeatable, you can then at least fix it in software.

Coyler wrote: »
    When it comes to hardware, brand new is actually a bad sign. The bath tub curve is well known issue in hardware. I'd confirm it with another cable that you know works elsewhere and/or try a different port on the motherboard (like a VGA or displayport if they have it). If you haven't, clean off any old drivers using DDU.

Just to get the full picture, is this a upgrade? New machine? Clean install?

Nothing worse than random issues that are very hard to repeat. Only way to narrow down the cause is eliminate what does and doesn't work. But rule of thumb is if it's random its usually hardware. If its repeatable, you can then at least fix it in software.

The motherboard Cpu and Ram where all upgraded.

Everything else was either removed or kept as. This is the only issue I am having currently and I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems less frequent when PC is idle then if I'm on YouTube for example.

• Advertisement

So, potentially old drivers. Just be sure you've cleaned them off at the very least. And less frequent when idle makes me think you've got a heat issue. Run Hwinfo while you are doing things and log the tempreture. I'd still rule out faulty hardware. Your mind can play tricks on you.

Advertisement