Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sheepy01 wrote: »
    Always the same BS from AMD every year... they always launch a product saying "is better than", then ends being always below expectations. If you see they are always very picky in comparisons, no real world tests or whatsoever. They started going doing since they bought ATI in 2006. Intel has the monopoly, they just haven't put out in the market nothing new yet because they do not have competition.
    Even developers hate AMD due to their crashes when programming anything, it is not reliable.

To sum things up: if you are cold and poor, get AMD, if you are rich, buy Intel. End of story.

I will never rely on AMD for my work. Always had problems, and still see them on some customers devices.
    Cinebench R15 is an industry standard test, and based on a real-world scenario (rendering).

Intel just released Kaby Lake, so I doubt they have ANYTHING in the pipeline other than i5-7640K / i7-7740K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Had a 7970 for 4 years, fantastic card, now have a 1080, I go where the performance is and from everything I've read these new ryzen CPUs are shaping up to give Intel's entire range a good trouncing in price and performance, and Intel need a good waking up, theve all but brought desktop CPU development to a standstill with their monopoly.

But I agree that we do need to wait for user benchmarks for more details, specifically over clocking.

IMO though, Intel are about to have a bad time for a while. Well deserved as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Venom wrote: »
    When is the NDA lifted so we can get some full on reviews?

Tuesday 28th afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

LOL it sounds like an Intel pro I know. The sad thing in this story is that there are only 2 brands in this market monopolizing the industry.
    We have worked a lot with systems and you cannot compare one to the other.

And for me, the greatest graphics card in history was the ATI 5970, that was WAY ahead for its time back in 2009. But now they remain unusable due to drivers. Still have massive power nowadays. Something happened back then, because they were on its way to glory. They should have spent money in software development for stability in the following years. I always got tired of waiting for AMD, as it was always the same story since.

I wish there were more than 2 companies to choose for.

There is so much bias in your posts its hurts.

You claim this launch has no real world benchmarks, where AMD have been doing nothing but trying to show real world benchmarks since multitasking is where 8 cores will shine. Lots of hype is coming out but its not from AMD. Its from the reviewers who have watched Intel stagnate hard, like they did in the past.

You claim that Intel has had zero competition, when the reality is AMD has been competing well everywhere except the high end in the cpu market. Their APU's have gotten very good over the last few years and are a better cost/performance buy over Intel. Both chip makers are loosing badly right now to ARM.

You claim that AMD chips crash all the time, implying that they had some fundamental x86 flaw. They don't.

You claim developers hate Intel chips. Most developers have little to no knowledge about hardware. For a good while in Bulldozers life, the 8 core AMD chips were better then the equivalent priced 4 core non hyper-threaded Intels.

And most good companies are pushing developers onto VDI so they can share resources for compiling, compounding the fact they have no idea what hardware they are running on.

You claim the 480 is some power hog in comparison to the 1060. Its not, 120watts to 150watts isn't exactly mind-blowing difference here for their market segment.

You claim AMD have horrible driver issues, well they don't. Both companies have long since left such major problems behind them.

Everything you have said is heavily tinged with observational bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well said man. All I could come up with was how much are they paying you?

I wouldn't put it past Intel to be paying trolls to talk **** about AMD.

• Advertisement

Well said man. All I could come up with was how much are they paying you?

I wouldn't put it past Intel to be paying trolls to talk **** about AMD.

ha intel would do better than that to be fair, like lock 4k netflix to kabylake........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Always the same BS from AMD every year... they always launch a product saying "is better than", then ends being always below expectations. If you see they are always very picky in comparisons, no real world tests or whatsoever. They started going doing since they bought ATI in 2006. Intel has the monopoly, they just haven't put out in the market nothing new yet because they do not have competition.
    Even developers hate AMD due to their crashes when programming anything, it is not reliable.

To sum things up: if you are cold and poor, get AMD, if you are rich, buy Intel. End of story.

I will never rely on AMD for my work. Always had problems, and still see them on some customers devices.

The biggest load of crap I've ever seen posted on this forum.

its up there all right haha

Not having a go at the poster. I'm sure you have your reasons but all of the evidence suggest AMD are on to a winner this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

There is so much bias in your posts its hurts.

You claim this launch has no real world benchmarks, where AMD have been doing nothing but trying to show real world benchmarks since multitasking is where 8 cores will shine. Lots of hype is coming out but its not from AMD. Its from the reviewers who have watched Intel stagnate hard, like they did in the past.

You claim that Intel has had zero competition, when the reality is AMD has been competing well everywhere except the high end in the cpu market. Their APU's have gotten very good over the last few years and are a better cost/performance buy over Intel. Both chip makers are loosing badly right now to ARM.

You claim that AMD chips crash all the time, implying that they had some fundamental x86 flaw. They don't.

You claim developers hate Intel chips. Most developers have little to no knowledge about hardware. For a good while in Bulldozers life, the 8 core AMD chips were better then the equivalent priced 4 core non hyper-threaded Intels.

And most good companies are pushing developers onto VDI so they can share resources for compiling, compounding the fact they have no idea what hardware they are running on.

You claim the 480 is some power hog in comparison to the 1060. Its not, 120watts to 150watts isn't exactly mind-blowing difference here for their market segment.

You claim AMD have horrible driver issues, well they don't. Both companies have long since left such major problems behind them.

Everything you have said is heavily tinged with observational bias.

ARM is on a different level and cannot be compared to desktop processors, they are on mobile devices which architecture is used by Apple, Samsung or Qualcomm in SoC. Still you can find Intel on mobile platforms too, not like AMD.

If AMD was going so well, Samsung or Microsoft wouldnt have been interested in buying it, as they both wanted it for the mobile industry. It has had massive losses.

AMD had horrible driver issues and still has. APUs had more issues because of the integrated GPU than the processor itself, but now are way better, that's true.

AMD has own the low and mid market, yes. But nothing more than that.
    Nothing high end. And as my point of view was applied for work, stability or heavy load in other industries, Im sorry mate, but never seen AMD there.
    And what about the 480, why do you bring it up? because its funny, it didn't even make it past 2 weeks since it had its first issue. And again I insist on the drivers thing I said before.

I hope I am wrong this time with this new line of processors, I really hope. I did trust AMD back when the 5970 era when their work was stunning.

But now saying this about AMD makes me an Intel pro lover? do I have anything else to rely on for work? I wished!!
    I hate Fiat, am I a Honda lover? why? maybe because there are 100 other car brands?

As I said before, its like comparing Android to iOS!! I will eat my shorts if someone here says Android is more stable. And again there is not much to chose in that market either.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not having a go at the poster. I'm sure you have your reasons but all of the evidence suggest AMD are on to a winner this time around.

I really hope you are right. We will truly see how it develops over the next months.

actually ryzen is coming to mobile too, if they carry their apu tech into that market they could do amazing, also ryzen has been in development for 5 years as far as ive read, would explain the absence. amd is doing fantastic btw, dont they supply all the consoles pretty much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sheepy01 ey? He even sounds like a sheep

Apparently Intel have preemptively slashed their pricing across their entire range by roughly 20-35%. Seems like they are taking Ryzen seriously. It won't be enough.

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

NM article has a bad source. WCCFTech is a rumor mill site though. I should know better but it will inevitably happen.

actually ryzen is coming to mobile too, if they carry their apu tech into that market they could do amazing, also ryzen has been in development for 5 years as far as ive read, would explain the absence. amd is doing fantastic btw, dont they supply all the consoles pretty much?

They got that market just because their bid was lower and offered a cheaper solution than nVidia. In price nobody can compete with AMD.

Ryzen is being in development for 5 years, you are right. But it is for laptops and notebooks where it is coming, not other mobile platforms like phones or tablets (if that is what I understood).

intel need to slash more than 20-30% imagine you bought a 6900k and they reduce it by 200euro a month later haha. oh theres going to be some pissed off consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ryzen is being in development for 5 years, you are right. But it is for laptops and notebooks where it is coming, not other mobile platforms like phones or tablets (if that is what I understood).

As it should be.

Intel face planted trying to take the RISK market. Meanwhile they've been lazy in the CISC market as AMD havent been competing. Meanwhile Qualcomm/ARM are belting along full belt with some decent output from nVidia.

Would have been suicide for AMD to try and take on that market. Undercutting Intel was the right move.

They got that market just because their bid was lower and offered a cheaper solution than nVidia. In price nobody can compete with AMD.

the reason they got the console market was down to their vastly better igpu tech

AMD don't need the mobile market. If they can get back into the desktop, gaming, workstation, server and laptop markets which they should then they are going to skyrocket in value. They already have.

The console market is sewn up as well as AMD are the only company who can offer APU's with both a good CPU and GPU and now even graphics memory all possible on 1 chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The thing is that the console market is not very profitable though and AMD really needs Ryzen and Vega to sell excellently or else as a company they're in really serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD don't need the mobile market. If they can get back into the desktop, gaming, workstation, server and laptop markets which they should then they are going to skyrocket in value. They already have.

The console market is sewn up as well as AMD are the only company who can offer APU's with both a good CPU and GPU and now even graphics memory all possible on 1 chip.

Nintendo Switch is using an all-Nvidia solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

But its also not really a console. Not in traditional terms. Its closer to a Shield than anything else.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

A weak sauce mobile product. It's an ARM cpu as well is it not?

When AMD combo Ryzen and Vega 11 into an APU with a bit of HBM thrown in nothing will come close in the APU market.

I'd say Microsoft's Scorpio will be using that combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

A weak sauce mobile product. It's an ARM cpu as well is it not?

When AMD combo Ryzen and Vega 11 into an APU with a bit of HBM thrown in nothing will come close in the APU market.

I'd say Microsoft's Scorpio will be using that combo.

Consoles have never use the latest GPU tech in the past and seeing Scorpio is due this year I'd be very surprised not only if they used such a monster APU but if it was even ready by then.

got this from overclockers

PnfkmKK.png

N7xTXdi.png

:eek::eek::eek: 4.4 as a push button feature, must be fairly reliable to get that overclock, think its from a gigabyte board

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I didn't know Spinal Tap made motherboards.

these-go-to-eleven-2.jpg

Venom wrote: »
    Consoles have never use the latest GPU tech in the past and seeing Scorpio is due this year I'd be very surprised not only if they used such a monster APU but if it was even ready by then.

AMD are on track for launching this year. This is the roadmap for their APU's.

AMD-Desktop-Socket-Roadmap-2016-2017.png

A 4/8 Zen with NG graphics which is Vega at 35-95w.

There's a laptop version as well at 3-30w.

If anything I'd say Microsofts delay in launching is waiting for this tech. They quoted 6.5 Teraflop FP32 compute performance as well. There's no way they are getting this without Vega.

microsoft could use that apu tech for the surface pro 5 as well, really really looking forward to what amd has to offer (something i never thought id think last summer while building a new rig)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

got this from overclockers

:eek::eek::eek: 4.4 as a push button feature, must be fairly reliable to get that overclock, think its from a gigabyte board

I saw that post too.I thought it was fake straight away but I could be wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Zen APU's paired with fast DDR4 might be able to hit RX480 speeds on the GPU.

I expect big things anyways, don't think they'd be licensing iGPU's to Intel if they didn't have something much better up their sleeves.

Advertisement