Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Didn't someone on here have trouble with a Amazon basic HDMI cable and once they swapped it out for a different HDMI cable their issues went away.

I'm not saying they are bad cables but this guy/girl had a issue with one. I can't remember which thread it was in but it was fairly recently.

I've heard all sorts of spotty experiences with AmazonBasics across the range so it wouldn't surprise me, just figure with it being their home brand your mileage will still be pretty decent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've seen them and Monoprice mentioned a lot.
    Ibra gets mentioned too.

I'll order by end weekend just have to see which one.

I've managed 1080p at 60hz and 4k at 30hz solid now tonight so the issue must of been 4k 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I'm glad you have sort of fixed the issue.

Well I'm glad you have sort of fixed the issue.

Cheers and seriously lads thanks for all the help here last day or so! Otherwise i would have just been googling and reading the same links over and over and getting nowhere haha.

I've seen them and Monoprice mentioned a lot.
    Ibra gets mentioned too.

I'll order by end weekend just have to see which one.

I've managed 1080p at 60hz and 4k at 30hz solid now tonight so the issue must of been 4k 60hz.

Yeah definitely not adequate for what you're doing so.

So I don't know if its dodgy advertising on the cable or caveat emptor. They say its a 2.0b cable, (a and B added HDR supports), so max bandwidth is 18 Gbps, And 4K @ 30Hz is something like 10+ Gbps, so it would seemingly fall shy of support 60 Hz.
    This enables HDMI 2.0 to carry 4K video at 60 Hz with 24 bit/px color depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

So 60 Hz 4K sounds like it would only work for the most basic of display settings, and not very many channels of audio either, which also eat bitrate up. Once you enable HDR support or whatever you seem to break the cable's capacity. Hence the need in your case (and at this point, anyone buying new cables to have hanging around into your senility) to buy an HDMI 2.1 that will support 48 Gbps, which the spec provides for shedloads of room for your setup here.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah definitely not adequate for what you're doing so.

So I don't know if its dodgy advertising on the cable or caveat emptor. They say its a 2.0b cable, (a and B added HDR supports), so max bandwidth is 18 Gbps, And 4K @ 30Hz is something like 10+ Gbps, so it would seemingly fall shy of support 60 Hz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

So 60 Hz 4K sounds like it would only work for the most basic of display settings, and not very many channels of audio either, which also eat bitrate up. Once you enable HDR support or whatever you seem to break the cable's capacity. Hence the need in your case (and at this point, anyone buying new cables to have hanging around into your senility) to buy an HDMI 2.1 that will support 48 Gbps, which the spec provides for shedloads of room for your setup here.

How about this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WN8C7XV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sdGIFbMY3BK3Q

Looks baller.

Bit misleading marketing but it would do the trick - eg. why 8K @ 60 Hz and 10K @ 120 Hz? :confused:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/vc/f77a77c8-395a-40e9-97ca-caaa4af1c427.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

10K @ 120 Hz is supported by the 2.1 standard but that's the edge case and probably bugger all for HDR and high channel audio at that high of load. It should be able to tackle anything at 4K

Overheal wrote: »
    Looks baller.

Bit misleading marketing but it would do the trick - eg. why 8K @ 60 Hz and 10K @ 120 Hz? :confused:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/vc/f77a77c8-395a-40e9-97ca-caaa4af1c427.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

10K @ 120 Hz is supported by the 2.1 standard but that's the edge case and probably bugger all for HDR and high channel audio at that high of load. It should be able to tackle anything at 4K
    I'll order it so! Just wish I hadn't of wiped my computer last night before I found out it was the cable haha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Did you not have zero issues with the discrete GPU and the same cable?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Did you not have zero issues with the discrete GPU and the same cable?

Ya the GPU was hdmi 1.4 though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Install went fine , thanks for the info
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Well this is mad. It's not even the high end chip. AMD 5600X in first place single core score on passmark benchmark.

530251.jpg

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

RIP intel. Final nail in the coffin.

BloodBath wrote: »
    RIP intel. Final nail in the coffin.

AMD obviously knew which is why they jacked the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Well this is mad. It's not even the high end chip. AMD 5600X in first place single core score on passmark benchmark.

530251.jpg

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Bejaysis

Why is the @ Speed Hz not listed for it

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Any idea where would be the best place to buy these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Question - About to make the switch to Ryzen 5800x- is it best wait til the launch on Nov 5th to pickup a new motherboard? Or will it work on any existing x570 boards? Don't wanna buy a board in advance if the CPU won't work out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Shlippery wrote: »
    Question - About to make the switch to Ryzen 5800x- is it best wait til the launch on Nov 5th to pickup a new motherboard? Or will it work on any existing x570 boards? Don't wanna buy a board in advance if the CPU won't work out of the box.

You can buy right now and update the motherboard for the new CPUs.
    There's no guarantee that a motherboard bought after Nov 5th will be flashed with the latest BIOS, which supports the 5000-series. It would likely depend on the vendor to tell you if it was or not.

If you're going for a X570, get one that can be flashed without a CPU.

• Advertisement

Ah ok - I think that answers my question - if i'd be able to flash it _without_ owning a previous chip. (coming from Intel so would be a clean slate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Ah ok - I think that answers my question - if i'd be able to flash it _without_ owning a previous chip. (coming from Intel so would be a clean slate)

The motherboard needs to have a decicated flashback option, what board are you looking at?

I got recently an Asus Prime x570 pro (prime day warehouse deal) that does not have flashback, so my my limited option below are...

1) 3700x/3800x plus Gpu TBC

2) 5600x/radeon 6800(x) combo*

*To achieve 2 I will need a current cpu to upgrade bios first.

I'm half thinking of getting a 3200g/3400g for 100-120euro to have as a starting point for my build and upgrade later to the higher end gear.

My needs are general home computer, photo editing(capture one) so I can live for a few months without games before upgrading again.

Edit:- The X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard does have flash back option and this can be updated for the new CPUs, with a USB stick (With Bios file) and the push of a button on the motherboard.

ForestFire wrote: »
    The motherboard needs to have a decicated flashback option, what board are you looking at?

I got recently an Asus Prime x570 pro (prime day warehouse deal) that does not have flashback, so my my limited option below are...

1) 3700x/3800x plus Gpu TBC

2) 5600x/radeon 6800(x) combo*

*To achieve 2 I will need a current cpu to upgrade bios first.

I'm half thinking of getting a 3200g/3400g for 100-120euro to have as a starting point for my build and upgrade later to the higher end gear.

My needs are general home computer, photo editing(capture one) so I can live for a few months without games before upgrading again.

Edit:- The X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard does have flash back option and this can be updated for the new CPUs, with a USB stick (With Bios file) and the push of a button on the motherboard.

Not looking at any particular board to be honest, have £200 Amazon credit sitting in the account to soften the blow of 5800x/Mobo upgrade, so hoping for whatever makes the most sense! Will be pairing it with my Gigabyte Windforce 2080 for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Some companies like overclockers or scan may offer to flash the bios for you before shipping, could be worth looking into.

Scan will let you check out with amazon wallet so it may be possible to use your amazon credit that way... Haven't tried it myself. They also offer "broke it during installation insurance" which is nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Does anyone know when the sale of the new AMD CPUs is supposed to start?
    I know Nov 5th, but not the time, and I don't see it on scan or overclockers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Apparently most B550 and X570 boards have had Ryzen 5000 support built into their Bios for a while now and should work out of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

JoyPad wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the sale of the new AMD CPUs is supposed to start?
    I know Nov 5th, but not the time, and I don't see it on scan or overclockers.

There are links available for the devices (some with pricing), but option to buy not yet available.

This article covers most of them for UK.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/ryzen-5000-series-cpus-appear-in-uk-retailer-listings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was thinking about the 5800X for a new build but really not sure. It's £420 or something, that's £70 more than the 10700K which I can't imagine it being much better than, if even.

I know people are always pointing to the 5600X single core score, but that's only parity with Intel at it's stock clock, which is much higher than the Intel base clock, and the chart doing the rounds only has Intel base clocks, so not really a fair comparison at all.

Like, the 10700K at 3.8Ghz, when realistically most people have it at 4.7Ghz all-core. I have a 3700X right now myself because I got a great price on it, but for high refresh gaming it does lag significantly behind Intel counterparts.

It's the pricing of Ryzen 5 that really kills it for me. £300 for the 6 core 5600X, £420 for the 5800X. It just doesn't sit right me with when a octo-core 10700K is £340 right now.

And when you can get that 10700K to close to 5Ghz on all-cores with a good cooler as well.

Ryzen's been amazing because it's been so cheap, amazing value for money, and forced Intel to drop prices big-time. But did they really have to push out their prices by such a huge margin this time around?

I feel like they are taking a big risk with trying to square up to Intel on a 1:1 basis rather than undercutting them severely and offering unbeatable value for the vast majority of the consumer market as they did with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen.

Not looking at any particular board to be honest, have £200 Amazon credit sitting in the account to soften the blow of 5800x/Mobo upgrade, so hoping for whatever makes the most sense! Will be pairing it with my Gigabyte Windforce 2080 for now...

I know Gigabyte have a bios flashback and all you need is a usb stick. No CPU needed to flash the bios.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    I was thinking about the 5800X for a new build but really not sure. It's £420 or something, that's £70 more than the 10700K which I can't imagine it being much better than, if even.

I know people are always pointing to the 5600X single core score, but that's only parity with Intel at it's stock clock, which is much higher than the Intel base clock, and the chart doing the rounds only has Intel base clocks, so not really a fair comparison at all.

Like, the 10700K at 3.8Ghz, when realistically most people have it at 4.7Ghz all-core. I have a 3700X right now myself because I got a great price on it, but for high refresh gaming it does lag significantly behind Intel counterparts.

It's the pricing of Ryzen 5 that really kills it for me. £300 for the 6 core 5600X, £420 for the 5800X. It just doesn't sit right me with when a octo-core 10700K is £340 right now.

And when you can get that 10700K to close to 5Ghz on all-cores with a good cooler as well.

Ryzen's been amazing because it's been so cheap, amazing value for money, and forced Intel to drop prices big-time. But did they really have to push out their prices by such a huge margin this time around?

I feel like they are taking a big risk with trying to square up to Intel on a 1:1 basis rather than undercutting them severely and offering unbeatable value for the vast majority of the consumer market as they did with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen.

Intels single core clock is not base clock it is the max turbo clock which for most current gen Intel CPU's is clcose to 5GHz some are even 5.2GHz.

Advertisement