Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm not planning on upgrading, but from my own perspective, it's a pity that there's no 65W 8-core - at least not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know if there's any B450 boards that are zen 3 ready now (with a bios flash obviously).?

You'll be waiting till January before Zen 3 support come to that chipset. Only X570 and B550 have support at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone know if there's any B450 boards that are zen 3 ready now (with a bios flash obviously).?

None.
    But cheap B550 exist so why wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    None.
    But cheap B550 exist so why wait?

Went with an msi b550 gaming plus in the end.
    Comes in at €125 after a €30 cash back offer from MSI right now, seems a decent deal. Pairing it with some 3600mhz cl18 ram, a 512gb Viper NVMe ssd, and my 3080.

Should get at least 60fps in TF 2 with that I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Whats the best way of getting the CPU cooler off without ripping the CPU out of the socket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Whats the best way of getting the CPU cooler off without ripping the CPU out of the socket?

Run the machine for about 15 mins before attempting to remove the heatsink.

Is it stuck because of suction? wiggle it, twist, slide, until it comes off. Don't lift it off with the cpu or force it up as you might damage the pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Should just come right off once you've undone all the mounting screws and removed the mounting bracket. Give it a twist and you should break the sort of seal by the paste as opposed to pulling upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Amazon has shipped my 5600X! Delighted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

cromelex wrote: »

Aren't they due to go on sale tomorrow anyway?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Aren't they due to go on sale tomorrow anyway?

Yes, but I managed to get a pre-order in today and it's already shipped which I find quite surprising.

Especially compared with the current Ampere Nvidia cards (currently queued for a 3070)..

My CPU will arrive friday from amazon but my new case, ram, PSU and motherboard won't arrive until mid next week.
    No fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

cromelex wrote: »

Ah well done- i was looking yesterday for a preorder on this but didn't find one-

What motherboard will you use it on?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

My CPU will arrive friday from amazon but my new case, ram, PSU and motherboard won't arrive until mid next week.
    No fair.

This is the way

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So Zen 3 launches in a matter of hours but no sites in the US have product pages for it.

Remind me again which one I'm buying? :o

531832.PNG

Overheal wrote: »
    So Zen 3 launches in a matter of hours but no sites in the US have product pages for it.

Remind me again which one I'm buying? :o

531832.PNG

I'd have ordered a 5800x if I'd the choice. Infact my 5600x may be returned to amazon if I find a 5800x before tuesday (when the rest of my stuff arrives from CCL).

You already have a 5600X?

I'm leaning toward the 5600X because for the +50% extra money to do 5800X it doesn't seem to justify the add of 2 cores and 100 Mhz of clock speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm leaning toward the 5600X because for the +50% extra money to do 5800X it doesn't seem to justify the add of 2 cores and 100 Mhz of clock speed.

If it's primarily for gaming the 5600X will be the best bang for buck. The difference between 6 and 8 core CPU's is negligible in most games and given the Series X and PS5 are essentially using underclocked 3700X's I don't see that changing too much in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

Any chance the 5600X will be on Amazon UK this morning? Or has it already sold out (RE: the smile.amazon link from a few messages back)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Is anywhere selling these yet? I am looking to replace my 3950x with a 5950x and was hoping to buy it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

deceit wrote: »
    Is anywhere selling these yet? I am looking to replace my 3950x with a 5950x and was hoping to buy it today.

Right there with ya.

Will share if I find out anything

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Thor wrote: »
    Right there with ya.

Will share if I find out anything

In the same boat...but im not hopeful..demand is massive and stock levels are low..going to be a bit of a lottery i reckon

I think it's supposed to go on sale at 9am ET which is 2pm Irish time, but I guess you'd want to be checking all morning just in case. I see ccl have updated their page with a note to say it's limited stock and you'll have 15 mins to complete checkout (if you manage to get one into your basket).

ozmo wrote: »
    Ah well done- i was looking yesterday for a preorder on this but didn't find one-

What motherboard will you use it on?

Have a Gigabyte Aorus X570 mini itx waiting for it. Bought as an open box ("like new" on Prime day for less than a b550).

The link to the product page is still not working, but expected delivery on my 5600X is Sunday (to parcelmotel).

I'll go mad waiting for the 3070 to arrive before I can put it all together!

Just ordered the 5600X from scan there. Happy out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

Currently unavailable on Amazon UK... did it even go live there yet?

Got my 5600X from Newegg.

The 5800X was much more expensive and out of stock than I was expecting - $650!? https://www.newegg.ca/promotions/amd/20-2641/index.html?cm_mmc=snc-facebook-cnv-_-global-can-_-promo-_-productlaunch-_-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPUs-_-110520

150% the price of the 5600X for 2 more cores on the chiplet and 100Mhz uplift? Noooooooooo thanks.

Also picked up An unconventionalish choice for my motherboard (for me) breaking tradition with ASUS, I liked the features etc. on the Asrock Taichi X570, all those fancy buttons and widgets I won't use but once when I'm on the test bench :P and pretty boring non-RGB RAM, But G.Skill Ripjaws is great ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Got a 5900x from scan. Memoryc.ie have 5800x if anyone is looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Well that was a nightmare..i expected it as well...on 6 different sites managed to get 5800x into basket...only managed to get invoiced from scan for full amount..then scan emailed me saying "expected deliver 30th november".....god damn it

Advertisement