Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

older and slower

• 18-08-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Im 35 and just gone back playing football after a couple of years of not playing competitively.

I didnt put on loads of weight or anything but in my first few games back I have felt so slow and sore. My legs are stiff and heavy and every time I try to open up and sprint I feel like im going to rip a hamstring or groin. I have been running over the past few months in preparation but its still hurts.

I understand as you get older it gets harder but im not that old that it should hurt to run around a pitch.

Ive had a few muscle injuries down through the years and my question is, is stretching the answer? Or foam rolling? How often should I be stretching and stuff like that or is it time to hang up the boots??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

tastyt wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Im 35 and just gone back playing football after a couple of years of not playing competitively.

I didnt put on loads of weight or anything but in my first few games back I have felt so slow and sore. My legs are stiff and heavy and every time I try to open up and sprint I feel like im going to rip a hamstring or groin. I have been running over the past few months in preparation but its still hurts.

I understand as you get older it gets harder but im not that old that it should hurt to run around a pitch.

Ive had a few muscle injuries down through the years and my question is, is stretching the answer? Or foam rolling? How often should I be stretching and stuff like that or is it time to hang up the boots??
    can you pass these tests? If not then thats ONE of the factors - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2013/01/4-mobility-tests-to-reduce-risk-of-injury/

most peoples mobility is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than they think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Transform wrote: »
    can you pass these tests? If not then thats ONE of the factors - http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2013/01/4-mobility-tests-to-reduce-risk-of-injury/

most peoples mobility is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse than they think it is

Thanks for that, I will try those later but I really doubt I could do them. How often a week would stretching need to be done to have benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

tastyt wrote: »
    Hey lads,

i'm very much in the same boat as you.However I'm 47..!
    Played competitive soccer at a fairly high level up until 34.
    Gave it up then and concentrated on weight training for the next 12 years.Put on about 25kgs in that period.I weighed a fairly trim 105kgs.

Anyway I decided to get back playing soccer about 2 months ago.Nothing competitive just a 6 aside kick around which has progressed to playing in a proper league team.

Mobility and flexibility was the big problem.I started using the techniques in 'supple leopard' and doing limber 11 EVERY day.
    My hips and lower back were almost seized up before I started but now are as flexible as they were 20 years ago.

I was lucky as I never had any bad injuries and have tree trunks for legs.First night back was seriously difficult but I can now train twice per week with a game thrown in too.Down to a very trim 95kgs now and alls going well.

I foam roll and barbell smash every second day.I use limber 11 twice every day.
    Warm up and cool down properly before every training session and match.
    I could give 30-45 mins cooling down after exercise between foam rolling and everything.
    So at 35 you really should have no problem getting back in shape but it does take an effort.

Advertisement