Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cursed! Snapped dip stick

• 18-08-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Feck sake not having the best of luck - sorted the valve cover and just changed the oil this morning and between testing etc the top of it never came back out

Have a spare from my breaker but any ideas how to get out the broken piece? Its about 2-3 inches long I reckon

MR2 mk2 3SGE engine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Can you get at the dip stick tube to remove that? Not much access room I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Can you get at the dip stick tube to remove that? Not much access room I suppose.

I'm going to try this is the morning, I believe it can be seperated with a 10mm bolt - I tried the hoover trick but that didnt work unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭cletus

cletus wrote: »

Have one and thought of it already - theres a curve in the tube unfortunately so no dice - appreciate the suggestion though ;)

A5RMtuK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How far down is it?

Would a match stick and glue work or a straw or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

How much of it broke off?
    Will it be a sump off job if its small piece?

jobseek wrote: »
    How much of it broke off?
    Will it be a sump off job if its small piece?

2 - 3 inches - I think I'm just gooing to have to try and remove the tube and see how i go from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Try a wire coat hanger with plasterers mesh on the end that might do the trick.

alta stare wrote: »
    Try a wire coat hanger with plasterers mesh on the end that might do the trick.

how will that retrieve the piece - I have a spare dip stick I just want to get the old piece out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

how will that retrieve the piece - I have a spare dip stick I just want to get the old piece out

The coat hanger can easily bend and the mesh is an adhesive which the bits should stick to whem contact is made. Should work in theory that is if iv read your issue correctly.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    The coat hanger can easily bend and the mesh is an adhesive which the bits should stick to whem contact is made. Should work in theory that is if iv read your issue correctly.

I see what you mean - I'm going to try and move the tube out first I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes looking at your diagram possibly 10 or 12mm nut/bolt holding tube into position,remove and if possible maybe a small long nosed visegrips to help assist in turning and pulling tube out,wd40 quick spray might help also. once removed from engine push the dipstick up and out.

greasepalm wrote: »
    yes looking at your diagram possibly 10 or 12mm nut/bolt holding tube into position,remove and if possible maybe a small long nosed visegrips to help assist in turning and pulling tube out,wd40 quick spray might help also. once removed from engine push the dipstick up and out.

think thats the only way to do at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

2 - 3 inches - I think I'm just gooing to have to try and remove the tube and see how i go from there

let us know how you get on

No dice - looks like ive to drop the sump - balls!

Should be ok to drive? I'd imagine the strainer should stop it drifting into the engine

fPo5cY0.jpg

xBQLJk7.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the tube pull out of the short piece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You could try draining the oil again and see it it washes out? If not you might be able to fish it out through the sump drain with a magnetic retriever.

kbannon wrote: »
    Does the tube pull out of the short piece?

Its pressurised - uses a union and an O-ring

Change the O-ring and insert into guide and bolt down - thats how toyota do it apparently

Took ages to release it wiggle and pull eventually freed it.

Pete67 wrote: »
    You could try draining the oil again and see it it washes out? If not you might be able to fish it out through the sump drain with a magnetic retriever.

thats a great idea - Come to think of it I've one of those snake cams from aldi (used it running cables in the gaff) as well so this will be my next course of action

Cheers ;)

71149732.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

this thread is like the mystery safe one. I need to know how it'll all end - in triumph or tragedy? :pac:

• Advertisement

this thread is like the mystery safe one. I need to know how it'll all end - in triumph or tragedy? :pac:

:pac: Ahem - just collected the dip stick from my breaker mr2 -

spot the difference :mad:

4iZ1iYS.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

spot the difference :mad:
    The new one is a hurl?

The new one is a hurl?

Well played sir :D

So it is with great embarrassment that I announce the dipstick was not snapped at all - I obviously confused it with a previous car i owned :o

I think when I dipped it it was the opposite way around and thats what threw me off - a lesson in humility :p

In my defence I was off a night shift and all the cogs weren't turning in the head.

Bloody nuisance but thanks to all the wannabe Macguyvers that helped on this non-mission :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The new one is a hurl?

Well played sir :D

So it is with great embarrassment that I announce the dipstick was not snapped at all - I obviously confused it with a previous car i owned :o

I think when I dipped it it was the opposite way around and thats what threw me off - a lesson in humility :p

In my defence I was off a night shift and all the cogs weren't turning in the head.

Bloody nuisance but thanks to all the wannabe Macguyvers that helped on this non-mission :cool:
    I dunno, why was that car in the breakers? Could his dipstick have broken as well, causing catastrophic engine failure? Better drop the sump just in case!

no it's sound

I'm the dipstick that looked at it backwards. Sometimes it's the simplest explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go pick up Hurley and start hitting yourself many times.... Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Far better you thinking you broke it and didn't than thinking you didn't and did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

At least you have a spare now! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You Dipstick...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

:confused:

sorry i'm a bit dim witted, but i just can't my head around that...the picture shows a yellow handle on one end..so how could you put it in the wrong way?

philstar wrote: »

:confused:

sorry i'm a bit dim witted, but i just can't my head around that...the picture shows a yellow handle on one end..so how could you put it in the wrong way?

Oil level gauge is etched on one side of the stick only ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

go buy a peugeot or citroen as they break their ends off so you have no idea how much oil is in the sump.

Advertisement