Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Flea stuff to get

• 18-08-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

So yeah exactly what it says on the thread name

Have used them small ones that are 7 euro in Dunnes and Bathed both my collies and there still itching like mad

This came about because our lawnmower broke down last year and we haven't been able to afford to fix it till now so the back where the lads go out to the toilet has gotten overgrown pretty badly

Basically wanting to know the best way to rid them of the little bastards for good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I'd say the frontline spot on stuff is pretty good, or ask your vet, avoid supermarket stuff or cheap brands as they are often flea repellents and don't kill them. Just make sure you don't bath your dogs for 4 days before and after using it as they rely on oils in their coats to spread well, it may take two doses 8 weeks apart to get rid of them. The length of grass won't have any affect on fleas but where your dogs sleep is where the fleas will breed and hide, so wash all their bedding on a hot wash! If you have carpets then Hoover really well everyday for a week to really help get shot of them, if they are really bad you can use stuff like Vetkem Acclaim which you spray all through your carpets to kill the little buggers!:). I think the warm weather hasn't helped as the fleas love it and multiply like mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Fortunatley we don't have any carpets so that's not too bad I'm beginning to think our Cat is the culprit as I had thought a few weeks ago they were improving after using said supermarket stuff but they have just gotten worse again and my OH swears the Cat doesn't have any . we didnt' do him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Have you inspected your dogs to ensure that they actually have fleas?
    Part their coats around neck/shoulder area with your fingers, white bits are best, and look for small moving creatures?
    If you cant see anything, there can be other reasons for itching!
    Do that same with the cat - if the cat has fleas you need to dose the cat too
    You need to take the dogs bedding and wash it in hot water cycle
    Go to the vet, and get a SPOT ON treatment for the dogs, by their weight and the cat too.
    I would recommend ADVOCATE as it zaps worms/fleas/mites - for cats and dogs - and starts to work pretty much immediately. FRONTLINE is good too
    Supermarket brands of flea killers are pretty much weak/useless - pet shops too dont have license to sell the 'serious' flea killers - you need to get it from the vet.
    You are at nothing though if you dont do all 3 animals at the same time, wash their bedding, and re-dose them again in a months time (or whatever the repeat time is for the product you buy - vet will tell you) - you dont have to see a vet - the receptionist/nurse will sell it to you over their counter

Oh yeah there crawling

well good in that you can fix the flea problem easily - as opposed to a skin/allergy! Off you go to the vet for 3 packets of ADVOCATE or FRONTLINE or some other vet recommended anti-flea - go with an approximate weight of the 2 dogs and the cat. Dont forget to wash every item of bedding - and collars - and any mats/rugs they sleep on - give the floors a good wash/vacuum (under skirting etc) while you are at it

• Advertisement

How long does it usually take to work we put it on last night and we can still see fleas on them :/

what product did you use?
    Were they badly infested?
    Are the fleas moving?
    If its Frontline or Advocate they will start to work quickly - the chemical is absorbed into the dogs system - see this:

FRONTLINE Plus will spread over the coat of your pet within 24 hours and will continue to be effective for 8 weeks on dogs and 6 weeks on cats. Any fleas that jump onto your pet will die within 8-24 hours. Be aware, however that the adult fleas on your pet represent only 5% of the total flea population.

Advertisement