Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Westmeath County Council

• 18-08-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,
    I recently applied for a Clerical Officer position for Westmeath County Council. I received an email inviting me for an aptitude test on the 1st of September. Just wondering has anyone else applied and heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrsA2014

Hi I have similar aptitude test coming up for Longford County Council - just wondering how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lilybuds

Hi I had my interview for Westmeath CoCo last week was tough enough a lot of council questions....not very confident..show else have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrsA2014

Lilybuds wrote: »
    Hi I had my interview for Westmeath CoCo last week was tough enough a lot of council questions....not very confident..show else have one?

Were there many interviewing you?
    Had my initial assessment today was fine..how long until you hear of you have made the interview stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MrsA2014 wrote: »
    Were there many interviewing you?
    Had my initial assessment today was fine..how long until you hear of you have made the interview stage?

I would imagine that there will be 2 (but it could be 3) interviewing you.

If you get that far, do a bit of research on the Council -
    What is the total budget ?
    What do they spend it on?
    Where do they get the money?
    What big projects are they undertaking ?
    How many on the housing list?
    How much does a planning application cost?
    Any contentious issues in the county, town - traveller halting site ?, windfarm application ? etc.
    Best option for info like that would be a senior council employee.
    Have an opinion on anything you are asked and stick to it - it doesn't have to be "right" , but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. (you need to be able to back it up though)

Finally, if you put stuff on your CV, make sure you can talk about it (for instance, if you put down that you worked for company X for 2 years, know what they do/make, were they a good company to work for,why did you leave)

Stay relaxed and remember, as a lecturer said to me one day, "the questions differ but the answers are always the same"

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

320 applications I heard for this job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lilybuds

Yes 3 on interview panel heard they interviewed 40...not sure ...yes brush up on Co Council

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ryaners210

What was the aptitude test like? was it like the revenue ones or easier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Lilybuds wrote: »
    Yes 3 on interview panel heard they interviewed 40...not sure ...yes brush up on Co Council

Did you get offered a position yet? I'm well into the teens so I'm not too hopefuly

Ryaners210 wrote: »
    What was the aptitude test like? was it like the revenue ones or easier ?

Verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and clerical checking.
    Not too hard really, just time constrained as you aren't given any indication of how long you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ryaners210

Thats a great help thanks very much was it a written one or on a computer like the revenue one?

• Advertisement

Ryaners210 wrote: »
    Thats a great help thanks very much was it a written one or on a computer like the revenue one?

Never did one for revenue.
    Its written (fill in the circles) not that it would make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ireland2015

Just wondering does anybody know if the numerical is hard? Any suggestions on practise material?

Just wondering does anybody know if the numerical is hard? Any suggestions on practise material?

It would depend on the person I got near full marks and I wouldn't be a maths genius at all. But I am only a couple years out of college and I worked with numbers before so I didn't find it challenging. However, if you are and older person who has not worked with numbers/mental arithmatic in quite a while it may be a different story. Practice material I couldn't really advise unless you looked up numerical assessment tests or they provided a samples. Overall you either have the ability for it or you don't.

Advertisement