Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Security - Aero Bars, Banned Item?

Options
  • 18-08-2016 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I'm flying to Mallorca in the next few days and renting a bicycle over there. The shop I'm renting from charge €8 a day to have bars put on, which seems a waste of money when I have my own bars at home. If I bring my own instead, is there any chance of them being confiscated at airport security? I only intend traveling with hand luggage, so checked baggage is not an option.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Get your bike from another shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just do without?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Raam wrote: »
    Just do without?

It's not really an option for me. I'm going back for an Ironman at the end of September and for this trip I want to get a chance to practise the descents in the race on aero-bars.

I'd be surprised if a metal bar is allowed in the cabin. Just check a bag or rent them. I've had a small multitool prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought you were referring to CHOCOLATE!

Sorry, hope you have a nice time. Haven't a clue about these iron bars for a bike though.

Was just skimming the latest posts. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't have even considered that they might be prohibited if I was in your shoes. I've brought a lot worse through.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wouldn't risk anything out of the ordinary like that. It's largely down to the discretion of whoever is on that particular checkpoint at that particular time. If they are ever unsure they will usually err on the side of caution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've certainly brought worse might be worth a call to the daa?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even if you get some kind of assurance from the DAA (and I suspect they would be reluctant to do so over the phone - even if they do that's no guarantee when you get to the security check) you still have to get them back which involves another airport

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Raam wrote: »
    .. or rent them....
    See OP -- €8 a day to rent. Hence the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Try buying a cheap pair over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

A camera tripod is on the list of allowed items (and I've carried mine through Dublin Airport on a few occasions) - be amazed if aero bars weren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A camera tripod is on the list of allowed items (and I've carried mine through Dublin Airport on a few occasions) - be amazed if aero bars weren't allowed.

Aero bars are not a tripod...it really depends on the staff on duty at the time., If you can show them some official paperwork that says there allowed, fine. But if you can't I sus pect they will be confescsted.

See OP -- €8 a day to rent. Hence the thread.

I'm proposing that it's worth considering it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Apparently it's because the air sealed inside the bubbles expands as the altitude increases, and then these are prone to 'bursting', which can lead to a sound like a tiny tiny machine gun going off, which is obviously a liability on the plane. My advice is to take Wispas instead - if you look at the bottom of a Wispa, you'll see it's full of holes - this is to allow the air to escape without damaging the structural integrity of the chocolate in such situations. Also they are far nicer than Aeros. Unless you're having Aero Mint, but those should be fine to bring on the plane, as the mint content of the bar keeps the chocolate naturally cool and prevents the previously mentioned expansion of the air in the bubbles. Hope that helps.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Aero bars are not a tripod...it really depends on the staff on duty at the time., If you can show them some official paperwork that says there allowed, fine. But if you can't I sus pect they will be confescsted.

Well a tripod is much heavier than a pair of aerobars and would make for a better weapon (if that's the concern).

They are not on the list of restricted items

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/prohibited-articles-list-passengers.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I do think sending them an email is the best idea, they are quite helpful in my experience.

Well a tripod is much heavier than a pair of aerobars and would make for a better weapon (if that's the concern).

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/prohibited-articles-list-passengers.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I do think sending them an email is the best idea, they are quite helpful in my experience.
    As I've already mentioned they have to come back as well as go out

The wider point is nothing to do with their weight - pretty much everyone knows what a tripod is. Not everyone will recognise tri-bars. That results in suspicion which in turn leaves a risk of confiscation (at either airport). Unless there is something definitive from both airports why take the risk? Is using "proper" road bars that much of an issue?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Apparently it's because the air sealed inside the bubbles expands as the altitude increases, and then these are prone to 'bursting', which can lead to a sound like a tiny tiny machine gun going off, which is obviously a liability on the plane. My advice is to take Wispas instead - if you look at the bottom of a Wispa, you'll see it's full of holes - this is to allow the air to escape without damaging the structural integrity of the chocolate in such situations. Also they are far nicer than Aeros. Unless you're having Aero Mint, but those should be fine to bring on the plane, as the mint content of the bar keeps the chocolate naturally cool and prevents the previously mentioned expansion of the air in the bubbles. Hope that helps.
    Not sure about this. In my experience the chocolate also expands. Perhaps not as much as the air, but enough to temper any of those "explosions" to a level the airlines will typically accept.

Agreed... At the opposite end of the scale is a nail clippers... IMO ithere useless as a weapon, but you can't bring them in your hand luggage!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agreed... At the opposite end of the scale is a nail clippers... IMO ithere useless as a weapon, but you can't bring them in your hand luggage!

Nail clippers are allowed...

• Advertisement

Ok eh a penknife?

I know... Plucking at straws now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for the replies. If there's even a small risk of them bring confiscated, then I don't want to take it. I'll just leave my bars at home and pay the €8 a day rental fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

This is correct. It is the nail file attached that is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd have presumed you'd be checking in a bag for shoes/shorts/tools/pump/tubes/pedals of choice/helmet blah blah blah insert all and any of the myriad of sh1te you need to take with you on a cycle, and that you'd throw your aerobars in there?

I'm off to the States tomorrow and hoping to get out for a cycle and there's no way I'd get all the gear I need along with day to day clothing etc in one carry on bag!
    If 8 euro a day is onerous, then you must be doing a lot more than one day's cycling so you'll need a lot of gear.

Anyway, sticking to the OP (for a change) I don't know if you'd get them through security, all it takes is one snotty guy to take a dislike to them, and it's never an argument you're going to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

€8 a day, surely checking a bag is cheaper if you're in for a few days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I brought a kryptonite New York Fagheddaboutit lock through airport security here and abroad. They went and checked was it OK here and the other side never even questioned it.

I would stick them in your check in luggage but I can't see any problems considering the things you are allowed carry. Maybe ring the airline or airport security, and ask if you are very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    .....Maybe ring the airline or airport security, and ask...
    The problem with that is that someone sitting in an office saying it's ok is totally disconnected from the person checking your bag at a different date/time who will always revert to the 'if in doubt, leave it out'. They won't provide you with anything in writing/email even if they say in advance that it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would be surprised if they would let them through! Much easier to say no to remove any doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

zico10 wrote: »
    I'm flying to Mallorca in the next few days and renting a bicycle over there. The shop I'm renting from charge €8 a day to have bars put on, which seems a waste of money when I have my own bars at home. If I bring my own instead, is there any chance of them being confiscated at airport security? I only intend traveling with hand luggage, so checked baggage is not an option.

Thanks.

Just check-in your hand bag. There is no cost for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

grogi wrote: »
    Just check-in your hand bad. There is no cost for that.

Really ... I wasn't aware of that! Handy if you're bringing CO2 etc

Advertisement