Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Security - Aero Bars, Banned Item?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Isn't the Stephen Roche Cycling Tour in Mallorca ? Perhaps an email to them to see if anyone has brought Tri-Bars or if anyone reported any issues with bringing them into Mallorca. That would cover Mallorca and then an email to DAA to cover Dublin. That's what I would do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You'll be grand. I've brought so much weird sh*t through airports, most of which looks far more questionable on an X-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

grogi wrote: »
    Just check-in your hand bag. There is no cost for that.

That's not quite true. You need to get to the gate and OFFER up your bag for the hold at that point. In my experience anyway, so you would still have to go through security.

What can be free, is hand luggage IF you are checking in another bigger bag aswell.

BTW I had to go out an buy an Aero Bar at lunchtime. I got a goo on me for chocolate after reading the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Why is this triathlete not being slagged? What the heck is wrong with you lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

My shoes and pedals (speedplay) caused a bit of a huddle in Shannon back in April but got through in the end.

Had the phone ready to give a bloke a call who works in security there and also cycles.

No problems coming back from Majorca.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My shoes and pedals (speedplay) caused a bit of a huddle in Shannon back in April but got through in the end.
    This highlights the issue for me. Despite being "inoffensive" in the eyes of someone familiar with the "objects", not everyone understands what tri-bars are and whether its possible to misuse them. Just needs one individual (at either end) to raise concerns and there's a risk you lose them. My simple point is why bother taking the risk when there are at least 2 simple risk-free alternatives (hire locally, or, god forbid, make do with "regular" bars)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Beasty wrote: »
    This highlights the issue for me. Despite being "inoffensive" in the eyes of someone familiar with the "objects", not everyone understands what tri-bars are and whether its possible to misuse them. Just needs one individual (at either end) to raise concerns and there's a risk you lose them. My simple point is why bother taking the risk when there are at least 2 simple risk-free alternatives (hire locally, or, god forbid, make do with "regular" bars)

As mentioned regular bars are not an option as the soap is looking to recky a rave route and test as close to race conditions as possible to ensure they are comfortable with the corners etc ok the bars and to know when and where they may have to switch from the bars to brakes etc.

Reading the Ops log in TDAR forum you will see that at that end of the race it's the small seconds that count and will get him in the big island

Seems you are best to rent or try check a bag. Half tempted to say maybe a cheap set that will not be missed if they are confiscated and then you can maybe save?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

What about the small co2 containers? What's the likelihood of getting them on a plane, in the baggage hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ozzy jr wrote: »
    What about the small co2 containers? What's the likelihood of getting them on a plane, in the baggage hold?

There not allowed....But, that assumes you declare them. If your travelling with a bike, they will probably ask you if you have any. If you have, they'll take them from you.

I travelled to Majorca last month, we were renting bikes, so I only had check in luggage. While I didn't have any, my travelling companion had two in his checkin luggage.

Last year, I was travelling with a bike and I was asked how many I had. When I said I had one I was told that's OK as your allowed two per bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I checked in a cabin bag both direction free a few weeks ago. Ryanair out - Aer Lingus home. ( guess who was 2 hours late - hint - they didn't get to play their stupid music)

• Advertisement
Advertisement