Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a webcam to view Skype through my HDTV?

Options
  • 18-08-2016 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Tried Googling and got a few different answers, so has anyone here got advice?

Have a laptop; HDTV; HDMI cables etc and know what to connect and where (I think) but some sites say an ordinary webcam won't work but that a TV camera will be needed.

We will be seated 5-6 feet away from the tv on the couch (no more huddling around the laptop) so would a webcam with speaker give a clear enough picture and sound?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I would think it should work OK - but a lot of webcams are low resolution things (1.3 megapixel), so if the far end are watching on a big screen, it might look crappy. The same will be true in reverse, if the far end are using a crappy webcam, it'll look pretty naff on your screen.

I Presume you meant:
    so would a webcam with speakermicrophone give
    If you are sitting 5 feet away, it might be an idea to have some form of microphone closer to you as otherwise it'll sound like you are in a very echoey toilet. If you had a bluetooth headset that you could hold close to you, it might make the audio better.

I presume you've got decent broadband?

If you don't like the results you end up with, it shouldn't cost the earth to upgrade to a better webcam and proper remote microphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Tried Googling and got a few different answers, so has anyone here got advice?

Have a laptop; HDTV; HDMI cables etc and know what to connect and where (I think) but some sites say an ordinary webcam won't work but that a TV camera will be needed.

We will be seated 5-6 feet away from the tv on the couch (no more huddling around the laptop) so would a webcam with speaker give a clear enough picture and sound?

Thanks
    Personal experience, have computer connected to 42" TV, skype audio via TV speakers fine.
    Not so fine is a 1.3MP web cam for distance, couch is easily 2meters from TV.
    Audio pick up is fine but image on other end is very pixilated.
    Only used 8 times a year so not worth investment of better webcam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Sound lads, there are some good quality webcams on Amazon which are fairly cheap so I'll review the HD ones with the best microphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are only really two webcams suitable for large screen viewing like that, the Logitech C920 and the MS Lifecam competitor. Everyone agrees the C920 is the better, so grab that.

Advertisement