Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish in America (HELP)Work Prospects in United States (Boston,New York , Chicago

Options
  • 18-08-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys im 21 and would love to go over to America and work for a year or two. I know id have to sort visas and such but just wondering is there much work out there im not fussy at all and work 6 days a week here at home. I have good expieremce in bar work and construction but really would do anything that would be half decent pay. What is the work scene like in Boston / Chicago ATM ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi guys im 21 and would love to go over to America and work for a year or two. I know id have to sort visas and such but just wondering is there much work out there im not fussy at all and work 6 days a week here at home. I have good expieremce in bar work and construction but really would do anything that would be half decent pay. What is the work scene like in Boston / Chicago ATM ?

Thing is you can't just sort visas, it's not like Canada where you can just apply for a visa and work in anything. Best chance is that graduate visa which you can access in the first 12 months after you finish a college degree. Diversity visa odds are increasing year on year and it takes over a year to actually get to the stage where you can move. Other work visas tend to be restricted to specific skills or experience and are hard to get. Think Canada might be a better fit for you

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

athtrasna wrote: »
    Diversity visa odds are increasing year on year

I wish it was increasing odds, wouldn't that mean better odds? :D:D:D

Not being mean OP but by the sounds of your post you have zero idea of how hard it would be to do what you're asking. I'm guessing you're not in college because you'd know about the J1.

They have millions of unemployed Americans, do you really think they'd give a menial labor job to a foreigner over a hard working American? Bar work? seriously?

Sorry to burst the bubble. We've all had the dream but it really looks like either win the diversity lottery or be an absolutely amazing specialized manager or worker. That's the only way in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have a look at Fado Irish Bars website. They sometimes bring staff from Ireland, to work in their bars. They take care of the visa paperwork too. Other than that, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

PM Sent.

Advertisement