Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabba sizing.

Options
  • 18-08-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I'm Thinking of buying a Gabba 2 long sleeve jersey for myself but can't figure out what size I require. Wiggle has hundreds of reviews but basing the size on what others have said gives me three possible sizes, M, L & XL. Castelli sizing says I'm a medium but many reviewers say go up a size in castelli clothing. I have a castelli/Felt jersey and its L and a snug if short fit in the body. I want a race fit but not at the expense of feeling stitched into it.

For reference I'm 180cm tall, 76kg with 38/39in chest.

Also, can anyone tell me if the Galabier is comparable to the Gabba or if it's s better option (and cheaper)

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Go up a size - the Gabba isn't totally comfortable without a thin layer underneath...I find it a bit claggy on its own. But as a winter jacket/jersey it's very versatile (tho I prefer the short one, with nanotech armwarmers, myself).

Personally, I found the Galibier (the Mistral, IIRC) much less breathable than the Gabba. But many others here love all things Galibier, so you'll likely get other views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks. I most definitely want breathable, I have enough boil in the bag jackets/jerseys without the need for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

O.P.
    Where have you found the best price, please.
    I'm thinking of a Gabba 2 as well.

Apart from size, I'm wondering which to go for:
    Short sleeve
    Long sleeve
    Convertible.

Any thoughts?

This is best price, I've seen

https://www.mantel.com/ie/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve?gclid=CjwKEAjwudW9BRDcrd30kovf8GkSJAB3hTxF-vVcUkIYEaeaTEYtawUMNk-kUJjHtAWW7NHBtsfcqhoCJcPw_wcB

although looking at this site, I don't think, they have your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I'm Thinking of buying a Gabba 2 long sleeve jersey for myself but can't figure out what size I require. Wiggle has hundreds of reviews but basing the size on what others have said gives me three possible sizes, M, L & XL. Castelli sizing says I'm a medium but many reviewers say go up a size in castelli clothing. I have a castelli/Felt jersey and its L and a snug if short fit in the body. I want a race fit but not at the expense of feeling stitched into it.

Also, can anyone tell me if the Galabier is comparable to the Gabba or if it's s better option (and cheaper)

Any help appreciated.

I'm 170cms 38", and 74 kgs
    Size M in most things is a good fit. I have a L gabba which is perfect for me.

Rb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive a lond an short sleeve. Rarely worn either as I was of bike much if winter.

I'm 5'11/180cm hover between 81-84 kilos and take xl whereas I'd be large in most other brands or and a medium with Gore stuff which is all loose fitting.

Theyre a little short in the front but only if standing, but have flap at the back for covering the beginning from spray. This snags on my saddle without fail and annoys me

If you were in dublin I'd offer to let you try mine and snap those wheels of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

188cm, 75kg and I wear a Large Gabba 2 long sleeve. A medium would not fit me.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    O.P.
    Where have you found the best price, please.
    I'm thinking of a Gabba 2 as well.

Apart from size, I'm wondering which to go for:
    Short sleeve
    Long sleeve
    Convertible.

Any thoughts?

This is best price, I've seen

https://www.mantel.com/ie/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve?gclid=CjwKEAjwudW9BRDcrd30kovf8GkSJAB3hTxF-vVcUkIYEaeaTEYtawUMNk-kUJjHtAWW7NHBtsfcqhoCJcPw_wcB

although looking at this site, I don't think, they have your size.

Merlin were cheapest at €137 inc free postage however they only have black available in size L and I really wanted the red version but I can get red from PBK for €148 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

I'm 182cm tall and 76kg. Size L in a Gabba 2.

Edit:
    I recently bought a Mistral ll. Not worn it in anger yet. Got size large too. It's definitely not as fitted as the Gabba but I can't see how a medium would fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Have a convertible in XXL, am about 191cm tall, and a bit over 90kg. Might squeeze into an XL if I tried, but would probably be a bit short in the front. PBK have a very good price on red or blue convertibles at the moment: http://www.probikekit.co.uk/brands/castelli/gabba.list?switchcurrency=EUR&locover=true

Having said that, I recently bought a set of nanoflex armwarmers and might prefer them to the sleeves on, as the latter are a bit loose, and seem to let in water quicker as a result, compared to the rest of the body (and indeed the short sleeves inside), which are stretched more taut, so perhaps short sleeve and those armwarmers are a better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Apologies Cee-Jay-Cee for the hi-jack.

I think, I'm almost there.
    One more question:
    Looking at photographs of the long sleeve and convertible, the ends of the sleeves seem to get looser. What's with this?

• Advertisement

@Eamonnator, do consider the short sleeves with nanoflex (or similar sportful or Wiggle[iirc]) arm warmers, as Cython says. Nice and tight fitting, but you can squeeze a merino long-sleeve under them for extra warmth. And, of course, you can take the sleeves off any time.

Either way, it's a good piece of kit. Tho there is some other 'gabba killer' out there from some Italian crew (starts with M?) that the reviewers gush over too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Possibly the Parentini Mossa which a boardies was selling recently.

http://road.cc/content/review/140863-parentini-mossa-jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

181cm, ~68kg, ~38" chest - Medium long sleeve Gabba 2.

Best bit of kit I've ever bought. Generally worn with just a long sleeve base layer under it but I've worn it with a base and a race fit jersey too with no issues.

I like my kit close-fitting, especially winter gear so it doesn't flap in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Any help appreciated.

LARGE

I'm exactly the same measurement and tried one on yesterday with a skinsuit and gilet underneath. Perfect fit.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Possibly the Parentini Mossa which a boardies was selling recently.

http://road.cc/content/review/140863-parentini-mossa-jersey

Yes, that's the one. Sorry, I forgot the name entirely!

Pulled the trigger on a black (size L) from Bergfreunde there now. I wanted the red version but they had none and their price (€128 delivered) was too good to miss.

I hope it lives up to its reputation now!!!

https://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve-cycling-jersey/

To follow up on this, I got Size Large and it is an absolutely perfect fit, close fitting without feeling stitched into it. There is room underneath for a base layer but not much else however I only want it for Spring/Autumn or milder winter weather, for anything else I'll rely on base layers and my Altura Varium.

I'm so glad I opted for black in the end and it looks fantastic and expensive!

I'm hoping I wont get a chance to wear it for a month or two yet but given our changeable climate I'd say it'll be sooner rather than later.

Advertisement