Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son going from special school back to mainstream

Options
  • 18-08-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my son is 13 and has mild learning difficulties. He also has some problems with his speech, he can be hard to understand sometimes. He went to mainstream school for junior and senior infants but wasn't coping so has attended a special needs school for the last 7 years. Over those years his confidence has grown and he came on so much in lots of ways.

Over the last couple of years he has said he wants to go to the local secondary school. It's right beside us, is a great school and has a brilliant special education programme. I looked into it and he was offered a place and has been granted an SNA to stay with him throughout the day. There are going to be two other boys similar to him in his year but it is a massive school so they probably won't be in his class.

He is starting next week and I am absolutely terrified I've made a mistake moving him to this school. I worry he won't make friends and that his confidence will be shattered. I don't want to hold him back by not giving him the chance to see will it work out for him but Im just so worried. I dread him being singled out/ kids being mean to him. Even though he will have his SNA with him. But this will probably single him out more. He is a really kind caring boy without any badness in him and he is very innocent for his age.

Does anyone have any similar experience/ advice on this?

Advertisement