Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow payments

Options
  • 18-08-2016 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I attempted to top up my phone and it said the payment was declined - 10 times!  When I checked my bank account it was debited 10 times.  This was two days ago.  Also I bought something on another Website and it said card is declined, yet was debited twice.  I was told by the phone company that they were shadow payments and that it could take up to seven days for them to be returned!  I find it hard to believe that your account can be debited despite the company you are buying from saying your card is declined. and the customer is at a loss for that many days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

ohindeed! wrote: »
    I attempted to top up my phone and it said the payment was declined - 10 times!  When I checked my bank account it was debited 10 times.  This was two days ago.  Also I bought something on another Website and it said card is declined, yet was debited twice.  I was told by the phone company that they were shadow payments and that it could take up to seven days for them to be returned!  I find it hard to believe that your account can be debited despite the company you are buying from saying your card is declined. and the customer is at a loss for that many days
    Hi ohindeed!,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

To clarify, a shadow transaction can occur if a card payment is cancelled or voided at a point of sale transaction with your Visa Debit card in-store, over the phone, or online, after we have authorised it. This can also occur if the retailer requests that you enter your PIN a second time. It can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. Regrettably it is not possible to speed up the adjustment of these shadow transactions.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement