Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD ON-CAMPUS ACCOMMODATION 2016/17

• 18-08-2016 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My son, a swimmer going to UCD in September, needs on-campus accommodation that's not party central! Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

desbrenda wrote: »
    a swimmer

Presumably that's only relevant if his commute involves crossing large bodies of water.
    needs on-campus accommodation

Yikes, pretty late in the day for that. Didn't applications for that open... months ago? Even though there are a large number of places reserved for first year students (which I assume he is), I'd expect them to be all gone by now.
    that's not party central!

Definitely sounds like your words, not his. Even though on campus accommodation is heavily policed, that's a bit of a vain hope with student flats, particularly for stage one where GPA doesn't much matter.
    Any advice please?

Probably assume that on-campus accommodation is not likely a runner at this stage (though apply if you like). Renting in Dublin is probably what's on the cards. He'd be better off putting up the requests for such himself, people looking for people to rent with are unlikely to want to do the communication through a third party. There's student accommodation that's opposite the campus in the Montrose, but that's probably all gone by now. The regions where I'd be looking would be in Stillorgan, Dundrum, Goatstown. Those would be the "cheapest", closest options where large numbers of students rent (particularly postgrad), although anything that is on the major bus-routes (think N11) is handy enough, if you can get it for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 desbrenda

Presumably that's only relevant if his commute involves crossing large bodies of water.

Not so. The relevance is that he is going to to UCD on a swimming scholarship and will be training early in the morning before lectures....it's a requirement that he is on-campus.

Yikes, pretty late in the day for that. Didn't applications for that open... months ago? Even though there are a large number of places reserved for first year students (which I assume he is), I'd expect them to be all gone by now.

He is on the accommodation list at 500 mark or thereabouts so he'll be fine and will get on-campus accommodation.....just looking for advice re quieter residences if there are any.

Definitely sounds like your words, not his. Even though on campus accommodation is heavily policed, that's a bit of a vain hope with student flats, particularly for stage one where GPA doesn't much matter.

Probably assume that on-campus accommodation is not likely a runner at this stage (though apply if you like). Renting in Dublin is probably what's on the cards. He'd be better off putting up the requests for such himself, people looking for people to rent with are unlikely to want to do the communication through a third party. There's student accommodation that's opposite the campus in the Montrose, but that's probably all gone by now. The regions where I'd be looking would be in Stillorgan, Dundrum, Goatstown. Those would be the "cheapest", closest options where large numbers of students rent (particularly postgrad), although anything that is on the major bus-routes (think N11) is handy enough, if you can get it for a good price.
    Thanks for taking the time to advise me....I really appreciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are you certain that this the existence of the scholarship not have any favourable implications for allocation of on campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 desbrenda

Are you certain that this the existence of the scholarship not have any favourable implications for allocation of on campus accommodation?

Surprisingly, no Charles Babbage. There is priority accommodation only if the lottery list doesn't work in your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Surprisingly, no Charles Babbage. There is priority accommodation only if the lottery list doesn't work in your favour.

Just an addendum:

Smurfit accommodation is on the other UCD campus and entails a commute (unless you happen to be a postgrad business student)

The Montrose accommodation isn't actually booked out at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement