Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP visit (first pregnancy)

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

My sister in law is going for her first pregnancy go visit (doctor does combined I think)

She's in rural Sligo so not much choice for gps.
    Will she have to pay or is the first visit free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Probably depends on the GP unfortunately. My GP didn't ask me to pay but I've heard that others do. Think it might be the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yes it depends on the GP - free maternity care doesn't include the first visit but many don't charge

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I paid for it on all 4 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I paid too (on first, didn't bother with GP on others. I just did hospital care, not combined care and could self refer to hospital.). My sister didn't, different doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Lunaarli wrote: »
    My sister in law is going for her first pregnancy go visit (doctor does combined I think)

She's in rural Sligo so not much choice for gps.
    Will she have to pay or is the first visit free?

I'm in Sligo town and paid (a reduced rate) for my first gp visit. Some don't charge though.
    If she's not happy with her gp, would she consider travelling to town for her maternity care? I know it's a pain, but I know I'd do that rather than not be happy with who I'm seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Just asked her there how it went, she didn't have to pay so she was delighted!
    There was no mention of payment and they filled in all the maternity combined care stuff and she just signed off on it.

Advertisement