Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC no OS

Options
  • 19-08-2016 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi have posted this on another thread but need all the help I can get asap. Son has saved for gaming pc and it just arrived yesterday. He's just 10. It doesnt have an operating system which I stupidly did not realise when ordering. What is our best quickest and cheapest option now? Are the Windows systems easy to install i.e. can I do it myself? this is what we bought off amazon:

Fierce Demon Quad Core Gaming PC Bundle - 3.8GHz AMD 8GB 1600MHz High-Spec RAM 1TB Hard Drive - Desktop, Office, School, College, Uni Computer - Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor 211253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This one? :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-Demon-Gaming-PC-Bundle/dp/B016QLPTCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1471607798&sr=1-1&keywords=Fierce+Demon+Quad+Core+Gaming+PC+Bundle+-+3.8GHz+AMD+8GB+1600MHz

Its a pretty bad PC for the money to be honest, no OS is the least of your worries. I'd return it for a refund if you can if I were you , save a bit more and get something miles better to self build for about €500 new or check Adverts.ie for one, Terrorfirmer from here sells loads of good new pc's on adverts.

If you can't do that or don't want to you need another PC to download windows onto a USB stick and use that to install it on the new PC. You can then buy a key to activate on Adverts too for not much money or if you want as retail version you'll get one from Amazon or Microsoft directly but they aren't cheap.

I'm sure the usuals will be along to inform you about the legalities of buying cheap windows keys from Adverts/reddit so I'll let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes as a PC it's priced fine for what it is, but it's a really poor gaming PC. It will be OK for things like Minecraft, Counter Strike and similar titles, but for the latest games like Fallout 4, Black Ops 3, The Division, etc, it's not really very capable of playing them even at the lowest possible settings. You can add a graphics card down the line to improve performance but the core of the system, the motherboard and processor, are slow.

Of course it depends on the games he is playing. As for the OS, get yourself a spare 4GB+ USB stick and use a laptop or other PC to download the media creation tool for Windows 10 from Microsoft. That will create a bootable USB drive for you to install Win10 on the new PC, and Windows 10 actually works indefinitely without being paid for or activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes as a PC it's priced fine for what it is, but it's a really poor gaming PC. It will be OK for things like Minecraft, Counter Strike and similar titles, but for the latest games like Fallout 4, Black Ops 3, The Division, etc, it's not really very capable of playing them even at the lowest possible settings. You can add a graphics card down the line to improve performance but the core of the system, the motherboard and processor, are slow.

Of course it depends on the games he is playing. As for the OS, get yourself a spare 4GB+ USB stick and use a laptop or other PC to download the media creation tool for Windows 10 from Microsoft. That will create a bootable USB drive for you to install Win10 on the new PC, and Windows 10 actually works indefinitely without being paid for or activated.
    Did you miss the parts where it's (A) already arrived, and (B) the boy is 10? :pac:

OP, use peneau's link to create a Windows 10 install drive.

Also for many games, you will probably have to drop the in-game resolution to 1280x720 @ Medium settings for good framerates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I did know it's already arrived, that was more just my take on it. As for him being 10, there are definitely kids that age these days playing the likes of GTA V and Call of Duty and some of the latest titles. Equally though there's every chance he's not straying outside of Minecraft and similar titles, but the PC isn't a very long term investment with the base spec and will need replacing rather than upgrading in a year or two when he does start moving onto more intensive titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My son is 11 and he plays all kinds of graphically intense games that this PC wouldn't get near.

Advertisement