Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Runners gave me tendonitis!!

• 19-08-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello all..I decided to treat myself to a good (200 euro!) pair of gel asics runners. A few days in and I'm nursing an ankle with tendonitis. Does anyone have any experience of this? Could it be the runners? I can't think of anything else I did differently! I'm disgusted now as I have to put my exercise on hold. Any advice or thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How have you deemed it to be tendonitis?

How far have you in the new shoes? Versus average weekly mileage in previous pairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

I went to a physio and he said it's tendonitis. He did some ultrasound on it and taped it up. By exercise I mean pilates and swimming, I don't do walking or running as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

How could you have developed this from Pilates alone? Are you wearing them all the time or just for that?

Were you doing any exercise prior to getting the runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Thisname wrote: »
    Hello all..I decided to treat myself to a good (200 euro!) pair of gel asics runners. A few days in and I'm nursing an ankle with tendonitis. Does anyone have any experience of this? Could it be the runners? I can't think of anything else I did differently! I'm disgusted now as I have to put my exercise on hold. Any advice or thoughts welcome.
    I went to a physio and he said it's tendonitis. He did some ultrasound on it and taped it up. By exercise I mean pilates and swimming, I don't do walking or running as such.

If you don't run or do much walking, when exactly do you wear the new runners? Surely you wouldn't be wearing them for either pilates or swimming? It's hard to see how you would develop an overuse injury such as tendonitis from doing pilates even if you were wearing runners. Are you doing anything in particular that would put excessive pressure on your ankle and cause inflammation of the tendons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its not the runners.

Why did you spend 200 on runners if you dont run?

• Advertisement

I wear runners practically all the time..like just walking around day to day. I didn't buy them for exercising in particular as obviously I don't wear runners doing pilates or swimming! I just wanted a new pair for everyday wear and I thought these ones looked nice and comfy. I'm still doing a bit of swimming but have to ease off a bit on pilates until my ankle is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

ASICS design runners that can compensate for foot pronation.

http://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/running-advice/understanding-pronation-find-the-right-shoes-for-you

If you have a neutral stance and you bought runners that compensate for pronation then you could be putting unnecessary pressure on your knees and ankles.

Have a look at the link above and see if it helps you find your particular runner and whether it is suitable for your stance!

I bought the gel-nimbus 18 ones. That link says they are for neutral pronation. I really don't have a clue what kind of gait I have but maybe that had something to do with it. They are very cushioned and bouncy, which is what prompted me to buy them..maybe it changed the way I walk or something putting stress on my ankle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I bought the gel-nimbus 18 ones. That link says they are for neutral pronation. I really don't have a clue what kind of gait I have but maybe that had something to do with it. They are very cushioned and bouncy, which is what prompted me to buy them..maybe it changed the way I walk or something putting stress on my ankle..

No offence, but for 200 euro I would definitely be getting a proper gait analysis and having the runner custom-made. Mad money for Asics if all you're doing is walking around in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ke3jnzo8bwihy0

I have my suspicions that the hard plastic heel cup on newer models might not suit everyone either. Second that it's crazy money to spend on a shoe for a particular gait when you've no idea what your own is.

• Advertisement

Obviously if I had known that there were particular asics for each gait then I would have had gait analysis done first. But I had no idea and it didn't mention anything about that in the product description. I'm gutted I bought them sure as they've given me tendonitis, but 200 is hardly mad money.. you'd spend just as much on a good pair of boots or shoes.

Also, since they're designed for a neutral gait I don't think that had much to do with it. I've looked up my old pair of asics and they're also for a neutral gait and gave me no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You do know that tendonitis is an injury caused by overuse? You couldn't possibly have gotten tendonitis from the runners in the space of a few days.

Whether its the runners or not I don't know..its just that they were the only different thing I did..oh well one of life's little mysteries!! My ankle is on the mend now anyway so all's well that ends well, thank you all for your two cents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Op, you don't just develop tendonisis over a couple of days, its a repetive use injury. Either it was something brewing already and exacerbated by the runners, or mid diagnosis from the physio. Previous injury history comes into play too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why did you spend 200 on runners if you dont run?

More money than sense?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

thehamo wrote: »
    Op, you don't just develop tendonisis over a couple of days, its a repetive use injury. Either it was something brewing already and exacerbated by the runners, or mid diagnosis from the physio. Previous injury history comes into play too
    +1 plus running technique

thehamo wrote: »

Yes I think it probably was something brewing already and the runners just tipped it over the edge!

More money than sense?.

Lol bit harsh !!

Advertisement