Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in rental property carrick on shannon

Options
  • 19-08-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Would Carrick on Shannon be a good place to invest in a property to rent out at present?
    Thinking prices still low but is their a rental market at present... is there any investment coming to area to bring employment and potential tenants since MBNA left?
    Also what estates would attract professional tenants? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Honestly, I wouldn't take a rental unit there if it was given to me for free. (Nothing against Carrick btw!) Not unless I lived close by and liked a gamble and could afford to lose money.
    Rentals are very low there- a house with 3/4 beds in the town in 650e, 1-2 bed apts 400-500pm.
    There may be a rental market at present- but there may not be one there in 2 years when more houses are available in Dublin, Cork, etc.
    You might get a bargain, but you will be paying a lot of outgoings.
    You might have significant void times between tenants, if you are fussy about who you pick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In addition- look at the amount of vacant property in Carrick- its almost unique in an Irish context. I like Carrick- and I pass through it frequently (and even shop there quite a bit)- but there was significant over development in the town- which has not worked its way through the system.

As a town- I'd also have serious misgivings about the number of hen parties being attracted to the town- its a form of tourism they could really do without.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I would only buy in Dublin or Cork maybe. A majority of Irish towns and our "cities" aka glorified towns are too dependent on a single employer. When they close, generally the whole town goes into a mini recession. You will never have an issue letting a place in Dublin. You will never be stung when a massive employer closes, as there is another several hundreds that will remain open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

In addition- look at the amount of vacant property in Carrick- its almost unique in an Irish context. I like Carrick- and I pass through it frequently (and even shop there quite a bit)- but there was significant over development in the town- which has not worked its way through the system.

As a town- I'd also have serious misgivings about the number of hen parties being attracted to the town- its a form of tourism they could really do without.........

As per above, I work in general area and even during the boom with MBNA in full flow there were vacant units in this town. Since then however the only thing that is a constant, are the annual floods.
    Carpe Diem.

Advertisement