Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exotic Car Owners - Show your rides!

• 19-08-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just like in the title, show us what you got! no Civic VTEC's or Passat 1.9TDI's please ;)

C5%20Showroom.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is Ireland not Dubai :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

6860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is Ireland not Dubai :pac:

I'm actually really curious how many people with exotics are here :p
    Maybe they are shy?

If people think a hatched back BMW is an exotic, your thread is shot already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Don't just take my word on it - http://jalopnik.com/the-electric-bmw-i3-is-the-cheapest-exotic-car-you-can-1671763385

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Exotic my arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is Germany a distant country!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Exotic? Dunno, but I saw a 1970 Morris Oxford the other week outside the local, and legend has it some oul' geezer around Bishopstown somewhere still has a Jensen Interceptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

jimgoose wrote: »
    Exotic? Dunno, but I saw a 1970 Morris Oxford the other week outside the local, and legend has it some oul' geezer around Bishopstown somewhere still has a Jensen Interceptor.
    I met a lad before with an FF and an Interceptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

jimgoose wrote: »

I was talking to a customer today who has a Jensen interceptor
    It's just finished having a full nut and bolt restoration in the UK, has taken 6 months. He plans to drive it back in two weeks time
    He comes from car mad family, his dad won the cork grand Prix back in the 40s and is one of the few, if not the only one to drive a car over the ha 'penny bridge
    Also has a tr5 and a midget :cool:

The guy I bought the s type off, had a Jensen interceptor mk 1 until a 5 years ago which he sold when he couldn't get in or out anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That a nice garage Alkaline. fiar play.

OGY0OWJkMTgxNGEzNjM4NDY1NjcxYmYwNWMyNDM3MTShnhAZI5CZGzDvoKImGl3saHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjAyNjk5N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Some thoughts:

- Very few Irish people, living in Ireland, actually outright own anything exotic. Firstly, you'd be mad to given the cost and outlay for buying such a car outright 'for cash'. People with money generally want to keep it, hence its 'cheaper' to lease a car than to buy it. And secondly, very few are in the money making bracket to afford it. Remember, if you want to drop €100k on a car, you need to earn €200k before tax and also have some change left over to pay for the rest of your lifestyle. Hence if someone is buying a car for €100k, they'd probably want to be banking over a million year. Very few people in Ireland are on that sort of money and those that are would be tax exile if they had any sense.

- You are read EXIF data from photos, especially if taken with a GPS enabled iPhone. You'd basically be creating a shopping basket for thieves to locate the car. Ireland isn't all the big.

- The roads. I can only imagine the damage one would do to their highly sprung exotica on the roads in Ireland. I cringe every time I go over a bump in an S3 or similar spec car, and that's not even remotely exotic. My tyres are missing lumps as no matter how hard you try or slow you try take a road, you're going to hit something :(

The more I travel around the world the more I realise Ireland is just not the place for anything exotic :( You'd actually be better off going in the opposite direction and if I had the money, about £100k the last one came up for, I'd have this: http://uncrate.com/stuff/bowler-exr-s/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Oh I've loads of them at home. I get them from http://www.matchbox.com/en_US/

OP you never said they had to be full size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

There's also the fact that even very wealthy people in Ireland drive fairly mundane cars, either for anonymity or just due to a lack of a car culture.

My boss is swimming in cash McDuck style and he's driving a 520d.

Some lad does have a new M6 in the business park though. I'd say that's still inside the boundaries of anonymity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

OGY0OWJkMTgxNGEzNjM4NDY1NjcxYmYwNWMyNDM3MTShnhAZI5CZGzDvoKImGl3saHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NjAyNjk5N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Hey...you only live around the corner to me :)
    Always admired the colour scheme on that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    As exotic as it gets round these parts!

394797.jpg

Is that a fiesta st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Theres probably more exotic cars in the car park where I work than in Ireland. The Swiss and Germans love their fast cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

testicles wrote: »
    As exotic as it gets round these parts!

394797.jpg

Love it. Tis the dogs testicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Theres probably more exotic cars in the car park where I work than in Ireland. The Swiss and Germans love their fast cars

You'd be surprised at what's lurking around this country - there are some serious cars old and new. How would the OP define exotic anyway i wonder ? I think it's an outdated term like yuppie etc.

I've exotic seats, does that count ? :D

IMG_2696.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Blazer wrote: »
    Hey...you only live around the corner to me :)
    Always admired the colour scheme on that car.

I think I've seen that or if not something very similar. Charleville, Co. Cork?

I meant exotics but I really don't mind at this stage. Anything that is unusual. Turbo EVO Lancer, older porsches, maseratis or faster jags.

nd wrote: »
    I think I've seen that or if not something very similar. Charleville, Co. Cork?

Yep Charleville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Bentleys, 00's Ferraris and a handful of Maseratis are as exotic as it gets here. Anything really nice has a yellow reg on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Bentleys, 00's Ferraris and a handful of Maseratis are as exotic as it gets here. Anything really nice has a yellow reg on it.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

Pretty close to the truth i'd wager. Aside from what I listed, do you reckon theres more than 30-40 true exotics, a level beyond what I listed in Ireland?

tossy wrote: »
    You couldn't be further from the truth.

There's a yellow sports car in limerick with dubai plates.

MR2, "DUBAI 22" plates.

Knightsbridge is so last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Is it correlated to disposable income would you think?
    And are they mostly new, or is there a broad market for used cars of that class.

Curious to compare how other cultures sustain their car cultures.

There's a yellow sports car in limerick with dubai plates.

MR2, "DUBAI 22" plates.

Knightsbridge is so last year.

I spotted that the other day in the crescent. A very yellow MR2. WTF is that reg about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I thought the op wanted to see pics of my girlfriend

Is it correlated to disposable income would you think?
    And are they mostly new, or is there a broad market for used cars of that class.

Curious to compare how other cultures sustain their car cultures.

They're not being raped by taxes by their governments.
    Without PAYE and motorists this country wouldn't have a bob to its name. Corporations are paying sod all tax and I can't fathom why people don't protest against these taxes especially paye workers and motorists.
    I see one guy was on here trying to organise a protest and he was getting pushback from other people which is ridiculous. I remember the paye protest of the 80s and there's no way the sheep today would repeat that.
    And I coult myself amongst the sheep also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Sad state of affairs when a fiesta and a 13yr old Merc are thought of as exotics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Midget - wouldn't get away with calling a new car that!

serious3 wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs when a fiesta and a 13yr old Merc are thought of as exotics

When I think exotic I think Lambos, McLaren, Ferrari and all the supercars at that level. Unfortunately someone has to pay for those on welfare who make it a lifestyle, we also have to pay to make up for the lack of taxation on rich corporations who can afford to hire expensive lawyers/accountants on tax avoidance schemes while also having to fund the public sector pension funds, golden handsakes and the unvouched expenses for those in politics. It all adds up and it means that Ireland has one of the lowest entry points for those on the high tax bracket. I remember my father paying 68% tax back in the 80's which was ridiculous for the money he was on.
    All of this plus the exorbitant taxes on cars means very few people can afford a high end car without getting into debt. To be honest a BMW i8 would be the highest level of exotic car in this country and how many of those are sold here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I know somebody thinking about buying a new model panamera. Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

How many official exotic car deslerships are in the republic, yet Northern ireland has Bentley,Maserati, Ferrari,Aston Martin. There is just no demand, the money is there alright, take single lottery millionaires alone.
    I've been told by many business people that they would lose business if they bought a flash car, begrudgery is still rife. The peasant and landlord mentality.

Midget - wouldn't get away with calling a new car that!
    Traveller.
    morris-minor-traveller-12.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I know the owner of one of the i8's in Ireland, and also a 151 panamera.... But even that's diesel.��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

[QUOTE=serious3;100739344]Sad state of affairs when a fiesta and a 13yr old Merc are thought of as exotics[/QUOTE]

I think you you may be taking BrownFinger's post too seriously.

I know dalkey area has good few Ferrari's and high end porsches driving around. Would you get to see some at car shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Corporations are paying sod all tax

Its for another thread, but you are taking the simplistic view. How many people does say Google employ? Its about 5000 in Ireland. Let's assume each earn €30k (Which is wrong as many would earn much more) This means Google's pay roll is about €150,000,000 per year. Straight away, 20% (And more) of that is going to the country as PAYE, so €30,000,000. The remaining amount, left in the pocket of the employee, is being spent here and funneled through the economy. That benefit is nigh impossible to measure.

Google et al have absolutely no other reason to be in this country than the tax set up. Zilch, nada. Don't for a single second think its because we have a 'first class workforce' etc, or whatever IDA etc are dishing out. Its simply the tax arrangements. Now, multiply out that benefit amongst all the large scale multinationals and you'll quickly find that without them, Ireland is up a very murky creek. We have no other industry in the country that generates as much wealth.

My job in the US pays about $100k starting salary. I don't earn a third of that here, but I still work in Ireland. What I don't have to deal with in the US is:

- Paying for absolutely everything etc e.g. Benefits, Medical, Dental etc. All of which are pretty much completely free if you go the public sector here.
    - Complete lack of social security, if you fall off the economic edge in the US, best of luck to you. You can walk in at 9am in most states and be fired at 9:05am without a penny walking out the door.
    - Education, if you have kids in the US, be prepared for enormous educational bills if you want to send them to a 'good' school.

To name but a few.

Ireland isn't a rainbow place to live, it has its issues. But the issue isn't the taxes, its how inefficiently they are being spent. The real protest should be examining just how poor our country is run from the top down. Millions squandered but yet the super efficient multinationals who are making billions are a problem? Please. :rolleyes:

I worked for US corporations myself but lets face it...do you honestly think it's fair for a company like Apple to only pay 2% tax on their revenue to Ireland?
    Ah but they employ so many people so its ok?..that's a simplistic view also. We could have charged Apple the full 12.5% corp tax and they wouldn't have balked at it. They'd be paying nearly 35% back home in the US and around 18-25% elsewhere in Europe.
    I pay 52% of my salary on tax...how is that fair when companies pay so little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm on holidays in Stockholm at the moment and the volume of exotic motors for a population of 2m is extraordinary... Just parked out side my apartment block in Sodermalm beside the 7eleven are two lambos and a Ferrari .. Nothing out of the ordinary for here

Tesla's and Porsche panameras are ten a penny as are v8 mustangs.

They have an effective tax rate slightly higher than ourselves here but the difference is that everyone pays something and very few drinks she the system .. They are invested in their society. Central politics has very little say where local taxes are spent and as such it is the community decide what level of spending on services and on what.

It ain't a perfect society but it functions and really highlights how our bloated and antique public / civil service suck an enormous amount from the system, meaning we pay similar levels of taxation for much inferior services

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ironclaw wrote: »
    - The roads. I can only imagine the damage one would do to their highly sprung exotica on the roads in Ireland. I cringe every time I go over a bump in an S3 or similar spec car, and that's not even remotely exotic. My tyres are missing lumps as no matter how hard you try or slow you try take a road, you're going to hit something :(
    On top of the lack of a particular type of car culture*(and ostentatious wealth culture) the roads would really not help. I've been lucky down the years in that I've had a go in a couple of more current Ferrari's and the roads really aren't supercar friendly once you go off motorways and "big roads". A very fast car of that kind can become very crashy in ride and twitchy with it. You'd not feel confident in pressing on. A 1960's Ferrari would feel better and be the nicer drive(ignoring the stupid driving position). If it started…

That said there are a fair number of 911's to be seen about the place. They're more solidly bolted together and much more friendly on uneven roads. I've seen a couple of Audi R8's in my travels and there are quite the number of exotic classics about too.

*outside of "exotics" we're quite the petrol headed culture, just look at motorsport and how popular it is here considering the population size.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

hi5 wrote: »
    How many official exotic car deslerships are in the republic, yet Northern ireland has Bentley,Maserati, Ferrari,Aston Martin. There is just no demand, the money is there alright, take single lottery millionaires alone.
    I've been told by many business people that they would lose business if they bought a flash car, begrudgery is still rife. The peasant and landlord mentality.

I knew a guy in cork who had a 355 and had to get rid as was atrracting too much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

When I think exotic I think Lambos, McLaren, Ferrari and all the supercars at that level. Unfortunately someone has to pay for those on welfare who make it a lifestyle, we also have to pay to make up for the lack of taxation on rich corporations who can afford to hire expensive lawyers/accountants on tax avoidance schemes while also having to fund the public sector pension funds, golden handsakes and the unvouched expenses for those in politics. It all adds up and it means that Ireland has one of the lowest entry points for those on the high tax bracket. I remember my father paying 68% tax back in the 80's which was ridiculous for the money he was on.
    All of this plus the exorbitant taxes on cars means very few people can afford a high end car without getting into debt. To be honest a BMW i8 would be the highest level of exotic car in this country and how many of those are sold here.

Two I believe, conor mcgregor and the owner of voxpro in cork!

ofcork wrote: »
    I knew a guy in cork who had a 355 and had to get rid as was atrracting too much attention.

What did he mean? Goes hand in hand with this kind of car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement