Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To those calling for Carrick to come back into the team, what really would be the point? Sure he might help us settle the midfield a bit and maybe win a few games, but even if he didn't have certain obvious limitations at 35 years old he is not going to be part of our future.

Its only September, the new manager has barely started, now is the time to play and develop with the long term in mind instead of looking for band aids. At this point we are better playing our other midfielders and finding a setup that could be successful long term even if that means losing a few games. Because if we are going to lose games now is the time to do it.

If these were must win games that would be one thing, but they aren't must win games, so give Blind a run there, give Morgan a run there, hell I'd even give Fosu-Mensah a few games there, far better than going back to the well of Micheal Carrick and ending up no better off than we are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

To those calling for Carrick to come back into the team, what really would be the point? Sure he might help us settle the midfield a bit and maybe win a few games, but even if he didn't have certain obvious limitations at 35 years old he is not going to be part of our future.

Its only September, the new manager has barely started, now is the time to play and develop with the long term in mind instead of looking for band aids. At this point we are better playing our other midfielders and finding a setup that could be successful long term even if that means losing a few games. Because if we are going to lose games now is the time to do it.

If these were must win games that would be one thing, but they aren't must win games, so give Blind a run there, give Morgan a run there, hell I'd even give Fosu-Mensah a few games there, far better than going back to the well of Micheal Carrick and ending up no better off than we are today.

Would you not play zlatan for the same reasons so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    Would you not play zlatan for the same reasons so??

I stated many times that I didn't think we should have been signing Zlatan.

I stated many times that I didn't think we should have been signing Zlatan.

Fair enough but every club needs players like carrick and zlatan around, young players look up to players like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I'm surprised at how low down the midfield rankings Schneiderlin has slipped.
    Two years ago he was one of the most effective midfielders in the league,albeit in a different team.
    I think that a midfield 3 of Schneiderlin,Pogba and Herrera is worth giving a chance.

Before people come out with the 'Fellaini is our best mf this season' chant.

The reality is he is too limited as a player to play in our strongest midfield if we go 4:3:3.
    His silly haircut alone is enough reason to drop him and give Schneiderlin a chance!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Two years ago he was one of the most effective midfielders in the league,albeit in a different team.
    I think that a midfield 3 of Schneiderlin,Pogba and Herrera is worth giving a chance.

The reality is he is too limited as a player to play in our strongest midfield if we go 4:3:3.
    His silly haircut alone is enough reason to drop him and give Schneiderlin a chance!:)

Schneiderlin when he joined was brilliant,LVG did some weird Voodoo magic on him and turned him into a shadow of the player he was.Maybe Jose can cure him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Girlfriend bought tickets to go Manchester to watch a gig and see a game, however united are playing in swansea on the weekend im over there. How hard is it to get tickets to away games if I was to travel to Swansea for the game?

The England captain insists he can recover his form.

“I think I’ve had that [scrutiny] my whole career – a little bit more of late, I think, but that’s football,” he told MUTV.

“I listen to my coaches and my team-mates, the people around me, and I don’t really listen to what a lot of people out there are saying because a lot of it is rubbish.

"I have to focus, work hard, of course, and I’ve done that throughout my career. I’ve worked hard and tried to do my best for the team.

"I’ve done that [played in different positions] throughout my career.

“I feel I can play in all positions but I think the manager has made it clear either I’ll play up front or in the No 10 and that’s where he sees me playing.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/713485/Manchester-United-news-Wayne-Rooney-dropped-critics-midfield-position-Man-Utd-latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I just learned my favorite project player Casemiro broke his leg in the game v Espanyol Sunday, gutted for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You're finished, Wayne. No amount of footballing clichés will change that.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    You're finished, Wayne. No amount of footballing clichés will change that.

A bright light on the horizon: "Bale wants out of Madrid and is looking to United"

http://www.diariogol.com/es/notices/2016/09/-follon-con-gareth-bale-en-el-vestuario-del-real-madrid-65813.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Way too soon to say he is finished imo. Dropped, Yes, but not finished.

• Way too soon to say he is finished imo. Dropped, Yes, but not finished.

I'd argue he's finished at the level we should expect playing for Utd as a forward.

Maybe for some the bar has lowered.

His career finished? No.
    But I won't read into it like that. I assume he means at Utd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    A bright light on the horizon: "Bale wants out of Madrid and is looking to United"

http://www.diariogol.com/es/notices/2016/09/-follon-con-gareth-bale-en-el-vestuario-del-real-madrid-65813.php

I refuse to even think about that such a deal happening.

nope.gif

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd argue he's finished at the level we should expect playing for Utd as a forward.

Maybe for some the bar has lowered.

His career finished? No.
    But I won't read into it like that. I assume he means at Utd.

Bar has def lowered when you consider some think Fellaini is good enough to play as our midfielder

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I refuse to even think about that such a deal happening.

nope.gif

Rooney will be back in form next season.

fat-rooney.jpg

• bangkok wrote: »
    Bar has def lowered when you consider some think Fellaini is good enough to play as our midfielder

c88.jpg

Anyone else heading over to the match this weekend? I haven't been over in years, really looking forward to it.

stankratz wrote: »
    Anyone else heading over to the match this weekend? I haven't been over in years, really looking forward to it.

Heading over with a load of Wexford fellas. Hit Sam Platts before the game to learn the new chants and get in on the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Heading over with a load of Wexford fellas. Hit Sam Platts before the game to learn the new chants and get in on the atmosphere.

I'm the sad sack that youtubes the chants before I go to brush up on them!

• Advertisement

"Before the game" - That'll be early. Looking forward to setting my alarm to go drinking on a Saturday morning!
    Jayop wrote: »
    I'm the sad sack that youtubes the chants before I go to brush up on them!

I'm worse than that. I'm not even going to bother. The ones (many) I don't know I'll just be making mouth movements and throwing out random noises to go along with the chant...be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Fellaini has outstanding hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:

Knew it couldn't last
    Fair play though that's been a solid no Fellaini bashing period from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

breaking news Bale signs contract extension next week

It gets boring how many players use utd to bumper their contract deals

brinty wrote: »
    Knew it couldn't last
    Fair play though that's been a solid no Fellaini bashing period from you

To say he is not up to the standard required is hardly bashing a player. I have sat here and read through pages and pages, months and months of Wayne Rooney debate and nobody has batted an eyelid. Carrick should be starting ahead of Fellaini all day long IMO

bangkok wrote:
    To say he is not up to the standard required is hardly bashing a player. I have sat here and read through pages and pages, months and months of Wayne Rooney debate and nobody has batted an eyelid. Carrick should be starting ahead of Fellaini all day long IMO

Agh bang I was laughing with you not at you mate, apologies if you missed that

And I do agree with you RE Rooney it's boring beyond belief now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Worked this out in my head so I'm probably wrong but Rashford has banged in his four goals in less then 240 mins of football that's not bad shooting.

I'm not saying Fel is up to the standard we need long term, but I'd be raising an eyebrow at anyone who seriously thought we should drop probably one of the top 3 most consistent players for us this season for a 35 year old who has had one decent game against drastically inferior League 1 opposition....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

A lot of noise on Twitter about Jose vs Wenger!!

Apparently there's a quote from Jose about Wenger where he said ' I will find him one day outside a football pitch and I will break his face.'

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Worked this out in my head so I'm probably wrong but Rashford has banged in his four goals in less then 240 mins of football that's not bad shooting.

One every sixty minutes

Apparently there's a quote from Jose about Wenger where he said ' I will find him one day outside a football pitch and I will break his face.'

Who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A winger playing at full back. A midfielder playing at CB. A captain underperforming. Big money midfielders and wingers that have delivered little to nothing. Three years of awful football and results. Three years of a club in nose dive. Three years of players looking like dialling it in and downing tools at times.
    Millions upon millions spent on players.

That where the club is at. Time for a reality check. Fergie and Fergies Utd are a thing of the past. The club is in a state. It needs to rebuild its status and reputation.

Play the players who are playing well on a consistent level, in their natural positions. Get some continuity going. Build a foundation. Get some stability.

Do all that and then maybe start pontificating about whether one of the best performing players in the team this season is "good enough for Manchester United".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I don't think I've ever had such little belief in something I read on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I really hope it's true.

'I'll break your face'

Classic

baz2009 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had such little belief in something I read on the internet.

Apparently it's from some new book written by a guy called Beasley, who City fans over on Reddit are saying is well known for fabricating stuff. Said quotes were meant to be said years ago, apparently round the time Wenger critiqued Jose for selling Mata. By the looks of it, the Mail are running pieces from the book, and this is today's....

I asked Jose what had happened and he revealed: 'He was asking for a red card and pressing the ref in my technical area. I told him to go back to his area. He pushed me. 'I told him, "Here you do that, you know I can't react, but I will meet you one day in the street".' Now I don't think Jose was ever serious about having fisticuffs with the Frenchman, he was just huffing and puffing and letting off steam. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, even though an article for me with Jose saying, 'Let's sort this out in the street, Arsene' would have been huge.

I told Jose this could be a good story to show he took no nonsense from Wenger but I added that I thought it was best to leave it. Jose took it on board, replying: 'Yeah, yeah, he is in a bad situation for his clean image but if I do what he did I would be dead by the media and the FA.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Apparently it's from some new book written by a guy called Beasley, who City fans over on Reddit are saying is well known for fabricating stuff. Said quotes were meant to be said years ago, apparently round the time Wenger critiqued Jose for selling Mata. By the looks of it, the Mail are running pieces from the book, and this is today's....

I asked Jose what had happened and he revealed: 'He was asking for a red card and pressing the ref in my technical area. I told him to go back to his area. He pushed me. 'I told him, "Here you do that, you know I can't react, but I will meet you one day in the street".' Now I don't think Jose was ever serious about having fisticuffs with the Frenchman, he was just huffing and puffing and letting off steam. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, even though an article for me with Jose saying, 'Let's sort this out in the street, Arsene' would have been huge.

I told Jose this could be a good story to show he took no nonsense from Wenger but I added that I thought it was best to leave it. Jose took it on board, replying: 'Yeah, yeah, he is in a bad situation for his clean image but if I do what he did I would be dead by the media and the FA.'

Jose should have punched him in the technical area. How many managers did Wenger push in the technical area now? Jose, Pardew and there should be few more. Wenger lacks class but acts like a saint and victim in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

To be honest I give a flying fvk who Mourinho wants to have a straightener with. All I'm interested in is him putting out our best 11 in their best positions and start winning games. He needs to start justifying why he was brought to the club. If the captain is not up to being in first 11 make the call, we need to see his coaching making a difference, nothing to show yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

secman wrote: »
    To be honest I give a flying fvk who Mourinho wants to have a straightener with. All I'm interested in is him putting out our best 11 in their best positions and start winning games. He needs to start justifying why he was brought to the club. If the captain is not up to being in first 11 make the call, we need to see his coaching making a difference, nothing to show yet.

True dat braaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

stankratz wrote: »

First trip of the season for me, my last "game" was the bomb scare!

Early start with the 6.30 Ryanair flight. My cousin was at the City game and was on the same flight. Went straight into the city centre when they landed for breakfast and pints and reckoned the whole place was hopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Jose should have punched him in the technical area. How many managers did Wenger push in the technical area now? Jose, Pardew and there should be few more. Wenger lacks class but acts like a saint and victim in the press.

Ah, that's below the belt, no man should ever hit another man in the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fellani has been good this season, no doubt, one of our better players, he's a fire fighter but he'll never play a prominent role in an outstanding team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

brinty wrote: »
    Who cares

Lots of people. Mourhino represents UTD at the highest level so it reflects badly on the club.
    gosplan wrote: »
    I really hope it's true.

'I'll break your face'

Classic

Great yeah, our manager talking like a thug and threatening violence to another fellow professional, hilarious.

Were only weeks into the new season and the infancy of Jose's reign and he's already acting like I feared he might, arrogant, petulant, passive aggressive and very childish. He's ego simply doesn't allow him to take any sort of criticism well and when a big part of your job is dealing with the British media that's going to be a problem.

Lots of people. Mourhino represents UTD at the highest level so it reflects badly on the club.

Great yeah, our manager talking like a thug and threatening violence to another fellow professional, hilarious.

Were only weeks into the new season and the infancy of Jose's reign and he's already acting like I feared he might, arrogant, petulant, passive aggressive and very childish. He's ego simply doesn't allow him to take any sort of criticism well and when a big part of your job is dealing with the British media that's going to be a problem.

That's off the record remark and even if it's true it was made in 2014. He didn't do anything wrong as a ManUtd manager, not sure why everyone is talking this as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

lol that sounds like something kids would say in the school yard quickly followed by "I'll get my brother after you"

I highly doubt it's true but it did give me a laugh...:D

Edit: what exactly is the source for these quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

That's off the record remark and even if it's true it was made in 2014. He didn't do anything wrong as a ManUtd manager, not sure why everyone is talking this as gospel.

Its not only that comment, which is not great if true, but his demeanour is heading the same direction as I've seen with him at other clubs before.

We just had a mini crisis, 3 losses in a row, then we win and we get
    "We had a bad week. I know that the world is full of Einsteins, they tried to delete 16 years of my career. They tried to delete an unbelievable history of Manchester United and to focus on a bad week. But that’s the new football, it’s full of Einsteins."

Yeah, we beat Northampton Jose, relax.

Then there is the leak about heavy personal criticism of players, I'm not saying the leak is great either but when Fergie would pull out the hairdryer he never made it personal for good reason.

Also Jose's been critical of a few players in post match interviews, something no players likes. Previously some players grouped together and went to LVG to ask him to lay off his public criticism of Shaw as they feared it might destroy his confidence, Shaw was one of those players he talked about negatively after the Watford defeat. Again Fergie always publicly defended his players and left criticism behind closed doors exactly where it should be.

There have been press conferences where he's been flippant in response to some very harmless questions, listen I don't care about the press but he's just been posturing and the ego thing is still there. Getting on the bad side of the press is not ideal, they lay into the club and players and it can have knock on effects.

Concentrate on the football Jose, sort Rooney out, sort out or defence, get Martial playing again, do all that then you can start posturing all you want.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Fellani has been good this season, no doubt, one of our better players, he's a fire fighter but he'll never play a prominent role in an outstanding team.

we are a long way from being an outstanding team.

Its not only that comment, which is not great if true, but his demeanour is heading the same direction as I've seen with him at other clubs before.

We just had a mini crisis, 3 losses in a row, then we win and we get

Yeah, we beat Northampton Jose, relax.

Then there is the leak about heavy personal criticism of players, I'm not saying the leak is great either but when Fergie would pull out the hairdryer he never made it personal for good reason.

Also Jose's been critical of a few players in post match interviews, something no players likes. Previously some players grouped together and went to LVG to ask him to lay off his public criticism of Shaw as they feared it might destroy his confidence, Shaw was one of those players he talked about negatively after the Watford defeat. Again Fergie always publicly defended his players and left criticism behind closed doors exactly where it should be.

There have been press conferences where he's been flippant in response to some very harmless questions, listen I don't care about the press but he's just been posturing and the ego thing is still there. Getting on the bad side of the press is not ideal, they lay into the club and players and it can have knock on effects.

Concentrate on the football Jose, sort Rooney out, sort out or defence, get Martial playing again, do all that then you can start posturing all you want.
    '
    You are reading way too much and also looks like you are going by headlines rather than watching his interviews. That Einstein comment was just a normal comment and he wasn't even pissed off. He was casual and in joking manner said it.

Re players criticism, he shouldn't have said anything after City game but if you are going about Shaw then it's better to stop right here. There was nothing in Shaw comment where he said it's his duty to improve the mental part of the player.

Re the leak, how true it is? For example, If Rooney is the only player unhappy he will just leak the entire dressing room is. Did you watch Carrick's interview after the game?

Like I said, press are reporting absolute nonsense and fans are lapping it up. Understandable from rival fans as they don't have to think about context or reliability but bit surprising from United fans.

Btw, naming players in the press conference is normal. All managers do it, not sure why it's such a big news.

Also people should watch other interviews of managers when they lose i paid attention to it more so from last weeks MOTD due to the focus on Jose and they arent saying much different tbh

'
    All managers do it, not sure why it's such a big news.

Because for better or worse, Jose isn't "all managers". For better or worse, he stands out for a multitude of reasons. There are many with the knifes sharpened and ready to stick them in, looking for an excuse to do so.

The Wenger comments this morning are a good example, loads of people reacting to them without reading the credibility, or the supposed context behind them. Just see a headline and lash out.

For the record, if someone shoved me publicly, and the worst I did was waited until I was in a private conversation and then blew off some steam saying I was going to punch him, and then obviously just moved on, I'd say I handled the exchange pretty well. But because it's Jose, apparently its a horrid way to handle things. Man says some posturing comments in private after public exchange. The ****ing disgrace :rolleyes:

Because for better or worse, Jose isn't "all managers". For better or worse, he stands out for a multitude of reasons. There are many with the knifes sharpened and ready to stick them in, looking for an excuse to do so.

The Wenger comments this morning are a good example, loads of people reacting to them without reading the credibility, or the supposed context behind them. Just see a headline and lash out.

For the record, if someone shoved me publicly, and the worst I did was waited until I was in a private conversation and then blew off some steam saying I was going to punch him, and then obviously just moved on, I'd say I handled the exchange pretty well. But because it's Jose, apparently its a horrid way to handle things. Man says some posturing comments in private after public exchange. The ****ing disgrace :rolleyes:

Apparently the guy who shoved was the classy guy even though he has history of even pushing other managers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement