Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    '
    You are reading way too much .

This may be slightly true but I've seen things that suggest Jose is still the same old Jose. That's not a bad thing if he is the same old Jose on the pitch but before he came to UTD there was talk about the UTD board, Charlton etc being weary of him mainly due to his antics.

We heard some stories about Jose really wanting the UTD job and willing to change, he even said this is "the pinnacle of my career". All good beforehand but from what I can see its the same old Jose as before and although nothing has happened yet, well nothing major history tells us things go one way with Jose.

After a certain period of years, usually 3, he has fallen out with players and the board all whilst acting poorly in public and embarrassing the club on his way out the door. This may or may not happen again but Jose's behaviour was my biggest worry beforehand and nothings changed in that department, I can see him getting silly in the future when the heat is on.

In post match interviews criticising players and getting personal with them is something Fergie rarely did (he occasionally slipped but it was a stance of his not to do so) but Jose already has. Its just very early seeds of discord and unrest been planted for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

This may be slightly true but I've seen things that suggest Jose is still the same old Jose. That's not a bad thing if he is the same old Jose on the pitch but before he came to UTD there was talk about the UTD board, Charlton etc being weary of him mainly due to his antics.

We heard some stories about Jose really wanting the UTD job and willing to change, he even said this is "the pinnacle of my career". All good beforehand but from what I can see its the same old Jose as before and although nothing has happened yet, well nothing major history tells us things go one way with Jose.

After a certain period of years, usually 3, he has fallen out with players and the board all whilst acting poorly in public and embarrassing the club on his way out the door. This may or may not happen again but Jose's behaviour was my biggest worry beforehand and nothings changed in that department, I can see him getting silly in the future when the heat is on.

In post match interviews criticising players and getting personal with them is something Fergie rarely did (he occasionally slipped but it was a stance of his not to do so) but Jose already has. Its just very early seeds of discord and unrest been planted for the future.

What did Jose do wrong since he became manager at ManUtd?

Re criticizing players in public, all managers do. It's not a big deal. He didn't even criticize Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also people should watch other interviews of managers when they lose i paid attention to it more so from last weeks MOTD due to the focus on Jose and they arent saying much different tbh

That entire post match thing is a spoof that really should be done away with. The stuff said in the post match conference is much more interesting and measured.

But I agree it's always much of the same. Tony Pulis for example is one of the worst for criticising referee performances are an excuse for his insipid sides, but for some reason he always gets away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This may be slightly true but I've seen things that suggest Jose is still the same old Jose.

You are seeing nothing but what you want to see. Jose has done **** all media wise yet already we are hearing the same old cliches, its like people just couldn't wait to start with the narrative of "toxic Jose" so they haven't bothered to wait for him to actually do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You are seeing nothing but what you want to see. Jose has done **** all media wise yet already we are hearing the same old cliches, its like people just couldn't wait to start with the narrative of "toxic Jose" so they haven't bothered to wait for him to actually do anything wrong.

yep and look at what le Pep is doing over at Citeh
    Treating Yaya like dirt and there's not a pep about it
    some people are darlings of the media and can do no wrong
    others are set up to fail no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I really am sick of hearing about Jose's character this, and Jose's image that. Some fan's really do wear red tinted glasses. Ferguson always implemented a "Them against us" siege mentality at the club. He nearly severely damaged the club with his legal fight over a racehorse with 2 of our biggest shareholders at the time. He often was in trouble with the FA over remarks about refs. He refused to talk to the BBC for 7 years. He was of the opinion no was bigger than the club, unless it was himself. The man is a legend but he is far from fallible. Another icon, Ryan Giggs, slept with his brothers wife, and had numerous affairs. Another icon jumped into the crowd karate kicking a rival fan. We still adore these individuals. Jose is not an angel by any means, but the notion that he is much more worse than what we already associate with our clubs history and reputation is hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I really am sick of hearing about Jose's character this, and Jose's image that. Some fan's really do wear red tinted glasses. Ferguson always implemented a "Them against us" siege mentality at the club. He nearly severely damaged the club with his legal fight over a racehorse with 2 of our biggest shareholders at the time. He often was in trouble with the FA over remarks about refs. He refused to talk to the BBC for 7 years. He was of the opinion no was bigger than the club, unless it was himself. The man is a legend but he is far from fallible. Another icon, Ryan Giggs, slept with his brothers wife, and had numerous affairs. Another icon jumped into the crowd karate kicking a rival fan. We still adore these individuals. Jose is not an angel by any means, but the notion that he is much more worse than what we already associate with our clubs history and reputation is hypocrisy.

Ferguson also kicked a football boot at one of his own players. Imagine the outrage if Mourinho did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Gotta feel Rooney may be benched 2mrw. Considering his age and the early kick off saturday it's not much recovery time for a lad in his 30s. Can live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

lol that sounds like something kids would say in the school yard quickly followed by "I'll get my brother after you"

I highly doubt it's true but it did give me a laugh...:D

Edit: what exactly is the source for these quotes?

it's excerpts from his new biography

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd assume Rooney will be benched after playing mid-week all right. If he does play, you'd think it would only be for an hour at most.

It will be interesting to see if Jose changes the formation or, if not, who he puts at 10. He made it clear early on that he sees Pogba as a CM. I wonder will be stick to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

greendom wrote: »
    it's excerpts from his new biography

its not a biography that he has been involved in though - not saying the comments in it are not true, but it isn't something he has looked to put out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I'm finding it hard to take that biography seriously...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/23/jose-mourinho-called-brad-pitt-a-wr-after-he-was-knocked-for-six-by-jennifer-aniston-6146503/

Calls Brad Pitt a wanker and then says
    ‘Jennifer Aniston one, Angelina Jolie nil’ and as he mentioned Jolie’s name he pouted to mimic Angelina’s famous full mouth, her trademark feature.’

Are we sure this is not a satirical piece? It all sounds a bit far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Are we sure this is not a satirical piece? It all sounds a bit far fetched.

Sounds like behind closed doors Jose is a cockney fat man name Barry. "If I see that wanker Brad Pitt I'll smash his face in, mate!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd assume Rooney will be benched after playing mid-week all right. If he does play, you'd think it would only be for an hour at most.

It will be interesting to see if Jose changes the formation or, if not, who he puts at 10. He made it clear early on that he sees Pogba as a CM. I wonder will be stick to that.

Thought I read earlier that he has been trying Pogba further up in training.. Can't recall where I seen it though

• Advertisement

• Fingers crossed he makes the big call that needs to be made

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    Thought I read earlier that he has been trying Pogba further up in training.. Can't recall where I seen it though

Neil Aston of The Sun (according to Red Devils Reddit) saying that Jose is running training with Pogba and Mkhitaryan being tested out as #10s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Neil Aston of The Sun (according to Red Devils Reddit) saying that Jose is running training with Pogba and Mkhitaryan being tested out as #10s.

Neil Aston is also as asshole.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fingers crossed he makes the big call that needs to be made

Dunno Mick, Romero looked nervous and under pressure too easily at times on Wednesday night. I fully expect Jose to drop DDG back in there.

• Advertisement

• stankratz wrote: »
    Dunno Mick, Romero looked nervous and under pressure too easily at times on Wednesday night. I fully expect Jose to drop DDG back in there.

Well played ;)

Enjoyed this read from Rob Smyth. Not presenting it as anything other than one of the more well constructed pieces I've read. And a reminder of that Ferguson quote from his book, that actually, is so telling when you read it now, and realising it was said four years ago.

http://au.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2016-2017/too-powerful-distracting-and-negative-manchester-united-need-a-clean-slate-wayne-rooney-must-go_sto5870130/story.shtml

Also enjoyed the embedded link with his performance against AC Milan in 07. His messing after the "ambition" fiasco completely tainted my view on Rooney and I do forget and occasionally need reminding how bloody good he was.

It also references that spell in '10 when he was on absolute fire before his Munich injury. Watched a youtube video of that first half of season spell and he really did look on the cusp of something good there. I kind of forget about that since it was when Berbatov stepped up and bagged 20 something goals, and cemented my love for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose's press conference

On Leicester: “First of all good morning to my friends from the media and I think it is difficult to retain the title, history says.
    “Not many teams can retain title, one of the teams was United, another one was some team managed from the worst manager in history.”
    “Leicester are very good, they are a very easy team to analyse+ understand, their attacking organisation is difficult to cope with.
    “They are easy to understand, difficult to play against.”

On title aspirations
    “I always said since day 1 that my title ambitions were motivational factors,I don’t believe you can be at this club+say different.
    “Many teams have years of stability through years with the same manager or years with same players or a lot of investment.
    “We know already who will be the champion in Germany, France, Scotland, in Spain it is one of two.
    “In England every team plays to win every game, any team can win any game.”

When asked if he was irritated by criticism of him over recent weeks:

“I am not upset with anything, I am such a lucky guy that I can’t be upset with anything.
    “The only thing that upsets me is the criticism to my players, my players are my players, I should protect them.
    “I can’t protect my players from you [the media], it is a feeling of frustration. With the Einsteins is fine, they need money.”

Hitting out at the media again the United boss said: “I am a good man, I am a man of good will, I do a lot of charity so why not feed the Einsteins as well.”

On Rooney

“Rooney form is Man United form, we are a team, we are not Wayne Rooney.
    “We like to say a very good start to the season was better than we could expect, we were guilty to raise expectations of people.
    “We were punished by the fact we only played well for moments, in football you have to be consistent during 90 minutes.”

When asked about criticising his players: “It’s a learning process, you make a mistake, especially individual mistakes then you have to learn.
    “A team that works to a game plan during the week, you try to identify agreements between us and then individual mistake punishes you.
    “Criticism is part of the process, it helps them learn how to deal with criticism from you (the media).”

Also, no Martial tomorrow, due to injury. With the state of our wingers at the moment, I'd restate that I think a 4-3-1-2 might be the best chance we have to get the best players we have all on the pitch in their right positions....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jose's press conference

On Leicester: “First of all good morning to my friends from the media and I think it is difficult to retain the title, history says.
    “Not many teams can retain title, one of the teams was United, another one was some team managed from the worst manager in history.”
    “Leicester are very good, they are a very easy team to analyse+ understand, their attacking organisation is difficult to cope with.
    “They are easy to understand, difficult to play against.”

On title aspirations
    “I always said since day 1 that my title ambitions were motivational factors,I don’t believe you can be at this club+say different.
    “Many teams have years of stability through years with the same manager or years with same players or a lot of investment.
    “We know already who will be the champion in Germany, France, Scotland, in Spain it is one of two.
    “In England every team plays to win every game, any team can win any game.”

When asked if he was irritated by criticism of him over recent weeks:

“I am not upset with anything, I am such a lucky guy that I can’t be upset with anything.
    “The only thing that upsets me is the criticism to my players, my players are my players, I should protect them.
    “I can’t protect my players from you [the media], it is a feeling of frustration. With the Einsteins is fine, they need money.”

Hitting out at the media again the United boss said: “I am a good man, I am a man of good will, I do a lot of charity so why not feed the Einsteins as well.”

On Rooney

“Rooney form is Man United form, we are a team, we are not Wayne Rooney.
    “We like to say a very good start to the season was better than we could expect, we were guilty to raise expectations of people.
    “We were punished by the fact we only played well for moments, in football you have to be consistent during 90 minutes.”

When asked about criticising his players: “It’s a learning process, you make a mistake, especially individual mistakes then you have to learn.
    “A team that works to a game plan during the week, you try to identify agreements between us and then individual mistake punishes you.
    “Criticism is part of the process, it helps them learn how to deal with criticism from you (the media).”

Also, no Martial tomorrow, due to injury. With the state of our wingers at the moment, I'd restate that I think a 4-3-1-2 might be the best chance we have to get the best players we have all on the pitch in their right positions....

Memphis to be thrown a proverbial bone if Martial is sidelined by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Did I miss it they seemed to ask about miki's injury but I don't recall him answering or did I miss something?

crkball6 wrote: »
    Did I miss it they seemed to ask about miki's injury but I don't recall him answering or did I miss something?

He only outlined Martial as injured, Mhkytarian is seemingly back in training.

The fact he was asked about injury updates and said only Martial is an injury doubt, made me feel bad for Phil Jones haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Neil Aston is also as asshole.

And his paper is a despicable rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This Einsteins **** is gas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What did Jose do wrong since he became manager at .

I'll flip that for you . What did Jose do right since he became manager at United ?

Not a lot as of yet I would suggest. He needs to get his act together and concentrate on the team . If we didn't know who our current manager was, few would think it is Mourinho , whilst it is very noticeable the impact across the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

secman wrote: »
    I'll flip that for you . What did Jose do right since he became manager at United ?

Not a lot as of yet I would suggest. He needs to get his act together and concentrate on the team . If we didn't know who our current manager was, few would think it is Mourinho , whilst it is very noticeable the impact across the city.

Signed 3 players with the potential to be club legends.

Signed a goal scorer who is scoring goals.

This is a long haul project.

The 3 year post Fergie shambles will not be shaken over night so I for one am not worried about the minor blip over the last few games.

I'm quite happy to see our rivals write him off as a busted flush or some such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TheDoc wrote: »
    Enjoyed this read from Rob Smyth. Not presenting it as anything other than one of the more well constructed pieces I've read. And a reminder of that Ferguson quote from his book, that actually, is so telling when you read it now, and realising it was said four years ago.

http://au.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2016-2017/too-powerful-distracting-and-negative-manchester-united-need-a-clean-slate-wayne-rooney-must-go_sto5870130/story.shtml

Agree with the overall ideas.

His play is now flashes rather than a a regular high level. Also the excitement about wondering how good he could be has passed so he doesn't get leeway anymore.

It would break your heart looking at videos of Rooney in his early to mid 20s. He really was on course to be one of the best. Still has an outstanding career and goal scoring record to look back on but it could have been much more. Not all his fault either.

Must put those rose tinted specs on ! Minor blip ? Sure we have yet to kick off ?
    Hopefully this lot will gel, but Mourinho needs to show up and make the hard calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A pretty ridiculous question to ask tbh, its as if you are only capable of seeing the bad in him, which would make the question fairly pointless as a proposition to be answered anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

A pretty ridiculous question to ask tbh, its as if you are only capable of seeing the bad in him, which would make the question fairly pointless as a proposition to be answered anyway.

A hard task master me :)

It is indeed a disgrace that he hasn't won the league yet. How long does this chancer need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gave me a chuckle

It is indeed a disgrace that he hasn't won the league yet. How long does this chancer need?

Pretty ridiculous answer tbh, I've just yet to see any real difference. Our noisy neighbours can already see a big improvement and clear signs of their coach's approach and many of their players who underperformed last season showing big improvement. The difference at the moment is stark....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

But that's not the point. It's about Jose getting abuse for not doing anything wrong.

Also on the point, Jose has done plenty of right like signing quality players.

• Advertisement

Pretty ridiculous answer tbh,

Appropriate to the OP if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pretty ridiculous answer tbh, I've just yet to see any real difference. Our noisy neighbours can already see a big improvement and clear signs of their coach's approach and many of their players who underperformed last season showing big improvement. The difference at the moment is stark....

Unfortunately Rome wasnt built in a day.

Pep took over a club that was in a lot better state than utd. Better players and better mindset.

UTD disastrous management appointments really damaged the club. It will take time for Jose to implement his idea's and style. It has to be hard to drill LVG's awful mentality out of the players.

Id be delighted with a CL spot at the end of the season and then Jose will have his feet well under the table and ready for the PL title next season.

Headshot wrote: »

Pep took over a club that was in a lot better state than utd. Better players and better mindset.

UTD disastrous management appointments really damaged the club. It will take time for Jose to implement his idea's and style. It has to be hard to drill LVG's awful mentality out of the players.

Id be delighted with a CL spot at the end of the season and then Jose will have his feet well under the table and ready for the PL title next season.

Hopefully, sad to have lower expectations than city, who were way off the pace last year and have vastly improved thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Headshot wrote: »

Have a feeling this is going to be our version of "Still Brendan's team..."

Signed 3 players with the potential to be club legends.

Signed a goal scorer who is scoring goals.

This is a long haul project.

The 3 year post Fergie shambles will not be shaken over night so I for one am not worried about the minor blip over the last few games.

I'm quite happy to see our rivals write him off as a busted flush or some such nonsense.

The real prospect of being an absolute legend is Rashford, just hope he is given the opportunity as the lad is pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

J. Marston wrote: »
    Have a feeling this is going to be our version of "Still Brendan's team..."

Yup. LVG stopped being manager in May 2016. It is almost October now. Footballers are used to change in their colleagues, coaches and managers. The LVG regime was just another manager, it wasn't some sort of North Korean labour camp where survivors needed to be deprogrammed. The LVG excuse is getting old. Going by all the leaks most of the squad werent even programmed given their discontent with the method and aim. If LVG still gets the blame, does he get the credit for the 9 points on the board 1 week ago? Nope.

Mourinho has been given almost unprecedented backing in the transfer market. He said himself he identified the targets and the club delivered. He was happy with the squad - no one else to join, no one else to leave. Mourinho is not a pleasant individual but he is a winning machine. Either he is making the calls now and gets the credit/blame, or LVG is still picking the team and running the training sessions.

As it was, City were horrific last season and struggled to get 4th, just ahead of United on goal difference. If they are now far ahead of United that has more to do with the present than the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sand wrote: »
    Yup. LVG stopped being manager in May 2016. It is almost October now. Footballers are used to change in their colleagues, coaches and managers. The LVG regime was just another manager, it wasn't some sort of North Korean labour camp where survivors needed to be deprogrammed. The LVG excuse is getting old. Going by all the leaks most of the squad werent even programmed given their discontent with the method and aim. If LVG still gets the blame, does he get the credit for the 9 points on the board 1 week ago? Nope.

Mourinho has been given almost unprecedented backing in the transfer market. He said himself he identified the targets and the club delivered. He was happy with the squad - no one else to join, no one else to leave. Mourinho is not a pleasant individual but he is a winning machine. Either he is making the calls now and gets the credit/blame, or LVG is still picking the team and running the training sessions.

As it was, City were horrific last season and struggled to get 4th, just ahead of United on goal difference. If they are now far ahead of United that has more to do with the present than the past.
    I agree with most of this, apart from the City part. Pellegrini in his final season was woefully inadequate with the squad he had. No other team in the league had as many quality players as them. Aguero, KDB and Silva are probably the best players in their respective positions in the league. United didn't, and still don't to a certain extent, have players of their calibre. Not taking anything away from the start Pep has made, but the base he had to start from was very different to what Mourinho had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I agree with most of this, apart from the City part. Pellegrini in his final season was woefully inadequate with the squad he had. No other team in the league had as many quality players as them. Aguero, KDB and Silva are probably the best players in their respective positions in the league. United didn't, and still don't to a certain extent, have players of their calibre. Not taking anything away from the start Pep has made, but the base he had to start from was very different to what Mourinho had.

Well, if United still lack players of City's quality its not down to a lack of backing from the club - the best players in Italy, France and Germany last season were signed. No one else was requested and Mourinho made it clear he is not operating to any budget limit worth mentioning. They were added to one of the, if not the, best goalkeepers in the world, a midfield which contains players like Mata, Herrera and Schneiderlin ( all apparently good players labouring under the 'shackles' imposed by LVG), apparently the best emerging centre back in the PL in the form of Smalling, and huge talents in the form of Martial and Rashford. There is the basis of a title winning team there under the best title winning manager in the world - and people were extremely confident up until a week ago.

If City have suddenly gone from just goal difference to being 'just better' than United in 4 months, then it has more to do with the work in the transfer market and the training ground in the last 4 months than what was done 16 months ago or 28 months ago because the gap has apparently got wider, not smaller.

Sand wrote: »
    does he get the credit for the 9 points on the board 1 week ago?

He may as well, Jose sure isn't getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Been away from internet and pretty much all coverage of football the last week, couldnt watch united game, how were Carrick and Memphis?

Any chance we could see the two starting today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Been away from internet and pretty much all coverage of football the last week, couldnt watch united game, how were Carrick and Memphis?

Any chance we could see the two starting today?

Carrick - Great

Memphis - The usual

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement