Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Rooney dropped :)
    Pogba still playing in a deeper role :(

Assumed both changes would go hand in hand.

I think a lot have mentioned that Rooney isn't the reason for Pogbas positioning in the squad, it's Jose's plan.

He has said he wants Pogba to be a box-to-box midfielder and unless the formation changes he will more than likely still play in a midfield two. I believe playing alongside Blind or Carrick would help him more but only find out with trial and error.

So unless Jose changes his opinion on the formation or just how he wants to use Pogba that is where he will play, Rooney had and has no bearing on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd be concerned about that centre of midfield. Looks very open.

Great to see fast wide players selected though and Mata at no 10.

Weird that Fellaini is dropped and also that Carrick isn't replacing him.

Can Pogba grow into the role that Jose sees for him?

Anyway I was optimistic last weekend and look how that turned out!! But feck it I'm optimistic again. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet with that line up but hopefully score more than they do.

Lingard after his horror show last game will most likely get his name on the score sheet today.

adox wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about that centre of midfield. Looks very open.

Great to see fast wide players selected though and Mata at no 10.

Weird that Fellaini is dropped and also that Carrick isn't replacing him.

Can Pogba grow into the role that Jose sees for him?

Anyway I was optimistic last weekend and look how that turned out!! But feck it I'm optimistic again. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet with that line up but hopefully score more than they do.

Lingard after his horror show last game will most likely get his name on the score sheet today.

I was thinking this aswell but I guess with Lecister being more of a direct side it isnt as worrying as they will look to by pass midfield a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pretty good team. I hope lingard steps up because he needs to really grab this chance with both hands after his last performance.

Rooney needs to be on the bench given his current run of form so even the most ardent Rooney defenders will find it hard to criticise this decision.

It's going to be very interesting to see where Herrera plays. I'm not sure if he has the discipline to play as the holding midfielder yet but I really really hope Pogba is not played there.

Carrick, Pogba and Herrera would be our most balanced midfield setup IMO. I think we could be a bit light today.

All in all I'm excited to see how we do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think a lot have mentioned that Rooney isn't the reason for Pogbas positioning in the squad, it's Jose's plan.

He has said he wants Pogba to be a box-to-box midfielder and unless the formation changes he will more than likely still play in a midfield two. I believe playing alongside Blind or Carrick would help him more but only find out with trial and error.

So unless Jose changes his opinion on the formation or just how he wants to use Pogba that is where he will play, Rooney had and has no bearing on that.
    I missed those Jose quotes, that's a little worrying. Risky move to spend ~100 million on a player to then try and reinvent their game.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »

I kinda get Joses thinking with that role for Pogba and who knows he may adapt to it but at the moment he's more an opposition box player than his own box player, which leaves huge gaps in the middle of the field.

Fellaini has had his hands full trying to cover an Id be more concerned about Herrera trying to do the Fellaini job today as his natural instincts are to get forward too. Not as much as Pogba obviously but I don't think he will have the defensive discipline that Fellaini did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Whatever about dropping Rooney, still think the balance of the side is way off. Need to swap mata for carrick/Schneiderlin.

Carrick with Herrera seems like an obvious pairing to try out. Hopefully we will see it at some stage. It gives Pogba the freedom he needs in front of them.

I was thinking this aswell but I guess with Lecister being more of a direct side it isnt as worrying as they will look to by pass midfield a fair bit

Hopefully. Smalling is going to have a big role filling into that left channel with balls from Leicester in behind Blind I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

There can be no excuses today - The Rooney issue has been dealt with & nobody can hide behind it now.

Time to stand up & be counted.

Midfield is still unbalanced. I hoped he would drop Rooney and balance the side but not quite yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thought I seen during preseason Ibra was named vice captain not once has he gotten the armband it went to Blind when Rooney was subbed and now Smalling twice has started as Captain. Shrewd by Jose not to add more instability to the team dynamic.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Hopefully. Smalling is going to have a big role filling into that left channel with balls from Leicester in behind Blind I'd say.

Ya very true maybe Jose tells Blind not to get forward too often at least the other 3 back there are very quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What's starting lineup??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Very strange team. Worried about how many changes from last league game. Jose seems very unsure of what team to select .

Will Lingard play wide or as a cm (Iniesta type role)? Get him linking with Pogba and dribbling from central area.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Very strange team. Worried about how many changes from last league game. Jose seems very unsure of what team to select .

Will Lingard play wide or as a cm (Iniesta type role)? Get him linking with Pogba and dribbling from central area.

The thought did cross my mind that we might play 3 at the back with an extra body in midfield but I doubt it.

Looking forward to seeing Zlatan v Huth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Do my eyes deceive me? A Tony V cross with the left peg?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Who's our captain today - Smalling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't care how we win, I don't care if the Leicester keeper scores a hat-trick of own goals, I just want the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We are playing well so far

keep it up now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Do my eyes deceive me? A Tony V cross with the left peg?!

It wasn't half bad either.

• Advertisement

Im quite worried that they are attacking down Val's side alot

They see the weakness there

get the **** in

get in get in get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

NOW THATS HOW YOU TAKE A CORNER KICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭roosterman71

bangkok wrote: »

Phil Jones would be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Brilliant!! hopefully that will settle them and Pogba shows more for the ball.

Get in Mike! Great corner from blind

Just before that when Blind tried a cross in dangerously enough I remembered he was actually quite good at crossing, then he steps up and swings in the corner.

Lovely stuff. Have been some nervy moments but early days and hopefully this pushes the lads on now to get the win.

Delighted for Smalling too, has had his spot questioned more in the last while so no doubt great for confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can I ask a forum question?

What is the point of the match threads if we are just going to talk about it here? Is it just to keep rival fans away from the main thread?

Not a complaint, just on other threads they run non-spoiler system and just assumed that it was the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So delivering an actual corner can help get goals.

Who knew, eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bangkok wrote: »

Amen!

It's an all to rare art form in today's game, but that's what happens when you do it right.

really surprising

I was expecting a better finish there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Headshot wrote: »
    really surprising

I was expecting a better finish there

Honestly can't remember him taking a shot that bad before

Great work from Ander there.

unreal play

unreal

My word that would have been outstanding!

• Advertisement

Almost the goal that we all want to see.

I don't think that corner was too dissimilar from many of Rooneys to be honest. On this occasion we got something from it.

That's some sexy looking football and deserved a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Leroy42 wrote: »

What is the point of the match threads if we are just going to talk about it here? Is it just to keep rival fans away from the main thread?

Not a complaint, just on other threads they run non-spoiler system and just assumed that it was the same
    I think match threads are fantastic. There are always those looking to troll and they can stay there all they want

I don't think that corner was too dissimilar from many of Rooneys to be honest. On this occasion we got something from it.

Rooney doesn't swing them out from the left with his left foot:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pogba is really playing good stuff so far

Rooney doesn't swing them out from the left with his left foot:rolleyes:

He lands them in roughly the same area for the most part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Really liking this midfield so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This is best I've seen of Pogba for United so far.

Really hope he gets something today push him on even more!

He lands them in roughly the same area for the most part though.

Why compare the corner to Rooney's? It's as if your replying to someone who said he takes awful corners.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Personally don't go near match threads really. Few times I have it's just been constant trolling and arguing among rival fans. Unbearable to read at times.

Many probably like to just comment in the thread as you don't have to deal with the silly posts looking for a reaction (more so than the match thread :P).

A non-spoiler system might be hard to implement would it not? Is there a period after the match where people can't talk about it at all? Personally if I haven't see the match I just don't go on United threads on any site.

Anyway if the rule was brought in that we couldn't discuss matches here (I think I remember something similar before where you couldn't talk about matches) I definitely won't venture into the match threads, for my sanity at the very least :pac:

****ing brilliant play

so so happy

Liquid football.

Jessie been poor so far. A lot of stray passing.

Beautiful finish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement