Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

adox wrote: »
    Utd won't play him as a bit part player or a a player they play in selective games with the contract he is on.

He will either play the majority of games or will be moved on IMO. No middle ground.

Rooney has a contract for almost another 3 years with United where he is getting paid a lot of money. He will not move on for less than what he has already, and outside China there will not be a lot of people willing to pay as much or more for the performances Rooney is capable of now. The chances are he will be sitting out his contract with limited playing time at United until the summer of 2019 when he will be 33 and then he will think about a big money move to the MLS or China.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I get the impression that someone is disappointed we played well without Rooney :pac:

If that's how United play without Rooney in the team, I'm all for leaving him on the bench for an extended period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

adox wrote: »
    Utd won't play him as a bit part player or a a player they play in selective games with the contract he is on.

He will either play the majority of games or will be moved on IMO. No middle ground.

I'm not sure. Of course long term they won't (not sure when his contract expires) but if he was happy to sign a new contract when the time came on reduced terms there could potentially still be a role for him. Giggs is a good example I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A bit part role is perfect for Rooney, rotate him and Ibra.

We hammered the champions, it wouldn't have happened with Rooney playing at 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's good to see 99% of us are on same page anyway.

Good win very happy, but we need this type of performance much more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Love how the match thread emptied at half time.

Big chunk of posters only there for one reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Jayop wrote: »
    Any chance city drop points today?

Very unlikely I'd say. I'll watch it and hope for the best anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mata was NBC's MOTM.

As much as I love Mata, NBC making him MOTM only leads me to one conclusion.....

71929875.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think zerks should go to a game more often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hopefully some of the big guns drop points today!

It is still early but I hope we don't play catch up for the whole season.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Very unlikely I'd say. I'll watch it and hope for the best anyway.

im going to watch it untill they go 2 up and look elsewhere then :D prob get 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I get the impression that someone is disappointed we played well without Rooney :pac:

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the result and especially the first half display.

If we had of lost the Pro-Rooney posters would use it as ammunition in their argument while the Anti-Rooney posters would say it was only one game and other factors would have to be taken into account. Then if we win without him the Anti-Rooney posters would use it as proof in their argument, while the Pro-Rooney posters would say it's only one game and other factors would have to be taken into account.

The Rooney debate is really a lose-lose thing. It doesn't matter if he plays or not, or if we win or not, the debate will always pop it's head up and both sides of the argument are guilty for it in my opinion. Worst of all it's not going to go away.

I know a lot of posters would rather focus on a great first half and overall result, with some brilliant passages rather than the Rooney thing but the sad reality is that was never going to happen. Despite the result today and performance Rooney being dropped will get the headlines.

Anyway, what a well needed result. Now I'm praying a few teams ahead of us decide to drop points to make it even better, here's looking at you Swansea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have a feeling Bailly & Smalling will probably start because of Leicester's threat and pace but would love to see Blind back in defence - we look so panicky at the back without him sometimes.

Just saying.

Thought Daley did great today - such a decent option in a few positions which you can't say about many players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

BenK wrote: »
    I think it's just that you've made yourself clear on the Rooney situation enough times at this stage that it's tiring for people. Of course you can post whatever you want and however often you want but your point has been made again and again (and a few more agains).

You do realise that this post equally applies to the posts from people criticising Rooney that I see from my perspective?
    edgecutter wrote: »
    Today we played brilliantly and it has been a while since I can say that. Was it all surprising to you that it was without Rooney? Not to me and too many other supporters. I don't want the circus that follows Rooney around the club.

We played brilliantly for about 25 minutes out of the 90 and were fortunate to profit so much from shocking set piece defending. We lost the second half. Let's not forget Leicester will likely be mid table at best this season, or that most of the starting line up today lost to Feyenoord. It was without Rooney yes. It was also without Shaw, Martial, Fellaini, Mkhitaryan and Schneiderlin. I'm not going to read much into 1 game. I'm sure plenty will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

You do realise that this post equally applies to the posts from people criticising Rooney that I see from my perspective?

We played brilliantly for about 25 minutes out of the 90 and were fortunate to profit so much from shocking set piece defending. We lost the second half. Let's not forget Leicester will likely be mid table at best this season, or that most of the starting line up today lost to Feyenoord. It was without Rooney yes. It was also without Shaw, Martial, Fellaini, Mkhitaryan and Schneiderlin. I'm not going to read much into 1 game. I'm sure plenty will though.

We lost against mid table Watford with Rooney offering nothing. What's your point?

Do you want Rooney back in the side? Do you want the slow play to return? Rooney crowding the space and stopping our creative players from playing? I understand that you have a soft spot for him due to his past performances, but enough is enough he shouldn't be starting anymore the legs are gone.

• Advertisement

• You do realise that this post equally applies to the posts from people criticising Rooney that I see from my perspective?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    lol

He's not wrong really. They started better and then we dominated till half time. The second half was a stroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Love how the match thread emptied at half time.

Big chunk of posters only there for one reason.

I love the ones that stay on so it doesn't look like they did that. You know it's killing them but they have to save face :pac:

• Jayop wrote: »
    He's not wrong really. They started better and then we dominated till half time. The second half was a stroll.

We played some excellent football in the second half also. Not as strong as the first due to one or two individual mistakes when Leicester had a purple patch but to suggest 25 minutes out of 90 is an exageration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭BenK

Fair point, so I direct the post at those people too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

We played brilliantly for about 25 minutes out of the 90 and were fortunate to profit so much from shocking set piece defending.

Wouldn't have been able to do that with Rooney taking the corners though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Only thing if change from todays lineup is Miki for Lingard and Shaw for Blind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Only thing if change from todays lineup is Miki for Lingard and Shaw for Blind

Blind has offered more in this one game than Shaw. Luke is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Blind has offered more in this one game than Shaw. Luke is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

I know shaw has been off the pace this season but playing time will be good for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would quite like to see Blind given a chance in midfield. I'd like to see something like...
    De Gea
    Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera - Pogba
    Mkhitaryan
    Martial
    Ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I know shaw has been off the pace this season but playing time will be good for him.

Earning his place back with be better for him and the team. Blind did nothing wrong today, no way he should be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Blind was brilliant today . Looks like a left back who can actually defend. There's not too many of those anymore . I'd have him ahead of Shaw unless we need more pace in the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

a lot of people writing off shaw after blinds performance today, shaw is the no1 left back at the club. blind was excellent today, can play centre back, left back, centre mid, corner kick taker, excellent at set pieces, technically brilliant, reads the game like a book, but shaw is a better left back and better going forward. would have blind on the team though beside Bailly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We lost against mid table Watford with Rooney offering nothing. What's your point?

My point is it's one league game without Rooney, and too early to get carried away or claim that his absence alone was the reason we won so comfortably today. We only scored once from play. Herrera coming in for Fellaini played a big part too in our win today as well.
    Do you want Rooney back in the side?

Not for the next league game no. I'd like to see him play in the Europa League this week though.
    Do you want the slow play to return? Rooney crowding the space and stopping our creative players from playing?

You mean like the Feyenoord performance in which Rooney didn't even play? Of course not. I want liquid football.
    I understand that you have a soft spot for him due to his past performances, but enough is enough he shouldn't be starting anymore the legs are gone.

He still has a role to play both as a starter and off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very good game, I wasn't happy with 4-2-3-1 as I wanted 4-3-3 with either Blind or Carrick controlling the game but what was on display was completely different. It wasn't even 4-2-3-1, our players were all over the place switching positions and helping other players out. Helped by the fact that our team was very energetic with young players.

Bailly is like a clown (in a good way), he just attacks everything and very impressed with the way he played. Valencia is superb player for us, always an outlet for the pass and stretch the game. Shame about his deliveries though but I don't expect much there, it's the build up part I'm interested and he is very good at that.

Herrera and Mata were very good, loved the way Herrera controlled the game and Mata's work in the final third. Team looked lot more fresh than in previous games.

Pogba should have had so many assists today, he was brilliant. The way he plays so many clever passes is amazing, shame Ibra couldn't finish them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

It's Shaw before Blind everytime. If you're looking for more control and calm in a game, Blind/Carrick are your men to turn to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I thought Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Lingard and Blind did particularly well. It's amazing how Blind can make his pace not be an issue. He's like the opposite of Shaw (who isn't so good positionally), but I'd still trust Shaw more.

There was a good spell of good attacking in the first half. But I wouldn't read too much into it overall, they were defensively awful on corners and poor in open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pro. F wrote: »
    I thought Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Lingard and Blind did particularly well. It's amazing how Blind can make his pace not be an issue. He's like the opposite of Shaw (who isn't so good positionally), but I'd still trust Shaw more.

There was a good spell of good attacking in the first half. But I wouldn't read too much into it overall, they were defensively awful on corners and poor in open play.

Also his strength was impressive. He is lot more stronger than he looks, he went shoulder to shoulder against some strong guy but won the duel. Very impressive from Blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Any chance we might try out Shaw or Blind on the right at some point? Don't think either have played there before, but in the league cup or Europa it could be an interesting experiment. Both on form could make quite the FB combo!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Any chance we might try out Shaw or Blind on the right at some point? Don't think either have played there before, but in the league cup or Europa it could be an interesting experiment. Both on form could make quite the FB combo!

no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

bangkok wrote: »
    a lot of people writing off shaw after blinds performance today, shaw is the no1 left back at the club. blind was excellent today, can play centre back, left back, centre mid, corner kick taker, excellent at set pieces, technically brilliant, reads the game like a book, but shaw is a better left back and better going forward. would have blind on the team though beside Bailly

Instead of Smalling who walks into the Barca team?? :D

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think zerks should go to a game more often.

I'm here too! Last time I was over United scored 4 as well. A mate I'm with, he hasn't seen United lose since 1998 and goes over 3-4 times per season. Never mind dropping Rooney, we need to get this guy a season ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think a problem with Shaw while he attacks well but his final ball is not good. Struggling to remember great balls he put or getting assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blind is great to have in the squad and was excellent today but Shaw would be my first choice LB and Smalling at CB.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    I'm here too! Last time I was over United scored 4 as well. A mate I'm with, he hasn't seen United lose since 1998 and goes over 3-4 times per season. Never mind dropping Rooney, we need to get this guy a season ticket!

Ohh yehh sorry forgot you too :) great game to go over for say your delighted.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Instead of Smalling who walks into the Barca team?? :D

Bailly blind and smalling would all make the barca team ahead of mathieu who is playing today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I can't understand how there is any debate about the idea that Barca have had some very poor CBs at various times over the last few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bangkok wrote: »
    no chance

Any reason as to why?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Any reason as to why?

both are poor on their right foot, much better attacking down the left where they can cross first time on the run.

also, Darmian and fosu mensah can both play rb

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ohh yehh sorry forgot you too :) great game to go over for say your delighted.

It's cool, I know my place compared to zerks! Yep, very lucky with my match choice. Plus I was the correct end for all the goals, 4 rows from the pitch around the 18 yard line. United's goals were lovely of course, Mata's especially, but Gray's for Leicester was a peach. The sound of the 'wind' off it when he struck it, it was only going one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

About time Pogba scored a goal, sure made his debut over 4 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Moyes really can't catch a break, feel so bad for him as he is very likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    Bailly blind and smalling would all make the barca team ahead of mathieu who is playing today

I'll have some if what you're drinking or smoking
    That's not even close to true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You mean like the Feyenoord performance in which Rooney didn't even play? Of course not. I want liquid football.

Liquid football
    How ye Louis
    Is liquid football better or worse than horny football

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement