Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• DM_7 wrote: »
    Flash would be enough

I prefer Flashford :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I prefer Flashford :pac:
    I think this the first time ever I've disagreed with you!

Flashers all the way :p

• Nalz wrote: »
    I think this the first time ever I've disagreed with you!

Flashers all the way :p

Flashers, haha I didn't even spot that one.
    Sold on Flashers!

We are giving consideration to Rashers but adding the speed of Flash. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Flashers, haha I didn't even spot that one.
    Sold on Flashers!

We are giving consideration to Rashers but adding the speed of Flash. I like it.

I do hope I'm getting back slaps for the use of the name flashers or else I won't allow it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nalz wrote: »
    Up to 6th in our superthread fpl league, going well this year so far and its purely because I haven't spent every second of friday evenings & sat mornings pondering over it... been flat out with new gaff and the baby. How you all doing in it?

I was doing fine until this weekend. I haven't looked and i don't want to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd play Rooney up front against whoever we're playing on Thursday, with Depay, Rashford and Mata in behind.

Stoke should be the same team as Leicester with Mk in for Lingard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd play Rooney up front against whoever we're playing on Thursday, with Depay, Rashford and Mata in behind.

I'd be hesitant to play Mata Thursday then Sunday, think he has enough difficulty with the physical requirements of Mourinho's system already. Rashford might need a rest too.

I'd put a lot of money on Mata not playing the two games

• Advertisement

• Nalz wrote: »
    I'd put a lot of money on Mata not playing the two games

I'd actually think it makes sense to rest him and have him 100% fresh for the important game as in Sunday.

I'd actually think it makes sense to rest him and have him 100% fresh for the important game as in Sunday.

Ye thats what I mean and I can see that exactly happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Talk of mata wanting to extend his contract. Some change from when everyone thought Jose would have him out on his ear.

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Talk of mata wanting to extend his contract. Some change from when everyone thought Jose would have him out on his ear.

I still doubt he will stay high enough in the pecking order long term with Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jose is very happy with Mata, look at the last game, an assist and a goal. He plays Mata a lot, and Mata does the defensive work that Jose expects.
    While the fans are heavily critical of Rooney (for good reason imo) a lot of the fans are happy to see Mata replace Rooney in the team.

I think he will get a contract extension, though these days a contract extension does not guarantee the future for a player. Mata is a well liked person, good player and still has a lot to give.
    I feel he can have a good season played in the centre behind the striker(s).
    Very instinctive goal against Leicester.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jose is very happy with Mata, look at the last game, an assist and a goal. He plays Mata a lot, and Mata does the defensive work that Jose expects.

What makes you say Mata does the defensive work Jose expects?

• Advertisement

Why? What has he done so far to show that throwing him into the starting 11 would be beneficial to the team v Stoke? With the two recent league defeats, Stoke on Sunday is a must-win in terms of keeping up with the pack.

I'm a fan of Mkhitaryan, I want to see him flourish at United and not become Kagawa MKII, but throwing him into the line-up on Sunday following 0 minutes since that first half against City is nonsensical. In the PL right now, Jose needs to be selecting players based on their current ability and contribution to a winning team, and not going by the name on the shirt or their form from a different season, never mind league.

There's that reason, and also the fact that he is still injured. Stoke may be sitting second from bottom at the moment, but they fúcking hate us so much that they love playing us. Hopefully a home win is on the cards, but not an easy one I reckon and the game will be a bruiser. Even if Mkhitaryan recovers and impresses greatly in training towards the weekend, I'd be sticking with the line-up from the Leicester victory. Thursday against Zorya would be the kind of game to start Mkhi and continue with his gradual introduction to the team, but he has already been rushed back from injury once this season and hopefully Jose won't do it again. Not with the attacking options available.

I'd be hoping to see Mata, Ibra, Herrera and Valencia mostly rested on Thursday night to keep them fresh for Stoke, Herrera on the bench. Same for either Bailly or Blind, but we unfortunately don't have the squad options to rest everyone and get a result (Rojo hasn't had a decent performance in far too long). Pogba to start, cause he's still building fitness and looking for more minutes to get comfortable in that advanced roll in the team, Herrera to switch with him before 60 minutes, Fellaini on for Carrick/Schneiderlin at some point, Memphis on for Martial.

Something like...

......................Romero.....................

Darmian....Smalling....Bailly.....Blind

........Carrick/Schneid...Pogba..........

Lingard...........Rooney...........Martial

....................Rashford..................

Pro. F wrote: »
    I still doubt he will stay high enough in the pecking order long term with Jose.

I believe in the saying the cream always rises to the top and it's so true in football.

Look at Rashford he was ment to be the one eased in slow but he has put himself in a position that he can't be ignored. Mata is the same he may be quiet for periods but he always creates something from nothing. He did it in pre season and has done it in the number 10 role last game.

I think the system jose played the weekend suits pogba and mata they both playing as number 10s bit drifting and pogba seemed to trive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What makes you say Mata does the defensive work Jose expects?

From watching him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

14484951_1314268428591975_1381710617278639100_n.jpg?oh=7696027783a2559b7b05a10482243eed&oe=588074B0

Be a fun pairing with both in their prime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I only thought that Mata did alright at the weekend and had a few players in the team playing better than him.

With Zlatan playing up front I think ultimately a more dynamic player than Mata or Rooney may be a better fit. Mikhitaryian possibly. Not lightning quick but certainly quicker than those two. Zlatan with Mata/Rooney is just too slow a pairing.

May be a moot point as we may only see Zlatan for one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I'd say Jesse is great craic. Seems to be an absolute head the ball :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Nobody got his snapchat?

jayo26 wrote: »
    I believe in the saying the cream always rises to the top and it's so true in football.

Look at Rashford he was ment to be the one eased in slow but he has put himself in a position that he can't be ignored. Mata is the same he may be quiet for periods but he always creates something from nothing. He did it in pre season and has done it in the number 10 role last game.

I really don't think that saying holds true in football. Look at Henry at Juve, Bergkamp at Inter, Schneider at Real, Eto'o at Real, Ibra at Barcelona, De Bruyne at Chelsea, Pogba at United (first time around), Mata at Chelsea, Matic at Chelsea (first time around), Kagawa at United, Forlan at United, etc. Mata is class, there's no doubt about that, but if he doesn't suit Jose's system then he'll drop down the order in the long run.
    I think the system jose played the weekend suits pogba and mata they both playing as number 10s bit drifting and pogba seemed to trive in it.

I don't think Mourinho has changed his system. In the current system I'd describe Mata as the 10 and Pogba as a box-to-box CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

futuramafry.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I agree. Don't understand why some people give him so much stick about his social media activity.

He seems like an really fun, positive, life of the party type of guy. Those huh challenge videos are hilarious btw :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

I agree. Don't understand why some people give him so much stick about his social media activity.

He seems like an really fun, positive, life of the party type of guy. Those huh challenge videos are hilarious btw :p

He seems like a bit of a moron tbh.

I really don't think that saying holds true in football. Look at Henry at Juve, Bergkamp at Inter, Schneider at Real, Eto'o at Real, Ibra at Barcelona, De Bruyne at Chelsea, Pogba at United (first time around), Mata at Chelsea, Matic at Chelsea (first time around), Kagawa at United, Forlan at United, etc. Mata is class, there's no doubt about that, but if he doesn't suit Jose's system then he'll drop down the order in the long run.

I don't think Mourinho has changed his system. In the current system I'd describe Mata as the 10 and Pogba as a box-to-box CM.

Well it does hold threw because everyone of them players you mentioned have been knocked back but they have overcome them all. If any of them had bad attitude or lacked quality they wouldn't of each dedicated up where they did.

Look at players like ravel morris on people were knocking Fergie for letting him go when he was in westham team and on edge of England team but the fact is he doesn't have that star quality to.make it but he does have the talent.

Balotelli he has undoubted Tallent but again he is as thick as a plank in many ways when it comes to his career.

I'm not going to heat maps to prove this I'm going on what I saw but pogba and mata were playing more side by side against Leicester jusr behind ibra they were both playing ahead of ander but previously it was fellaini and pogba playing behind rooney who was behind ibra.

Whatever your opinion on Lingard's personality or comic relief moments, there seems to be a great team spirit building in the squad. We have the Youngsters, the Spanish Quarter, the Old Guard. Aside from that leaked/planted story last week the vibes coming from Mourniho's players are very positive.

Then you have Zlatan, the Lone Wise Wolf, but one which has assimilated with ease so far. There was a series of events to demonstrate his 'father figure-ness' in the team during the game against Leicester, one I didn't see mentioned yet and made my love and appreciation for Ibra increase - It had nothing to do with football, just vengeance.

At some point during the game, Robert Huth laid out Rashford over by the side lines with a late challenge where Huth clearly had no hope of getting to the ball. Within 10 minutes, at the next possible opportunity, Huth was laid out himself courtesy of an Ibrahimovic elbow in an aerial duel. Zlatan clearly meant it.

While I don't want to see Fellaini, Ibra, any of our players throwing elbows during games, we need that physicality in our side and players who can show shítehawks like Robert Huth that dirt will be met with dirt, especially when it comes to singling out younger, less-physical players like Marcus Rashford.

It reminded me of a story from way back featuring a young Ryan Giggs and MF General Bryan Robson. This is the quote...
    Ryan Giggs wrote:
    “This Sheffield United right-back was kicking me in one game, giving me a few verbals and it affected me a little bit. I said to Robbo: ‘That right-back’s just said he’s going to break my legs.’ Robbo said: ‘Did he? You come and play centre-midfield. I’m going to play left wing for 10 minutes.’ We swapped positions. Robbo soon came back: ‘Aye, you’re all right now, go back over’. Problem solved!

Need that in a physical team, never mind a successful one.

• Advertisement

Well it does hold threw because everyone of them players you mentioned have been knocked back but they have overcome them all. If any of them had bad attitude or lacked quality they wouldn't of each dedicated up where they did.

Look at players like ravel morris on people were knocking Fergie for letting him go when he was in westham team and on edge of England team but the fact is he doesn't have that star quality to.make it but he does have the talent.

Balotelli he has undoubted Tallent but again he is as thick as a plank in many ways when it comes to his career.

You used the "cream always rises to the top" phrase in relation to the idea that Mata would work out under Mourinho. The idea that Mata has a good attitude and could get his career back on track somewhere else if he needed to wasn't being debated.

You used the "cream always rises to the top" phrase in relation to the idea that Mata would work out under Mourinho. The idea that Mata has a good attitude and could get his career back on track somewhere else if he needed to wasn't being debated.

Nope I ment his good attitude and his quality will mean he will succeed with us. Your the one that mentioned all the other players and I used 2 players of bad attitude to show that if you don't have it you won't get nowhere.

Many people go on about mata not been great but his stats hold their own with alot of top class number 10s.

Jose seemingly didn't want to sell him at Chelsea but mata wanted to go but he seems up for the fight with united and judging by his play time he is doing well.

Nope I ment his good attitude and his quality will mean he will succeed with us.

Yes I know. You were making that point when you said that the cream always rises to the top. But to use that as a justification for why you think Mata will succeed under Mourinho would ignore the fact that there are countless examples of quality players who haven't worked out at particular clubs because of not fitting well enough into the manager's style.
    Many people go on about mata not been great but his stats hold their own with alot of top class number 10s.

That's irrelevant to this conversation, I haven't doubted Mata's quality.

Yes I know. You were making that point when you said that the cream always rises to the top. But to use that as a justification for why you think Mata will succeed under Mourinho would ignore the fact that there are countless examples of quality players who haven't worked out at particular clubs because of not fitting well enough into the manager's style..

That's true too but there is also countless examples to say that players can adjust and work out. I'm saying mata has enough quality and passion about him that I believe he will succeed with united and so far he ain't doing a bad job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

limnam wrote: »

Yeah he should be a serious and grown up 23 year old.

limnam wrote: »

Say your right laugh on a night out ;);) party boy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Sam Allardyce has been caught in an undercover sting by The Telegraph, damning stuff, especially his comment on Gary Neville, who I can imagine will fire back..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/exclusive-investigation-england-manager-sam-allardyce-for-sale/
    They were arguing for 10 minutes about bringing him on, him and Gary Neville. So Gary was the wrong influence for him. ----ing tell Gary to sit down and shut up, so you can do what you want. You’re the manager, you do what you want, not what they anyone else

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sam Allardyce has been caught in an undercover sting by The Telegraph, damning stuff, especially his comment on Gary Neville, who I can imagine will fire back..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/exclusive-investigation-england-manager-sam-allardyce-for-sale/

Was just reading that. The English press are really the lowest of low. He probably did say it all but fuk me I'd say he was guided straight down a path of what to say. They really love to shoot their own

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Was just reading that. The English press are really the lowest of low. He probably did say it all but fuk me I'd say he was guided straight down a path of what to say. They really love to shoot their own

It's a case of build them up, only to then tear them down when it eventually goes pear shaped..

I'd expect him to be sacked this week, that or he resigns himself.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's a case of build them up, only to then tear them down when it eventually goes pear shaped..

I'd expect him to be sacked this week, that or he resigns himself.

Yeh for sure he will hardley last now sky are all over it now too saying he is under investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Some of the tabloids linking Ryan Giggs to Swansea. Would be quite fascinating to see him go there but the squad is in a dire state.

Excited to see what Giggs does next in his managerial career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

England manager!

James Ducker at The Telegraph wrote an article about a revitalised Ander Herrera under Mourinho, decent read...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/26/how-jose-mourinho-is-beginning-to-reinvigorate-voracious-learner/

There was a moment during a break in a recent training session when Jose Mourinho was busy explaining to Ander Herrera some of the specifics he wanted from the Manchester United midfielder. A voracious learner, Herrera was taking it in all but it was when Mourinho had stopped talking that the Spaniard explained to his manager that what he was requesting was virtually the opposite of what he had been told to do over the previous two years by Louis van Gaal. That was not Herrera having a dig at Van Gaal as such – a consummate professional, he has never been one to snipe, no matter his frustrations – but it provided Mourinho with another reminder of the challenge he faces undoing much of his predecessor’s work. It also told him that, in Herrera, he has a player eager to embrace his methods, someone desperate to escape the suffocating straight-jacket of Van Gaal’s tactics and get back to playing to his strengths, to start enjoying his football again.

So is he finally coming good? Few players have elicited so much frustration among fans in recent years as Herrera, mainly because they know he has so much more to offer than what they have seen so far but also because they could see him visibly wilting, regressing even, under a manager who did not get him. Now 27, Herrera knows this is a defining season for him at Old Trafford but supporters are already seeing the green shoots of recovery and hope the player is about to fully bloom.

Anyone who watched Herrera’s success in a deeper lying midfield role in the 3-1 win at Bournemouth earlier this season will not have been surprised by the quality of his performance in a similar position in Saturday’s 4-1 trouncing of Leicester City. But his display against the reigning Premier League champions appears to have made plenty sit up and take notice.

With and without the ball, Herrera was excellent: quick-thinking, positionally sound, combative and composed and a tidy distributer of the ball. Much was made about the liberating effect Wayne Rooney’s absence had on United but no less significant was Herrera anchoring the midfield instead of Marouane Fellaini. Paul Pogba was an obvious beneficiary, the world’s most costly player looking far happier with the mobile, incisive, more intense and cultured Herrera behind him and Juan Mata ahead. Leicester, though, were largely unrecognisable from the urgent, energetic beast of last season and Gary Neville, the former United right back, was quite right when he suggested the coming weeks, with games against Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City, would provide the “ultimate test” for the Herrera/Pogba axis. “If they are going to play together, can they then go and deliver in the bigger games against the better opposition?” Neville asked. “When you’ve got Coutinho playing in the hole and pockets behind you, or players like Silva, De Bruyne Hazard, Oscar.”

Herrera’s former coach, Jose Aurelio Gay, once described the Spaniard as the next Xavi Hernandez, a player capable of orchestrating proceedings on the pitch. By contrast, Van Gaal often deployed him much further upfield as a No. 10, but while he enjoyed a terrific goalscoring burst during his debut season after finally forcing his way into Van Gaal’s plans after months on the periphery, the Dutchman’s use of and opinions towards Herrera were erratic in the extreme. Last season was probably the worst of Herrera’s career, the nadir coming in Denmark in February when he looked a shadow of himself in the wretched 2-1 Europa League defeat to minnows FC Midtjylland before his almost merciful substitution in the 72nd minute. Mourinho, though, has already begun the process of reinvigoration. “It’s early days but Mourinho understands what Ander offers as a player, something Van Gaal failed to grasp,” one source said.

Having settled on Fellaini as his preferred midfield partner for Pogba in a 4-2-3-1, Mourinho seems to be coming to favour Herrera now although a debate still rages about the best way to set up United’s midfield. Against lesser opposition, Herrera holding with Pogba working in tandem with a No. 10, such as Mata, may work well, as it did against Leicester. But against tougher sides? United looked far better and were far more effective against City when Herrera was brought on at half time and Fellaini and Pogba pushed further upfield. Could that be the way to go against Liverpool and City in the weeks to come? Or even Herrera and Michael Carrick or Morgan Schneiderlin alongside each other with Pogba given full licence to attack?

Whatever materialises, it is becoming increasingly difficult to envisage a United midfield without Herrera in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

niallo27 wrote: »
    Congrats man. When he is older he will look back on the day he was born and see liverpool won 5-1 and utd only 4-1, it might be enough to sway him over. Seriously though congrats and I hope everything is going great.

Well when my daughter is old enough, I'll tell her about a Liverpool fan who assumed she was a boy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I really love Lingard. Header

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Thursday's team should be about game time for peripheral squad members and keep the best 11 fresh for Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Some of the tabloids linking Ryan Giggs to Swansea. Would be quite fascinating to see him go there but the squad is in a dire state.

Swansea always seem to buy quite well imo

I think they just need to replace Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

stankratz wrote: »
    Whatever your opinion on Lingard's personality or comic relief moments, there seems to be a great team spirit building in the squad. We have the Youngsters, the Spanish Quarter, the Old Guard. Aside from that leaked/planted story last week the vibes coming from Mourniho's players are very positive.

Then you have Zlatan, the Lone Wise Wolf, but one which has assimilated with ease so far. There was a series of events to demonstrate his 'father figure-ness' in the team during the game against Leicester, one I didn't see mentioned yet and made my love and appreciation for Ibra increase - It had nothing to do with football, just vengeance.

At some point during the game, Robert Huth laid out Rashford over by the side lines with a late challenge where Huth clearly had no hope of getting to the ball. Within 10 minutes, at the next possible opportunity, Huth was laid out himself courtesy of an Ibrahimovic elbow in an aerial duel. Zlatan clearly meant it.

While I don't want to see Fellaini, Ibra, any of our players throwing elbows during games, we need that physicality in our side and players who can show shítehawks like Robert Huth that dirt will be met with dirt, especially when it comes to singling out younger, less-physical players like Marcus Rashford.

It reminded me of a story from way back featuring a young Ryan Giggs and MF General Bryan Robson. This is the quote...

Need that in a physical team, never mind a successful one.

Huth fouled Pogba not Rashford, he knew what he was doing and Zlatan knew what he was doing. It was fantastic to watch, love players like that even more when they are in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jayop wrote: »
    I really love Lingard. Header

He'll never be a top,top player but he does try and works hard.One really off day shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him.
    Watching the game from pitchside on Saturday you could see he was always moving or ready to move.I think the faster pace of our play suits the likes of him and Rashford which gives defenders nightmares.The previous slow ponderous play nullifies a lot of their qualities.
    Under LVG it was pass and play safe,Saturday it was pass and move.It was funny at one stage,we had about 20 or so passes around Leicester's box and they got everybody back,the ball came to Herrera who had nothing on so turned back and the whole Stretford end groaned,he passed to Smalling who instantly played it forward to Mata who found space and we built another attack and nearly scored.Last season the ball would have went back,been passed sideways for 5 minutes before a floaty ball to the wing followed by a pass backwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement