Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It seems Ravel Morrison was caught up in one of Sam's Schemes and dumped when he refused to sign up with an agent recommended by Sam.

https://twitter.com/morrisonravel/status/781093753717133343?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    SAM ALLARDYCE is alleged to have dumped Ravel Morrison in the West Ham reserves for refusing to sign a new contract with Big Sam’s agent Mark Curtis.

Both Allardyce and Curtis deny the allegations – which were first made in 2013 – but the claims have resurfaced after The Telegraph’s big sting that forced Allardyce to leave his job as England manager.
    Morrison, then just 20 years old, had made a breakthrough in the Hammers side, scoring a breathtaking solo goal against Tottenham in a stunning 3-0 win at White Hart Lane.

Big Sam allegedly promised to get him a new contract if the player dropped his representative and signed up with Curtis' agency, but when the player refused to do so, he was dropped from the starting line-up and put in the reserves.
    The Sun.

The Guardian also investigated what went on but nothing more came of it.

sky88 wrote: »
    For all the talk of rooney playing terrible and rightly being dropped i think its deflecting away that zlatan has been poor in general since he came here. hes getting away with it because hes zlatan and rooney has been worse but id be worried that the team will not progress with either of them playing consistently.

200w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

zerks wrote: »
    200w.gif

I knew these replys would follw but if rooney put in the same performance as zlatan youd all be slaughtering him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For all the talk of rooney playing terrible and rightly being dropped i think its deflecting away that zlatan has been poor in general since he came here. hes getting away with it because hes zlatan and rooney has been worse but id be worried that the team will not progress with either of them playing consistently.

It isn't that Zlatan has been poor, the issue is that at 34 (35 next week) this is the level we should be expecting from him. He isn't going to dominate every game, he is going to struggle at times, he is going to be a peripheral figure on the field at times during games because thats what happens to strikers at his age.

Personally I would be very happy with how he has settled and how he has played so far, because this is the level I would have expected if all went well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to agree on Zlatan - really not doing it at the moment. Though he badly missed a few chances on Saturday for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I thought Zlatan had his best performance Saturday guess everyone see's it diffrently, Even if he's not been up to what people expected he's still offering a threat and that's a lot more than Rooneys been giving us

I knew these replys would follw but if rooney put in the same performance as zlatan youd all be slaughtering him

Zlatan is leading the line well,helping to build attacks and the play moves forward with him,Rooney drops too deep,loses possession,plays sideways and backwards.The stuff you see him do that is not caught on camera is amazing,always moving and looking for that split second to influence the play,when the ball goes near the opposing penalty box he is never too far away.Rooney doesn't do that anymore,he'd play a pass and stay still rather than running forward to perhaps get on the end of something.

Luke Shaw is unwell
    “Luke Shaw is ill. Temperature, fever, bad throat. He arrived this morning and the doctor sent him home.”

Mkhitaryan will NOT play
    He trained today.

“He’s not playing tomorrow.”

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/781109920456282113

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bmcc10 wrote: »
    I thought Zlatan had his best performance Saturday guess everyone see's it diffrently, Even if he's not been up to what people expected he's still offering a threat and that's a lot more than Rooneys been giving us

On another day,that volley that went over the bar would have gone in or that shot from outside the box would have sneaked into the corner and everything would be fine.

I thought he did well enough,wasnt outstanding but did enough,held up the ball well and when he went deep for the ball I thought he linked up well with the others

Mourinho on Rooney
    “I was completely convinced of playing him tomorrow. I’m not sure if I do that because with the situation that you create to him I think he really can’t afford to have a performance that is not really good and I am here to protect him and have to analyse the best thing for him. If he is not totally ready for it, I will discuss that with the medical staff.”

“No more questions about Rashford? Why Rashford is playing so well? No more questions so now you turn to Martial?”

Martial is available
    “He’s now recovered from the contusion - not the concussion. He has recovered and he is ready for tomorrow.”

Ibrahimovic will play
    “Zlatan starts.”

Jose: "If we win tomorrow it will be 3 wins in a week. So if we win, I will wait & see if the media reaction is the same as when we lost 3"

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/forevruntd/status/781114590012710912

Mourinho: "At Chelsea Mata was a good player. At Manchester United, he is a very good player."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mata asked to leave Chelsea to join United and it was the club who sold him, not Jose's request to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

RobertKK wrote: »
    Mata asked to leave Chelsea to join United and it was the club who sold him, not Jose's request to sell him.

You still trying to pretend the only reason Mata left Chelsea was because he preferred the idea of playing for United and it had nothing to do with Jose not playing him?

Rooney drops too deep

Did you notice the way Mata dropped just as deep just as often when he played 10 on Saturday?

Pro. F wrote: »
    You still trying to pretend the only reason Mata left Chelsea was because he preferred the idea of playing for United and it had nothing to do with Jose not playing him?

https://twitter.com/Hayles_101/status/781112703611965440

Jose Mourinho again earlier in the summer:
    ‘First of all, I think maybe all of you misunderstood what happened in our previous club because I never told Mata to leave. I never pressed the club to sell him,’

‘It was his decision and only his decision and I don’t like players that want to leave.
    ‘That’s why I think every player has a price, because if one day a player wants to leave, if the player wants to leave it’s because he doesn’t want to be with us ‘If the player doesn’t want to be with us, goodbye – be happy where you want to go.
    ‘And Juan, in our previous club he was not so happy because he was not my first choice at that time, he wanted to play every game.
    ‘He had a fantastic offer from a big club like Manchester United. He wanted to leave. My previous club had a great offer. We thought that was financially very much acceptable. We were not with this old fashioned idea I don’t sell to my direct competitors in my own country. We sold him and done. Nothing else.

Mata when at Chelsea and United were winning PL titles, he said he wished Chelsea was more like United.
    The thing is Jose and Mata are more alike than many think, both are people who wanted to be at United and who are now at United.
    If you are Jose, you would be very happy with Mata right now.

Now Jose has said Mata was good at Chelsea, and is now very good at United. Then there are rumours in the paper of talk of a contract extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Did you notice the way Mata dropped just as deep just as often when he played 10 on Saturday?

Do you mean like the way he dropped deep to receive a pass from Herrera, took it forward and gave it to Pogba, continued his run, got on the end of Lingard's pass and put the ball in the back of the net?

If Rooney was doing that a bit more often (or even attempting to do that) when he dropped people wouldn't be complaining, but instead he just picks it up and looks for Valencia.

Mata made a lovely move for his goal, which Rooney would not have done.

• Do you mean like the way he dropped deep to receive a pass from Herrera, took it forward and gave it to Pogba, continued his run, got on the end of Lingard's pass and put the ball in the back of the net?

If Rooney was doing that a bit more often (or even attempting to do that) when he dropped people wouldn't be complaining, but instead he just picks it up and looks for Valencia.

+1

Another instance of Rooney slowing down play and playing the wrong option impacting the attack as a whole

https://twitter.com/Hayles_101/status/781112703611965440

Jose Mourinho again earlier in the summer:
    ‘First of all, I think maybe all of you misunderstood what happened in our previous club because I never told Mata to leave. I never pressed the club to sell him,’

‘It was his decision and only his decision and I don’t like players that want to leave.
    ‘That’s why I think every player has a price, because if one day a player wants to leave, if the player wants to leave it’s because he doesn’t want to be with us ‘If the player doesn’t want to be with us, goodbye – be happy where you want to go.
    ‘And Juan, in our previous club he was not so happy because he was not my first choice at that time, he wanted to play every game.
    ‘He had a fantastic offer from a big club like Manchester United. He wanted to leave. My previous club had a great offer. We thought that was financially very much acceptable. We were not with this old fashioned idea I don’t sell to my direct competitors in my own country. We sold him and done. Nothing else.

Mata when at Chelsea and United were winning PL titles, he said he wished Chelsea was more like United.
    The thing is Jose and Mata are more alike than many think, both are people who wanted to be at United and who are now at United.
    If you are Jose, you would be very happy with Mata right now.

Now Jose has said Mata was good at Chelsea, and is now very good at United. Then there are rumours in the paper of talk of a contract extension.

So that's a yes then. Mata clearly left Chelsea because he wasn't being selected by Jose. And United were having a dismal season under Moyes at the time, so the idea that he wanted to join United based on the club winning things doesn't add up either. I'm not saying that Jose definitely won't have Mata in his first team now, but your portrayal of Mata's leaving Chelsea is very inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Out of the attackers only Ibra and Rooney have played more minutes than Mata, it's still very early to say what the settled 11 is going to be with the Rooney issue ongoing and Mikki being injured.

• Advertisement

Do you mean like the way he dropped deep to receive a pass from Herrera, took it forward and gave it to Pogba, continued his run, got on the end of Lingard's pass and put the ball in the back of the net?

No, I mean the way Mata frequently dropped into midfield to pick the ball up from defenders and deep CMs. Not that long ago this thread was full of people claiming that it was unacceptable for a number 10 to do this. Even in the first few games when Rooney was getting into the opposition box or past the opposition back four frequently, it was still being claimed that his dropping deep (which he was also doing) was unacceptable, regardless of the fact that he also got forward. This thread was full of people denying that good, high profile number 10s dropped deep frequently.

Then Mata played and Mata dropped deep frequently. But now nobody is claiming that it is unacceptable for a number 10 to do that. There has been a complete change of what was supposedly a fundamental requirement for a number 10 (to stay forward and not drop deep).

I have no problem with a #10 dropping deep,it's what the player does when there is important.Long floaty balls to the right wing or constant sideways and backwards passing are a waste of time and effort.
    Mata dropping deep meant he took the ball from Herrera and Pogba but more importantly he moved it forward with tempo and didn't need 3 touches to control it before a pass.
    Watching him in the flesh on Saturday,he was in constant motion and actually rarely strayed further back than 30 yards from the Leicester goal,he knew how to create danger.Rooney on the other hand drops deep and goes missing or at best disrupts the flow of the attacks.

6 years ago he was doing what Mata did Saturday,now he can't do that.

So that's a yes then. Mata clearly left Chelsea because he wasn't being selected by Jose. And United were having a dismal season under Moyes at the time, so the idea that he wanted to join United based on the club winning things doesn't add up either. I'm not saying that Jose definitely won't have Mata in his first team now, but your portrayal of Mata's leaving Chelsea is very inaccurate.

United doing badly still makes them the biggest club in England. The history, the success, the players, the stadium, the revenue.
    He knew when United wanted him that he was joining a team that could break the world transfer fee, Chelsea in comparison have spent big, got in trouble with FFP in that they were restricted in spending.

I don't believe Mata would have said when at Chelsea that he wished Chelsea were more like United if he didn't already have a gra for United to start with.

At the end of the day, Mata got to a club he wanted to be at, Jose did the same. All the bad journalists who were saying Mata would be sold in the summer based on Chelsea...
    Now talk of a new contract.

I have no problem with a #10 dropping deep,it's what the player does when there is important.Long floaty balls to the right wing or constant sideways and backwards passing are a waste of time and effort.
    Mata dropping deep meant he took the ball from Herrera and Pogba but more importantly he moved it forward with tempo and didn't need 3 touches to control it before a pass.

Here you are just the other week complaining about Rooney dropping deep and saying he needs to stay nearer goals. With no mention of passes (which you also criticise other times) you were arguing that him dropping deep was a problem in itself:
    I agree with M!ck that his lack of discipline as a #10 hurts the team,hard to build attacks when the man tasked with orchestrating them spends most of the time so deep he's almost a DM.He could get away with that when he was younger and had the legs but now he needs to be more restrained and stay nearer the opposition goal,never mind trying to play in every position bar goals.
    Watching him in the flesh on Saturday,he was in constant motion and actually rarely strayed further back than 30 yards from the Leicester goal,he knew how to create danger.

Not even remotely true.
    kwAyeW4.jpg

United doing badly still makes them the biggest club in England. The history, the success, the players, the stadium, the revenue.
    He knew when United wanted him that he was joining a team that could break the world transfer fee, Chelsea in comparison have spent big, got in trouble with FFP in that they were restricted in spending.

I don't believe Mata would have said when at Chelsea that he wished Chelsea were more like United if he didn't already have a gra for United to start with.

At the end of the day, Mata got to a club he wanted to be at, Jose did the same. All the bad journalists who were saying Mata would be sold in the summer based on Chelsea...
    Now talk of a new contract.

Yeah, so you are still trying to claim that the reason Mata wanted to leave Chelaea was purely down to his preference for United and had nothing to do with Jose not playing him. And that is still an utterly ridiculous claim.

Here you are just the other week complaining about Rooney dropping deep and saying he needs to stay nearer goals. With no mention of passes (which you also criticise other times) you were arguing that him dropping deep was a problem in itself:

Not even remotely true.
    kwAyeW4.jpg

Rooney drops deep and does shag all.Mata dropped deep and influenced the play.When Mata dropped deep he was in constant motion and not waddling around like an over tired toddler getting in everyones way and whinging when things don't go right.
    Once more you show an infographic but it doesn't show the whole picture,Mata was never static unlike Rooney so we didn't see him hanging around almost on his own CB's toes.
    Perhaps if you stopped googling stats and spent time watching how games flow and who is influencing them then maybe people here will take you more seriously and there would be less arguing.

This is almost as if a couple of posters here wrote it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3810544/Why-Wayne-Rooney-Manchester-United-man-break.html

I like a lot of what Martin Samuel writes but that is some load of bollix.Rooney must have bought him some feed in Wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was just reading an article about Thursday's opponents 'Zorya Luhansk'....very much sound like a team whose sum is greater than its parts.They have a few tricky skilful players who will need to be watched closely.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so you are still trying to claim that the reason Mata wanted to leave Chelaea was purely down to his preference for United and had nothing to do with Jose not playing him. And that is still an utterly ridiculous claim.

July 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/17/manchester-united-wayne-rooney-bid
    Mourinho had gone on record on Tuesday, in the buildup to his first game back in charge against Singha All-Stars, that no senior players would leave the club ahead of the new campaign. Indeed, he had spoken of Mata specifically, suggesting he offered Chelsea options both as a No10 and as a right-winger cutting inside from the flank as "the only left-footed player of that kind at the club". The Spaniard is expected to be offered an extended deal to remain at Stamford Bridge beyond 2016.

Now let me go to the Pogba deal this year. We were told the deal was close to a year in the making.
    Then are we suppose to believe that the Mata deal which happened after the game with Chelsea in January 2014 just happened like that.
    It was likely started in the summer of 2013 when Mata to United, first appeared in the headlines as part of a deal Chelsea wanted for Rooney.
    Then Mourinho as he said allowed Mata to leave because he wanted to, knew for months a deal to United was being worked on and so didn't play a player who was leaving.
    That is what I believe why Jose didn't play Mata much at Chelsea. He was planning for the future and he knew the future didn't include Mata as he was leaving.

Rooney drops deep and does shag all.Mata dropped deep and influenced the play.When Mata dropped deep he was in constant motion and not waddling around like an over tired toddler getting in everyones way and whinging when things don't go right.
    Once more you show an infographic but it doesn't show the whole picture,Mata was never static unlike Rooney so we didn't see him hanging around almost on his own CB's toes.
    Perhaps if you stopped googling stats and spent time watching how games flow and who is influencing them then maybe people here will take you more seriously and there would be less arguing.

You claimed that you have no problem with a number 10 dropping deep, that it's what the player does when there that is important. I showed a quote from you from just the other week saying otherwise. You claimed that Mata rarely strayed further back than 30 yards from Leicester's goal, I showed the chart of every spot he received the ball - the vast majority of which were more than 30 yards from Leicester's goal.

I showed that what you were saying on those two points was completely wrong. You have no answer so you resort to an hominem argument.

Edit: Note that I wasn't debating with you on the topic of whether Rooney moves about enough or not when he is deep. I strongly disagree with your claims and would say that Rooney moves more than Mata, but I knew that that is something which is far harder to prove. I quoted you and pointed out the clear errors in what you said, but you have answered by talking about things that I hadn't disputed.

July 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/17/manchester-united-wayne-rooney-bid

Now let me go to the Pogba deal this year. We were told the deal was close to a year in the making.
    Then are we suppose to believe that the Mata deal which happened after the game with Chelsea in January 2014 just happened like that.
    It was likely started in the summer of 2013 when Mata to United, first appeared in the headlines as part of a deal Chelsea wanted for Rooney.
    Then Mourinho as he said allowed Mata to leave because he wanted to, knew for months a deal to United was being worked on and so didn't play a player who was leaving.
    That is what I believe why Jose didn't play Mata much at Chelsea. He was planning for the future and he knew the future didn't include Mata as he was leaving.

So because the Pogba deal was a year in the making that means that all deals must be the same. Yep, sounds plausible.

So because the Pogba deal was a year in the making that means that all deals must be the same. Yep, sounds plausible.

OK I looked it up his playing record for 2013/2014 at Chelsea:

In the Premier League:
    One the bench for two of the first three games - missed as didn't play 2
    Played next game.
    Not in squad - 1
    In the next 11 games played nine and was on bench for 2 - missed 2
    Next 6 games was on 4 for 4 and played 2, so missed 4

Total games not played 9
    Games played 13

Coming up to his transfer was benched the most.
    He was also did not play in December when Chelsea lost in the League cup.
    He was on the bench for the FA Cup.
    Dropped to the bench for the CL from 3rd game on.

How long do you think the transfer of Mata was being worked on?

OK I looked it up his playing record for 2013/2014 at Chelsea:

In the Premier League:
    One the bench for two of the first three games - missed as didn't play 2
    Played next game.
    Not in squad - 1
    In the next 11 games played nine and was on bench for 2 - missed 2
    Next 6 games was on 4 for 4 and played 2, so missed 4

Total games not played 9
    Games played 13

Coming up to his transfer was benched the most.
    He was also did not play in December when Chelsea lost in the League cup.
    He was on the bench for the FA Cup.
    Dropped to the bench for the CL from 3rd game on.

How long do you think the transfer of Mata was being worked on?

I don't know how long it was worked on. I remember Woodward saying something about it after it was completed - describing how the deal was done and the time frame, but I don't remember the details and I don't know if he was telling the truth.

From your description of the games he played, was benched and missed, I'm not seeing anything to counter the idea that he was second choice behind Oscar at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

You claimed that you have no problem with a number 10 dropping deep, that it's what the player does when there that is important. I showed a quote from you from just the other week saying otherwise. You claimed that Mata rarely strayed further back than 30 yards from Leicester's goal, I showed the chart of every spot he received the ball - the vast majority of which were more than 30 yards from Leicester's goal.

I showed that what you were saying on those two points was completely wrong. You have no answer so you resort to an hominem argument.

Edit: Note that I wasn't debating with you on the topic of whether Rooney moves about enough or not when he is deep. I strongly disagree with your claims and would say that Rooney moves more than Mata, but I knew that that is something which is far harder to prove. I quoted you and pointed out the clear errors in what you said, but you have answered by talking about things that I hadn't disputed.

Jesus, most (I would say 8 out of 10) posters here think Rooney has been rank for the last couple of years. You think he hasn't been rank. We get it. There's no need to keep defending him or preaching about the odd thing he has done well in games. He is reportedly on £300k a week and because of that he is judged by higher standards.

So to surmise, he hasn't been good. He hasn't been average. He has been muck for the last 2-3 years and if someone who watches football on a regular basis (which I'm sure you do) can't see that that then I truly despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No, I mean the way Mata frequently dropped into midfield to pick the ball up from defenders and deep CMs. Not that long ago this thread was full of people claiming that it was unacceptable for a number 10 to do this. Even in the first few games when Rooney was getting into the opposition box or past the opposition back four frequently, it was still being claimed that his dropping deep (which he was also doing) was unacceptable, regardless of the fact that he also got forward. This thread was full of people denying that good, high profile number 10s dropped deep frequently.

Then Mata played and Mata dropped deep frequently. But now nobody is claiming that it is unacceptable for a number 10 to do that. There has been a complete change of what was supposedly a fundamental requirement for a number 10 (to stay forward and not drop deep).

Well I don't claim to speak for everyone who complained about Rooney dropping deep, but I think the key difference is that yes both Rooney and Mata get the ball in deep positions and in advanced positions, but Mata does a lot to help move the ball from deep into the attack, Rooney doesn't.

Rooney had a great moment in the cup final in May in the build up to the equaliser where he did this, but these incidents have become far too infrequent.
    He rarely picks the ball up in midfield any more and drive at defences, look for clever and quick passes with other players to create opportunities. As I said before, the frequency in which he just looks to just pass to Valencia instead is painfully predictable.

You and a few others have provided statistics to support your argument that Rooney has done ok at the start of this season, but what many more have argued is that we have other players who we believe could play in that position and do a much better job.

Mata showed that this is the case for all to see on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You'd wonder at times if people support a club or a player.

Well I don't claim to speak for everyone who complained about Rooney dropping deep, but I think the key difference is that yes both Rooney and Mata get the ball in deep positions and in advanced positions, but Mata does a lot to help move the ball from deep into the attack, Rooney doesn't.

Rooney had a great moment in the cup final in May in the build up to the equaliser where he did this, but these incidents have become far too infrequent.
    He rarely picks the ball up in midfield any more and drive at defences, look for clever and quick passes with other players to create opportunities. As I said before, the frequency in which he just looks to just pass to Valencia instead is painfully predictable.

You and a few others have provided statistics to support your argument that Rooney has done ok at the start of this season, but what many more have argued is that we have other players who we believe could play in that position and do a much better job.

Mata showed that this is the case for all to see on Saturday!

While I don't agree with you on the argument that Rooney doesn't get the ball forward well and often enough, we probably don't need to debate it now. You've said your bit on it here and, as you say, I've said mine previously.

But as I showed with Zerks, the dropping deep thing was criticised as an issue in itself in this thread. It was regularly argued that a number 10 frequently dropping deep was a bad thing, regardless of the passing. Truth is, lots of good number 10s drop frequently drop deep. It is a very common thing and not a problem in itself.

Mata was at times talismanic at 10 on Saturday, something Rooney hasn't been in a long time. We need that performance as a minimum in the team consistently, be it from Mata, Mkhi or Rooney.

Edit: Mata's highlights from Saturday, the good and the bad. With an assist and a well worked goal which he oversaw and part assisted himself, plus his desire and ability to get the ball forward quickly and into dangerous areas, the odd poor touch/pass pales in comparison. I apply that standard to any United player at 10, not just this Juan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

While I don't agree with you on the argument that Rooney doesn't get the ball forward well and often enough, we probably don't need to debate it now. You've said your bit on it here and, as you say, I've said mine previously.

But as I showed with Zerks, the dropping deep thing was criticised as an issue in itself in this thread. It was regularly argued that a number 10 frequently dropping deep was a bad thing, regardless of the passing. Truth is, lots of good number 10s drop frequently drop deep. It is a very common thing and not a problem in itself.

It's not the number 10 dropping deep thats been a problem it's the player playing number 10 that was.

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's not the number 10 dropping deep thats been a problem it's the player playing number 10 that was.

There have been plenty of people on here complaining that a number 10 shouldn't be dropping deep and picking the ball up from defenders or deep CMs. I'm just pointing out that that tune has changed since Mata did it on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Jesus, most (I would say 8 out of 10) posters here think Rooney has been rank for the last couple of years. You think he hasn't been rank. We get it. There's no need to keep defending him or preaching about the odd thing he has done well in games.

Similarly there's no need to keep criticising him and over exaggerating his mistakes in games. It's clear where most posters stand on Rooney yet it's only those that assess his performances objectively that are being told not to post about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

There have been plenty of people on here complaining that a number 10 shouldn't be dropping deep and picking the ball up from defenders or deep CMs. I'm just pointing out that that tune has changed since Mata did it on Saturday.

They don't take well to having their hypocrisy highlighted.

That Celtic goal reminds me of Jimmy Greenhoffs chest deflected goal in the 77 FA Cup Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great start for any neutrals watching the game :)

Great start for any neutrals watching the game :)

Don't like both teams as I'm a Utd and Gers fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zorro2566 wrote:
    Don't like both teams as I'm a Utd and Gers fan!

How are you a gers fan???

How did that happen. Fair play to ye

City are so poor at defending, all out attack tactics from Pep. Nice to watch as a neutral when it works but I'm hoping it goes belly up if we are going to catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Really enjoying pepball tonight. I actually like bt goals setup it's a way better way to follow it when we're not in it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Really enjoying pepball tonight. I actually like bt goals setup it's a way better way to follow it when we're not in it.

They'll probably score 100 goals this season, I just hope they concede enough to let us finish ahead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement