Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

They'll probably score 100 goals this season, I just hope they concede enough to let us finish ahead

Ahh Yeh or at least have a decent battle for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/forevruntd/status/781114590012710912

Mourinho: "At Chelsea Mata was a good player. At Manchester United, he is a very good player."

Just putting him on the shelf adding value he will be sold in a few weeks...........

jayo26 wrote: »
    Really enjoying pepball tonight. I actually like bt goals setup it's a way better way to follow it when we're not in it.

Fantastic piece of television. Makes the champions s league watchable when you're not in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

zorro2566 wrote: »

Don't like both teams as I'm a Utd and Gers fan!

How was your 21st of May?

I got buckled ;)

They don't take well to having their hypocrisy highlighted.

Yet again, after Pro doing the donkey work, you're in like a cheerleader piggybacking on his work with a 'yeah, that's it' type hollow response and/or a thanks.

Mata's heatmap v Leicester is similar to Rooney's v Watford, yet that's just about the only similarity between the two performances. Players in the #10 position can drop deep, any heat map will show you that, but it's what they do while taking up those positions which is all that matters. Mata did well in those spaces on Saturday, and didn't let up on his attacking responsibilities either. As soon as he needed to be gone from deep MF, he was gone. At no point did we see him pointlessly bypass the CBs to run back and take the ball from DDG to then ping it out to the wing, like our other 10 did a few league games ago.

There are a few out there who personally don't like Rooney and no matter what he does with a football it will never be good enough. Forget those, but many of us just want to see that vital creative position used more effectively, and believe that there are players currently at the club who could potentially do it better than a clearly out-of-form Rooney. Nothing personal, just football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

stankratz wrote: »
    Yet again, after Pro doing the donkey work, you're in like a cheerleader piggybacking on his work with a 'yeah, that's it' type hollow response and/or a thanks.

I'm not allowed thank one of his posts? The efforts some are going to to try and police this forum are laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They'll probably score 100 goals this season, I just hope they concede enough to let us finish ahead

City are going to romp to the league this season. Probably break the record points tally. I know it's only 6 games in but watching them they are on another level to everyone imo and despite a sometimes dodgy defense there's not enough teams who will be capable of exploiting it the way they play.

Liam O wrote: »
    City are going to romp to the league this season. Probably break the record points tally. I know it's only 6 games in but watching them they are on another level to everyone imo and despite a sometimes dodgy defense there's not enough teams who will be capable of exploiting it the way they play.

Couldn't disagree more. Tonight proves they can easily be got at.

I'm not allowed thank one of his posts? The efforts some are going to to try and police this forum are laughable.

The irony here has to intentional, otherwise...wow.

• Advertisement

The irony here has to intentional, otherwise...wow.

I don't dictate to people on what they should or should not post. The irony of your "cheerleader" thanks group isn't lost on me either.

I don't dictate to people on what they should or should not post. The irony of your "cheerleader" thanks group isn't lost on me either.

Now you're piggybacking on my observation, is there anything original in there at all?

Now you're piggybacking on my observation, is there anything original in there at all?

Is there any substance to your childish posts or are you just trying to provoke an argument and hoover up the thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So anyone care to make a score prediction for tomorrow evening's game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Commenting on who thanks posts? I've seen this before. It's usually people that end up going off on one and closing their account.
    It's a sure sign that someone cares too much about what people say on the internet...

Lithium93_ wrote: »

United to score more goals then the Russians;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They've been the same all season but teams haven't exploited it, too afraid to press high because Aguero, KDB, Sterling Silva will rip you apart if you over commit players going forward. It's a bold tactic but it has obviously paid off so far.

I'll be begrudgingly impressed if Pep wins the league like this. With 32 games to play there's plenty of time to get our own act together though.

Is there any substance to your childish posts or are you just trying to provoke an argument and hoover up the thanks?

You're unreal, my initial post to you had plenty of substance and a few points, but you chose to only quote and respond to the non-football part that sent us down this chain.

Unless you want to talk about football and actually address those points, maybe we should leave this for the good of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

5-0

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

United to score more goals then the Russians;)

I'll take that, also tomorrow night's opposition is Ukrainian, not Russian :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Christ just seeing the Celtic score. How the **** did we manage to make City look like world beaters in that first half?

• Advertisement

I'll take that, also tomorrow night's opposition is Ukrainian, not Russian :p

They will be soon enough ;)

Jayop wrote: »
    Christ just seeing the Celtic score. How the **** did we manage to make City look like world beaters in that first half?

We started rooney ;););)

• People can rave all they want, doubt there has been any personal agenda against him

This day twelve years ago (I miss this Wayne)

https://twitter.com/KickAssCantona/status/781248156562489346

You're unreal, my initial post to you had plenty of substance and a few points, but you chose to only quote and respond to the non-football part that sent us down this chain.

Unless you want to talk about football and actually address those points, maybe we should leave this for the good of the thread.

I chose to respond to the part that was written to offend me in likening me to a cheerleader for simply doing what literally every other poster on this thread does. Post, and thank posts that they agree with.

We started rooney ;););)

giphy.gif

I like cheerleaders. Not the high school ones though, that would be wrong.

• I chose to respond to the part that was written to offend me in likening me to a cheerleader for simply doing what literally every other poster on this thread does. Post, and thank posts that they agree with.

So why complain when people thank his post? Just saying.

Anyone remember the a scandle it caused when he started with the neck of his shirt ripped and mothers complaining everywhere because their kids went and copied him.

Anyone remember the a scandle it caused when he started with the neck of his shirt ripped and mothers complaining everywhere because their kids went and copied him.

And it turned out he ripped it by accident and not to set some daft trend. The bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayop wrote:
    I like cheerleaders. Not the high school ones though, that would be wrong.

Howya jayo26
    Are you logged into the wrong account

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So why complain when people thank his post? Just saying.

Not complaining, just pointing out the irony.

brinty wrote: »
    Howya jayo26
    Are you logged into the wrong account

#vile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Deaddonkey puts in plenty of work making detailed arguments in response to the Rooney debate. The occasional, simple agreement post should not be an issue and it is insignificant compared to the number of hollow "yeah but he's shít" responses that get posted on this topic all the time in here. How come you aren't taking issue with them?
    Mata's heatmap v Leicester is similar to Rooney's v Watford, yet that's just about the only similarity between the two performances. Players in the #10 position can drop deep, any heat map will show you that, but it's what they do while taking up those positions which is all that matters. Mata did well in those spaces on Saturday, and didn't let up on his attacking responsibilities either. As soon as he needed to be gone from deep MF, he was gone. At no point did we see him pointlessly bypass the CBs to run back and take the ball from DDG to then ping it out to the wing, like our other 10 did a few league games ago.

There are a few out there who personally don't like Rooney and no matter what he does with a football it will never be good enough. Forget those, but many of us just want to see that vital creative position used more effectively, and believe that there are players currently at the club who could potentially do it better than a clearly out-of-form Rooney. Nothing personal, just football.

You are going over the top with this. Mata had a good game, better than any game that Rooney has had this season. But it was not that much different to Rooney's better games so far this season. You say that "At no point did we see him pointlessly bypass the CBs to run back and take the ball from DDG to then ping it out to the wing" - that is extremely specific and not at all informative. We did see him drop deep to receive the ball from the defence or deep midfielders (something you decried when Rooney did it) and then pass it backwards and wide. We saw that plenty. As soon as he needed to be gone from deep midfield he was gone? Yeah, Rooney has done the exact same this season in his good games. Why do you ignore that?

I chose to respond to the part that was written to offend me in likening me to a cheerleader for simply doing what literally every other poster on this thread does. Post, and thank posts that they agree with.

It wasn't written to offend you, it was written because it's what I observe with my eyes, or do you want to see a heatmap for that? You talk about childish posts of no substance when it was the following from you which brought us here...
    They don't take well to having their hypocrisy highlighted.

Yeah, sure you're just here talking about the football, not being snide at all yourself, and have a complete open mind to views you don't agree with.

It wasn't written to offend you, it was written because it's what I observe with my eyes, or do you want to see a heatmap for that? You talk about childish posts of no substance when it was the following from you which brought us here...

Yeah, sure you're just here talking about the football, not being snide at all yourself, and have a complete open mind to views you don't agree with.

You leave the heatmaps out of this!

:)

It wasn't addressed to anyone in particular. It was admittedly a bit snide, because like Pro. F I have also pointed out people's double standards regarding Rooney and other players and it usually isn't well received.

I don't know what you mean about not having an open mind to views I don't agree with. Can you explain this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can be got at and will be got at are 2 different things. Their defense is dodgy enough but their attack is world class. The only hope is that KDB and Aguero pick up injuries throughout the year which in a way is a bad thing as they are fantastic to watch even though they are the big rivals. I guess Pep's style can probably wear them out too but he's been very good at keeping players fresh through the season. Some of the stuff they've played so far has been mesmerising and Pep's only had them 2 months. His Barca teams always had a mini slump in Feb-March but I think they'll be miles ahead by then.

How was your 21st of May?

I got buckled ;)

I got sad, but at least we got back into the top tier! Not going so well though!

Pro. F wrote: »
    Deaddonkey puts in plenty of work making detailed arguments in response to the Rooney debate. The occasional, simple agreement post should not be an issue and it is insignificant compared to the number of hollow "yeah but he's shít" responses that get posted on this topic all the time in here. How come you aren't taking issue with them?

I really need to be shown some of the apparently many, hollow "...because Rooney is shít, end of story" posts which are posted in here from anyone to be taken seriously as a regular poster. If there are a few here and there, others are taking them as a sample of the "Rooney is a concern" demographic and blowing them up to their own overblown proportions. A lot of the time, I see informed debate on the Rooney subject. So why aren't I taking issue with these posts I can't really see and which aren't disrupting my enjoyment of the thread? Good question.
    Pro F wrote:

You are going over the top with this. Mata had a good game, better than any game that Rooney has had this season. But it was not that much different to Rooney's better games so far this season. You say that "At no point did we see him pointlessly bypass the CBs to run back and take the ball from DDG to then ping it out to the wing" - that is extremely specific and not at all informative. We did see him drop deep to receive the ball from the defence or deep midfielders (something you decried when Rooney did it) and then pass it backwards and wide. We saw that plenty. As soon as he needed to be gone from deep midfield he was gone? Yeah, Rooney has done the exact same this season in his good games. Why do you ignore that?

Where? Have I said that it was an all-time performance from Mata at any point? Have I said that he should be our starter at #10 for all games until season's end? Have I said Rooney should be fúcked out? Have I used hyperbole? I've pointed out that our 10 had a good productive game and it's the minimum to be expected, but even after that result and team performance, there are some who have issue with calling a spade a spade.

From the Rooney thread, it's safe to say that you reckon he's had 3 and a half league games where he played well so far this season? The second half against Watford being the half where he didn't play well? See, our observations and opinions are so far apart here. You and I had some discourse about Rooney and the 10 role a few weeks ago. Since then, my opinion hasn't changed and I know that yours hasn't either. This, after Rooney has been dropped due to form, and Mata has actually had a good game in the role with the team winning and playing well. Juan Mata is going to have another stinker or non-runner for United sometime soon, but Rooney needed to be benched and someone else given a shot. Same for Mata when he has a bad run.

Where have I decried Rooney dropping deep? In my earlier posts today I mentioned the difference in how the two players go about it. I said weeks ago that Rooney dropped a bit "too deep, too often". You, surely, will know the stark difference between that and decrying a player being in those positions at all. There seems to be some cry for hypocrisy about here which for the people crying it is being falsely treated like some kind of victory.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    You leave the heatmaps out of this!

:)

Swords down for a second...Squawka has been a bit of a revelation to me lately. Not the be-all and end-all in terms of judging a game, but very useful for the stats. There must be a serious amount of man-hours involved in running that site.

I really need to be shown some of the apparently many, hollow "...because Rooney is shít, end of story" posts which are posted in here from anyone to be taken seriously as a regular poster. If there are a few here and there, others are taking them as a sample of the "Rooney is a concern" demographic and blowing them up to their own overblown proportions. A lot of the time, I see informed debate on the Rooney subject. So why aren't I taking issue with these posts I can't really see and which aren't disrupting my enjoyment of the thread? Good question.

Well there have been many of them, a lot more than a few here and there. Maybe you don't think they are posters to take seriously or that they are regulars, but it has not been isolated randomers.
    Where? Have I said that it was an all-time performance from Mata at any point? Have I said that he should be our starter at #10 for all games until season's end? Have I said Rooney should be fúcked out? Have I used hyperbole?

Nope. You didn't say any of those things. But since I didn't say or imply that you said any of those things there is no reason for us to talk about them.

As to where you have gone ott on this point, I explained that in my post.
    I've pointed out that our 10 had a good productive game and it's the minimum to be expected, but even after that result and team performance, there are some who have issue with calling a spade a spade.

If you are talking about me then that is not true. I have said that Mata had a good game and have not said that we should expect less than that from our 10. If you are talking about some other posters then take that up with them.
    Where have I decried Rooney dropping deep? In my earlier posts today I mentioned the difference in how the two players go about it. I said weeks ago that Rooney dropped a bit "too deep, too often". You, surely, will know the stark difference between that and decrying a player being in those positions at all. There seems to be some cry for hypocrisy about here which for the people crying it is being falsely treated like some kind of victory.

Here:
    "I know Jose said Rooney would not be a 6 or 8, but the captain was occupying those territories at times during the game on Sunday. He wasn't playing as how a traditional 10 operates, and a lot of his play and movement seem to indicate that he enjoys playing deeper. He dropped to take the ball out of defense ffs! Surely he isn't going against his managers instructions is he? But Jose said 'never a 6 or an 8'."

Swords down for a second...Squawka has been a bit of a revelation to me lately. Not the be-all and end-all in terms of judging a game, but very useful for the stats. There must be a serious amount of man-hours involved in running that site.

Yeah, it's a great site. They get their data from Opta, so it's them that do all the leg work. I believe there are only a few data providers and all the detailed stat websites you see get their stuff from them.

There was one really bad problem with Squawka for a while where they had the appearance numbers wrong for every player from the 13/14 season. Like every single player. That's fixed now, and I haven't found similar mistakes since. But it's still worth double checking now and again, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

forgot to post a story from yesteryear yesterday

Was christmas/new year of the 87/88 season and we had the mighty Charlton at home on New Years Day then Watford away on the 2nd, imagine that nowadays, 2 games in 24hrs.
    So we went as usual on our minibus to OT for the Charlton game and 4 of us decided we'd go down to Watford the next day (no bother with tickets then, cash at turnstiles was king)

We rock up at Watford around 1pm and take over a local pub, around 2pm we start moving towards the ground, now i don't know what Watford is like now but then you walked down the side of the ground, but instead of turning at the end of the structure you had to walk 400yards down past allotments, across 200yards, then back up to the ground.

Of course we didn't do this, about 20 or so of us just ended up walking through the allotments, a few coppers started chasing us but were pelted with whatever veg could be found.
    Noel, a guy i knew from Denbigh filled his backpack up with all sorts of veg and took it home :confused:

In the ground though was were the fun was, lobbing veg at the home fans , didn't know what hit them, well they did, it was a carrot

Prices were so much better in them days, 2.80 to stand in United Road or Stretford

When i made the big move to the stretford end when i was around 18 i'd pay a junior price to go into 'E' Stand, a pile of seats at back of stretford end, unreserved and just wooden benches, would then jump down into stretford end as the stretford didn't do child concesions. Got caught once by a copper and thrown out of the ground...bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is that your own story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    People can rave all they want, doubt there has been any personal agenda against him

This day twelve years ago (I miss this Wayne)

https://twitter.com/KickAssCantona/status/781248156562489346
    I went out and bought about a half dozen papers the day after that, which led with his debut. The old lad threw them out without noticing what they were a few years later. :(

Funny how Rustu was giving him a pile of grief before the game if I recall, and a lot of people would have forgotten by now but he was possibly the best keeper in the world not named Buffon/Kahn/Casillas at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny how Rustu was giving him a pile of grief before the game if I recall, and a lot of people would have forgotten by now but he was possibly the best keeper in the world not named Buffon/Kahn/Casillas at the time.

Yeah but foreign goalkeepers have always been temperamental and inconsistent according to the British pundits, unless they've a stack of medals to make that lazy assertion sound ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Korat wrote: »
    Yeah but foreign goalkeepers have always been temperamental and inconsistent according to the British pundits

Sounds more like David James :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David James was Man United motm couple of times a season for while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

David James was Man United motm couple of times a season for while

Himself and Jamie Carragher were awesome for us.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement