Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

edgecutter wrote: »
    Your right, how can any striker on 300k a week get good contact on that kind of ball?

Drop Mensah

Gas how so many people still can't get over his wages. Good contact is one thing, effective contact is another. It's not uncommon to see players send those kind of chances into row z. Not many players would have scored first time from that pass this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Robson99 wrote: »
    If Mikateryan can find the form he showed in Germany and have him with Pogba and Herrera in the middle of the park then we would have have great pace in the team

Almost forgot about him.
    It would be some shame if he goes through the season without showing what he is capable of.
    Surely he will be flying in no time with the likes of Pogba and Ibra around him, hopefully he can be a big player for us.

Aaah in fairness poor Rooney he done fantastic to get any sort of a touch on it.... and the ball he put out of play when it was simpler to pass well the bloody grounds man should gave put the touchline half way up the stand and it would have stayed in play....
    Poor Auld Wayne its never his fault

Armchair analysis at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Armchair analysis at it's finest.

Couch actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Gas how so many people still can't get over his wages. Good contact is one thing, effective contact is another. It's not uncommon to see players send those kind of chances into row z. Not many players would have scored first time from that pass this evening.

Ya not many.. just the good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Clutching straws?

Rooney also missed a sitter against Northampton, but I'm sure it was down to other players not perfecting their passes to him.

Id take a match thread after a 5-0 loss to liverpool over the continued rooney saga here

Is there mo something in the charter about spamming or did i dream that up cant find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We have a new one trick pony, you don't need to do this any more.

I've changed my mind Bangkok, please save us from these Rooney idiots!

In other news, Lingard continues to prove me right about him. Another bog standard, average, Tom Cleverly level footballer that we can improve upon.

• Advertisement

I've changed my mind Bangkok, please save us from these Rooney idiots!

In other news, Lingard continues to prove me right about him. Another bog standard, average, Tom Cleverly level footballer that we can improve upon.

When Mickey is fit we need him back in to get some fitness. Hopefully we will see more of him on Sunday.

As for Jesse, he is a squad player and nothing more. He will work his socks off, but offers very little attacking threat.

Ya not many.. just the good ones

We'll forget Ibrahimovich's two missed volleys against Leicester then. Can't possibly suggest he's not a good player.
    Clutching straws?

Rooney also missed a sitter against Northampton, but I'm sure it was down to other players not perfecting their passes to him.

Not clutching straws, pointing out the cut back was a poor one and difficult to convert first time especially when he's more than likely expecting a ball to feet. I'd love to see the reaction of people here had Rooney cut back that ball to Ibrahimovic. I'm sure he'd take all the flak for that too.

We'll forget Ibrahimovich's two missed volleys against Leicester then. Can't possibly suggest he's not a good player.

Not clutching straws, pointing out the cut back was a poor one and difficult to convert first time especially when he's more than likely expecting a ball to feet. I'd love to see the reaction of people here had Rooney cut back that ball to Ibrahimovic. I'm sure he'd take all the flak for that too.

I am done. You win, Rooney should start and is the best player at United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bailly is great craic to watch. Smalling also doing well as he gets more games.

Pogba is something else, some great passes and effortless play, other times (less often) looks dog lazy with no effort. Expecting a mental goal from him shortly.

Rashford is so calm. Great to see in a young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When Mickey is fit we need him back in to get some fitness. Hopefully we will see more of him on Sunday.

As for Jesse, he is a squad player and nothing more. He will work his socks off, but offers very little attacking threat.

We always need squad players, but he definitely should be way down the list rather than getting regular game time.

We always need squad players, but he definitely should be way down the list rather than getting regular game time.

Agree, but when your English...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Agree, but when your English...

Ya there's a massive media conspiracy to get Lingard games. Fml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Darmian seems to have been exiled

Had high hopes for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Darmian seems to have been exiled

Had high hopes for him.

Miles better than Valencia anyway...

• We'll forget Ibrahimovich's two missed volleys against Leicester then. Can't possibly suggest he's not a good player.

https://twitter.com/UnitedStandMUFC/status/781601486769889280

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Playing Fellaini a big problem for the team. Individually he is doing his job by breaking up play but he is limited on the ball and takes too many touches to pass the ball. Tempo and quick passing is missing when he plays. He is playing in very important position but he isn't good enough to play that role.

Also anyone noticed how pissed Ibra was when he was pressing and Rooney wasnt around 86th min? Very poor from Rooney who just came on and played 20 plus mins.

• Advertisement

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Playing Fellaini a big problem for the team. Individually he is doing his job by breaking up play but he is limited on the ball and takes too many touches to pass the ball. Tempo and quick passing is missing when he plays. He is playing in very important position but he isn't good enough to play that role.

An awful lot came through him last night and yes he was slow in possession.
    I'd like to see Herrera & Pogba again this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

M!Ck^ wrote: »

For the big games,will we see two sitting CM's Herrera and Schneiderlin/Carrick with Pogba playing ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

For the big games,will we see two sitting CM's Herrera and Schneiderlin/Carrick with Pogba playing ahead of them.

I agree, I can see Mata being on the bench for the bigger games or even out wide.. Mata is essential when we are playing teams that put 10 men behind the ball.. he is constantly probing and Trying to get runners in behind.. the goal last night was exactly why he is needed.. perfectly weighted through ball.. pity about the cross as it would have been a super goal if it had of been lower for Rooney to catch properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You can't knock Wayne

You can't mock Wayne

You can't knock Wayne

You can't mock Wayne

You can't knock Wayne

You can't mock Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is Shaw due back at the weekend ? Press conference today ?

5 years since this disgrace threw United into turmoil.

DE.GEA.jpg

Should have been kicked out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd like to see him back and hopefully he learned something from the City game. Carrying a knock or not, not closing down his opponent and being repeatedly dispossessed of the football is not acceptable. It's something I hope that Jose has sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I'd like to see him back and hopefully he learned something from the City game. Carrying a knock or not, not closing down his opponent and being repeatedly dispossessed of the football is not acceptable. It's something I hope that Jose has sorted out.

The one thing that surprised me there was that Mickey Ryan coming in from Dortmund, so closing down and pressing opponents should come natural to him,

Last night really showed the huge difference between Herrera not playing and Fellani playing. Herrera is an automatic starter for me and I'm just hoping Jose was saving him for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of rumours floating that a former player with a fondness for super injunctions is on the Telegraphs list.Could be bull as I said it's a rumour so no names here.

• Advertisement

The one thing that surprised me there was that Mickey Ryan coming in from Dortmund, so closing down and pressing opponents should come natural to him,

That's true, there is no shortage of physicality in the German league. I think he surrendered the ball something like 11-13 times against City and that's not good at any level of Football. He didn't do that in Germany and hopefully he won't do that again at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we could probably get away with playing a Pog Herrera combo for the most part, Fellaini does well when breaking up play and is tidy in possession but I'm not sure that's enough for him to earn a starting place in the midfield.

You can see why we bid for Kante, he does what Fellaini does but is a little more adventurous with his passing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    A lot of rumours floating that a former player with a fondness for super injunctions is on the Telegraphs list.Could be bull as I said it's a rumour so no names here.

As in the guy who likes attending musical groups playing songs for people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

zerks wrote: »

well the one i say there were a good few former united players. hopefully its bullcrap

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was so nearly another good clearance of the ball by Rooney, but he forgot Rashford is Flashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jayop wrote: »
    Someone said this morning that they think certain people love Rooney more than United. I swear a load of you hate Rooney more than you love United. Game won and he only played a few minutes yet yer still at it. He's been dropped, he is out of the starting side for the foreseeable, can ye pick a new subject?

With the outrageous support he gets in the media and pundit arena, it's an issue that fans will keep reacting to, when there is such nonsense occurring on the TV in front of you, it's hard not to react. Especially when you consider these pundits and media outlets influence so much of the fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As for the match last night, a total snoozefest.

But when the manager has so openly discredited the competition I don't know how we can expect the players to get up for it.

Fellaini was actually fine, he did his job pretty well. But that game really didn't require him, so things looked ponderous and slow. But he wasn't the only one, the entire tempo was flat and there was a massive whif of not arsed coming from the team.

I thought it was ridiculous that Memphis and Schneiderlan were left on the bench, and that Martial was given some time. He has been piss poor this season and Memphis should really be getting minutes in games like this. Schneiderlan also, as there is literally no need for Fellaini to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We will just call him Brian Briggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Come on now lads, Fellaini should be nowhere near the starting 11.

He's not as bad as some make out but he is so far from the top level it is crazy. Yes he has played reasonable well in the 1st few weeks, but he has been given an extremely limited task.

Given this limit he should at least be providing something to the team. He is not the fastest, like Carrick, yet doesn't have anywhere close to the passing ability. His first touch is pretty average, he doesn't appear to read the game particularly well so ends of chasing the ball and lunging into tackles. Usually reading of the game can get you past many of the shortfalls, but he really doesn't do a great job on that front. not terrible, but not enough to override the lack of talent in the other areas.

For a big man he doesn't get too many headed goals, has a very limited shot on him. Actually, when you start putting it down there is very little positive that can be said about him

We have him now so better to use him than not but we are going nowhere with him in the team. Neither will we been beaten off the park

• Advertisement

United need to move Rooney on after this season. This is about the team, he is not the best in his position at the club at the moment, and we can afford to bring in better next summer.

This is nothing against Rooney, but I support the team and want the team to win, I don't think Rooney is good enough to continue at United after this season.
    My preference would be to replace Rooney with someone like Griezmann.

I remember watching Big Brother years ago when Imogen Thomas was on it, I remember there was another girl called Charlie who wanted a PL footballer...
    Never heard of Charlie getting her PL footballer, but Imogen seemed to do alright as I heard she was attending gigs in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Heard Brad Friedel talking about Rooney yesterday and the commentator was making the point that it is a tricky situation.

BF said that it isn't really, Rooney has had many years at the top and the end comes to every player and football will continue. Utd relied on him in the past as he was the best, they have simply got better players than him in each position, whether through buying them i nor youth development.

Bf couldn't understand why everyone seems to be struggling to see that Rooney has dropped a level, it was totally natural and expected. His view was thanks for the memories but unless you continue to prove you are the best available in your position the next player is always ready.

Leroy42 wrote: »

He's not as bad as some make out but he is so far from the top level it is crazy. Yes he has played reasonable well in the 1st few weeks, but he has been given an extremely limited task.

Given this limit he should at least be providing something to the team. He is not the fastest, like Carrick, yet doesn't have anywhere close to the passing ability. His first touch is pretty average, he doesn't appear to read the game particularly well so ends of chasing the ball and lunging into tackles. Usually reading of the game can get you past many of the shortfalls, but he really doesn't do a great job on that front. not terrible, but not enough to override the lack of talent in the other areas.

For a big man he doesn't get too many headed goals, has a very limited shot on him. Actually, when you start putting it down there is very little positive that can be said about him

We have him now so better to use him than not but we are going nowhere with him in the team. Neither will we been beaten off the park

I don't think the Pogba/Fellaini midfield is the best we can do.
    Pogba/Herrera is better.

TheDoc wrote: »
    As for the match last night, a total snoozefest.

But when the manager has so openly discredited the competition I don't know how we can expect the players to get up for it.

Fellaini was actually fine, he did his job pretty well. But that game really didn't require him, so things looked ponderous and slow. But he wasn't the only one, the entire tempo was flat and there was a massive whif of not arsed coming from the team.

I thought it was ridiculous that Memphis and Schneiderlan were left on the bench, and that Martial was given some time. He has been piss poor this season and Memphis should really be getting minutes in games like this. Schneiderlan also, as there is literally no need for Fellaini to be there.

Doc you have some gra for Depay I still hope he comes good but id prefer totry get Martial back to what he has shown as opposed to Depay who has never sparked at united

Yeah I mean the only thing he is being asked to do is carry the midfield in defence, link up the play, cover for high balls into the box and now seemingly should be rattling in a header or a 30 yard screamer every game.

He has been probably United's most consistent player the last few seasons. I don't know what people are expecting of him. Herrera is a better passer is now somehow an indictment of him, it's not like his passing is bad, in tight areas it's very good compared to a lot of players that have played in CM for United recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Heard Brad Friedel talking about Rooney yesterday and the commentator was making the point that it is a tricky situation.

BF said that it isn't really, Rooney has had many years at the top and the end comes to every player and football will continue. Utd relied on him in the past as he was the best, they have simply got better players than him in each position, whether through buying them i nor youth development.

Bf couldn't understand why everyone seems to be struggling to see that Rooney has dropped a level, it was totally natural and expected. His view was thanks for the memories but unless you continue to prove you are the best available in your position the next player is always ready.

Remember watching friedel doing pundit on rte for the WC 2014 and found him very good, very honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah I mean the only thing he is being asked to do is carry the midfield in defence, link up the play, cover for high balls into the box and now seemingly should be rattling in a header or a 30 yard screamer every game.

I mean, apart from the screamers and the headers, and nobody is asking for the screamers, you're talking about basic midfield tasks. He's having a good start to the season and is an able competitor, but there is also merit in the idea that we could maybe replace him with somebody better.

I mean, apart from the screamers and the headers, and nobody is asking for the screamers, you're talking about basic midfield tasks. He's having a good start to the season and is an able competitor, but there is also merit in the idea that we could maybe replace him with somebody better.

Pogba and Herrera will be overrun by any competent 3 man midfield. Grand for the home games against bottom half and I'd encourage that but Fellaini is far far better than Herrera in his defensive tasks and that's needed a lot too. As I said it's hardly like Fellaini is a bad passer, not being as good as Herrera doesn't make him worse at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    Pogba and Herrera will be overrun by any competent 3 man midfield. Grand for the home games against bottom half and I'd encourage that but Fellaini is far far better than Herrera in his defensive tasks and that's needed a lot too. As I said it's hardly like Fellaini is a bad passer, not being as good as Herrera doesn't make him worse at it.
    I'd still play Herrera and Pogba, but put Schneiderlin in with them against the top sides.

I think Pogba and Herrera are good enough going back and forward to play in such a midfield (with then two wingers and a striker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

From Reddit, Ibrahimovic less than impressed with Rooney's attempts at pressing...

http://gfycat.com/WebbedElaborateBubblefish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement