Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They had a great chance in the first half when the ball was cut back to Bony who missed it and instead fell to someone else at the edge of the box. His shot was weak though.

We already should have been two or three up at that stage. I'be seen you posting here over the last while and you take a very jar half empty view of all things United. It's strange to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

****ing disgraceful result.

Talk of the title is laughable now. Another scrap for top four.

These players need to pull their head out of their hole or will find themselves gone in the next few windows.

Mourinho also needs to get a ****ing grip. Big sulky head on him. Needs to start convincing me he isn't totally lost after his Chelsea sacking.

Absolute disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

100%. Days like today happen. We won't miss chances like that all season it will start to click

Wont create near that many chances against the better teams though..,...thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

:D - Win
    :rolleyes: - Draw
    :mad: - Lose

PL 2015-2016 - Bournemouth v Man U - 2 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Bournemouth v Man U - 1 -3 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Southampton - 0 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Southampton - 2 -0 :D

PL 2016-2017 - Hull v Man U - 0 -1 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Man C - 0 -0
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Man C - 1 -2 :mad:

EL 2016-2017 - Feyenoord v Man U - 1-0 :mad:

PL 2015-2016 - Watford v Man U - 1 -2
    PL 2016-2017 - Watford v Man U - 3 -1 :mad:

EFLC 2016-2017 Northampton v Man U - 1-3 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Leicester City - 1 -1
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Leicester City - 4 -1 :D

EL 2016-2017 - Man U v Zorya Luhansk - 1-0 :D

PL 2015-2016 - Man U v Stoke - 3 -0
    PL 2016-2017 - Man U v Stoke - 1 -1 :rolleyes:

Dissapointing to lose but i enjoyed the game for the most part, we are a work in progress but there is definite signs we are moving in the right direction.

It really is nice to watch a united game and not be bored out of your tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

There seem to be rose tinted glasses with regards to Pogba's performances so far.

Obviously involved in a lot of our decent play but not doing enough of the basics correctly right right now.

Don't see him working out in the current system.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Wont create near that many chances against the better teams though..,...thats the problem

We lost narrowly to City and hammered Leicester. They're the only real big games we've had. Hard to say how the bigger games will pan out because 80% of our fixtures so far have been against parked buses and quick counters. Interested to see how we cope with Liverpool actually committing men forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We already should have been two or three up at that stage. I'be seen you posting here over the last while and you take a very jar half empty view of all things United. It's strange to say the least.

I take a realistic view of all things United. We can say we should have scored 2 or 3 in the first half all we want. The fact is we didn't. Stoke had a couple of good chances themselves that they should have done better with.

When Jose took back over at Chelsea the year they finished third 4 points off the top they had 14 points after 7 games with a much more settled side so we can hold off the panic stations I'd say. Winning the league this year was always an outside chance. No need to man the panic stations just yet.

We lost narrowly to City and hammered Leicester. They're the only real big games we've had. Hard to say how the bigger games will pan out because 80% of our fixtures so far have been against parked buses and quick counters. Interested to see how we cope with Liverpool actually committing men forward.

Unless this team gets its head right Liverpool will rip us to shreds.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

These players need to pull their head out of their hole or will find themselves gone in the next few windows.

Mourinho also needs to get a ****ing grip. Big sulky head on him. Needs to start convincing me he isn't totally lost after his Chelsea sacking.

Absolute disgrace

Genuinely baffled at some of the meltdown responses today. We're less than ten games into the season with a new manager. We're worlds apart from what we were at last year. That will be a routine win when it all clicks. Give it some time.

I take a realistic view of all things United. We can say we should have scored 2 or 3 in the first half all we want. The fact is we didn't. Stoke had a couple of good chances themselves that they should have one better with.

I love how you can condraict yourself all in the space of a few sentences :D

Put down United over missed chances and build up stokes one I really do wonder if your a United fan and calling yourself realistic well give me a good laugh after that so ty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Very disappointed.

I don't like the "On another day..." arguements cause that doesn't put 3 points on the board.

Have been saying for a few games now that Ibra has been poor and I think he continued that today. A top level striker should have buried that chance early on.

After that, there is an element of luck/good defending. But our finishing was really all over the place. That we didn't put three or four past them is a blackspot on the whole team.

Pogba doesn't work in a 2 man midfield. We know that, and despite the Leicester game, he hasn't done well in the formation all season. I think he's playing ok, despite the fact the tactics aren't being built round him.

Frustrated no end.

EDIT: Though, all this "Oh the season is over" stuff is nonsense. We're not making it easy on ourselves, but we're 7 games in, so the idea of panicking is a joke....

I take a realistic view of all things United. We can say we should have scored 2 or 3 in the first half all we want. The fact is we didn't. Stoke had a couple of good chances themselves that they should have one better with.

The one and only chance they had first half was the equivalent of one Blind had second half to put us two up. We were good today in open play, the finishing just let us down massively. Hardly meltdown time imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Absolute disgrace

What a load of Bollox

The Ball wouldnt go in the net. 70% possession with 24 shots

today was one of them days Where Stoke Keeper was MOTM and DeGea ****ed up.

You're the one with the sulky head on ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Happyish with that. If Ibra scored in the 2nd minute I think it would have been a case of how many as stoke would have come out and we would have battered them on the counter.

Days like this happen...30+ efforts and 9 on target with 10+ corners tells it's own story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Genuinely baffled people thing Zlatan was poor today.

Should have scored today but though it was one of this better performances for us so far.

Very rarely gave the ball away and did well to kick start a lot of attacks, created most of his chances today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anfield next.

Think we're going to see Mourinho's bus for the first time. Don't think it'll do much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Lee Grant had the game of his life, his freak performance aside that was 3-1 or 4-1. Season is over talk is absolute nonsense.

City struggled to put Celtic away during the week, but they're home and hosed as far as the thread is concerned.

I love how you can condraict yourself all in the space of a few sentences :D

Put down United over missed chances and build up stokes one I really do wonder if your a United fan and calling yourself realistic well give me a good laugh after that so ty.

How did I contradict myself? United had chances they should have scored. So did Stoke.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Anfield next.

Think we're going to see Mourinho's bus for the first time. Don't think it'll do much though.

That'll be the one we win 3-0 with a couple of ropey efforts ending up in the net. We are going from the sublime to the ridiculous at times this year, which is to be expected. I am enjoying this a million times more than under Van Gaal.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    What a load of Bollox

The Ball wouldnt go in the net. 70% possession with 24 shots

today was one of them days Where Stoke Keeper was MOTM and DeGea ****ed up.

You're the one with the sulky head on ya

I'm sick to death giving this team and this club the benefit of the doubt.

Another set of dropped points at home to an atrocious team.

The club has set fan expectations this season. The manager has. For three years I've accepted absolute below par by his clubs standards and that needs to stop.

During with Stoke in their current form is a decent. Next we will lose to a Tony Pulis team and someone will tell me "just one of those days".

Stoke should be dead and buried in 45 minutes at home, dead and buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That'll be the one we win 3-0 with a couple of ropey efforts ending up in the net. We are going from the sublime to the ridiculous at times this year, which is to be expected. I am enjoying this a million times more than under Van Gaal.

LVG always did well against the big teams and struggled to break down the smaller teams. In theory this team should be blowing away the likes of Stoke and Watford but are again struggling. It's more of the same with extra flair and more bad passes. Not enjoying it one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tactically today we were spot on.

We were under no pressure what so ever for the first hour.

We played some lovely, fluid attacking football and should have been at least two nil up by half time.

People saying Jose needs to sort himself out need to take a tall glass of cop the fcuk on.

I'd expect that kind of rubbish from some of the clowns in the match thread trying to get a rise but Jesus Christ, he cannot physically score the goals for us.

Rashford was very good again.

Lingard is simply not good enough for a starting place and that has been proven once again. He runs lots but more often than not has no end product. I fully expect Mikhi to get a crack at the first team when fit.

Bailly was brilliant again.

Blind played well.

Ibra did OK but missed one gilt edged chance.

Ander was a little bit wayward for parts.

Mata did alright.

Martial took his chance well but didn't do much else.

Valencia wasn't great I thought.

We have shaw to come back in which will give us more width on the left.

It was a very frustrating day but there was more there today than in most of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lingard should have had an assist for Pogba and was unlucky not to score from Zlatan's cross. He wasn't the problem today. He was very good for the time he was on.

• Sunday meltdowns :P
    Calm the heads lads, plenty of positives to take from today
    I blame the result on zerks for starting the match thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So far Bravo Spurs.

We can all be pessimistic about the draw, but we can see Jose is changing the team gradually.
    Rooney has been dropped, Fellaini has been dropped, Rashford is starting, Herrera is starting.
    I think we are heading to a 4-3-3 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Days like this happen...30+ efforts and 9 on target with 10+ corners tells it's own story

Especially after seasons where we would have only one shot on goal all game, two on a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Disappointing to see those chances missed today. I don't buy the 'on another day we could have had 4 or 5' comments. Pogba and Ibra missed sitters. No excuses today. Just not good enough.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    So far Bravo Spurs.

But I was told Pep had made City invincible and was going to steamroll the league :confused:

City are the favorites, but it's not going to be as easy as some think for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Lord TSC wrote: »
    But I was told Pep had made City invincible and was going to steamroll the league :confused:

City are the favorites, but it's not going to be as easy as some think for them.

Its just like last season - City win 5 games on the trot and the media are talking like they've never seen a team in good form before.

33 games later they are scrabbling for 4th on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City have an off day but are still top of the league

They'll murder most of the small teams and that's where you win the league

RobertKK wrote: »
    So far Bravo Spurs.

We can all be pessimistic about the draw, but we can see Jose is changing the team gradually.
    Rooney has been dropped, Fellaini has been dropped, Rashford is starting, Herrera is starting.
    I think we are heading to a 4-3-3 formation.

Preseason and seven games into the season. Six months watching this side from his couch.

Id have expected him to have a pretty firm idea what he wants this team to do.

I'm sure this team will click and Jose will get right, but it doesn't excuse these dropped points. No time for transitions at a big club.

We're too predictable in our play. Despite the players we have it always just comes down to playing a wide player into space to send in a cross which is often just 50:50 at best. We often do this at quite a pedestrian pace as well. We can't mix it up and play intricate football through the middle the way City, Pool, Arsenal can. We saw a bit of it last week with Mata's goal but it's not something we do often enough. We don't play and press with the intensity of Liverpool either. It's quite easy to defend against, especially when everyone knows it will be Ibrahimovic up top unless injured or suspended. Wouldn't mind seeing Martial or Rashford given a run there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

As it stands we are 5 off city 4 off spurs and 3 off Liverpool it's hardley time for a meltdown. Our finishing let us down today but we played some great football.
    25 shots on goal and nine on target there keeper was man of the match.

I don't get the melt down the league will start shaping up after Xmas then we have an idea where we all are if pogba had of got his chance an inch lower people would be pro claiming him great and United in fine shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well I'm hopping on the meltdown train early.

A few more will be joining me after our next two league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

De Gea and his #TeamDave supporters will be very quiet, what was he at for the equalizer?

Don't get me wrong, I know we should have won easily but the goal reeked of a schoolboy error.

City have an off day but are still top of the league

They'll murder most of the small teams and that's where you win the league

Twice in a week it was put to them & they didn't like it. United had a good go at them too at the end & it makes for good food for thought on them.

Lots of their lads were in hiding today when it came to a battle.

Spurs on a another note have the best full-backs in the league currently. Pure bottle especially little Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

De Gea and his #TeamDave supporters will be very quiet, what was he at for the equalizer?

Don't get me wrong, I know we should have won easily but the goal reeked of a schoolboy error.

Exactly what it was, I'm sure he's been told, and he'll brush it off not let happen again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So a player, that has been the best at the club for the last two or three years, a player who has saved our blushes an uncountable number of times, makes one mistake and you are going to make a big song and dance of it.

Good lad.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

This is a very bizarre post.:confused:
    Basically everyone that has commented on the match have mentioned that it was his fault for the goal.

But fúck it, he has carried the team for the past three seasons so he's allowed to mess up for once, imo.

So a player, that has been the best at the club for the last two or three years, a player who has saved our blushes an uncountable number of times, makes one mistake and you are going to make a big song and dance of it.

Good lad.

:rolleyes:

He made a mistake and anyone is entitled to be p**ed off about it.

It gave them a draw.

Good Lad.

baz2009 wrote: »
    This is a very bizarre post.:confused:
    Basically everyone that has commented on the match have mentioned that it was his fault for the goal.

What's your point, so because everyone else said it was his fault I can't say it?

Is anybody in here not on #teamdave?

What's your point, so because everyone else said it was his fault I can't say it?

The way you phrase it is as if DDG is some massively divisive figure, where half the fans love him and half the fans hate him. "Team Dave" makes it sound like there's a "Anti Dave" team. Which there doesn't ever seem to be for a very, very, VERY good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The way you phrase it is as if DDG is some massively divisive figure, where half the fans love him and half the fans hate him. "Team Dave" makes it sound like there's a "Anti Dave" team. Which there doesn't ever seem to be for a very, very, VERY good reason.

There was one, a long time ago.

Anyway hashtags are weird on a forum like this.
    #weirdhastags #didntknowteamdavewasathing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

More firepower for those #AntiTeamDave folks. wait, what :confused::confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Very early in the season to be coming to any conclusions about anything. Utd and Chelsea have looked a bit suspect at times, but are certainly not far off the pace at all. There are 6 strong teams that are competing for the top 6 (someone else might come from the pack to grab 6th, but not top 4).

Things in football change so quickly, especially when there are 3 of those 6 sides with new managers at the helm. I'm as prone to a jerked knee as the next man but there is a long season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its not though. Yes we dropped points and hadn't the best day but the performance was very different to any from the Van Gaal era.

No you're right, it wasn't. I waw just annoyed we dropped silly points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Preseason and seven games into the season. Six months watching this side from his couch.

Id have expected him to have a pretty firm idea what he wants this team to do.

I'm sure this team will click and Jose will get right, but it doesn't excuse these dropped points. No time for transitions at a big club.

Stoke are also shipping goals left right and centre, 15 in 6 games or so, so it's not like it was a determined defence either.

If you're a side who have been struggling to get it going in attack and then don't take the chances you do create, that's not good, beit six games or 60 games in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement