Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dfx- wrote: »
    Stoke are also shipping goals left right and centre, 15 in 6 games or so, so it's not like it was a determined defence either.

If you're a side who have been struggling to get it going in attack and then don't take the chances you do create, that's not good, beit six games or 60 games in.

That's just it though. We aren't struggling to create. The only league game where we have struggled in that way was against Watford. Even against City, they battered us first half and we still were creating and could have easily tied it up or even won second half. This all needs to be juxtaposed against what was served up to us the last three years to really see the improvement. Days like today are frustrating but I feel we're building towards an excellent attack. I'm actually more concerned with defence out wide coupled with being a bit soft in the midfield in transition and DDG not being at his wall-like best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's just it though. We aren't struggling to create. The only league game where we have struggled in that way was against Watford. Even against City, they battered us first half and we still were creating and could have easily tied it up or even won second half. This all needs to be juxtaposed against what was served up to us the last three years to really see the improvement. Days like today are frustrating but I feel we're building towards an excellent attack. I'm actually more concerned with defence out wide coupled with being a bit soft in the midfield in transition and DDG not being at his wall-like best.

Valencia is still useless going forward and Blind doesn't really have the explosive pace needed to be a top level full back. These positions are important as the wingers do like to come inside.

Blind somewhat makes up for it I guess with great attacking timing and good crossing, a bit like Gary Neville but Valencia wastes so much going forward and his defense is very suspect. That's being nice about what he offers there. Don't know why Darmian has been frozen out at all.

• jaykay74 wrote: »

He's a credit to the game
    One of the most humble and caring soccer players I have witnessed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I can see where he gets it from, I sat next to his father last season at a game, gentleman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The old bangkok is back ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

M!Ck^ wrote: »

We could probably sustain an entire superthread dedicated to "Nice guy Mata" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We could probably sustain an entire superthread dedicated to "Nice guy Mata" :)

Well if we have a thread for Rooney we could surely have one for the Spanish 3.

Was nice to see Tony martial show some passion amd some badge tapping after scoring today. He needed that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see Lingard has become the latest average player to get an England call up thanks to playing a few games for a big cub.

Its not his fault of course, fair play to him, but same as with the likes of Cleverly before him if he at a smaller club he wouldn't be near the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    I can see where he gets it from, I sat next to his father last season at a game, gentleman

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »

Was that in Turin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was that in Turin?

Would ye leave the man alone FFS
    He mentioned it last year that he'd been at a match and was beside Mata's dad
    I for one believe that

I played soccer as a teen with xabi alonso when he was in my home town on a three week exchange, just because you weren't there or I don't have proof doesn't mean it didn't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dfx- wrote: »
    Stoke are also shipping goals left right and centre, 15 in 6 games or so, so it's not like it was a determined defence either.

If you're a side who have been struggling to get it going in attack and then don't take the chances you do create, that's not good, beit six games or 60 games in.

This is the brunt of my frustration. I can take our team loosing or dropping points against genuine rivals, but loosing or drawing to the likes of Stoke is shocking. Stoke are in absolute turgid form, have a woeful defence and a blunt attack and an absolutely void of a midfield.

And this has been United for three seasons now. Stupid points dropped or lost against sides we should be beating comfortably. And that is where leagues are won or lost, that is where champions league football is gained, not in the big games, but avoiding slips in games like today.

Mourinho of all people I expect to know this and ensure the teams grind it out. But I've more issue with the players not putting that game to bed.

But Jose isn't helping, looking somewhat clueless as to what he wants this team to look like or do, seven games in, with a full pre-season behind him.

brinty wrote: »
    I for one believe that

I played soccer as a teen with xabi alonso when he was in my home town on a three week exchange, just because you weren't there or I don't have proof doesn't mean it didn't happen

Are you from Kells brinty? :D

brinty wrote: »
    I for one believe that

In fairness when he takes quotes from former players or associates of the club, changes them a bit, then re-tells them as his own stories, you have to question basically everything.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Are you from Kells brinty? :D

I am Stan

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness when he takes quotes from former players or associates of the club, changes them a bit, then re-tells them as his own stories, you have to question basically everything.

Doc I know that and i,m his harshest critic
    But I'm giving him a pass on this one as he's been consistEnt on this story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jayo26 wrote: »
    The old bangkok is back ;)

Bangkok, Mata's dad, Felliani's missus and some lad from Turin all go to the games together. So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I see Lingard has become the latest average player to get an England call up thanks to playing a few games for a big cub.

Its not his fault of course, fair play to him, but same as with the likes of Cleverly before him if he at a smaller club he wouldn't be near the squad.
    Emile-Heskey-006.jpg

62 caps, 7 goals... and only 2 in his last 29 games! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pogba awful, Zlatan was poor, Rooney did nothing

Not good enough

Pogba wasn't awful.

He had a good game and on his good day or with bit of luck could have turned to great game. He loses possession as he tries to unlock defenses, maybe people are happy with likes of Cleverley who does nothing but pass it to the nearest player.

Also against Stoke Pogba created 2 chances to Zlatan, 1 in the opening mins which was very good pass and also one in the last mins when he dribbled and passed it to Ibra and Keeper made a decent save.

He could have scored from corner which missed by yard, his finishing was poor for the chance created by Lingard and he hit the woodwork in the last min.

He also created chance to Rooney who slid but missed by a yard.

Like I said, game was good which had potential to be great game with bit of luck. Most important thing is as a midfielder he is getting into lot of great positions and it's only matter of time before he starts scoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mourinho of all people I expect to know this and ensure the teams grind it out. But I've more issue with the players not putting that game to bed.

But Jose isn't helping, looking somewhat clueless as to what he wants this team to look like or do, seven games in, with a full pre-season behind him.

I can't blame Jose in any way for yesterday. He put out a team that was capable of dominating possession AND carving Stoke open multiple times. But at the end of the day, Jose can't put the ball physically into the back of the net. That's down to the players. It was our finishing, pure and simple, which failed us yesterday. Not tactics or playing the wrong team.

i said at the time it was a joke!!

no big deal sitting beside his father, ticket was for family member section beside tunnel.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I can't blame Jose in any way for yesterday. He put out a team that was capable of dominating possession AND carving Stoke open multiple times. But at the end of the day, Jose can't put the ball physically into the back of the net. That's down to the players. It was our finishing, pure and simple, which failed us yesterday. Not tactics or playing the wrong team.

That's totally understandable. I wouldn't hold him to account for yesterday either, in that one of context.

But at a higher level, the team doesn't look right or settled, and he has an awful scorned look about him anytime I see him lately.

And he will be accountable should the team continue to drop points against weaker/poorer opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The one thing i expected by now would have jose to know his best 11 which i dont think he does and to have a solid base defensively which i think still a bit away.

I think its going to be another year that top 4 will turn out to be a good season but its not what anyone wants as the seasons before have been tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Compare yesterday to last season,under LVG we would have played 400 sideways or backwards passes and been bored off our tits.Yesterday we created enough chances to win 3 or 4 games,their 'keeper played the game of his life and we missed chances that on another day would have gone in.DDG made a mistake (in fairness he barely ever does that) and we were punished yet still we pushed on and tried to score a winner.Last season we'd have conceded and still played sideways and back.
    It's not as if games like this happened before,even under Fergie we had days like that,dominated the ball,created chance after chance and still didn't win.I'm annoyed we didn't win the game but not in a way a few are losing their minds here.

United have contacted the Armenian FA:

Red Devils’ medical chief Dr Steve McNally penning a letter saying:

“Henrikh is still undergoing late stage rehabilitation from the left thigh muscle injury that he sustained earlier this month whilst playing for Manchester United,” McNally’s said.

“Although his progress has been good over the past week, he is participating in limited aspects of team training and is not yet able to train fully without restrictions or play competitively.

“In view of that I would be grateful if he could be allowed to withdraw from the National Team for the forthcoming training camp and FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches in order to remain in Manchester to complete his rehabilitation.”

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

That's totally understandable. I wouldn't hold him to account for yesterday either, in that one of context.

But at a higher level, the team doesn't look right or settled, and he has an awful scorned look about him anytime I see him lately.

And he will be accountable should the team continue to drop points against weaker/poorer opposition.

He played the same 11 that thumped the current league champions and that 11 battered stoke for 90 minutes and bar poor finishing and some great goal keeping would have thumped them on any other day. How does that come across as unsettled?

I'd have a scorned look on my face if a 90mil world beater missed 3 sitters.

Mourhino can't help Pogba's woeful finishing.
    He couldn't hold the ball for DDG's howler.

I think the fact he's picked the same 11 would make think he's getting closer to identifying a team that will destroy the majority of teams in the league.

The next puzzle is what he's going to do against the bigger teams. The worrying thing is he doesn't have a lot of time to do this with some massive games this month. Miki's injury and lack of game time couldn't have come at a worse time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

jaykay74 wrote: »

Just when we thought nice-guy-Mata couldn't get any nicer. Proud to have such a great guy & a wonderful ambassador representing our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Interesting piece by Richard Kurt in The Examiner today.

He saying pretty much that it's not a group against the manager but a couple of the younger "regular" players causing trouble.

One for his off the field antics and his spending in particular.

Another younger player appears to be unlucky victim of a excessively physical overreaction from a older pro to some supposed disloyalty, of which he says we may hear more of.

Of course that's every clubs day to day life to some degree, but be interesting to see if we hear more. If it is true in first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He saying pretty much that it's not a group against the manager but a couple of the younger "regular" players causing trouble.

Another younger player appears to be unlucky victim of a excessively physical overreaction from a older pro to some supposed disloyalty, of which he says we may hear more of.

Of course that's every clubs day to day life to some degree, but be interesting to see if we hear more. If it is true in first place.

memphis and shaw maybe if theres any truth to it.

memphis looks like a guy who likes to spend money

• Advertisement

Just when we thought nice-guy-Mata couldn't get any nicer. Proud to have such a great guy & a wonderful ambassador representing our club.

One guy with us last week brought his young lad to OT the night before the game,got loads of pics with the players.After the game he hung around to see if he could get more,Mata was driving out and called the young lad over.The lad said "sure I got one with you last night" and Mata replied "It's always good to get more photo's with Juan":)

sky88 wrote: »
    memphis and shaw maybe if theres any truth to it.

memphis looks like a guy who likes to spend money

Which one said Rooney is gone to sh1te?:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Any update on Shaws injury? Think he'll struggle to regain his place unless there is an injury/suspension

zlatan-birthday.jpg?q=75&w=634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Have you a link for this please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As far as "the team doesn't looked settled", as above, I think it pretty much is. There's the Rooney problem, which isn't an easy fix and was always going to take some time, and there's one or two players who've gone off the boil for whatever reason (Martial, for example). But I don't agree he doesn't know his best 11; I think the team we saw in the last two league games is it, bar Shaw who was absent.

He's also got the issue that there's been some juggling to account for some squad players playing themselves into the first team (Blind, Herrera, Rashford), and injuries messing him round a bit (again Shaw, but also Mkhi). But neither of those are his fault.

He will be accountable long term if the trend continues, but based on yesterdays game, it's all on the players.

As far as his sulky demenour, he's kind of in a lose/lose there; everything he says to the media gets twisted into an attack on someone or a drama of some sort. I'd be reluctant to talk to the media or even smile at them if they were being so antagonistic to me. Of course, thats a thin tight-rope to walk, cause they'll hang him if he doesn't get the results. But I really couldn't care if he's smiling or scowling, no more than I cared about if LVG was sitting or standing. Results, ultimately, are what matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What's wrong with a millionaire spending money :confused:

What's wrong with a millionaire spending money :confused:

Probably concentrating more on the spending and good times rather than the football is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

zerks wrote: »
    Probably concentrating more on the spending and good times rather than the football is the problem.

Story of United's season so far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

As far as "the team doesn't looked settled", as above, I think it pretty much is. There's the Rooney problem, which isn't an easy fix and was always going to take some time, and there's one or two players who've gone off the boil for whatever reason (Martial, for example). But I don't agree he doesn't know his best 11; I think the team we saw in the last two league games is it, bar Shaw who was absent.

He's also got the issue that there's been some juggling to account for some squad players playing themselves into the first team (Blind, Herrera, Rashford), and injuries messing him round a bit (again Shaw, but also Mkhi). But neither of those are his fault.

He will be accountable long term if the trend continues, but based on yesterdays game, it's all on the players.

As far as his sulky demenour, he's kind of in a lose/lose there; everything he says to the media gets twisted into an attack on someone or a drama of some sort. I'd be reluctant to talk to the media or even smile at them if they were being so antagonistic to me. Of course, thats a thin tight-rope to walk, cause they'll hang him if he doesn't get the results. But I really couldn't care if he's smiling or scowling, no more than I cared about if LVG was sitting or standing. Results, ultimately, are what matters.

He has a tricky decision to make when Shaw is fit.

Daley has done very well as a makeshift LB but Shaw is obviously our best natural player in that position. His range of passing and over all contribution to the team so far this sesson means his is pretty much undroppable.

With a fully fit squad I'd like to see, based on current player form.

DDG

Val
    Mike
    Bailly
    Shaw

Blind

Pogs
    Herrara
    Mata

Ibra
    Rashers

Mata deserves his place in the squad, as does Rashers.

Blind I think could do well sitting between the defenders and more forward thinking midfielders. Its not ideal but he is a better footballer than Fellaini.

I can understand the criticism of Ibra from some fans however he was brought in to score goals which he has been doing.

If Rooney is given a shot he has to be played as a striker rather than a roving attacking MF.

I'd love to see Martial given a shot at CF / Striker, time will tell whether Jose wants to use him that way.

Mikhi is still adjusting and fitness has been an issue since he joined but if he can find the form he displayed over the last 12 monthsI think he would displace Mata.

Its obvious we have a wealth of talent to choose from in the final third but we are missing a midfield enforcer. It looks like Jose doesn't rate Darmian which is a pity so I think we need a natural right back.

Barring CM the squad is in as good a condition as its been in recent memory.

Jose will need time to get his best 11 sorted but on paper, there is no reason to fear anything in the PL.

Still dont know why we arent seeing much of carrick...

would love to see us with

de gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Blind
    Shaw

Carrick

Herrera
    Pogba

Mkhitaryan
    Rashford or ibra
    Martial

Shearer reckons Rashford deserves to start for England and Rooney should not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3819822/Marcus-Rashford-start-England-Wayne-Rooney-not-play-says-Alan-Shearer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

'He [Rashford] has been knocking on the door until now,' former England captain Shearer wrote in his column for The Sun. 'He is crashing on it with his performances for Manchester United. If you can step up to the plate for them, England will hold no worries for him.

'Now is the chance to see the very best from him in his best position, straight up front. Not just one game either, give him a run,'

'The question then, is who plays just behind him? It should not be Wayne Rooney. He has not started in the last three games for his club and doesn't look like getting back into this Manchester United side.

'This is why I said it would have been better for him to retire from international football after the Euros. He can no longer do it for club and country.

'Right now, he can't even do it for his club and that is what he needs to concentrate on to have a chance of extending his career. I would put Dele Alli in behind Rashford.'

I was delighted for Martial yesterday. He looked quite happy with himself on the run back for the reset after his goal celebration, could see the goal meant a lot to him. In his last few appearances from the bench he has shown shades of improvement after a bad start to the season, hopefully the goal will bring that on even more. While watching shiny new Pogba, Ibra, Rashford and then other matters soaking up attention (Rooney for example) it can be easy to forget just what Martial is like when he is on his game.

It was just one of those days - There was a combination of instances where we should have taken our chances better (Ibra early on, two Pogba headers), and times where their keeper Lee Grant was simply having the game of his life (Lingard's attempt at the near post after a Zlatan pass). With more chances yesterday than in any run of 6-8 games last season, this team is really beginning to look dangerous in attack with the players starting to link up well and get used to each others movements.

Disappointed with the result, happy with the performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really horrible not to pick up 3 points yesterday given we completely dominated the game, created loads of gilt edged chances and messed them up. Hard to accept it when it was a howler from DeGea that screwed us.

Also, City dropping points makes it even more galling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Annoying, but not too worried about the dropped points yesterday. It really was a freak result considering the amount that of quality scoring opportunities we created. On another day if all decent chances were scored for both sides that game might have finished 5-2.

Both performances in our last two league games have been very encouraging IMO.

It's very early days in The season and we are definitely improving. Look at Klopp last season with Liverpool and look at them now. Jose is one of the best managers in the world and he has all the resources and backing he needs to get the team back to regular winning ways.

Let's see how we are looking coming into the Christmas period. If the quality of our performances is declining at that stage then it will be genuine cause for concern but right now we are heading in the right direction IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quandary wrote: »
    Annoying, but not too worried about the dropped points yesterday. It really was a freak result considering the amount that of quality scoring opportunities we created. On another day if all decent chances were scored for both sides that game might have finished 5-2.

Both performances in our last two league games have been very encouraging IMO.

It's very early days in The season and we are definitely improving. Look at Klopp last season with Liverpool and look at them now. Jose is one of the best managers in the world and he has all the resources and backing he needs to get the team back to regular winning ways.

Let's see how we are looking coming into the Christmas period. If the quality of our performances is declining at that stage then it will be genuine cause for concern but right now we are heading in the right direction IMO.

Absolutely.

If we are within 5 or 6 points of the leaders on the 1st od January then I'll be quite content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

I suppose a point from a freak game is better than none, pool had a freak game against Burnley and got Nada.
    Encouraged by the amount of chances created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Giggsy11 wrote: »

You look at how much Ibra was involved in that clip and then you have people saying he didn't contribute to much.....the mind boggles

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement