Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

secman wrote: »
    I suppose a point from a freak game is better than none, pool had a freak game against Burnley and got Nada.
    Encouraged by the amount of chances created.

They were away.

We were at home to an absolute garbage Stoke team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

J. Marston wrote: »
    They were away.

We were at home to an absolute garbage Stoke team.

See the stats for the Liverpool Burnley game ? Home or away it was a freak result, just like ours, but we got a point. I was pissed off too but when I saw the highlights and stats, it was just one of those games. **** happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The real pain is the delay before the next game and the chance to make up for it.

Last time out the international break was a bad time, hopefully it works out better this time. Zlatan, Herrera and Mata all get a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Not looking forward to the Liverpool game at all

I'll be watching from behind the couch, two teams at the opposite ends of the luck spectrum

• Meh
    Suck it up and get behind Utd I say
    They are beatable like everyone else
    And anyway, history has shown over-confidence is almost always the most hilarious of downfalls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I wouldn't be confident against Liverpool but there defence is poor so there'll always be chances against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Night time kick off. Against big rivals. During the week. Under the lights at Anfield.
    They always seem to find an extra gear and the crowd an extra few decibels in those situations. It's going to be a really tough game to get anything from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stoke are a much better team then table suggests at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shaqiri just back from injury and they finally drop Given too.

Doesn't change the fact that United should have won easily though. Incapable of controlling a game at the moment. The forward players are looking good but the platform isn't there in the middle. Nobody to bring the ball out of defence and link up the play.

The team doesn't have a solid base and it's going to lead to teams running all over them and i don't see that changing until a DM is played consistently in a 3 man midfield. Pogba and Herrera is fine against the bottom dwellers but against the good teams and even at times against the bottom dwellers they get overrun. It's baffling as it's so un-Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Delighted to see Michael keane getting a call up to England squad has done well for himself and has a great future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah, they are a mid table team.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And we have ALWAYS dropped points to mid table teams at some stage or another.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

secman wrote: »
    See the stats for the Liverpool Burnley game ? Home or away it was a freak result, just like ours, but we got a point. I was pissed off too but when I saw the highlights and stats, it was just one of those games. **** happens.

Stats don't always tell the whole truth. Liverpool created nothing against Burnley, no real chances at all. The keeper didn't have a great game, it wasn't a freak, just no penetration and composure at all. We had all the ball and loads of shots, but those shots were mostly from 30 yards and nowhere close to going in. It was frustrating in a very different way to Utd against Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

jayo26 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Michael keane getting a call up to England squad has done well for himself and has a great future.
    Do we have buy back clause for Keane? It's always something that annoys me that we don't do. Seems mandatory in all Barca/Madrid deals for young players they sell

Do we have buy back clause for Keane? It's always something that annoys me that we don't do. Seems mandatory in all Barca/Madrid deals for young players they sell

Of course we don't have a but back that be madness. Agree with you it's not great alright but saying that not many of our players we let go are actually up there in the top tear. Even drinkwater don't seem to be able do it consistant enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Of course we don't have a buty back that be madness. Agree with you it's not great alright but saying that not many of our players we let go are actually up there in the top tiear other than the worlds most expensive footballer that is. Even Ddrinkwater doesn't seem to be able do it consistantly enough.

Fixed that for ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Funny-memes-that-post-was-hilarious.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fixed that for ya you :p

• Advertisement

Thanks for the spelling check cheers.

And again pogba was not released by the club or sold by the club it's well known by everyone he was out of contract and would not sign a new deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

That awkward moment when you're correcting someone's grammar and spelling and you miss some... Even in the same word that you "corrected".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Rooney interview Q&A. I'd say he was ready to break by the end of it! :pac:
    What did you make of Sam Allardyce’s departure? Sad to see him go?

WR: "All the players would be sad to see Sam go. Everyone could see how much he wanted the England manager’s job and finally got it. What happened has happened. I’m sure he is disappointed with himself. The FA had a decision to make which they made. I’m sure he’s gutted. There’s not really much I can say on it. I’m sure he’s disappointed with himself. He’s let a big opportunity for himself slip."

Is it an example of how times have changed during the years since you started out in the game?

"I think that’s why it is so important you know the environment around you, the people around you. Sam’s an experienced man in football, and in life, and he’s been caught out. So it’s vitally important that players, young players are aware of that. I’m sure they are all know, but if you put yourselves in some positions it could be really damaging."

Is it difficult to trust people?

"Yes, it is difficult. There are not many I do, to be honest, apart from family and close friends. You have to be aware of everything. Everyone you speak to. It’s only really behind closed doors that you can be yourself. It is sad in a way but that’s football, that’s the way of life, certainly in this country."

Have you contacted Sam since last week?

"I haven’t spoken to Sam."

Text?

"No."

You have admitted to being ‘tired’ of the debate around your best position? What’s the root of that?

"I’ve said many times I’ll play for England as striker, midfield, No 10. It was a bit of misunderstanding after the last game, when Sam came out and said I play where I want. I played exactly to instructions, what was asked of me, that role. I didn’t come in and say I want to play here or there, I played where I was asked to play. That was a big misunderstanding that I seemed to get slaughtered for. But again that’s something I have to deal with and I’m sure Gareth will have his opinions where I should play or if I play. I’m sure he will have his thoughts on that and I will find out in the next few days."

So where do you feel most comfortable? What do you think is your best position?

"Again, it is difficult. I said at the end of last season I was enjoying playing in midfield. I feel I can bring a lot to the game from there, but obviously, under circumstances I know I could go on the training pitch now and be asked to play No.9, as a striker, or be asked to be 10 too. I’ll see what happens and if I become uncomfortable playing in a position where I’m asked to play, of course I’ll say."

Jose Mourinho suggested that you came back a different player, different person, after the last international break. Do you know what he meant?

"I have had criticism a lot of times. You’ll have to ask him that. Listen, I had a bad game at Watford. I played bad, I know that and I understand that. I think if he was picking the next team on the back of that, I understand not playing. The team have done well, certainly in the Leicester game since that. I understand I have to work hard and try and get back and try and get my chance and take it. I don’t think he meant I’d come back a different player. We had come back and lost three games on the run. The team came back different, but I’ll take a lot of that. Of course, I’ve done that throughout my career, but we have to work as a team in terms of trying to win and, if I’m on the bench, so be it. I’ll fight. I won’t not fight for my place, I’ll fight to try and get back in."

Are you worried about your form?

"No. To be honest, I felt I started the season okay. Again I had a bad game, certainly a very bad second half, against Watford. But I am not worried, no."

So you don’t feel the game, your form, is getting away from you?

"No. Of course I know I can do better. If I don’t play very well, there is a massive over-hype which comes from everywhere really, so I have to just focus on playing."

Are you just as hard on yourself as others are hard on you?

"Of course I am. I am an honest player, I am honest with myself. I speak to a couple of people after every game and they are honest with me after every game. If they feel I haven’t played well, they tell me and I know that. I know that during a game – I can feel if I’m not playing well"

At some point in your career, it happens to everyone, you will know that you are ‘gone.’ Have you reached that stage?

"I have heard a lot of people talking about transition (changing positions), well let me do it. If that is what’s going to happen, let me do that. I feel I am not being given a chance, if that is the way I want to go in my career, to expand it. I am not being given that chance to go from there to there. It is all right talking about your career, saying you can extend it by doing this and that, but of course you need to be given that chance to do it. If I was sat here at 25, 26 talking about playing centre midfield or a deeper midfield I wouldn’t want to play there of course. But now I’m at a stage where that might be better suited to me. Certainly No.10 might be better suited to me. Again, it is down to the managers, I am not going to go in and say ‘I have to play there’. I play where the manager asks me."

Has Jose Mourinho asked you where you feel you are most comfortable?

"Yeah, of course. We spoke at the start of the season and, as he said to you guys, he feels like my best position is further forward, so that's where I will play."

Isn’t there a contradiction between what you want and what he wants?

"I'm not saying that I want to go and play there. I've said in the last couple of years that will happen. Whether it happens now or in a year or two's time, time will tell. Listen, I believe in the managers I work under and if that's where they want me to play, that's where I'll play."

Why do you feel you are better in midfield?

"I feel I can control and dictate games from there. I'm not saying I'm better. I'm saying I can play there to a very high standard. Time will tell."

Is there something you have lost from your game that makes you better up front?

"Of course, it's obvious I'm not as quick as I was. "You can always have a football brain. I've got that. A lot is made of where I play, and how I play, and obviously it gets a bit frustrating at times. But of course there will come a time, if I'm not playing, I might have to be a bit more selfish in terms of where I want to play and making that clear. But at the minute, I'm happy playing where my managers want me to play."

But why not tell Jose Mourinho? It's your career?

"I speak to the manager, but I don't think it's the time for me to be doing that. I've always put the team as more important. The team are doing well at the minute, so I have to bide my time and wait for my opportunity."

Does Mourinho listen?

"I'm sure he would. We chat every day. I've said before, I knew the Watford game I didn't play well. I didn't deserve to play the next game, I understood that and the team have done well, so I have to bide my time and take my chance."

Many people have claimed that, because you started at 16, your football age is older than your actual age? They call it the burn-out theory – do you accept that?

"I've heard it, I don't agree with it. I can understand where it comes from. I've played football, like most players, since I was a young boy. I know it requires a different mentality, with different concentration, at the highest level. "But you're playing – whether it is first team, reserves, youth team. You're still training and playing every day, so I don't really agree too much with it."

Do you still love the game as you always have done?

"I love football. In football, you have highs and lows. I wake up every day and love what I am doing. I said to you last time that when I am finished playing, I cannot imagine my life without football."

Do you dread the day when it all ends?

"Yes. Any player who has played since he was a kid will say that. You speak to players who have done that and they say it is a weird feeling. You enjoy it while you can. I have not even thought about it."

Gareth Southgate met you last week to tell you that you would keep the England captaincy. How important was that?

"The last time there was a lot of speculation (about the captaincy) and it was good he came up as it stopped the speculation. We had a chat. He hasn’t been around the players that much and asked what it is like and how we can move forward as a team."

Is there anything you told him that you thought could be done better?

"Yes, a few things. I think, of course, there are always things which could be done better. I am sure he will be trying to work on stuff to do that. There are things we can all do better to be successful."

Have you reached the end? Do you feel this stage of your career is now the beginning of the end?

"No. It is part of football. It is the challenge and I am determined to get back in the team."

Lots of people, in and out of the game, are you saying you are finished.

"I think people have their opinions. I have said it so many times that people are entitled to their opinions. It is football and you cannot play all the time even if you want to. I am at a stage I want to play. I am a fighter. I want to get back in the team. I will work hard to try and do that. This is where I am at. I am sure people who know me know I will come back."

Can you get the same buzz from playing in a deeper role as you get from scoring goals as a striker?

"Of course you cannot beat the feeling of scoring goals, but my career will be determined on what we won as a team. I am not a player who is happy to not to win as a team but to get individual trophies. "I have never been that sort of player. I am proud of the trophies we have won as a team. That is the way I am now. I want to play football. I love football whether it is scoring or not."

You can get away with a bad game up-front if you score a goal, but is it less easy to do that as a midfielder?

"I certainly feel that in the last game against Slovakia, I was nowhere near as bad a lot of people were making out. I felt that the change which Sam Allardyce made, in putting Dele Alli in the number ten and me and Eric Dier behind him, won us the game."

That quote from Sam about you playing wherever you want didn’t do you any favours in hindsight, did it?

"Sam knew he made a mistake. He said that to me on the plane home."

People took that as Sam saying that you picked the team?

"Exactly, which couldn’t be further from the truth. I play to instructions. I got battered in many different ways for my performance, which I felt was actually a decent performance. I suffered from that, but I thought Sam’s change in putting Dele on allowed us to win the game, with me and Eric controlling it and winning the second balls, getting balls into dangerous areas."

What did you say to Sam?

"He knew had made a mistake. That’s part of being involved at this level. He understood that quite early and unfortunately he doesn’t have the chance to rectify that now."

Can you envisage a time over the next two years where you could accept being part of the squad, rather than a starter?

"I would accept being part of the squad because I love coming here and meeting up with England. Whether I am on the pitch or not, I feel I can help the players. If the manager turned around on Saturday / Tuesday and I was on the bench for two games, look of course I want to play, but I am not going to turn around and say I am not playing for England again. I would turn up, of course, and try to get back into the team. But I think I can benefit the younger players around the squad."

Does the England cap record have an effect on your future, to be the country’s most capped player of all-time?

"Of course it would be nice, I am not saying it would be, but the big one for me was getting the goals record. If it happens, so be it. But I am not staying on just for that record. If I was going to finish playing for England and I was two or three goals away from the record, I would stay on until I got it."

When Louis van Gaal dropped you at Stoke last season, you used that as motivation to get back into the team. Can you do the same this time?

"I played with a bit more freedom when I came back, if you like, not so much to instructions at that time and obviously that worked. Does it gee you up? Of course it does. It’s almost like going to an audition when you get turned down – you want to prove yourself to people. I have no problem being left out. It’s a manager’s job and I understand that, but I will keep working until I get the chance to come back in again."

Those people you speak to after games, are they the same you have always spoken to?

"Yeah, it’s my dad and my agent. They know me as a person and as a player and they’re honest. But after Watford, I didn’t need to be told after that."

Do you feel appreciated after all the things you’ve achieved?

[LONG PAUSE]

"I don’t know. By some people yes, by others, no. That’s football isn’t it? You divide opinions. Listen I am not a player who wants people to say how good he is. That’s not me. As long as people around me, and my manager, are happy, then I’m happy."

God those questions are awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Why do you feel you are better in midfield?

"I feel I can control and dictate games from there. I'm not saying I'm better. I'm saying I can play there to a very high standard. Time will tell."

I still think Rooney has a role to play at the club, but if he truly believes what he has said above, he is smoking too much of the funny stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Irish94 wrote: »
    I still think Rooney has a role to play at the club, but if he truly believes what he has said above, he is smoking too much of the funny stuff.

This is where I stopped reading and was going to reply, who the hell has put that idea in his head?

The notion he can dictate play and control games, that he can play in midfield to a very high standard is lunacy.

Whoever these honest people are that he talks to after games might consider being a bit more honest with him about that for a start.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

But of course there will come a time, if I'm not playing, I might have to be a bit more selfish in terms of where I want to play and making that clear.

Ooohh.

That's a good interview with Rooney and fairly honest. He didn't have to respond with words, on the pitch will be enough, but nice to see him address the criticism and take some responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Quote:
    But of course there will come a time, if I'm not playing, I might have to be a bit more selfish in terms of where I want to play and making that clear.

Like MLS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Awful line of questions, fair play to Rooney for not snapping

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why does he have to give an interview like that?

Enough question marks about him without raising more issues publicly. A lot of that could be said privately. Fighting back against the question marks over his future is fine by talking about age etc but stuff like letting him transition to a new position slipping gives the interview a differant feeling.

Not something you want from the team captain.

Edit: Should say not the type of interview you want the team captain to be forced into giving, that scenario would be difficult for him so be was sure to let something slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Apologies if it's been mentioned, just saw that Ander has finally been called up to the Spain squad. Well done to him, he deserves it completely. He's been in good form lately, good to see it being acknowledged by his national team!!

https://twitter.com/SeFutbol/status/783284789763682304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Apologies if it's been mentioned, just saw that Ander has finally been called up to the Spain squad. Well done to him, he deserves it completely. He's been in good form lately, good to see it being acknowledged by his national team!!

https://twitter.com/SeFutbol/status/783284789763682304

Cookie My dear you're turning into Zerks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

brinty wrote: »
    Cookie My dear you're turning into Zerks.....

:eek: :o whoops, in fairness I qualified it by apologising D'oh! I'm only skimming the thread lately :D

:eek: :o whoops, in fairness I qualified it by apologising D'oh! I'm only skimming the thread lately :D

You're not the only one..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    Awful line of questions, fair play to Rooney for not snapping

I'd personally believe anyone who doesn't believe those questions were all verified and approved by him or his agent as very naive. They are awful questions, but they are the ones Rooney(/his agent) wanted asked so he could get answers out there.

Worries me no end that he's benched for three games, and he's publicly saying he's not being given chances when he has been virtually undroppable for years now. The line about being more "selfish" should be setting off alarm bells too. 3 games on the bench and he's bemoaning a lack of a support structure for him? It's a poor attitude imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

In one sentence he speaks about a lack of trust, when hes sitting down to answer questions he doesn't know about....give over. Prr-determined questions submitted by himself and his agent to look for sympathy.

"not given chances" "I hope he listens" Bull****. I loved everything he's done for the club but in the last 2 years and the media **** storm that continually happens with leak after leak I'd be pushing him out the door.

I'd be telling him under no uncertainty you're leaving next summer, you can go to the states or to China and if you don't you can sit in the reserves and be wrote off like Bastian.

I liked the bit where he said he had a bad game via Watford, If only someone had shown the poor lad his heat maps and passing stats after the game he might have known he ACTUALLY played well. poor lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd personally believe anyone who doesn't believe those questions were all verified and approved by him or his agent as very naive. They are awful questions, but they are the ones Rooney(/his agent) wanted asked so he could get answers out there.

Worries me no end that he's benched for three games, and he's publicly saying he's not being given chances when he has been virtually undroppable for years now. The line about being more "selfish" should be setting off alarm bells too. 3 games on the bench and he's bemoaning a lack of a support structure for him? It's a poor attitude imo.

Telling you, won't be surprised to see him gone in the summer.

The thing with Rooney is he actually has great support with the fans at old Trafford. I do hope he breaks the record soon I don't think anyone would begrudge him that.

The thing with Rooney is he actually has great support with the fans at old Trafford. I do hope he breaks the record soon I don't think anyone would begrudge him that.

Not at all. But he needs to shut up now and focus on his football and getting himself back in form. Not sitting down with tabloids telling his side of the story.

• Advertisement

I liked the bit where he said he had a bad game via Watford, If only someone had shown the poor lad his heat maps and passing stats after the game he might have known he ACTUALLY played well. poor lad

He should add a few more "trusted advisors" from this forum, he'd be on cloud9 after every game no matter what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    Telling you, won't be surprised to see him gone in the summer.

Yeah, think so. I personally think there'll be a big push for Griezzman this summer coming, and Rooney will be moving on to facilitate it.
    Not at all. But he needs to shut up now and focus on his football and getting himself back in form. Not sitting down with tabloids telling his side of the story.

Especially in the knowledge that Jose really can't fire back without giving ammo to his detractors. Imagine if Jose gave a sat down interview and singled Rooney out, saying he wasn't good enough for the first team any more. Jose, as manager and with his history, has to stay shut up about any claims like this :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

He's the bloody England captain, how could he not give an interview after everything that happened the past month ?

There are enough legitimate reason's to have a go at Rooney but the current topic is a bit of a stretch.

beno619 wrote: »
    He's the bloody England captain, how could he not give an interview after everything that happened the past month ?

There are enough legitimate reason's to have a go at Rooney but the current topic is a bit of a stretch.

Who pays his bleeping wages. He got drpped and needs to work his arse of to get back into shape for first team football.

I don't understand why he keeps talking about a deeper position, why can't he concentrate on the position he plays now and getting to a decent level again? It's like propaganda at this stage. Is it self acknowledgement that he can't do it anymore to a good level?

If he wants to play a deeper position he can do it all he likes at LA Galaxy, he's an attacker end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I actually hope he doesn't break the record.
    Great player he may have been and he has the goals to back that, but I have no love for him at all.
    Having the finest player this club has had, one of the all time greats in football, the perfect ambassador for this club and a true gent to boot holding our all time goal scoring record was a source of pride to me.
    Rooney having Sir Bobby's record would grate.
    And as illogical as it sounds, it would actually undervalue the achievement to me, if Rooney gets it.

Who pays his bleeping wages. He got drpped and needs to work his arse of to get back into shape for first team football.

Yes i know he says as much himself !

I dont see why everyone is outraged about the interview though

I don't understand why he keeps talking about a deeper position, why can't he concentrate on the position he plays now and getting to a decent level again? It's like propaganda at this stage. Is it self acknowledgement that he can't do it anymore to a good level?

If he wants to play a deeper position he can do it all he likes at LA Galaxy, he's an attacker end of.

Yeah he bottled it really which is a shame, doesn't have the guts to battle with the young guns and Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    Yeah he bottled it really which is a shame, doesn't have the guts to battle with the young guns and Zlatan.

I do think there is a lot to this. Why isn't he fighting harder to be a striker, why isn't he demanding to play up front so he can score goals and break records?

I think he is delighted to hear pundits talking him up as some sort of midfield maestro because he thinks that would be a far handier role, floating around collecting short, direct passes, making a few tackles, moving at half pace instead of having to constantly jockey with centre backs while making lung busting runs off the ball all day as a lone striker.

He should be demanding the strikers role but in my opinion he hasn't got the desire to fight for it any more, or the will to play the role itself. He'd rather play this handy midfield quarterback role that people said he would be good for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Your making it sound like he missed training or a match to give the interview or something. I don't think he said anything wrong. Hearing that he deserved to be dropped was actually refreshing.

There are many, many valid reasons to moan about Rooney, but giving an interview is not one of them.

If you expect someone who is captain of their club and captain of their country not to have to speak to the media occasionally, then you are in for a lot of disappointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement