Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

As with everything rooney these days this is getting way blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sky88 wrote: »
    As everything with rooney these days this is getting way blown out of proportion.

Rooney doing an interview having been dropped for the last couple of games is a bit too coincidental.Smacks of a serious agenda imo.

Jose said he won't play as a #6 or #8 then Rooney comes out saying he can do a good job in midfield,sorry Wayne,we saw you in midfield and you were rubbish.
    Thinking about Rooney's form,under LVG he could hide his poor performances as the safe brand of football suited him.Pop off a few 5 yard passes followed by a ball out wide,taking a chance to play a percentage ball or taking on a shot were frowned upon.Now we are being more creative and playing with more speed,his deficiencies are being exposed.
    One thing stuck out vs Stoke,near the end their defence parted like the Red Sea in front of him and the Rooney of old would have hit a shot but he reverted to his default of playing the ball wide,that (for the want of a better word) cowardice really pissed me off.He's like a golfer with the yips,choosing to lay up rather than going for the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

beno619 wrote: »
    He's the bloody England captain, how could he not give an interview after everything that happened the past month ?

There are enough legitimate reason's to have a go at Rooney but the current topic is a bit of a stretch.

Talk about England then.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Talk about England then.......
    sky88 wrote: »
    As with everything rooney these days this is getting way blown out of proportion.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rooney is deluded and he's just gone completely against what Mourinhos said about him not been a midfielder he makes it sound as if it's his giving right just to slip into a midfield role and its that simple, You've been tried there your not better than any options we have there his advisors or whoever it is don't help by massaging his ego, This is gonna be bad for the club talk about been selfish is stupid too not so long ago he was crying out to be played as a striker his times up hopefully he's gone in summer thanks for the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wasn't there a Rooney thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Rooney is deluded and he's just gone completely against what Mourinhos said about him not been a midfielder he makes it sound as if it's his giving right just to slip into a midfield role and its that simple, You've been tried there your not better than any options we have there his advisors or whoever it is don't help by massaging his ego, This is gonna be bad for the club talk about been selfish is stupid too not so long ago he was crying out to be played as a striker his times up hopefully he's gone in summer thanks for the memories.

As opposed to Mourinho going against his own word and constantly playing him in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Which in itself is a ridiculous idea and should be deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

hmm good point...though I suppose you could argue that this particular Rooney discussion pertains to United as he has discussed his playing positions etc as opposed to the usual circular arguments about his game performances.

The interview was interesting, initially I thought it was a good interview and he did well to address the questions re his performance etc, but the more I'm reading others opinions here the more the cynic in me is saying it might be something he engineered himself to try and big himself up.

Also the impression I got was that Jose may have dropped him for the foreseeable and he will have to work his way back in, rather than being entitled to stroll back in just because he is club captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wayne Rooney.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Which in itself is a ridiculous idea and should be deleted.

Any single topic that has a thread that generates over 500 posts is probably worthy of being its own thread, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I see depay is considering his United future... IMO he has none. Will be sold within the next 2 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bangkok wrote: »
    I see depay is considering his United future... IMO he has none. Will be sold within the next 2 seasons

I think one of Memphis' biggest problems is that he doesn't have that acceleration that a wing forward needs. Look at Rashford and Martial, they have skills but it's the ability to commit a man, then rinse past him that he is missing.

dont think itll take 2.

i would think he goes on loan in jan then its permanent.

sad as i really thought he would be a superstar but i still think in a few years he will get going an be a great player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm coming to the conclusion that within the next two seasons, you will be able to count the number of players who were at the club pre-Jose on one hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am happy for Herrera, he is so delighted at being called up for the Spanish senior team.
    Hopefully this is his break out year at United too.

That said, I just hope all our players who are away on international duty come back fit and healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He's an indicator of the distance Dutch football has fallen recently. The best player in that league for a few seasons banging in goals, absolutely out of his depth in English football.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

nullzero wrote: »
    He's an indicator of the distance Dutch football has fallen recently. The best player in that league for a few seasons banging in goals, absolutely out of his depth in English football.

Meh, Suarez came out of Dutch football 4 or 5 years ago. Some players just struggle to take the step up, he's clearly talented

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The problem with Memphis is he has shown very brief glances of being really good, but the rest of the time it has been relatively poor.

Depays attitude is the biggest problem IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is mikitayrian staying in Manchester during the internationals?, someone posted about united sending Armenia a letter wanting him to stay as he is still not 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Need to get tactics spot on for the Pool match, we need to start off with the mindset that we'll need at least 2 goals to win because there's no way Liverpool aren't scoring one.

Need to get tactics spot on for the Pool match, we need to start off with the mindset that we'll need at least 2 goals to win because there's no way Liverpool aren't scoring one.

i think we have to go to a 3 in midfield and have carrick or morgan come in with ander and pogba. drop lingard and put mata on the right. i think that should be the route for big games away.

i dont think it'll happen and jose will stick to the two in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I had a look at the match thread on mehcafe there and you've never seen more bedwetting in your life about a game. Some have Liverpool winning 5 and 6 nil.

Jayop wrote: »
    I had a look at the match thread on mehcafe there and you've never seen more bedwetting in your life about a game. Some have Liverpool winning 5 and 6 nil.

I feel that some of the meltdowns over the 1-1 v Stoke were fueled in part by how well Liverpool are doing at the moment, and the fact that the draw left us 3 points adrift of them. Fans who are just looking at the 1-1 result and the fact that we didn't beat Stoke will think Liverpool are going to slaughter us, those of us who watched the performance will know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stankratz wrote: »
    I feel that some of the meltdowns over the 1-1 v Stoke were fueled in part by how well Liverpool are doing at the moment, and the fact that the draw left us 3 points adrift of them. Fans who are just looking at the 1-1 result and the fact that we didn't beat Stoke will think Liverpool are going to slaughter us, those of us who watched the performance will know better.

5 points off with so many question marks and such a bruised collective team psyche after the LVG era, and our last two games we have played very well (despite the result, we could have had a half dozen. I'll take missed chances over a lack of chances any day of the week). For me this season is about re-establishing our mentality, figuring out the squad in general, and most importantly getting in the top four... anything beyond that is a bonus, in terms of the title race. So in that sense, yeah the last two games have been very encouraging. Not perfect, but very encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have read nothing from Memphis that says or implies he is considering his future at Utd.

There are a couple of headlines but that's all they are.

You got any source for your claims Bangkok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

adox wrote: »
    I have read nothing from Memphis that says or implies he is considering his future at Utd.

Direct quotes in an interview he gave to a Dutch newspaper - http://www.metronieuws.nl/xl/sport/2016/10/memphis-is-een-geladen-geweer-bijrol-niks-voor-mij

The relevant bit being (translated using Google Translate) "A supporting role is not for me. I'm not a player who is happy with the fact that he is under contract with Manchester United."

"I am the same person and I know what I want," Depay tiold Dutch newspaper Metro Nieuws. "A supporting role is not for me. I'm not a player who is happy with the fact that he is under contract with Manchester United.

"This is my dream club, but I want to play."

That would imply to me that he is thinking about moving on as he is struggling to make our squad never mind the starting 11

• Advertisement

I've read that quote and it doesn't imply anything to me other than he's not happy not playing.

I'd be more concerned if he said he's fine not getting much football.

He may indeed leave over the next season or two but there's nothing in that interview to intimate that that is his intention, or even considering it.

It didn't take Ander too long to answer the call-up to the Spain squad...

8TXMOnh.png

Translation...
    Ander Herrera may have a sixth sense. The Manchester United midfielder was given time off by Jose Mourinho this week, as his teammates went away on international duty.

Of all the places in all of the world, Basque boy Hererra travelled with his partner and daughter to Madrid for a short break. Marca say that then, at 8pm on Monday evening, Herrera’s telephone rang… and his holiday was soon over.

The call was from the Spanish football federation and Herrera was getting the news he may have secretly been hoping for. Injuries to the original squad meant Julen Lopetegui had to call up replacements, and Herrera was one of the chosen ones.

Marca explain that Herrera, experienced for Spain at youth levels, has always dreamed of the full national team, and that’s underlined by what happened after Herrera received the telephone call.

Just 45 minutes later, Herrera was already at Spain’s training centre, answering Lopetegui’s call with all the enthusiasm Manchester United supporters have grown to love him for.
    His attitude is unreal.

Speaking of strong attitudes and likeable personalities, Evra posted this on Instagram today...

2km8cHd.jpg?1

I've read that quote and it doesn't imply anything to me other than he's not happy not playing.

He may indeed leave over the next season or two but there's nothing in that interview to intimate that that is his intention, or even considering it.

The line, "this is my dream club but I want to play"

The "but" being I will move on if I'm not getting games is the way I read that. Time will tell

stankratz wrote: »
    It didn't take Ander too long to answer the call-up to the Spain squad...

8TXMOnh.png

Translation...

His attitude is unreal.

Yep and a great player that we are finally seeing the best of, if he adds a few more goals to his game he will be class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am happy for Herrera, he is so delighted at being called up for the Spanish senior team.
    Hopefully this is his break out year at United too.

That said, I just hope all our players who are away on international duty come back fit and healthy.

He's a really, really, really, really good midfielder. I've been beyond bemused with how poorly we have used him for his first two years here (which by a number of reports would have been 3, if not for Moyes & Fellaini), so hopefully you're right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yep and a great player that we are finally seeing the best of, if he adds a few more goals to his game he will be class

Im hoping Jose settles on Herrera and Pogba with Carrick/Schneiderlin playing the holding role,we could see the best out of both Herrera and Pogba

Herrera is a leader,be a great captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

The problem is that when he does get an opportunity he usually squanders it , he has shown nothing thus far in his time at United as to why we bought him at all. Many a club has been burnt buying Dutch players in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Im hoping Jose settles on Herrera and Pogba with Carrick/Schneiderlin playing the holding role,we could see the best out of both Herrera and Pogba

Herrera is a leader,be a great captain

He also has a bit of nasty in him too which is no harm at all for a midfielder. A midfield 3 of himself and Pogba with someone playing the deeper role would make the team very compact and difficult to beat.

We might see that midfield 3 lining out against Liverpool. Jose will be very wary of them, and with good reason too.

secman wrote: »
    The problem is that when he does get an opportunity he usually squanders it , he has shown nothing thus far in his time at United as to why we bought him at all. Many a club has been burnt buying Dutch players in recent years.

I don't disagree in the slightest, was just commenting on what I see as misleading information saying that he is "considering his future".

What about a midfield three of Herrera and Pogba with Fosu Menash playing the holding role

Wouldnt mind seeing that been given a go in a few Europa League games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Lads he's 27,not one for the future his time is now. If he doesn't elevate this year he never will (I personally don't think he will)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lads he's 27,not one for the future his time is now. If he doesn't elevate this year he never will (I personally don't think he will)

Memphis?

He is 22.

:confused:

Memphis?

He is 22.

:confused:

Herrera id say he is on about

He was class in Spain, van gaals style didn't suit him yet he still scored 8 goals in debut season. He is in for a big season this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

"I am the same person and I know what I want," Depay tiold Dutch newspaper Metro Nieuws. "A supporting role is not for me. I'm not a player who is happy with the fact that he is under contract with Manchester United.

"This is my dream club, but I want to play."

That would imply to me that he is thinking about moving on as he is struggling to make our squad never mind the starting 11

And the rest of the quotes you typically left out to suit yourself
    Depay went on to state that he is ready to jump at any chance he gets, and is happy that his boss still shows faith in him.

“Mourinho has expressed his confidence in me. Personally, but also in the press.

“I feel like a loaded gun but I have to wait for my chance in the first team. I am at my dream club and I want to fight for my place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

secman wrote: »

What opportunity has he gotten exactly?

A few minutes here and there. Or coming into a team in poor form and low on confidence, hardly amazing for a flair player.

Can't believe how badly Van Gaal managed him. Properly shocked.

And there is as many success stories from Holland as there are failures, you know we have a pretty good player in our squad that came from a little known club called Ajax....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm coming to the conclusion that within the next two seasons, you will be able to count the number of players who were at the club pre-Jose on one hand...

Big Dave
    Mike
    Juan
    Ander
    Flash
    Tony M
    Shaw

All be safe enough I'm thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

TheDoc wrote: »
    What opportunity has he gotten exactly?

A few minutes here and there. Or coming into a team in poor form and low on confidence, hardly amazing for a flair player.

Can't believe how badly Van Gaal managed him. Properly shocked.

And there is as many success stories from Holland as there are failures, you know we have a pretty good player in our squad that came from a little known club called Ajax....

Herrera for example, when he got chances he is totally grabbing it with all he has, making it difficult to be left out of the team. His attitude is just superb, I just wish that Memphis would show the same attitude, how else is he going to be a success at OT.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And the rest of the quotes you typically left out to suit yourself

The article I took the quotes from didn't have that bit you added.

It was from the independent where I read it, you can't check it yourself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Big Dave
    Mike
    Juan
    Ander
    Flash
    Tony M
    Shaw

All be safe enough I'm thinking

DDG, Rashford as first teamsters.

Hopefully Shaw, Martial and Herrera, though I have worries about the first two given the last few weeks. But yeah.

Could see Smalling and Mata be squad players in years to come, and not sure if they will take to that long term.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement