Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ah go away

You can't seriously defend Memphis when he has done nothing in the league and run down the signing of a proven performer in the league.

United needed a versatile wide player when they bought Young and he was a solid signing at worst. Had some potential to do more than he did but injuries played a part.

You need solid signings as well as ones with huge potential, mainly because the ones with potential often end up like Memphis has so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Yea nor I. It's also hard to do anything of worth with 10 minutes of game time very 2nd or 3rd game

We do have players that make a difference even when they come on in cameo appearances , Herrera, Rashford.

What exactly do you propose, that Memphis is given a run of what 5, 6 or 10 games and no substitutions to see if it works out ?
    Look it's up to him to show in training and especially when he gets on to prove his worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

secman wrote: »
    We do have players that make a difference even when they come on in cameo appearances , Herrera, Rashford.

What exactly do you propose, that Memphis is given a run of what 5, 6 or 10 games and no substitutions to see if it works out ?
    Look it's up to him to show in training and especially when he gets on to prove his worth.

No. Not at all. I'd expect him to get game time in the lower end tournaments such as europa league and league cups.

Prove himself there and get a shot at the first 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Billy86 wrote: »
    Valencia - OK squad player, not worth the money.

In fairness to Valencia, he had a great season and a bit when he absolutely was worth the money imo. Sadly he has not managed to replicate that period since, but still a decent option and seems to be a very good personality to have around the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The problem I have with Memphis is that he often gets the fundamnetals wrong when he gets on for 15 mins. At the very least, you need to be hitting your mark with your passes, fulfilling your defensive duties, delivering crosses that get into the box and showing up in decent areas whilst maintaining a decent first touch.

No matter what way you want to look at it, he hasn't been doing that enough and for somebody who clearly thrives on confidence, it feeds into everything he does. I'm completely objective about Memphis, I was so excited when he signed for us, but he just isn't showing enough even in those low expectation 15 minute cameos he's getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Pro. F wrote: »
    I have never seen anything like what you are talking about from him.

You should watch some of the games so.

Gets so much support for someone so ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    You should watch some of the games so.

Gets so much support for someone so ****.
    Are you judging all of our players off of last season, too?

Not saying he's going to be great or even good, but to make your mind up on anyone based solely on last season is a bit of a farce all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ejaria playing against Germany at 7 PM in Huddersfield U20 Four Nations tournie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuLqwxCXYAAlMq_.jpg:large

Trent Alexander Arnold scored twice against Croatia (I think) U19s earlier.

We don't care.

Ejaria playing against Germany at 7 PM in Huddersfield U20 Four Nations tournie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuLqwxCXYAAlMq_.jpg:large

Trent Alexander Arnold scored twice against Croatia (I think) U19s earlier.

Think you're having a senior moment here Harry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Think you're having a senior moment here Harry :pac:

:o Very! Post deleted...../goes for a lie down

• Advertisement

Are you judging all of our players off of last season, too?

Not saying he's going to be great or even good, but to make your mind up on anyone based solely on last season is a bit of a farce all things considered.

No. I'm judging him on this season as well. Obviously if he gets 10 full games in a row, he may show something good. So would most professional footballers if the got enough time on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God Pogba has such great technic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Watching the France game, and taking in the EPL games so far, it seems to me that Pogba might be a bit lazy.

Great technique, no doubt about that, and its partly down to his languid style but he does seem to wait for the game to come to him rather than go it to.

Fine in an all conquering Juve team which is primarily on the front foot with plenty of time but its different in the EPL.

I have no doubt that he will adapt, btw, just my thinking on him presently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Valencia - OK squad player, not worth the money.

Valencia has been a fantastic squad player. Well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Watching the France game, and taking in the EPL games so far, it seems to me that Pogba might be a bit lazy.

Great technique, no doubt about that, and its partly down to his languid style but he does seem to wait for the game to come to him rather than go it to.

Fine in an all conquering Juve team which is primarily on the front foot with plenty of time but its different in the EPL.

Pogba lazy??? He is the only united player to run over 10k in each game this season

Valencia has been a fantastic squad player. Well worth the money.

His first season as someone else mentioned was very good. Outside of that he has ranged from decent to average to awful. Considering that 'fantastic' is a sign of how far standards have dipped - he has 16 assists and 5 goals over the last 4 full seasons, Young has 17 assists and 10 goals.

They have 33 assists and 15 goals over 8 combined seasons (260 games) between them since 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bangkok wrote: »

Pogba lazy??? He is the only united player to run over 10k in each game this season

But how is he running? He seems to just move around with the game, not busting a gut to create space for a pass, pull the defenders away, chase back.

You don't see if demanding the ball, creating the rhythm, being the catalyst

Lazy is probably the wrong word, but if I was put on the MU i would probably end up with high distance stats but achieve nothing as I would simply be bypassed by the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

His first season as someone else mentioned was very good. Outside of that he has ranged from decent to average to awful. Considering that 'fantastic' is a sign of how far standards have dipped - he has 16 assists and 5 goals over the last 4 full seasons, Young has 17 assists and 10 goals.

They have 33 assists and 15 goals over 8 combined seasons (260 games) between them since 2012.

Valencia had 3 high quality seasons at United.

He obviously was a more old fashioned winger and more than paid back the £17m he cost us.

beno619 wrote: »
    Valencia had 3 high quality seasons at United.

He obviously was a more old fashioned winger and more than paid back the £17m he cost us.
    2011/12

Which others?

2011/12

Which others?

He was class in 09/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

But how is he running? He seems to just move around with the game, not busting a gut to create space for a pass, pull the defenders away, chase back.

You don't see if demanding the ball, creating the rhythm, being the catalyst

Lazy is probably the wrong word, but if I was put on the MU i would probably end up with high distance stats but achieve nothing as I would simply be bypassed by the game.

With his legs I hope :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never loved Valencia preferred Nani.

But anyone to say a squad player is disgusting.

Borderng on world class for two years and came back never the same but a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I never loved Valencia preferred Nani.

But anyone to say a squad player is disgusting.

Borderng on world class for two years and came back never the same but a legend.

He did come back and had another excellent season before regressing for no apparent reason.

He was class in 09/10
    He was good in 09/10, wouldn't say top class - 7 goals, 11 assists, very good work rate but not very creative or incisive. 2011/12 he was class. And otherwise, ordinary to awful depending on the season.

I don't mind him and like Young he does seem a good professional and a good fit for a squaddie in terms of how being spoiled etc. But I think we could have done considerably better for the same price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

secman wrote: »

Thats what everybody said about Nani as well. And Hernandez. Seems we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Though I suppose its worth noting that Martial and Rooney were dire for a long time but they got a run of 10 games no bother at all, so who knows.

As with Nani, some players do actually need a run of games to find their confidence and rhythm, its not such a wacky idea to wonder if Depay is one who would benefit from a bit of trust in that regard.

What we do know is that he has had a grand total of 39 minutes of first team action so far this season. 39 whole minutes, spread over 4 games. Fact is we don't know what Depay could do for us if given a chance, because he hasn't been given anything even close to a chance yet.
    Young has 17 assists and 10 goals.

Cite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rooney facing a £3.5 million bill over investments to avoid tax.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/784511373657174016

Was there a list recently of lots of footballers who used this scheme,if so then he isn't the only one who can expect a call from UK Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He was good in 09/10, wouldn't say top class - 7 goals, 11 assists, very good work rate but not very creative or incisive. 2011/12 he was class. And otherwise, ordinary to awful depending on the season.

I don't mind him and like Young he does seem a good professional and a good fit for a squaddie in terms of how being spoiled etc. But I think we could have done considerably better for the same price range.

Valencia was class in 2009-10, he was even selected in PFA team of the year. There is more to the game than just goals and assists. Valencia is excellent ball carrier, be relives pressure on team by attacking opponents and carrying the ball so easily.

Carrick on Valenica.
    "Antonio is a pure athlete," the midfielder told Inside United. "He is immense. It is the work he does that doesn't get noticed, things like carrying the ball up the pitch for 30 or 40 yards when you have been defending.

"He takes you up the pitch and defenders just back up because they know about his pace. If he can go down the line, then he is pretty hard to catch. He is a great team player and, when you are playing with him, you certainly appreciate that he is on your team."

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Valencia was class in 2009-10, he was even selected in PFA team of the year. There is more to the game than just goals and assists. Valencia is excellent ball carrier, be relives pressure on team by attacking opponents and carrying the ball so easily.

Carrick on Valenica.

I also remember reading a quote from Herrera saying Valencia is great because he always makes himself available and gives his team mates an option. Perhaps something basic you would expect of all players, but you'd be surprised sometimes.

Edit: Here's the article/quote (the headline is perhaps a little OTT :D)

Judging by the comments from Carrick, Herrera etc. he seems to be a popular and respected guy too, and a positive influence on the team. All that kinda stuff adds up to greater than the sum of its parts.

I would class Val as a good player, who at times can show flashes of being very good, good strength and pace and fitness levels to keep going for the full 90, always puts in 100%, a model pro who's a real team player and also a guy who genuinely seems to love playing for the club (see preseason captain's armband beaming smile :D)

3935DDC300000578-3828323-Zlatan_Ibrahimovic-a-38_1475921134111.jpg

'There is no free time, only hard work and objectives'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rooney and lingard start for England

Smalling and rashford on bench. How these two are on bench is a shocking decision

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

sky88 wrote: »
    Rooney and lingard start for England

Smalling and rashford on bench. How these two are on bench is a shocking decision

Rooney must be picking the team :confused:

sky88 wrote: »

On the plus side, less chance of them picking up an injury hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Good article in MEN about Utd fans hating the England team.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-news-england-liverpool-11987968

I can't understand how any Utd fan who isn't English would want any of our players anywhere near that ABU disaster zone.

Playing for England only ****s up Utd players. Nothing good comes from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Korat wrote: »
    Good article in MEN about Utd fans hating the England team.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-news-england-liverpool-11987968

I can't understand how any Utd fan who isn't English would want any of our players anywhere near that ABU disaster zone.

Playing for England only ****s up Utd players. Nothing good comes from it.

I remember the first time I went over many years ago we were meeting up with friends of friends in the quadrant bar and talking football I couldn't believe how much the Manchester people actually hated the English team was totally surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This game would be ideal for Rashford to fill his boots.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    3935DDC300000578-3828323-Zlatan_Ibrahimovic-a-38_1475921134111.jpg

'There is no free time, only hard work and objectives'

"...and when the Etihad is...ashes....then you have my permission to rest."

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jayo26 wrote: »
    I remember the first time I went over many years ago we were meeting up with friends of friends in the quadrant bar and talking football I couldn't believe how much the Manchester people actually hated the English team was totally surprised.

Lots of the Northern clubs are like that. It is the same in Liverpool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So great to see a young United player who's come through the Academy now playing in the first 11 for the National Team!!

Very happy for Lingard :)

So great to see a young United player who's come through the Academy now playing in the first 11 for the National Team!!

Very happy for Lingard :)

Haha. Weren't you having a 'lol' at Danny Welbeck only months ago after he picked up a knee injury that would see him miss nine months of football including the Euros?

Your above sentiment is non-existent, extremely hollow at best, as it only applies once Jesse is at the club. You couldn't give an actual fúck about him outside of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's nearly as bad as watching a LVG man utd team. England are awful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

5starpool wrote: »
    Lots of the Northern clubs are like that. It is the same in Liverpool too.

Liverpool just hate everyone else ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Headshot wrote: »
    It's nearly as bad as watching a LVG man utd team. England are awful

Rooney and Henderson as their midfield so its not terribly surprising.

Rooney and Henderson as their midfield so its not terribly surprising.

Have a treble on Scotland vs Lithuania, Ireland vs Moldova & England vs Slovenia, all outrights. For anyone interested it works out at about 5.2/2 odds... not feeling too confident about England anymore though. :o

Had it in a stupid 8 team accumulator (€6, just for larfs) with Ireland, Croatia, Serbia, Belgium Norway and Montenegro, England & Scotland (but no Ireland/Moldova, missed that one) - and thank christ I cashed out after the Belgium game yesterday for about a 7/2 return. Azerbaijan beat Norway! Mind you I didn't put Montenegro back in and they won 5-0. :o

Look it up though, Kazakhstan & Azerbaijan have a very surprising number of draws for such lower tier teams, in recent campaigns.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Liverpool just hate everyone else ;)

Liverpool-banner-liverpool-fc-10659951-320-214.jpg

stankratz wrote: »
    Haha. Weren't you having a 'lol' at Danny Welbeck only months ago after he picked up a knee injury that would see him miss nine months of football including the Euros?

Your above sentiment is non-existent, extremely hollow at best, as it only applies once Jesse is at the club. You couldn't give an actual fúck about him outside of United.

Eh what?? You're having a go at me because I'm commending one of our own for reaching new heights and achievements?

That Danny Welbeck comment was immature and senseless and I admitted that but I don't see what that has anything to do with my post now. Digging up dirt on someone is just childish man!

Don't know why you're being so aggressive towards me. Clearly someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :rolleyes:

Eh what?? You're having a go at me because I'm commending one of our own for reaching new heights and achievements?

That Danny Welbeck comment was immature and senseless and I admitted that but I don't see what that has anything to do with my post now. Digging up dirt on someone is just childish man!

Don't know why you're being so aggressive towards me. Clearly someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :rolleyes:

I'm not having a go for commending one of our own, I was questioning the sentiment behind it based on another recent enough comment which came to mind upon reading your post. I missed you admitting the fault in that comment at the time and it's good to hear that you did. They are both young English players and products of the Academy, to be having a laugh at the misfortune of one while being very happy for the progress of another threw me a bit, and I pointed out why.

Also...Fúck me, I'm not the internet police and really shouldn't be taking the moral high-ground. It's just that laughing at any player getting an injury, never mind one who loved playing for United at one stage, is something that stays in my mind. Had I saw you account for it and you have, it would have negated the original immature comment in my mind. Apologies for coming across aggressive, and maybe I did get out of the wrong side of the bed, it happens.

stankratz wrote: »
    I'm not having a go for commending one of our own, I was questioning the sentiment behind it based on another recent enough comment which came to mind upon reading your post. I missed you admitting the fault in that comment at the time and it's good to hear that you did. They are both young English players and products of the Academy, to be having a laugh at the misfortune of one while being very happy for the progress of another threw me a bit, and I pointed out why.

Also...Fúck me, I'm not the internet police and really shouldn't be taking the moral high-ground. It's just that laughing at any player getting an injury, never mind one who loved playing for United at one stage, is something that stays in my mind. Had I saw you account for it and you have, it would have negated the original immature comment in my mind. Apologies for coming across aggressive, and maybe I did get out of the wrong side of the bed, it happens.

It's all good brother. Happens to everyone. :)

These international breaks are honestly dreadful and i'm sure they bore the hell out of millions especially with the dismal performances of both Ireland and England. Buzzing for our next couple of fixtures however it could be a nightmare for Jose depending on how things play out.

Hate the international break...and we don't play until Monday either 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hate the international break...and we don't play until Monday either 😮

And we'll probably lose when we do.

And we'll probably lose when we do.

We better win or else! None of this one point ****.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement