Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

And we'll probably lose when we do.

Pool are on a great run playing some great stuff,but they are beatable,

They will come out all guns blazing but they will give up chances at the back

A 2-1 win would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'd take a draw to be honest. Don't lose and we can take some confidence from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Liverpool are playing some great football at the moment but they still struggle to break down the teams that sit deep and stay compact.

If Jose plays one of Carrick/Schneiderlin as the deep lying midfielder with Herrera and Pogba ahead of them along with pace on the wings from Rashford/Martial/Lingard and Ibra up front if say we could get a result.

IMO Jose needs to treat this game in particular very carefully. A bad loss to that lot could be extremely painful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Quandary wrote: »
    Liverpool are playing some great football at the moment but they still struggle to break down the teams that sit deep and stay compact.

If Jose plays one of Carrick/Schneiderlin as the deep lying midfielder with Herrera and Pogba ahead of them along with pace on the wings from Rashford/Martial/Lingard and Ibra up front if say we could get a result.

IMO Jose needs to treat this game in particular very carefully. A bad loss to that lot could be extremely painful.

It's not just a bad loss to this team. We are facing a nightmarish ten days and results could get nasty. I worry this could be the most defining two weeks of our season....not just in terms of results but attitudes and reactions to results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It's not just a bad loss to this team. We are facing a nightmarish ten days and results could get nasty. I worry this could be the most defining two weeks of our season....not just in terms of results but attitudes and reactions to results.

It also could be the making of this team...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just seen a pic of Steve Bruce on sky earlier, he looks like he lost a good deal of weight which is great to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hococop wrote: »
    Just seen a pic of Steve Bruce on sky earlier, he looks like he lost a good deal of weight which is great to see

I met him last week in Dublin, out on the beer with Niall Quinn and Nicky English!!

It's all good brother. Happens to everyone. :)

These international breaks are honestly dreadful and i'm sure they bore the hell out of millions especially with the dismal performances of both Ireland and England. Buzzing for our next couple of fixtures however it could be a nightmare for Jose depending on how things play out.

I don't mind international football when it's on, but the break from the leagues does wear on me. I missed the Ireland/Georgia match because of work, I believe that it was atrocious though. Disappointing, since the Irish lads gave a decent account of themselves at the Euros. However, if I was English and therefore a fan of the English team, my head would be well and truly wrecked long by now. With the players that have gone through that team in the last 15 years alone, they should have been doing much better at times.

As for United's upcoming fixtures, like you I can't wait, but there will be nerves of course. The team is starting to play well and show some real danger in attack, at long last, but there's still lots of work to be done. Anfield Monday week, I'm not going to look beyond that for now. Liverpool are going to come out like starving hounds sprung from a trap. Hope to fúck we don't deal with it in a similar way to how we did in that first half against City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeap. Its why I'm both nervous and excited about the 10 day window.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

Very true lads, the team could be riding high on a wave in two weeks time or tied to a wrecking ball at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

Of course, it could fall in the middle, we could pick up a couple of draws in the league against Pool and Chelsea and a draw and a win in the competitions against Fenerbache and City. Would I take that run of results if offered them now? Hard to know, because I do feel this team are actually progressing towards a place where they'll be capable of winning these matches. Unfortunately though, we're not there yet while City and Liverpool are much closer. No matter how many goals Liverpool are scoring lately, I still see it as being a very close game at Anfield.
    Hococop wrote: »

Fair play to him, happy for the man. Not only does he look better and younger, he most importantly did his health and lifespan a favour. Can't help but feel though that taking the Villa job will be regressive to that progress. Some difference though...

Zp8lzSZ.jpg?1

y8IhqTw.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

enviro wrote: »

21/22

First Ronaldo question got me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

18/22

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

22/22 :D

24/22

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I hope people can see past the 10 days and know its not make or break, the cup in only looking a big game because its city. If United lost to someone else, lets say Swansea we would get over it quickly.

Livepool and Chelsea are the important games, hopefully Fenerbache is treated unimportant and let the city game matter based on how the players come through the previous week and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I can't figure out how to do the quiz :( Brain is no longer working I assume but I see no actual start to the quiz at all

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can't figure out how to do the quiz :( Brain is no longer working I assume but I see no actual start to the quiz at all

That's q1. You lose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

doesn't work for me either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There won't be any surprises next Monday, we know how they will play, Klopp is very one dimensional in that regard, which would make it all the worse losing.

City's press killed us, mainly because we were constantly passing it to the people they were targeting, I think Jose called it the first station after the game which would be Fellaini, the full backs. Breaking the press is very simple on paper but obviously a lot harder in practice, if Liverpool have two or three men hunting down one player then that leaves 2 free elsewhere and that's where the ball needs to be heading. We can win this game 100% if the tactics and players are on song, if not we'll probably get a bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Rooney dropped for Slovenia match apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

crkball6 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/785444078800498688

SSN..Rooney on the bench for Slovenia game.

Rooney should quit England now,it might help his club career like it did with Scholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Griezmann speaks about being close friends with Pogba.

Griezmann: “We get on very well. It is true that Euros has brought us closer together still. Paul is a really nice guy. He is it!” he said to ​L’Equipe. “We send messages, Snapchats. He’s really a good friend…When he plays with his club, I try to look at it to see if he had a good game or not.”

United according to MEN are said to be confident of Griezmann moving to United next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

crkball6 wrote: »

Are all the other players who will be rotated going to get the same verbiage used? 2 games against Malta and Slovenia under a new manager, he's going to use a lot of different players.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Liam O wrote: »
    Are all the other players who will be rotated going to get the same verbiage used? 2 games against Malta and Slovenia under a new manager, he's going to use a lot of different players.

Course not, dropping sturridge doesn't sell any papers

I didn't see the England game but from what I heard he played ok and the booing was uncalled for. Maybe Gay is showing that he can be "ruthless" to get the fans/media on his side or maybe he's genuinely freshening up the team. Whatever it is, sky sports/daily mail/sun et al will make the most out of it.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    Griezmann speaks about being close friends with Pogba.

Griezmann: “We get on very well. It is true that Euros has brought us closer together still. Paul is a really nice guy. He is it!” he said to ​L’Equipe. “We send messages, Snapchats. He’s really a good friend…When he plays with his club, I try to look at it to see if he had a good game or not.”

United according to MEN are said to be confident of Griezmann moving to United next summer.

Let it be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Coleen not getting much sympathy on twitter for sticking up for Wayne.

https://twitter.com/ColeenRoo/status/785463296921141248

Terry Butcher gave him a rating of 7/10 despite saying he stayed too deep and coasted through the game.The moment he was nutmegged by a Malta player and stood there looking utterly bemused pretty much summed up his performances lately.
    He hasn't the legs to play up front and somehow feels playing in midfield will suit him better,maybe in MLS but not in International football or the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Let it be true

He is the right profile of player for us. Not at a huge club (I know they're better on the field than us right now but you get the point) and not on our level of wages already so a similar fee to the Pogba one would do it. Depends if that's the route we're going each summer transfer wise but i suspect it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Griezmann is a huge United fan aswell which is an added bonus for trying to get him.

Just on Rooney's decline, does anybody remember Ryan Giggs in his late twenties? Very much in a slump and was being outshone by the other Class of 92 guys. He turned it around and became an integral part of the team again. The main difference between Giggs and Rooney though is how they appear to look after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just on Rooney's decline, does anybody remember Ryan Giggs in his late twenties? Very much in a slump and was being outshone by the other Class of 92 guys. He turned it around and became an integral part of the team again. The main difference between Giggs and Rooney though is how they appear to look after themselves.

Rooney's actually very slight looking at the moment. Probably explains why he's being thrown off the ball so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Em, he is the England Captain and one of the best paid players in the EPL, he is also Englands record goal scorer.

For a new manager to come in and drop him to the bench is pretty massive. It is not rotation, this is one of the bigger games in a very week group, but why play him against Malta if rotation is an issue.

Being outshone by Henderson (according to some reports) is not a good thing!

Rooney really needs to get thinking like Giggs. He is no longer numbero uno, but he can still be an important part of both MU and England if he plays his cards right.

Forget about midfield, its is only hurting the legacy. Either focus on the CF position of retire (from England).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nielsen was at Ireland game last night. Might be some truth in United rumours for Coleman, I doubt he was looking at anyone else anyway.

• Nielsen was at Ireland game last night. Might be some truth in United rumours for Coleman, I doubt he was looking at anyone else anyway.

Defiantly A Jose style RB

Here's the "story" (Pinch of salt)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/seamus-coleman-linked-with-a-megamoney-january-transfer-to-manchester-united-35115390.html

Would be about 4 years too late for Coleman imo although I would love to see him in a United shirt.

• Jayop wrote: »
    Would be about 4 years too late for Coleman imo although I would love to see him in a United shirt.

He's only 27!!
    In his prime now

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's only 27!!
    In his prime now

Yeah like I said I'd love to see him at United, but I just don't see us paying everton top dollar for him at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement

I don't think Coleman has proven himself tbh. Good option for Everyone but hasn't lot the league up in the last couple of years. Would love to have an Irishman back and he has a good head on his shoulders, but I'm not a huge fan tbh

I don't think Coleman has proven himself tbh. Good option for Everyone but hasn't lot the league up in the last couple of years. Would love to have an Irishman back and he has a good head on his shoulders, but I'm not a huge fan tbh

He's a class act and by a mile the best Irish player at the moment. He's spent two seasons playing for Everton under one of the worst defensive organisers in the history of the league, he looked average in thos two seasons, but when playing in a well drilled defense he looked amazing going forward and defending.

Pat Nevin really articulates the problems that baines and Coleman had under Martinez. They were unable to do their best attacking work simply because there was no structure for them to do it on, they were getting caught out of position because there was no cover, so the two of them end up playing within themselves because they don't want to look like mugs.

Jayop wrote: »
    He's a class act and by a mile the best Irish player at the moment. He's spent two seasons playing for Everton under one of the worst defensive organisers in the history of the league, he looked average in thos two seasons, but when playing in a well drilled defense he looked amazing going forward and defending.

Pat Nevin really articulates the problems that baines and Coleman had under Martinez. They were unable to do their best attacking work simply because there was no structure for them to do it on, they were getting caught out of position because there was no cover, so the two of them end up playing within themselves because they don't want to look like mugs.

Yep, point taken and I'd revisit at the end of this season if he is playing well under Koeman who is a better defensive operator.

Wasnt there a bit of handbags between Coleman and Mourinho at the Rooney Testimonial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nielsen was at Ireland game last night. Might be some truth in United rumours for Coleman, I doubt he was looking at anyone else anyway.

He was described over the weekend, as the "Irish Cafu". And it was a descriptor like " Seamus Coleman, frequently labelled the Irish Cafu".

Didn't seem to be said in jest and was serious.

I don't know how I'd feel about Coleman as a signing. I might be missing something as I don't watch him for Everton, but for Ireland can't really judge him against the ****e we face more often then not. Does get roasted every now and again.

Unsure thats any real upgrade on Valencia or Darmian, but I'll probably divert to those who watch him for Everton more. But feels and sounds very underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

TheDoc wrote: »
    He was described over the weekend, as the "Irish Cafu". And it was a descriptor like " Seamus Coleman, frequently labelled the Irish Cafu".

Didn't seem to be said in jest and was serious.

I don't know how I'd feel about Coleman as a signing. I might be missing something as I don't watch him for Everton, but for Ireland can't really judge him against the ****e we face more often then not. Does get roasted every now and again.

Unsure thats any real upgrade on Valencia or Darmian, but I'll probably divert to those who watch him for Everton more. But feels and sounds very underwhelming.

i dont think hed be that much of an upgrade. i feel hes stagnated at everton under martnez. Havent seen much of him this season but i wouldnt be sure hed improve the team too much. His final ball can be quite poor excluding the last couple of ireland matches.

Think we have a right back who is as good as him in darmian and valencia does a fine job every time he plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

wow I got 4 wrong in that quiz! The Mourinho comment, Alan Smith scoring less than Forlan, Wayne Rooneys comments re Keane and for some reason I picked Howard over Barthez.

Whoops!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Kinda feel sorry for Rooney. Money asside it has to be hard on him having to accept at 30 his career is at a major crossroads and it's not looking good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wish I was in Manchester tomorrow afternoon! :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLYr3TOAksR/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Wish I was in Manchester tomorrow afternoon! :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLYr3TOAksR/

He'd remind you of Best a bit in that photo!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement