Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

jayo26 wrote: »
    Kinda feel sorry for Rooney. Money asside it has to be hard on him having to accept at 30 his career is at a major crossroads and it's not looking good for him.

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

France Holland on ITV4 in case some yee didn't know. Daley and Pogba starting, Memphis on the bench. Strootman also starting which is nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

France Holland on ITV4 in case some yee didn't know. Daley and Pogba starting, Memphis on the bench. Strootman also starting which is nice to see.

Memphis got on early anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kinda feel sorry for Rooney. Money asside it has to be hard on him having to accept at 30 his career is at a major crossroads and it's not looking good for him.

I feel most footballers probably have that issue to deal with.

But the majority won't have ever reached a level of success, both in terms of trophies and financially, as Rooney has. There are dozens of aging footballers playing round England who realise they have to move to lesser clubs to keep getting regular game time as younger, fitter, better players pass them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fuk pogba what a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fuk pogba what a goal.

**** i missed it

vid guys?

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Fuk pogba what a goal.

Link or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wish I was in Manchester tomorrow afternoon! :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLYr3TOAksR/

This forum needs a beat-off emoji.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Fuk pogba what a goal.

Cracking finish
    Headshot wrote: »
    **** i missed it

vid guys?
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Link or gtfo

https://my.mixtape.moe/mehcck.mp4

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel most footballers probably have that issue to deal with.

But the majority won't have ever reached a level of success, both in terms of trophies and financially, as Rooney has. There are dozens of aging footballers playing round England who realise they have to move to lesser clubs to keep getting regular game time as younger, fitter, better players pass them.

Yeh they sure are but they won't have achieved what rooney has either and get as little respect for it. Whatever his level has dropped too he did not deserve to get booed.

A portion of the blame of course has to go down to him one quality he don't have is the ability to bow out gracefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Keeper was terrible in fairness.

• Amount of power he generated with that shot
    Take someone's head off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Although it would be nice to see an Irish player back in Utd squad I think Coleman would be an overpriced underwhelming signing.He is prone to being caught out of position while defending.Undoubtedly he offers a lot going forward but if we are to be challenging seriously in Europe in the next few years he is not a signing to fulfill that role imo.

Keeper was terrible in fairness.

It was struck so hard he never stood a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Jose's anti youth player agenda continues unabated eh.

I'm just waiting for him to beat up a palative care nurse.

Surely its only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

wijnaldum won't be playing against us next week anyway by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Any keeper who doesn't have spaghetti wrists saves that, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »
    wijnaldum won't be playing against us next week anyway by the looks of it

Bad injury?

Hococop wrote: »
    Bad injury?

Na looks like hamstring, will be 2 weeks anyway I would imagine

• Advertisement

Depay has been awful.

The guy is so one dimensional. Always goes inside, always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Depay has been awful.

Is he playing on the left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Liam O wrote: »
    Are all the other players who will be rotated going to get the same verbiage used? 2 games against Malta and Slovenia under a new manager, he's going to use a lot of different players.

It is telling that he was played against Malta and dropped against Slovenia though, if it was just rotation rather than a dropping.

That said, if there were ever a time for this to happen to him it would be now (in terms of his own interests) - Southgate is fecking useless and Rooney or otherwise, I wouldn't be that surprised at all to see them fail to win tomorrow.

Depay has been awful.

Awful. That free kick near the end sums him up. All the defenders in the box waiting for a cross and he shoots from an impossible angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looks like Pogba has been getting strength lessons from Ibra... Jaysus the power in that shot

Pogba had another decent game some nice passes also he has a week now to get ready for our next game.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Is he playing on the left?

edit there, stupid me I ment left

Playing on the left alright

astradave wrote: »
    Looks like Pogba has been getting strength lessons from Ibra... Jaysus the power in that shot

He has had that power for the last few seasons, hence the world transfer record.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

edit there, stupid me I ment left

Playing on the left alright

Makes more sense on the left when you said he's always cutting in. I have long said I think he'd be better on the right as a more conventional winger swinging in crosses with his right boot. Makes little sense playing him on the left all the time.

Jayop wrote: »
    Makes more sense on the left when you said he's always cutting in. I have long said I think he'd be better on the right as a more conventional winger swinging in crosses with his right boot. Makes little sense playing him on the left all the time.

But that's how he made his name with PSV. I don't think he's capable of putting in those crosses either. Ideally I want him on the left but fecking mix it up a bit

Poor guy has no confidence at the moment 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Poor guy has no confidence at the moment

Yet he keeps getting game time and continually doesn't produce.

If we had got him on a free or from the youths he would be gone by now. His price tag is all that is keeping him anywhere near a 1st team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Leroy42 wrote: »

If we had got him on a free or from the youths he would be gone by now. His price tag is all that is keeping him anywhere near a 1st team.

He needs to lose about a stone and then make one sensible football decision on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I really dont see how at this stage hes ever going to work in fitting in with the team the same could be said for Morgan as well.

What he needs is a run of games its the only way to see weather hes up to it because fifteen minutes here and there is not worth a ****e.

The thing is if he plays and does nothing and continues to make bad choices constantly its going to affect the team and more then likely results so you would wonder if that's the reason hes been held back if so why even keep him?
    Why not loan him out or just sell him. Again ill mention Morgan the same could be said why not just give him a run of a few games in the team and see how he performs over a period of time.

If its a confidence thing for either of them very late sub appearances in games will only make that worse because by the time they get up to speed with the game its over!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Leroy42 wrote: »

What game time are you referring to ?

I really dont see how at this stage hes ever going to work in fitting in with the team the same could be said for Morgan as well.

What he needs is a run of games its the only way to see weather hes up to it because fifteen minutes here and there is not worth a ****e.

The thing is if he plays and does nothing and continues to make bad choices constantly its going to affect the team and more then likely results so you would wonder if that's the reason hes been held back if so why even keep him?
    Why not loan him out or just sell him. Again ill mention Morgan the same could be said why not just give him a run of a few games in the team and see how he performs over a period of time.

If its a confidence thing for either of them very late sub appearances in games will only make that worse because by the time they get up to speed with the game its over!.

Schneiderlan situation so infuriating, along with Memphis. One of the best DM's in the league for two seasons we sign and Van Gaal makes a ****ing mess off, and wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan leave in January. Just not getting chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just not getting chances.

5 minutes of PL action this season. For the umpteenth time in recent seasons we have a good player coming to the club and going completely to waste, its rather infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Schneiderlan situation so infuriating, along with Memphis. One of the best DM's in the league for two seasons we sign and Van Gaal makes a ****ing mess off, and wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan leave in January. Just not getting chances.

I like Morgan, but I think most United players misjudged his game at Southampton.

He's not really a DM more box to box. We'll eventually pick up injuries and he'll get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Against Liverpool, as an example, I would be much happier to see Schneiderlin in midfielder in a three with Pogba and Herrera - instead of playing Mata or Rooney as a 10. We need the extra midfield man in midfield, imo.

beno619 wrote: »
    I like Morgan, but I think most United players misjudged his game at Southampton.

He's not really a DM more box to box. We'll eventually pick up injuries and he'll get a chance.

In every reference piece, in every analysis done on him and all the articles I read the two seasons before he joined, he was described as a defensive midfielder, and all the statistics he was leading were defensive related.

Below is one of many articles that surfaced before the season of many thinking Mourinho would find Schneiderlan to be his gem.

http://mufclatest.com/morgan-schneiderlin-quietly-one-of-manchester-uniteds-greatest-talents/

I also noticed today (I stayed out of the rumour stuff this summer) that the club rejected a bid for Schneiderlan from Totenham. That's interesting and I don't remember being discussed here at the time.

Surely he figures in Mourinho's plans, and as Mitch says I would love to see him anchor a midfield three of Herrera and Pogba.

He's the only midfielder I trust that can anyway combat or deal with crafty 10's and movement across the front of our defence.

He's the only midfielder I trust that can anyway combat or deal with crafty 10's and movement across the front of our defence.

He hasn't really shown he can do that.. under LVG anyway.

beno619 wrote: »
    He hasn't really shown he can do that.. under LVG anyway.

Well he kinda did....a lot was made by some outlets about our winrate,lossrate and goals conceded stats when Morgan was in as opposed out.

And I don't know what Van Gaal was doing with him but he should have been playing a lot more. That loss to Arsenal away with Carrick and Schweinsteiger in the middle wouldn't have happened with Schneiderlan playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Against Liverpool, as an example, I would be much happier to see Schneiderlin in midfielder in a three with Pogba and Herrera - instead of playing Mata or Rooney as a 10. We need the extra midfield man in midfield, imo.

Liverpool's pressing game would destroy Rooney,we need fast one or two touch passing to combat that.Mata @ 10 would be ok as he has that type of passing in his locker.
    One way to combat their style is allow them out to press and go a bit more direct to Zlatan and have runners such as Rashford and Martial running in past him.Pep did that with Bayern against Dortmund's gegenpressing and got a lot of success.

Anthony Taylor will ref the game on Monday night,Liverpool fans not happy as he's a Manc.

zerks wrote: »
    Anthony Taylor will ref the game on Monday night,Liverpool fans not happy as he's a Manc.

Hope we get 3 peno's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Red or blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Red or blue?

Altrincham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Supposedly there was a complaint to the FA.. I think it's just a way of putting pressure on him from Liverpool. I don't hold out for getting any of the big decisions that come his way.

Well he kinda did....a lot was made by some outlets about our winrate,lossrate and goals conceded stats when Morgan was in as opposed out.

And I don't know what Van Gaal was doing with him but he should have been playing a lot more. That loss to Arsenal away with Carrick and Schweinsteiger in the middle wouldn't have happened with Schneiderlan playing

May have been an anomaly with LVG's 10 men behind the ball tactics ect.

It certainly would have been tougher for Arsenal to blitz us that day.

With any kind of spot-light on the ref, as there seems to be already, it could swing the other way: He could be looking to prove that he isn't biased towards a Manchester team and award something silly to Liverpool early on in the match. We'll see. I had a quick look at the list of games Anthony Taylor has reffed over the last few seasons (soccerbase link here).

He has no previous United/Pool matches that I can see. So far this season, he has reffed the United-Southampton match (2-0, no cards awarded) and nothing so far involving Liverpool. In 9 games this season, he has shown 27 yellow cards and no reds so far. He has sent off no United players over the last 4 seasons from what I see, but sent off Emre Can v Arsenal in April 2015 after two yellow cards.

I've said that I see the result being close next Monday, but I should have added and now will that that is dependent on United keeping 11 players on the field. We need physicality out there, but cool heads also.

An example - I love Herrera and he will probably rightfully be in the team next Monday. He isn't the stockiest of players, but is quite physical and likes a tackle. However, through a bit of recklessness he could have seen red with another referee for that 'tackle' on Joe Allen v Stoke. He's Basque, but somehow seems to bleed United. Possibly the first of his kind, a Basque-Manc. He was quite physical in the game at Anfield in 2015 that led to Gerrard seeing red within a minute of coming on. If there's any match Herrera will be fired up for and running a higher risk of putting in a silly challenge, it's against Liverpool at Anfield.

So, if we don't lose one of our CBs early on from being overwhelmed by a few speedy Liverpool attacks, or lose Ander in CM from he exercising a bit of Basque-Manc vengeance, I'm telling you there's a chance :)

One option which could decrease the chances of either of the above happening is to play a DM alongside Pogba and Herrera. Schneiderlin would be my choice. He can be disciplined and offer good protection to the back four, but also can be quick to get the ball moving forward. Jose would probably opt for Carrick or Fellaini. Whichever of those, I think three in the middle has to be the way to go here. Of course with Fellaini, there's that added risk of a yellow or red if he can't keep his elbows in check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm pretty sure that the midfield v Liverpool will be Fellaini, Herrera and Pogba with two from Lingard/Rashford/Martial supporting Ibra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement