Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the midfield v Liverpool will be Fellaini, Herrera and Pogba with two from Lingard/Rashford/Martial supporting Ibra.

Please let this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A midfield 3 of Can, Henderson and Lallana will work tirelessly but there isn't an abundance of talent there. The front 3 are the obvious dangers, Blind on Mane and Valencia up against Firmino or Coutinho, both need to have big games. Need our wide players to hurt Milner and Clyne, both well capable of howlers, I'd start with Lingard and Martial but Mikki and Rashford to come on if either aren't at the races. I can't see Mata featuring in this one, we need the extra midfielder and the wide players will need to be up and down the line.

.........Fellaini......
    ...Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Ibra Martial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You should get sacked for not bringing on Rashford. Awful managing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

zerks wrote: »

I don't get these types of haircuts, but can't help but love Pogba - the lads just genuinely seems to be having fun with life, rather than being some pretentious or stuck up d*ck. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't get these types of haircuts, but can't help but love Pogba - the lads just genuinely seems to be having fun with life, rather than being some pretentious or stuck up d*ck. :D

I'm fully expecting someone to make comment that he should stop focusing and worrying about his hair, and worry about putting performances in on the pitch worth £80m+

You literally know its coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I always laugh at Liverpool complaing about refs.

Yet in Pl history they have got the most penalties of any team. But keep that hush hush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

A midfield 3 of Can, Henderson and Lallana will work tirelessly but there isn't an abundance of talent there. The front 3 are the obvious dangers, Blind on Mane and Valencia up against Firmino or Coutinho, both need to have big games. Need our wide players to hurt Milner and Clyne, both well capable of howlers, I'd start with Lingard and Martial but Mikki and Rashford to come on if either aren't at the races. I can't see Mata featuring in this one, we need the extra midfielder and the wide players will need to be up and down the line.

.........Fellaini......
    ...Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Ibra Martial

Mata likes playing at anfield, scored 2 crackers there 2 seasons ago. Fully rested as well I think he will start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

.........Fellaini......
    ...Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Ibra Martial

Lalana is out injured I think. We will miss his work rate big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

beno619 wrote: »
    May have been an anomaly with LVG's 10 men behind the ball tactics ect.

It certainly would have been tougher for Arsenal to blitz us that day.

This is one of the stranger myths/lies about the Van Gaal tactics.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

First time I've ever seen him accused of using such tactics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yeah a bit of an exaggeration on my part i'll admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I always laugh at Liverpool complaing about refs.

Yet in Pl history they have got the most penalties of any team. But keep that hush hush

but but but....they were legitimate penalties.

stankratz wrote: »
    With any kind of spot-light on the ref, as there seems to be already, it could swing the other way: He could be looking to prove that he isn't biased towards a Manchester team and award something silly to Liverpool early on in the match. We'll see. I had a quick look at the list of games Anthony Taylor has reffed over the last few seasons (soccerbase link here).

He has no previous United/Pool matches that I can see. So far this season, he has reffed the United-Southampton match (2-0, no cards awarded) and nothing so far involving Liverpool. In 9 games this season, he has shown 27 yellow cards and no reds so far. He has sent off no United players over the last 4 seasons from what I see, but sent off Emre Can v Arsenal in April 2015 after two yellow cards.

I've said that I see the result being close next Monday, but I should have added and now will that that is dependent on United keeping 11 players on the field. We need physicality out there, but cool heads also.

An example - I love Herrera and he will probably rightfully be in the team next Monday. He isn't the stockiest of players, but is quite physical and likes a tackle. However, through a bit of recklessness he could have seen red with another referee for that 'tackle' on Joe Allen v Stoke. He's Basque, but somehow seems to bleed United. Possibly the first of his kind, a Basque-Manc. He was quite physical in the game at Anfield in 2015 that led to Gerrard seeing red within a minute of coming on. If there's any match Herrera will be fired up for and running a higher risk of putting in a silly challenge, it's against Liverpool at Anfield.

So, if we don't lose one of our CBs early on from being overwhelmed by a few speedy Liverpool attacks, or lose Ander in CM from he exercising a bit of Basque-Manc vengeance, I'm telling you there's a chance :)

One option which could decrease the chances of either of the above happening is to play a DM alongside Pogba and Herrera. Schneiderlin would be my choice. He can be disciplined and offer good protection to the back four, but also can be quick to get the ball moving forward. Jose would probably opt for Carrick or Fellaini. Whichever of those, I think three in the middle has to be the way to go here. Of course with Fellaini, there's that added risk of a yellow or red if he can't keep his elbows in check.

My Favorite football moment of 2015.

One of the more surprising things about Hererra when I first saw him play for us, and continues to surprise me, is how he looks like a little terrier.

I know from people who have seen him first hand he's not as small as he looks on TV, but I'm always taken a back by his tackling and intercepting. It's just something I didn't expect at first, assuming he would be a somewhat lightweight technical midfielder.

There is something really impressive about how he slide tackles. Weird to say, but so often I take a sharp intake, he wins the ball, and then I breathe.

And yeah that red card is going to stick long in the memory, just couldn't script a bigger calamity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    And yeah that red card is going to stick long in the memory, just couldn't script a bigger calamity.

Oh, I can think of one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You had to slip that in.

You had to slip that in.

Oh yeah, I need to stop letting things run away from me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You had to slip that in.
    Oh yeah, I need to stop letting things run away from me...

We know you're reading...

poke.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm happy, was in contact with O'Hare airport and they gave me the places to watch sport...the United match next Monday.
    Sometimes I think things happen for a reason, you see I am going to Austin next week, and have a connecting flight at O'Hare airport, originally the connecting flight would have been during the United game against Liverpool - I presumed any match United would be playing would be a Saturday or Sunday when booking.
    Then De Gea's most disliked airline - American changed the stopover from about 2 hours to over 5 hours which initially pissed me off...
    Then the match fixtures for October came out, which turned out perfect as the match will start in hour 2 of the stopover and end well over an hour before the next flight.
    The airport got back to me of places to watch the game.

So I am even happier today :D
    Sorry the post is about me, but as fans you understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm happy, was in contact with O'Hare airport and they gave me the places to watch sport...the United match next Monday.
    Sometimes I think things happen for a reason, you see I am going to Austin next week, and have a connecting flight at O'Hare airport, originally the connecting flight would have been during the United game against Liverpool - I presumed any match United would be playing would be a Saturday or Sunday when booking.
    Then De Gea's most disliked airline - American changed the stopover from about 2 hours to over 5 hours which initially pissed me off...
    Then the match fixtures for October came out, which turned out perfect as the match will start in hour 2 of the stopover and end well over an hour before the next flight.
    The airport got back to me of places to watch the game.

So I am even happier today :D
    Sorry the post is about me, but as fans you understand.

Good stuff! It's also good as it will make the layover go faster. Nothing worse than hours of a layover when waiting for a connecting flight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good stuff! It's also good as it will make the layover go faster. Nothing worse than hours of a layover when waiting for a connecting flight :rolleyes:

Yeah, kind of perfect really...and if this becomes 9 even better.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/736125806523604992

José Mourinho has beaten Liverpool more times (8) than any other side in his managerial career. Loves the rivalry.

• Match thread meltdown will be catastrophic Monday evening :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Match thread meltdown will be catastrophic Monday evening :P

Especially if Utd manage to nick a win :D

Sure may as well throw it up just to refresh the memories...

Atkinson produces an Anfield appeasement yellow for Herrera, never touched him.

I seriously can't wait for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm dreading it. Think we're gonna get slaughtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm with you. Can see 2-1 or 3-1 to Liverpool.

Leave the bedwetting till after the game. I'm going to predict a 3-1 win for United.

Ibra 6 mins
    Milner 20 (pen)
    Rashford 45 mins
    Rooney 91 mins

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nalz wrote: »

There will definitely be some kind of dread in the form of nerves on my part, and that will be rooted in the possibility that this Liverpool team could score a few and do some damage. I'm still looking forward to it though. The international break plays some part in that anticipation of course, but after what I see as progression in the last two league performances I'm anxious to see United get back to work and try to build on that.

Also, isn't Zlatan due his first PL brace of goals soon??

• Advertisement

Can we not get a match thread up and running yet and have a bit of bantz with the old enemy?

• Jayop wrote: »
    Can we not get a match thread up and running yet and have a bit of bantz with the old enemy?

Ask TSC
    I'm sure he will allow it :pac::D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ask TSC
    I'm sure he will allow it :pac::D

He scares me. :eek:

• stankratz wrote: »
    There will definitely be some kind of dread in the form of nerves on my part, and that will be rooted in the possibility that this Liverpool team could score a few and do some damage. I'm still looking forward to it though. The international break plays some part in that anticipation of course, but after what I see as progression in the last two league performances I'm anxious to see United get back to work and try to build on that.

Also, isn't Zlatan due his first PL brace of goals soon??

Some would swear we are in a bad way.
    Plenty to be positive about.
    I prefer the position we are in. Building our team, and the usual over-hype of Liverpool going through a little burst of form.
    The bubble will burst and when it does I will laugh..alot..with Phil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jayop wrote: »

It was done early before and closed straight away.

Nalz wrote: »

If there is one thing the team can retain form Van Gaal, is hopefully their ability to when we look at our bleakest going into a big game, busting out a result, and a convincing one too.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a convincing United win and it being a turning point. At the same time can be a Liverpool pumping.

Interested to see how Jose goes for it. If he goes to contain them and ends up losing I'll pick the meat of his bones.

If he goes to get at their so blatantly rubbish defence with some pace and flair, I'll be fine with any result.

I just need Mourinho to stop being a question mark. There is a team and formation that picks itself, and that just needs to happen. And if **** goes south, we can look at the reasons why, and if its players messing up fine.

But would really like if our manager(s) stop being question marks and point of concern.

Also something screaming at me to back Ibrahimovic to score two, I don't why, but one of those "feelings"

• Advertisement

If there is one thing the team can retain form Van Gaal, is hopefully their ability to when we look at our bleakest going into a big game, busting out a result, and a convincing one too.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a convincing United win and it being a turning point. At the same time can be a Liverpool pumping.

Interested to see how Jose goes for it. If he goes to contain them and ends up losing I'll pick the meat of his bones.

If he goes to get at their so blatantly rubbish defence with some pace and flair, I'll be fine with any result.

I just need Mourinho to stop being a question mark. There is a team and formation that picks itself, and that just needs to happen. And if **** goes south, we can look at the reasons why, and if its players messing up fine.

But would really like if our manager(s) stop being question marks and point of concern.

Also something screaming at me to back Ibrahimovic to score two, I don't why, but one of those "feelings"

I have no problem going long to Zlatan time after time for the initial 30 minutes. they press high, let our defenders have it, draw them in, back to DDG, long to Zlatan and have Pogba and co play off him, it should leave massive gaps between liverpools forwards and middle.

Liverpool have serious problems breaking down teams who get behind the ball, Burnley being one example. I'd shut up shop for 20-30 minutes and slowly kill the crowd.

Then hopefully get them on the counter.

United Vs Liverpool Head 2 Head.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/manchester-united/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Liverpool/

Games won: 87
    Games drawn: 62
    Games lost: 75

Last 10 games...

13 Jan 2013 Manchester United v Liverpool W 2-1 Premier League
    01 Sep 2013 Liverpool v Manchester United L 1-0 Premier League
    25 Sep 2013 Manchester United v Liverpool W 1-0 League Cup
    16 Mar 2014 Manchester United v Liverpool L 0-3 Premier League
    14 Dec 2014 Manchester United v Liverpool W 3-0 Premier League
    22 Mar 2015 Liverpool v Manchester United W 1-2 Premier League
    12 Sep 2015 Manchester United v Liverpool W 3-1 Premier League
    17 Jan 2016 Liverpool v Manchester United W 0-1 Premier League
    10 Mar 2016 Liverpool v Manchester United L 2-0 UEFA Europa League
    17 Mar 2016 Manchester United v Liverpool D 1-1 UEFA Europa League

We've only lost one in the last 6, winning 4 and drawing 1.

form guide, Last 5 games.

United - W3, D1, L1
    Liverpool - W5

It was done early before and closed straight away.

Yep. If it was opened now, I imagine this is what it'd be like for mods soon after...

9zMxqEi.gif

The mods might treat those of us waiting to view the carnage to a Sunday night opening, but most likely Mick of House Seaworth and the rest of the brave battlers will have to hold formation until Monday morning.

mab5M8D.jpg?1

I have no problem going long to Zlatan time after time for the initial 30 minutes. they press high, let our defenders have it, draw them in, back to DDG, long to Zlatan and have Pogba and co play off him, it should leave massive gaps between liverpools forwards and middle.

Liverpool have serious problems breaking down teams who get behind the ball, Burnley being one example. I'd shut up shop for 20-30 minutes and slowly kill the crowd.

Ya wasnt that pretty much the blueprint teams in Germany used via his Dortmund team in his final season?

Probably Liverpools inability to defend set pieces arent they one of the worst since Klopp took over?

That being said Stoke are the worst in that period if I remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its gonna be tough against the scouse as usual.

They are playing well but are very fragile at the back and particularly from set pieces.

We have a lot of strength in the team in the likes of Zlatan and Pogba as well as pace in Rashers and Martial.

Has the makings of a cracking game.

I'd be quite happy with a point but a loss at this stage of the season would be far from the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That Burnley game is surely an exception ?

Its gonna be tough against the scouse as usual.

They are playing well but are very fragile at the back and particularly from set pieces.

We have a lot of strength in the team in the likes of Zlatan and Pogba as well as pace in Rashers and Martial.

Has the makings of a cracking game.

I'd be quite happy with a point but a loss at this stage of the season would be far from the end of the world.

I agree.

Also, what the hell is a Star Chamber??

I agree.

Also, what the hell is a Star Chamber??

haha I was just looking at that and wondering what it was too!! :o:o:D:D

haha I was just looking at that and wondering what it was too!! :o:o:D:D

It's new and Shiny and I want in!!

It's new and Shiny and I want in!!

I want in so I can have a nose around!! Though I have no idea what it is so it could be men only?? :eek:

I want in so I can have a nose around!! Though I have no idea what it is so it could be men only?? :eek:

Sounds kinda girly tbf! ;)

Sounds kinda girly tbf! ;)

To me it sounds like it can go one of two ways-

1) It's a girly star celebrity discussion forum or
    2) It's some kind of star trek sci fi forum...

oooh the mystery of which we shall never know :D

PS: I would love us to beat Liverpool :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The star chamber is replacing the positivity plane/train /tractor
    Welcome aboard

brinty wrote: »
    The star chamber is replacing the positivity plane/train /tractor
    Welcome aboard

beam me up! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.