Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ya wasnt that pretty much the blueprint teams in Germany used via his Dortmund team in his final season?

Yea pretty much and look where they ended up. Teams will figure the strategy out just like they figured out leicster. It just takes time.

With that said it's a massive derby and anything could happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

beno619 wrote: »
    That Burnley game is surely an exception ?

Hrmm not very much this season. Everyone they've played has tried to play football against them. Especially the bigger teams in Arsenal and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jayop wrote: »
    I agree.

Also, what the hell is a Star Chamber??
    haha I was just looking at that and wondering what it was too!! :o:o:D:D

Its a magical, wonderful place where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Its a magical, wonderful place where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems.

Ah here, I'm just more inquisitive now!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Ooh can I come?! Sounds intriguing! I like ducks AND balloons and throwing is my most favourite thing to do! :D :pac:

Nothing ever happens during international break....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Main headline on tomorrow's back pages is Rooney to be sold,although the club may have to pay off the remains of his contract. Interest already from the MLS and China.

zerks wrote: »
    Main headline on tomorrow's back pages is Rooney to be sold,although the club may have to pay off the remains of his contract. Interest already from the MLS and China.

There'll be plenty of those stories over the next while no doubt, whether there's any substance to them or not. I feel though that Rooney is currently playing his last season for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If it is his last season, I wonder if he'll break the record? Considering the fact that he's being dropped now, isn't the penalty taker and doesn't play striker, he might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

J. Marston wrote: »
    If it is his last season, I wonder if he'll break the record? Considering the fact that he's being dropped now, isn't the penalty taker and doesn't play striker, he might not.

Maybe he will be played in the league cup or something against a much lower league team and score a few. What's he need 4 to overtake Bobby?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Maybe he will be played in the league cup or something against a much lower league team and score a few. What's he need 4 to overtake Bobby?

That was tried at Northampton. It didn't go too well. City up next......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Club should cash in. Really low percentage of Rooney ever capturing form worthy of the clubs status, and it's questionable how good he is for a dressing room or the overall harmony if hes not playing. I guess we will find out, since its likely to be him on the bench for a while.

The last remnant of Ferguson also really, bar Young, Valencia and Carrick who I don't think will be around much longer either. I wonder if that will allow the comparisons to Fergusons methods be finally forgotten so a manager can go about their business not dealing with that ****e, or if its part of it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TheDoc wrote: »
    Club should cash in.

Aren't all the stories suggesting it'll be a free transfer or have I misread?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Jnn6sTt.png

Man United and Liverpool issue a statement to the match thread :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Club should cash in.

We won't be "cashing in", really. I can't see anyone paying **** all for him (unless its to China), and I think we'll end up subsidizing most of his wages too :/
    Lukekul wrote: »
    Man United and Liverpool issue a statement to the match thread :pac:

Awesome, thats the first post of that topic set up then :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We won't be "cashing in", really. I can't see anyone paying **** all for him (unless its to China), and I think we'll end up subsidizing most of his wages too :/

Awesome, thats the first post of that topic set up then :pac:

Anything 10m+ on Rooney would be cashing in.

And he will probably need to accept he won't get the money we offered him in madness, unless as you say it's China or MLS.

Seeing today the announcement of Liverpools wage cap for acadamy players, and just a few other bits I was reading and listening to this week (mainly around big Sam's pay off) I wonder at what point will football wake up a little in terms of the contracts put on offer.

Should be so much more bonus/incentive based rather then big flat salaries. although like most things in football too far gone to probably change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Club should cash in. Really low percentage of Rooney ever capturing form worthy of the clubs status, and it's questionable how good he is for a dressing room or the overall harmony if hes not playing. I guess we will find out, since its likely to be him on the bench for a while.

I know this thread has an obsession with selling useful players but there wont be much cash to be made.

At the end of the day he's still Wayne Rooney and will be useful in a squad with our ambitions.

He's polarising but I dont think he's done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At the end of the day he's still Wayne Rooney and will be useful in a squad with our ambitions.

My main worry is I don't think he'll be happy as a squad player. He wants to start, and that is, in all due fairness, admirable. But when you see the interviews starting the second he's dropped (there was one when Jose benched him, and another with Southgate did)...I don't believe he's going to be happy sitting on the bench and waiting his turn. And there'll reach a stage where you have to wonder if we want an underpreforming, possibly disruptive, very expensive squad player on the bench.

"He's still Wayne Rooney" seems to be the crux of his defenders' arguments, but "He's still Eric Cantona" would be laughed out of the building if used as an argument to have Cantona on the bench....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah. I reckon he would be fairly toxic to keep around in a bit part role.
    The lads on the Rantcast podcast made a good point about Mourinho asking for Fergie to have more input and how that would affect Rooney's future at the club.

There's absolutely no chance Rooney is at the club next season IMO. Not even the tiniest little morsel of a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I know this thread has an obsession with selling useful players but there wont be much cash to be made.

He's polarising but I dont think he's done.

Transfer fees are only a small part of the issue in the most part when dealing with purchases or sales.

Rooney being on 250k per week is something that should be looked at when discussing any fee we get for him. I don't think we would get big money for him - but even letting him leave for a relatively nominal fee would free up 13million per season. That is money that could be used to pay Greizmann, for example.

That would also be huge money to be paying a squad player merely consider as useful.

I personally don't think Rooney is good enough in any role you would consider him to be good in, to justify his place in the first 11 - and after you remove him from the first 11 I would question the validity of keeping him at all to an even great degree.

• Advertisement

Nice try Didi: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3836250/Wayne-Rooney-start-Manchester-United-against-Liverpool-says-Didi-Hamann-launches-defence-England-s-beleaguered-captain.html

"Wayne Rooney must start against Liverpool"...........They'd love that,his taking 3 touches to control a ball while they swarm around him.We may as well start with 10 men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

rooney could very well start against liverpool. we need to be aggressive against liverpool and it could be the game that changes rooneys fortune around.

de gea

val----bailly
    smalling
    blind

herrera
    pogba

rashford
    rooney
    martial

ibra

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My main worry is I don't think he'll be happy as a squad player. He wants to start, and that is, in all due fairness, admirable. But when you see the interviews starting the second he's dropped (there was one when Jose benched him, and another with Southgate did)...I don't believe he's going to be happy sitting on the bench and waiting his turn. And there'll reach a stage where you have to wonder if we want an underpreforming, possibly disruptive, very expensive squad player on the bench.

I disagree with most of the criticism with regards his interviews.

He's captain of both sides & nothing he's stated seemed to cause any offence or could upset teammates.

Rooney as being absolutely hammered from all sides and only half of it is justified.

Transfer fees are only a small part of the issue in the most part when dealing with purchases or sales.

Rooney being on 250k per week is something that should be looked at when discussing any fee we get for him. I don't think we would get big money for him - but even letting him leave for a relatively nominal fee would free up 13million per season. That is money that could be used to pay Greizmann, for example.

That would also be huge money to be paying a squad player merely consider as useful.

I personally don't think Rooney is good enough in any role you would consider him to be good in, to justify his place in the first 11 - and after you remove him from the first 11 I would question the validity of keeping him at all to an even great degree.

All fair points.

Rooney has a commercial value which combined with being useful enough to the manager that means he might be worth keeping from a sporting and financial point of view.

bangkok wrote: »
    rooney could very well start against liverpool. we need to be aggressive against liverpool and it could be the game that changes rooneys fortune around.

de gea

val----bailly
    smalling
    blind

herrera
    pogba

rashford
    rooney
    martial

ibra

When was the last time he was aggressive in a game,even that seems to have vanished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When was the last time he was aggressive in a game,even that seems to have vanished.

The refs and linesmen might disagree.

everytime we play liverpool... scored the winner there last season as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVUVCB4mmU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That was some strange game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Play Rooney over Mata?

Bitch please.

Juan-Mata-golazo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

All fair points.

Rooney has a commercial value which combined with being useful enough to the manager that means he might be worth keeping from a sporting and financial point of view.

Looking at recent publishing of shirt sales, Rooney now finds himself down the list of shirt sales at the club. Pogba, Ibra, De Gea and Rashford are ahead of him. Should Rooney be sold and his wages used to sign a top target, Griezmann for example, i'd wager than Griezmann would easily replace and expand of Rooney's shirt sales. Rooney's stock is falling, both on the pitch and off the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mata definitely plays over Rooney.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Mata definitely plays over Rooney.

perhaps mata right rooney central, we wil lfind out on monday night

There's this, granted it wasn't on the pitch though...

vLqyH0y.jpg

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Play Rooney over Mata?

Bitch please.

Juan-Mata-golazo.gif

One of the best things I remember about that day was in the lead up to the game, a Liverpool fan on this forum saying Mata was past it and 2 managers (Mourinho and van Gaal) had seen through him. Then he goes out and breaks hearts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

bangkok wrote: »
    perhaps mata right rooney central, we wil lfind out on monday night

rooney hasnt earned his way back into the starting lineup for me and mata isnt as effective on the right usually. mata central and rooney central on his bench seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm happy, was in contact with O'Hare airport and they gave me the places to watch sport...the United match next Monday.
    Sometimes I think things happen for a reason, you see I am going to Austin next week, and have a connecting flight at O'Hare airport, originally the connecting flight would have been during the United game against Liverpool - I presumed any match United would be playing would be a Saturday or Sunday when booking.
    Then De Gea's most disliked airline - American changed the stopover from about 2 hours to over 5 hours which initially pissed me off...
    Then the match fixtures for October came out, which turned out perfect as the match will start in hour 2 of the stopover and end well over an hour before the next flight.
    The airport got back to me of places to watch the game.

So I am even happier today :D
    Sorry the post is about me, but as fans you understand.

Funnily enough, that's where I am this week. Are you going for the race? I would love to be able to stay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Only the one usual player missing for the Liverpool game by the looks of it.

Mkhitaryan must be nearly ready for the first team again he could be in contention but I feel it will be jesse mata and flashers behind zlatan.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that's where I am this week. Are you going for the race? I would love to be able to stay for it.

Looks like our paths nearly crossed, anything you recommend?
    Yeah going for the race and music, and some sightseeing. Will be watching the match against Chelsea at the circuit, before the build up for the race.
    Pity you couldn't stay another week.
    Anyway I hope it is a happy one for United fans and Lewis is not sulking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jose got things very wrong for the first half against City, tactics have to be spot on for this one from the get go.

• Advertisement

Jose got things very wrong for the first half against City, tactics have to be spot on for this one from the get go.

If Jose goes 4-3-3

The midfield with Herrera, Pogba (free role) and maybe Fellaini.
    Martial, Ibrrahimovic and Rashford.

4-2-3-1
    Herrera--Pogba
    Rashford-Mata-Martial
    Ibrahimovic---

I am probably totally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose will play these next two games safer than he did Stoke and Leicester imo.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't play 3 out and out midfielders out of Fellaini/Carrick/Pogba/Ander with two wide men like Lingard and Martial flanking Ibra.

If Jose goes for it and plays Mata or Mikki instead of the holding midfielder and we lose he'll take a lot of criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Looks like our paths nearly crossed, anything you recommend?
    Yeah going for the race and music, and some sightseeing. Will be watching the match against Chelsea at the circuit, before the build up for the race.
    Pity you couldn't stay another week.
    Anyway I hope it is a happy one for United fans and Lewis is not sulking...

I'll fire you on a PM there. I got an email from one of the local lads here for the best food places.

If you want to pick up a few bits and pieces Barton Square Mall (south west) and Rock Round Outlets (very north) are worth a look. San Marcos outlets are worth a look I've been told, but I've not been there.

There's not much downtown, except Texas Capital and east 6th street (good Irish bar for watching matches and other nice food places). It's worth a walk around. Good view of downtown from the Texas 1 loop highway at night if you have a car.

Seen a good few people wearing United stuff around the place actually, but not many KK jerseys apart from me :pac:

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'll fire you on a PM there. I got an email from one of the local lads here for the best food places.

If you want to pick up a few bits and pieces Barton Square Mall (south west) and Rock Round Outlets (very north) are worth a look. San Marcos outlets are worth a look I've been told, but I've not been there.

There's not much downtown, except Texas Capital and east 6th street (good Irish bar for watching matches and other nice food places). It's worth a walk around. Good view of downtown from the Texas 1 loop highway at night if you have a car.

Seen a good few people wearing United stuff around the place actually, but not many KK jerseys apart from me :pac:

Thanks for all the info.
    I was looking at that Irish pub online there, will go there for the Europa game against Fenerbahce, I see they serve chips with a Kilkenny sauce :D
    Well done on the KK jersey, must follow your lead.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Only the one usual player missing for the Liverpool game by the looks of it.

Mkhitaryan must be nearly ready for the first team again he could be in contention but I feel it will be jesse mata and flashers behind zlatan.

Nearly forgetting Mkhitaryan is here. Would really like if he could like get himself fit and start contributing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nearly forgetting Mkhitaryan is here. Would really like if he could like get himself fit and start contributing

Yeh it's so easy to forget we have him still to come into the team and hopefully do what we know he can do. We could do with him at his best now.

• Advertisement

Mkhitaryan has already shown glimpses of his class, a very bad 45 mins against city has overshadowed that. Worth remembering Patrice Evra had an awful 45 mins against city and was taken off at half time, went onto become a United legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Herrera should be starting in the middle now!! he is 26 years of age and we need to start seeing what his full potential is!!

Fellaini doesn't deserve to play more games than Herrera!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Really need Mourinho to rain on the parade in Merseyside on Monday, the last time things were going this well for them they almost won the league, would be nice to kill the momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Really need Mourinho to rain on the parade in Merseyside on Monday, the last time things were going this well for them they almost won the league, would be nice to kill the momentum.
    that would be deadly!!
    4-0 to united.
    Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Has anyone combined their Liverpool & Man United 11 yet? You can do it here. It's very difficult. Post your teams. :)

Mine (tried to put bias aside):

combined_11.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement