Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

astradave wrote: »
    City haven't won in 2 now, wonder if Pep is a busted flush

New idea for thread ;)

Looking forward to Monday. It's the one you want to win and hate to get beat in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jayo26 wrote: »
    4 nil win for us at anfield and we go into top four ...... let's do this.

3 nil at home and liverpool go top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

niallo27 wrote: »

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

niallo27 wrote: »

The far more likely scenario.

This team cannot cope with the slightest bit of pressing and that's one of Liverpool's biggest strengths. They can afford to drag players out of position to hunt for the ball because they'll know we won't be able to punish them for it.

J. Marston wrote: »

This team cannot cope with the slightest bit of pressing and that's one of Liverpool's biggest strengths. They can afford to drag players out of position to hunt for the ball because they'll know we won't be able to punish them for it.

Pool defence wouldn't be the best at coping with a bit of physicality we can pick good and bad in both teams.

United are going to have to soak up pressure but Liverpool are going to have to be careful of counterattack it can really go eitherway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Rashers will do the pool defence, that kid has the moves and the ability to ghost into the right space at the right time and nerves of steel when it comes to finishing. Expecting big big games from Pogba and Ibra. Herrera will be a terrier on middle of patk8, feeling good about this one, roll on Monday. Glory Glory.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

brinty wrote: »
    Hehehehehe
    I just want us to now capitalise on this on Monday
    Everytime under lvg when we'd a chance to close a gap we list or drew,let's hope this changes under Jose

Agreed but a draw against them wouldn't be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Agreed but a draw against them wouldn't be too bad

I'd say that is exactly what Jose is thinking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Anderson has been suspended from his club for punching a team mate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:
    Anderson has been suspended from his club for punching a team mate

He's still fat...

What's that in his arse pocket...

Is that cesc and Stevie me

Any wonder he's gotten so big carrying them around all these years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

secman wrote: »
    Rashers will do the pool defence, that kid has the moves and the ability to ghost into the right space at the right time and nerves of steel when it comes to finishing. Expecting big big games from Pogba and Ibra. Herrera will be a terrier on middle of patk8, feeling good about this one, roll on Monday. Glory Glory.....

It's probably about time he had one alright.

J. Marston wrote: »

I can't see a Jose side getting beat 3 nil. I hate this game. I hate feeling confident I know it's going back fire ok me.

stankratz wrote: »
    How many of you have yourselves convinced that you're going top on Monday? I haven't been in your thread, but I'd say it's gas.

Y'all better be ready for 1-1!

Very few in fairness. It's utd. They have been dominant for so long. It's at anfield so I make liverpool slight favourites. Two games a year that make me sick. I ****en hate them. I'd take one each and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I can't wait until we pop liverpools bubble on Monday and bring them back into uniteds shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

niallo27 wrote:
    I can't see a Jose side getting beat 3 nil. I hate this game. I hate feeling confident I know it's going back fire ok me.

Thats good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'm going with 1.1 tomorrow, us to score first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

4-3 to us.

GAWD, I hate playing Mondays after international breaks. Nervous and excited, but more than anything, desperate for it to be game day again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we switch off like we did against City we'll find ourselves a couple of goals down. You have to be completely focused against a high pressing team full of confidence.

We have the better players but that counts for nothing if they aren't playing as a team, Jose will tell them how to win and it's up to the players to act out the instructions. Break the press, hit their shaky defence hard and take the chances when they come.

If we switch off like we did against City we'll find ourselves a couple of goals down. You have to be completely focused against a high pressing team full of confidence.

We have the better players but that counts for nothing if they aren't playing as a team, Jose will tell them how to win and it's up to the players to act out the instructions. Break the press, hit their shaky defence hard and take the chances when they come.

This will be key. We didn't against Stoke. Jose can nail every tactic he wants but if we cant put the ball in the net like we couldn't at Stoke, then we'll be in trouble badly.

On paper the Stoke game looked so bad but if we had of taken half our chances it would of been a big game that everyone would say is a turning point of the season. We need to be vultures when we get a chance tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Jose to be investigated by the FA :rolleyes:

On the fears Liverpool fans have voiced of Anthony Taylor, the ref for the game, being from Manchester, Jose said...

"I think Mr Taylor is a very good referee but I think somebody with intention is putting such a pressure on him that I feel that it will be difficult for him to have a very good performance"

Apparently you can't say anything about the referee whatsoever, even when its a major talking point before the game.

====

Meanwhile, Sam Johnstone has also signed a new two year contract.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/787643344965042176

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jose to be investigated by the FA :rolleyes:

On the fears Liverpool fans have voiced of Anthony Taylor, the ref for the game, being from Manchester, Jose said...

"I think Mr Taylor is a very good referee but I think somebody with intention is putting such a pressure on him that I feel that it will be difficult for him to have a very good performance"

Apparently you can't say anything about the referee whatsoever, even when its a major talking point before the game.

====

That's the fans crying conspiracy theory again sure claiming jose putting pressure on ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's the fans crying conspiracy theory again sure claiming jose putting pressure on ref.

Jose will be charged by the FA because of Liverpool fans, is that what you're saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jose will be charged by the FA because of Liverpool fans, is that what you're saying?

Yes. That's exactly what he said, word for word. If you read between the lines he also blamed Liverpool fans for the holocaust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I presume Shaw is still injured?

Would of been a great asset tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Headshot wrote: »
    I presume Shaw is still injured?

Would of been a great asset tomorrow

No he and Mhkitaryan are fit and available for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yes. That's exactly what he said, word for word. If you read between the lines he also blamed Liverpool fans for the holocaust.

Bit of a needless bleep comment tbf, he mentioned Liverpool fans but is not clear in what he's actually saying, hopefully he can clarify, having his spokesman doing it for him in not satisfactory to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    No he and Mhkitaryan are fit and available for tomorrow night.

That's great news but still it be nice if they had that match fitness. I doubt they are ready to start this kind of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Headshot wrote: »
    That's great news but still it be nice if they had that match fitness. I doubt they are ready to start this kind of game.

If its still tight with half an hour to go they are great options to have on the bench.

• Advertisement

Bit of a needless bleep comment tbf, he mentioned Liverpool fans but is not clear in what he's actually saying, hopefully he can clarify, having his spokesman doing it for him in not satisfactory to me.

It was a tongue in cheek comment ment for people that ain't so uptight about these things I'm sorry if it confused you I'll bear that in mind for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tomorrow night's referee only lives THIRTY THREE miles from Anfield! How has nobody noticed this? How have the FA gotten away with appointing a referee who'll be so obviously biased?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hopefully a repeat of this tomorrow night.

MARTIAL_3438047i.jpg

Hopefully a repeat of this tomorrow night.

MARTIAL_3438047i.jpg

With Martin Tyler commentating

According to the Daily Express, and in news that definitely will delight some here, Memphis is set for a January switch to AC Milan

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/721589/Manchester-United-Transfer-News-Exclusive-Memphis-Depay-AC-Milan-January

• Advertisement

The lads have arrived in Liverpool.

3971305C00000578-0-image-m-15_1476650073078.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    According to the Daily Express, and in news that definitely will delight some here, Memphis is set for a January switch to AC Milan

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/721589/Manchester-United-Transfer-News-Exclusive-Memphis-Depay-AC-Milan-January

Would be great to let him go with a nice buy back clause in there. Though that would be too smart.

That list of flops they have in that article is infuriating too. Didn't United sell Tosic for more than they paid for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ander in the background of that Martial goal loving it all. His celebrations are something else, would love to see him win a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Liam O wrote: »
    Would be great to let him go with a nice buy back clause in there. Though that would be too smart.

That list of flops they have in that article is infuriating too. Didn't United sell Tosic for more than they paid for him?

It's a fair enough list with the exception of Berbatov. I get what your saying about Tosic but all the players on the list failed to live up to their potential.

Martial on Twitter calling out The Mirror for fabricating an interview with him.

That supposed mainstream publications can do that and get away with it is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's a fair enough list with the exception of Berbatov. I get what your saying about Tosic but all the players on the list failed to live up to their potential.

Ah it's not like the likes of Bellion and Roy Carroll were ever expected to be superstars when they joined. Barring Anderson, Veron and Berba the majority of them were punts for under 10m. Di Maria i class as an exception because he wasn't really given the platform to perform and most of the money was recouped.

Also Forlan doesn't get flop status for those 2 goals against Liverpool and being a general legend and top class footballer.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah it's not like the likes of Bellion and Roy Carroll were ever expected to be superstars when they joined. Barring Anderson, Veron and Berba the majority of them were punts for under 10m. Di Maria i class as an exception because he wasn't really given the platform to perform and most of the money was recouped.

Also Forlan doesn't get flop status for those 2 goals against Liverpool and being a general legend and top class footballer.

Bellion was small money but there was a decent buzz around him when he signed. Roy Carroll fair enough his career eventually showed his level. Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson even Liam Miller all came with a lot of hope involved and failed. Flop is a strong word but an argument can be made for all because they didn't meet the required standards or expectations

Still hope Memphis gets the season and a few games to try make an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    The lads have arrived in Liverpool.

3971305C00000578-0-image-m-15_1476650073078.jpg

They don't normally stay in Liverpool when they play them. Surprised at that

Martial on Twitter calling out The Mirror for fabricating an interview with him.

That supposed mainstream publications can do that and get away with it is astounding.

The Daily Star in the UK are particularly bad for it. Quoting players playing in different leagues about potentially coming to England when no local source for the quotes could be found. Like we are to believe that the Daily Star had a direct line to Wesley Sneijder or Karim Benzema that not even the journalists from their own countries could boast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

2-1 IBRA getting the winner. #You'llNeverWinAnother

duffman13 wrote: »
    Bellion was small money but there was a decent buzz around him when he signed. Roy Carroll fair enough his career eventually showed his level. Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson even Liam Miller all came with a lot of hope involved and failed. Flop is a strong word but an argument can be made for all because they didn't meet the required standards or expectations

Still hope Memphis gets the season and a few games to try make an impact.

Djemba Djemba cost the same amount as we paid for Roy Keane in 1993. Kleberson the same as Andy Cole in 1995. We were hardly breaking the bank for these guys and expecting them to pull up trees. Fergie was forever buying players like that and hoping to unearth a gem. For every Solksjaer there was an Erik Nevland. The only major flops I see on that list are Veron, Bosnich and Anderson to an extent. All were signed for either big money or with high expectations and none of them delivered on their promise.

Djemba Djemba cost the same amount as we paid for Roy Keane in 1993. Kleberson the same as Andy Cole in 1995. We were hardly breaking the bank for these guys and expecting them to pull up trees. Fergie was forever buying players like that and hoping to unearth a gem. For every Solksjaer there was an Erik Nevland. The only major flops I see on that list are Veron, Bosnich and Anderson to an extent. All were signed for either big money or with high expectations and none of them delivered on their promise.

I determine a flop as someone who failed to deliver on the expectations when they were signed. Kleberson came in as a world cup winner and a lot of people had high hopes and he never even got close. Taibi was supposed to be the long term solution to our goalkeeping issues, Forlan (great career) was signed and people were so excited and he was poor for us.

It's gonna vary from person to person but the expectations around some of the signings and what they delivered would make think flop.

Anthony-Martial-Pinocchio-jibe-at-The-Mirror-640x576.jpg

Gary Neville has written a piece for the Player's Tribune about the United/Liverpool rivalry and what it means to him. It's well worth a read IMO...

"More complicated than hate..."

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary-neville-manchester-united-liverpool/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-vs-manchester-united-jose-mourinho-wayne-rooney-a7364576.html

It's an Independent article from Ian Herbert based on the second half of Friday's press conference, the half that isn't released on video and is for the journo's to spin some articles around and get some clicks. Sounds like Jose had a pain in his balls answering questions about Rooney. Jose goes onto blame the press for releasing the hounds on him...
    Mourinho, who is unlikely to start with Rooney at Anfield, blamed journalists for damaging his confidence while he was with England. “I think what you could hurt you did already,” he said. “I don’t think you can do more than what you did. So I think in this moment it is time for him to recover from what was done to him and the best place for him to do that is feeling like he feels at home here.” He proceeded to be prickly when asked about the player, contradicting himself and making inaccurate statements.

Asked if losing his United and England position had left Rooney in some turmoil, he replied: “[At] Man United he didn’t lose place. Not at all.”

It was countered that Rooney had not started the last three games “That’s my job. That’s a choice. I have 24 players,” he replied. When it was suggested that Rooney was no longer first name on team sheet, he replied: “For me, he’s first-choice.”
    Jose on Zlatan's commitment...
    Jose wrote:
    “He was supposed not to play against Northampton...And because the match before we lost, he came to me and he told me: ‘I don’t want the three days off that you were supposed to give me. I want to go to that match. Maybe the team needs me, maybe the team needs me.’”

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement