Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rooney is spooked by Ibrahimovic an older fitter player who is still fighting to be the best. He (Rooney) should be looking at Ibra as an aide rather than a rival come to take his place as captain and team talisman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I love that attitude from ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ibra was a fantastic signing.... absolutely love him. he might only play for us for a year or two but the way he is going about his business he is a hero.

• Swords at the ready lads, me and Phil are going in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fancy us for the win tonight. Really need a performance from the players selected, but if firing cannot believe we won't score a few against that defence.

A win here could really put the momentum back in swing after that rough patch. After the dropped points by rivals at the weekend, need to grind a win here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Honestly don't know how tonight will go.

We obviously have the better players in the main but they are playing as a much better unit.

Lallana and Winaldjum could be big losses for them if they don't play.

They are defensively weak particularly from set pieces so we will need to take chances if we get them.

I'd take a draw if it was offered anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ibra was a fantastic signing.... absolutely love him. he might only play for us for a year or two but the way he is going about his business he is a hero.

He's a cocky arrogant bastard. But he's an excellent team mate to those around him and absolutely works his ass off nonstop to justify that arrogance. Even those that don't love him to respect that.

We're pretty big underdogs tonight, might even be worth a small flutter...

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/football/english/premier-league/liverpool-v-man-utd/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think the biggest challenge about tonights game is how the team handle and react to Pools high energy and pressing game,they will be at it from the start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's a cocky arrogant bastard. But he's an excellent team mate to those around him and absolutely works his ass off nonstop to justify that arrogance. Even those that don't love him to respect that.

far from it, he is confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think the biggest challenge about tonights game is how the team handle and react to Pools high energy and pressing game,they will be at it from the start

Yeah and Mourinho will know this. If we can shut them out for a half hour we stand a good chance of picking up a result. They do have a serious work rate early on though and it will be tough but the longer they are kept quiet the more they will struggle and cracks start to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What I'd love to see:

De Gea

Young
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Shaw

Herrera
    Schneiderlin
    Pogba

Rashford
    Ibra
    Martial

What I think we will see:

De Gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Blind

Fellaini
    Herrera
    Pogba

Lingard
    Ibra
    Rashford

Liverpool have lots of intricate, tricky attacking midfielders, like Coutinho, Mane and Firmino and Fellaini can struggle against these types and get passed around and give away cheap fouls or worse at times. For me, Morgan and Herrera sitting behind Pogba is what is needed in this kind of game. Shame Schneiderlin hasn't featured this season.

I'm still not a fan of Valencia and think that Young offers as much in terms of work rate but is better positionally and better in attack. But again, Jose stuck with that big lump Ivanovic at right back for years despite having a far superior natural right back on the left, so we are left with Val for a while.

If Shaw is fit I'd like to see him at LB and I'd put Daley in front of the back 4.

Yeah and Mourinho will know this. If we can shut them out for a half hour we stand a good chance of picking up a result. They do have a serious work rate early on though and it will be tough but the longer they are kept quiet the more they will struggle and cracks start to appear.

Think we have a perfect counter with Fellaini and Ibra and wouldn't be surprised to see both playing. For all Fellaini's critics, there is no doubting he is the best in the league at bringing a ball down to the floor from the air.

Why not let the Liverpool front line get sucked into our defenders or De Gea, for a cheeky lob to Fellaini and start from there. Or Ibra doing it with then some pace out wide to break.

Obviously it will be dangerous to just knock around the back under that press, but there must be some temptation to try tire them out as well.

Sitting back and soaking sounds exactly what Mourinho might do, and to me that plays into Liverpool hands. I'd say eventually they would break through.

It would be creative and totally not in Mourinhos style, but for me the ball needs to get back to front quickly and we need to test that defence out again and again. Neverminding the quality of their defence, they tend to leave gaps all over the place when they have that full press going.

Very much time for Mourinho to earn his crust, no room for tactical errors tonight, and I don't think its an overly difficult thing to map out, he just needs to make sure he doesn't make any rash mistakes in team selection or message.

If Shaw is fit I'd like to see him at LB and I'd put Daley in front of the back 4.

Can't see Shaw starting tonight. Anfield is not the game to come back from an injury or some time out. Blind has been excellent and has been providing more quality from the left in terms of crosses and the likes than Shaw.

Obvious concern about Mane's pace, but I Shaw really hasn't impressed me defensively if I'm honest. Young and a lot to learn, but I'm in no real rush to have him in the team.

This game is screaming for Schneiderlan holding the base of a three, but likely is going to be 4-2-3-1 again. I'll be a bit raging if Fellaini comes back in for Hererra. One of the most impressive part of Hererras game is his interceptions and tackling in that deep role, and he could be the catalyst for launching counters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If as expected we start with a front six of

Herrera
    Fellaini Pogba
    Rashford/lingard Martial
    Ibra

it will be very interesting to see what happens if Liverpool start passing incisively around us.
    Would Morgan come on to steady the ship?......even though he has seen damn all playing time.For me it seems as if Mourinho doesn't trust Schneiderlin to do a job in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

What I'd love to see:

De Gea

Young
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Shaw

Herrera
    Schneiderlin
    Pogba

Rashford
    Ibra
    Martial

What I think we will see:

De Gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Blind

Fellaini
    Herrera
    Pogba

Lingard
    Ibra
    Rashford

the first team is what i would

expect to see ander dropped for fellani and mata as the number 10

sky88 wrote: »
    the first team is what i would

expect to see ander dropped for fellani and mata as the number 10

I'd still have Valencia at RB, I'm far from his biggest fan but I've been reasonably impressed with him there for far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gotta work later. No match for me. Keep the red flag flying high people.

• zerks wrote: »

;)

Got this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote: »

MOve over in the boat mate
    I'm with ye ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

All aboard the friendship? :p

Kirby wrote: »
    All aboard the friendship positivity boat? :p

FYP mate

If as expected we start with a front six of

Herrera
    Fellaini Pogba
    Rashford/lingard Martial
    Ibra

it will be very interesting to see what happens if Liverpool start passing incisively around us.
    Would Morgan come on to steady the ship?......even though he has seen damn all playing time.For me it seems as if Mourinho doesn't trust Schneiderlin to do a job in midfield.

In the grand scheme of things it's early days.

It's entirely possible that as the fixtures mount up, Xmas period comes in, injuries start or form changes, the team could look different and some periphery players might stake a proper claim.

Schneiderlan is the type of player I'd have expected Mourinho to love and covet. Maybe he just hasn't realised it yet.

And in fairness to Morgan, he needs to really show his worth when hes playing. He has been perfectly solid and able when played, but he has so much more in his locker then what we are seeing.

It wouldn't hurt every now and again for him to remind people who he was one of the best CM's in the league for two years. He has an engine, he has a good range of passing and he is clever and smart.

Can't help shake the notion that Schneiderlan or Blind are the foundation for which our midfield could explode from. Considering the experiences Blind has had at Cb, and how he has equipped himself, coupled with his calmness and passing range, I wonder is he actually the smack bang obvious answer to anchoring our midfield either alongside Pogba from deep, or on his own in a midfield 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Metro - as crap as they are - are reporting no Martial or Mkhi in the squad. Maybe they're just piggybacking off the fact that neither of them were pictured with the squad, but Martial's girlfriend posted a video of the two of them messing about on Snapchat a couple of hours ago. Not sure what the match day process is, but he'd hardly be with her so close to the game if he were traveling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So jose had the squad warming up in the hotel carpark again and a few players were missing
    MEN wrote: »
    But Henrikh Mkhitaryan , Anthony Martial , Memphis Depay , Matteo Darmian and Morgan Schneiderlin were not pictured. However, their absence from the squad is unconfirmed.

Martial I thought was fit but maybe he ain't gonna be in the lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

jayo26 wrote: »
    So jose had the squad warming up in the hotel carpark again and a few players were missing

Martial I thought was fit but maybe he ain't gonna be in the lineup.

If true Rooney may start on the left or right. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I'd think that Jose will go for a 3 man midfield with 2 wide players supporting Ibra. Can't see him going with a No.10, per say, tonight. Would like to see Blind, if Shaw is fit, play in front of the back 4 with Herrera and Pogba ahead of him. Don't think Fellaini has the intelligence to play that role, especially against a fast, inter changing attacking team. He's more of a reactive player, like a dog chasing after a ball in my opinion, and seems to be follow play rather than anticipate it. Whereas you want someone like Blind or Carrick who are more proactive, seeing positions/areas of the pitch where they need to be to nullify attacks. Would like to see us with pace on the wings with Rashford and possibly Martial. I think we will be under pressure quite a bit and will need to transition from defence to attack quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jesus, the match thread already. :rolleyes:

Worried about tonight's match. Very worried.

Imagine if Rooney starts and we hockey them or get hockeyed, this place will go bananas.

In reality I'll be very surprised (and massively disappointed) if he does start.

• Advertisement

Some fans over on Reddit are backing up the 'No Martial in the squad tonight' rumour with a photo from Martial's current girlfriend's Snapchat. Apparently it was only taken two hours ago. Now, not only is Snapchat lost on me, but it's hard to tell what's going on in the photo. Here's the short Reddit thread with the photo...

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/57xwrm/martial_on_his_gfs_snapchat_two_hours_ago_not_in/

People who know Snapchat better than I say that there's a way of differentiating between an old photo which was uploaded today, and a photo uploaded 'live'.

If any of this is true, it seems that Martial is just enjoying a Monday off with the gf. Unless he's injured, I don't like his exclusion from the squad. Will wait an hour to see the line-up and subs before I get too worried though.

God i fuppin hate Liverpool
    I hope we batter them so hard with all their self belief and laughing as if they've won something already...
    its October for fup sake, no trophies given out at this stage of the year
    all aboard the positivity whatever you're having yourself
    #GGMU #Prayforzerksinwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not worried at all and have bet quite a lot of money (£5) on a 2-0 win for United. A 0-0 wouldn't shock me but I think we will do ok, and certainly don't think Liverpool are as good or as worrisome as people are making out.

Not all heroes wear capes...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/builder-leaves-manchester-united-memorabilia-9061905

Story about a United fan working construction on the new stand at Anfield who left some memorabilia high up in the rafters. Pity he couldn't keep the secret to himself for a few years and then make it known.

It's stories like that, and ones from that Gary Neville Players Tribune article yesterday, which demonstrate the best of the rivalry and how harmless pranks can often be the best. Munich and Hillsborough chants are not just outright disgusting, but lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

stankratz wrote: »
    Not all heroes wear capes...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/builder-leaves-manchester-united-memorabilia-9061905

Story about a United fan working construction on the new stand at Anfield who left some memorabilia high up in the rafters. Pity he couldn't keep the secret to himself for a few years and then make it known.

It's stories like that, and ones from that Gary Neville Players Tribune article yesterday, which demonstrate the best of the rivalry and how harmless pranks can often be the best. Munich and Hillsborough chants are not just outright disgusting, but lazy.

Reminds me of this...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-neville-tackles-story-buried-9061103

Jayop wrote: »

Great story that too. Gary expanded on it further in an article yesterday. Give it a read if you missed it jayo, well worth it, and it'll help pass the remaining minutes until the line-up is released and all hell breaks loose!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/gary-neville-manchester-united-liverpool/

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/788045584615763968

Samuel Lockhurst: No sign of Martial, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Memphis and Jones, as well as Mkhitaryan in car park pictures. #mufc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope we go 4-3-3, but most of all...win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Usually confident enough about Liverpool matches but I've a horrible feeling about tonight.

• Advertisement

Hmm, no Morgan either. Looks like Fellaini is starting so because as much as I'd prefer Carrick over him in this game I don't think Jose will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As a Gooner may I say - May the best team lose.

As a Gooner may I say - May the best team lose.

That's Liverpool atm so we'll take that!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

xtal191 wrote: »
    Usually confident enough about Liverpool matches but I've a horrible feeling about tonight.

It's going to be watch-behind-the-couch bad. An absolute slaughtering. Halloween is coming early. Be afraid.

Etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Where is martial?? Was he ruled out?

For those who can't see the twitter links:

DDG, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Blind, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera, Rashford, Young, Ibra.

Subs: Romero, Rojo, Shaw, Carrick, Lingard, Mata, Rooney.

So, Martial is in fact at home messing around with the girlfriend's make-up.

Edit: Gracias Elche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

This is gonna be a bus parked job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Where the **** is Martial?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement