Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

murpho999 wrote: »
    Come in peace.

Are Utd fans happy with the current style of play.

Never seen such a negative United side come to Anfield like that before.

Can't imagine Utd fans enjoy that sort of play and tactics. More used to Utd going to Anfield and other way grounds and tryng to win.

Yep. Good result.

You were the form team and at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Come in peace.

Can't imagine Utd fans enjoy that sort of play and tactics. More used to Utd going to Anfield and other way grounds and tryng to win.

But that's not our current style of play.
    I've no problem with those sort of tactics in this sort of game, especially in the context of the season.

Utd looked the more threatening in the first half and Liverpool looked clueless.
    Liverpool were the better team in the second half but hardly convincing.

It may not be flashy stuff but there's a certain comfort in knowing your team can be so disciplined like that for 90 minutes. It's the sort of stuff you build foundations on and Utd have been looking for that for the last three seasons.

• murpho999 wrote: »
    Come in peace.

You know deep down murpho that you were the in form team.
    We played exactly as we should have, if we played an open style we would have been caught out
    We setup to Nick it and we nearly did only for ibra missed a sitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We all knew what to expect when Jose arrived.

Was a Mourinho masterclass in fairness, great discipline, my only problem is that Liverpool were awful for most of the game and we barely created a chance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Come in peace.

That's was not overly negative we were more adventurous in the first half but pool defended well we didn't get a chance and we tried to get at ye when milner was taken off we just couldn't work anything but it wasn't for the want of trying to move forward.

If we had to of went all out attack we would of been caught with pace it would be stupid tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yep no problem being defensive in a game like that away from home. Only gave up two chances all game. Still think had we taken off Ibra and Pogba with 15 or 20 left we could have created more on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I would have brought Rooney on up top if he was coming on and brought off Zlatan...I fear the ego of zlatan may be restrictive to how we are able to change it. Does Jose have the balls to call him ashore when required?
    Pogba too, can he be subbed off given the fee?
    I thought we needed pace up top and a spark from the special Juan in behind.

I really don't know about playing 6 at the back given the money we've spent either.

Herrera, Fellaini, Valenci & DDG very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

jayo26 wrote:
    That's was not overly negative we were more adventurous in the first half but pool defended well we didn't get a chance and we tried to get at ye when milner was taken off we just couldn't work anything but it wasn't for the want of trying to move forward.

jayo26 wrote:
    If we had to of went all out attack we would of been caught with pace it would be stupid tactics.

We often played like that under Fergie to
    be fair. The 1-0 where O Shea scored last minute was the same and we didn't create a chance only for that one. Had Ibra taken that chance and we won one nil we would be saying it was a tactical masterclass.

Happy with a point. Not many will get one at Anfield this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You know deep down murpho that you were in the in form team.
    We played exactly as we should have, if we played an open style we would have been caught out

De Gea made two top saves to stop Liverpool winning that game. Yes LFC were terrible until Lallana came on and it all clicked again (Sturridge will be an ex Liverpool player by Sept 1st 2017),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Jayop wrote: »
    Yep no problem being defensive in a game like that away from home. Only gave up two chances all game. Still think had we taken off Ibra and Pogba with 15 or 20 left we could have created more on the break.

We just didn't have the bench. If Mickey and Martial were fit we would have had something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

adox wrote: »
    But that's not our current style of play.
    I've no problem with those sort of tactics in this sort of game, especially in the context of the season.

Utd looked the more threatening in the first half and Liverpool looked clueless.
    Liverpool were the better team in the second half but hardly convincing.

It may not be flashy stuff but there's a certain comfort in knowing your team can be so disciplined like that for 90 minutes. It's the sort of stuff you build foundations on and Uts have been looking for that for the last three seasons.

This, exactly this.

We were completely different from the team that played Leicester as the opposition were completely different.

Jose adapted the squad perfectly.

Klopp has been shown up as being quite dimensional in that if they aren't allowed to press they have no plan B what so ever.

I said before the match Id be happy with a point and i am happy.

It was a disciplined approach and was what was needed to negate the LFC style of play.

Someone mentioned previously that Fergie played ugly when he needed to.

Ive no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Love how much other fans are concerned about ManUtd fans and the style of play we deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You know deep down murpho that you were the in form team.

Fair enough, I still don't think it's the normal Utd approach and wonder will fans tire of it if it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

2 months into the season a new manager with a team that hasn't hit form goes to their in-form rivals stadium, plays a very disciplined game and leaves with a point.

For some people, the only problem with that scenario is who the manager was.

I have zero problem with how Jose approached this game, a loss tonight would have seen a bunch of "Is Jose done" bull**** and he was right to see the bigger picture. All we are seeing from games like this is the implementation of a sound defensive structure and work ethic to the team, thats where every manager at any team would start and something Van Gaal got two mind numbing years to try and achieve.

Considering the context, anybody moaning because they didn't see a free flowing attacking performance really needs to catch themselves on.

Happy with the result and performance given the fixture. The match was dull for the most part, but it was actually a joy to watch Ander Herrera go about his game. Without doubt my favourite player at the club, first time I've had one in a fair while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Love how much other fans are concerned about ManUtd fans and the style of play we deserve.

It's called a discussion, don't see what the problem is with it if done in the right way, which I have tried to do.

They were expecting to hammer us and being Josed again hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

edgecutter wrote: »
    We just didn't have the bench. If Mickey and Martial were fit we would have had something.

I really, really hope Martial was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ronaldo, £85 million. Instant impact.
    Bale, £85-90 million. Instant impact.
    Suarez, £70 million. Instant impact.

Tall Paul, £90 million. Intricate haircuts.

Jasis Christ wtf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I mean, the draw seems to have gotten Pool fans saltier than a loss would have....

• Advertisement

• De Gea made two top saves to stop Liverpool winning that game. Yes LFC were terrible until Lallana came on and it all clicked again (Sturridge will be an ex Liverpool player by Spet 1st 2017),

This is fine, he made two great saves from half chances.
    Utd still had the better of the clear cut chances.
    It really didn't click though. Other than those two shots that was it. You are convincing yourself that lallana made a huge difference when he really didn't.

Mata and Rooney. Ibra was awful. Fluffed our only chance and was offside the rest of that game. If Rooney put in a performance like that the thread would have jumped by twenty pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Very tough game to watch. Six across the back at times.

Herrera was very good.

We need to see better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's called a discussion, don't see what the problem is with it if done in the right way, which I have tried to do.

I'm not talking about you. Match day thread is absolutely gold with half baked facts.

• murpho999 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I still don't think it's the normal Utd approach and wonder will fans tire of it if it continues.

Jose approached this game specifically.
    He hasn't setup this way for any other game so far. He played too lose against city in the first half and we lost because of it.
    Against teams Utd expect to win he has approached the games in a more attacking manner.
    In the big games he will play it with more care.
    He's only been in charge a couple of months just to remind

Mata and Rooney. Ibra was awful. Fluffed our only chance and was offside the rest of that game. If Rooney put in a performance like that the thread would have jumped by twenty pages.

No, just no.

Rooney just hasn't got it and the game would have bypassed Mata. We needed pace on the wings for the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I mean, the draw seems to have gotten Pool fans saltier than a loss would have....

I have them crying all over my Whatsapp. It's not fair, United didn't let us play... duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Was very happy with the way the game went till last 30 minutes. They didn't create much but I was a bit nervous. If Zlatan had scored that header it would have been the perfect away performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I'd be worried if he did it against Watford at home. You seem surprised that Jose Mourinho went to Anfield not to concede. You have heard of him before yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

ericzeking wrote: »
    I really, really hope Martial was injured

He was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Come in peace.

Im not too worried about it,if Utd showed up tonight and played an open game then that would be just playing right into Liverpools hands,its something that Jose has done in all the teams he has managed,in big games he sets up to give himself the best chance possible at getting at least a point

Ibra had a great chance and I thought Utd were the better team in the first half and looked very comfortable.

Its winning the bread and butter league games that Utd need to get back doing,get a run going

No, just no.

Rooney just hasn't got it and the game would have bypassed Mata. We needed pace on the wings for the counter.

We had pace on the wings and when the change was made it didn't add more pace. Not sure how the gane would bypass Mata or how you come to that conclusion considering how well he played multiple times against them. We needed someone to show some composure late in the game. Pogba was a passenger by then and Mata would have been at least as involved and better able to pick a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah, I'm not seeing what they saw. A parked bus? Maybe in the last 20 but other than that it was just a compact shape, tireless work ethic and discipline away from home in a big game. I don't remember Ibra or Pogba sitting behind the ball with us camped in front of our 18 yard line hoofing stuff away from minute one. It was definitely a performance with defensive shape and solidity as the mainstays, but far from a hugely negative performance, that we scraped out of by the skin of our teeth. If one of your two best chances was a 30 yard shot, you didn't create much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its gas.

You have AIG and yon City fan bemoaning the loss of "The United Way"

AIG flip flops who he supports more than a fish on a boat and the other lad, who supports a team that is kept afloat by money from slave traders.

As if they can possibly afford to comment on any other teams "way"

You couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gary is so much better than Giggs.

Giggs is your typical company man, wont say anything that may get him in hot water where as Gary has no problem

We had pace on the wings and when the change was made it didn't add more pace. Not sure how the gane would bypass Mata or how you come to that conclusion considering how well he played multiple times against them. We needed someone to show some composure late in the game. Pogba was a passenger by then and Mata would have been at least as involved and better able to pick a pass.

Mata could have had an influence, but Rooney was more hinderance than help with not tracking Milner.

Headshot wrote: »

Giggs is your typical company man, wont say anything that may get him in hot water where as Gary has no problem

Thank god he was never given the job.

Mata could have had an influence, but Rooney was more hinderance than help with not tracking Milner.

Hence why I said I'd have replaced the completely ineffectual Ibra with Rooney up top. Had we Martial or another striker on the bench I'd have said them but Rooney was the only option. Putting Rooney on the wing was foolish at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Headshot wrote: »

gary used to say nothing about any english players when he was england coach

• Advertisement

Hence why I said I'd have replaced the completely ineffectual Ibra with Rooney up top. Had we Martial or another striker on the bench I'd have said them but Rooney was the only option. Putting Rooney on the wing was foolish at that stage.

Would Rooney have pressed?

Would Rooney have pressed?

He's done so for about 14 years so I'd imagine he'd have managed 20 minutes pressing at anfield. Honestly I'd have done better than Ibra in that second half. Can't believe he's getting pass in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Its gas.

You have AIG and yon City fan bemoaning the loss of "The United Way"

AIG flip flops who he supports more than a fish on a boat and the other lad, who supports a team that is kept afloat by money from slave traders.

As if they can possibly afford to comment on any other teams "way"

You couldnt make it up.

The City fans on here have been by and large hilarious since Pep took charge. It's like when somebody goes to a few philosophy lectures in college and suddenly feels more enlightened than everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's a result business. But we got 3 points last season which we basically stole at Anfield.

That was a good performance.

As a unit that was best performance I have seen from United since Fergie days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He's done so for about 14 years so I'd imagine he'd have managed 20 minutes pressing at anfield. Honestly I'd have done better than Ibra in that second half. Can't believe he's getting pass in here.

Is he getting a pass? Everyone seems in agreement he had a dire game...

He isn't getting a pass, he was dreadful and I would have rather Rashford to move up top. Rooney is like a pinball, you never know where the ball is going to go with his touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fergie played the exact same way numerous times in big games.. if Jose sets up differently and beats the smaller teams well like he is known to do the fans will have no problem whatsoever..

• Lord TSC wrote: »

He still pressed tirelessly all game and worked his defender
    I honestly don't see Rooney having the physique or Fitness to do the same
    I was gutted he missed that chance however

He isn't getting a pass, he was dreadful and I would have rather Rashford to move up top. Rooney is like a pinball, you never know where the ball is going to go with his touch.

A pinball would have been better than eternally offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The City fans on here have been by and large hilarious since Pep took charge. It's like when somebody goes to a few philosophy lectures in college and suddenly feels more enlightened than everybody else.

Well thats pure lies.Can you give any examples of this.

And that's it, not page after page of teeth gnashing. It was a lazy second half by him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement