Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Note in OP, 13/9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why the **** did I go into the match thread!!!

• Why the **** did I go into the match thread!!!

That's why I'm here m8 :P
    Battling the deluded since 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Those match threads are pure ebola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Well thats pure lies.Can you give any examples of this.

Nope, you'll have to do your own legwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Those match threads are pure ebola.

Tbf, its been one of the most civilised that I can remember anyway.

No doubt the lack of goals played a part in that but its only since full time that the muppets have come out in force.

• Jayop wrote: »
    And that's it, not page after page of teeth gnashing. It was a lazy second half by him.

I'd argue he wasn't lazy at all. Sloppy at times but lazy, no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jayop wrote: »
    And that's it, not page after page of teeth gnashing. It was a lazy second half by him.

Context, I guess. People who are frustrated with Rooney aren't basing those frustrations off one game, but weeks/months/years of subpar performances. Ibra has had a few bad games (arguably) but until it's the norm for an extended period of time, of course it isn't going to yield the same level of anger.

I'm not expecting massive things from Ibra tbh. I'm expecting games here and there that largely pass him by because he's a 35 year old man at the end of his career that we can move on at the end of the year if he doesn't work out. I am expecting him to bang in a few against the lesser teams though and generally contribute in those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd argue he wasn't lazy at all. Sloppy at times but lazy, no.

Being offside so often was caused by laziness in the second half imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Whats annoying me a bit about tonight is that they were there for the taking in the first half.

Karuis was dodgy as fook anytime a ball came in over him. We had little or no width and as a result, little to no crosses to trouble him.

Disappointing we didnt work him harder but as the team is still very much a work in progress I cannot be too peeved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Defensively very good ander was fantastic.

Attacking wise was terrible.

Zlatan was useless an pogba wasn't much better.

I just don't know right now we're he fits into a Jose team right now.

I think if your going to set the team up like this I don't think rashford is a good fit for it, lingard would be a better option

sky88 wrote: »
    Defensively very good ander was fantastic.

Attacking wise was terrible.

Zlatan was useless an pogba wasn't much better.

I just don't know right now we're he fits into a Jose team right now.

I think if your going to set the team up like this I don't think rashford is a good fit for it, lingard would be a better option

I think Rashford would benefit from a few games up top tbh. Ibra can't play all of the games and Rashford might offer something in behind for Pogba that Ibra simply can't at this stage of his career. It was very congested in midfield tonight and Ibra was dropping deep to get on the ball but nobody was going beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think Rashford would benefit from a few games up top tbh. Ibra can't play all of the games and Rashford might offer something in behind for Pogba that Ibra simply can't at this stage of his career. It was very congested in midfield tonight and Ibra was dropping deep to get on the ball but nobody was going beyond him.

I think the entire team would benefit from rashford up too. But I can't see him dropping zlatan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Thought Fellini had a good game today, underrated player because of his size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Not sure if i seen it here or elsewhere but i was reading about Pog and Ibra doing there own thing alot on the pitch only looking for each other with passes and there was a few times tonight i noticed it if there was an easier option on, they still looked for the awkward pass to each other that didnt come off half as much as a simple pass to anyone else would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nope, you'll have to do your own legwork.

Nope I dont.You said it so you provide the posts.Otherwise every one can take what you said as lies and just pure bitterness and I dont care if its just a fourm and you think you dont have to prove anything to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fair play to the lads who can accept that sort of showing and justify it. Can't make it sit right with me. Mates seem cool with it too.

Appreciate its a decent point against a team in good form, but I historically berated Mourinho for stuff like that, and I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit sad that we played like that to grind a draw.

Also unsure how players take any positives or momentum from something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

TheDoc wrote: »
    Fair play to the lads who can accept that sort of showing and justify it. Can't make it sit right with me. Mates seem cool with it too.

Appreciate its a decent point against a team in good form, but I historically berated Mourinho for stuff like that, and I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit sad that we played like that to grind a draw.

Also unsure how players take any positives or momentum from something like that.

Well done on being brave enough to admit your true feelings, most on here don't have the guts to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cause United under Fergie was always all out attack. Get a grip ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Mourinho reminded me why I did not want him as our manager, a snooze fest of a match., zero entertainment . 700 million global audience according to the hype, 1400 million lost hours.

How did you feel when Fergie id it? Fair enough if you want to see us playing more expansive stuff, we all do, but we aren't there yet. Going out and trying to go toe to toe with a rival in good form would have been naive in the extreme. I'd counter that the risk of taking a pasting would have been far more counter productive to momentum. There are other games to build momentum in.

Nope I dont.You said it so you provide the posts.Otherwise every one can take what you said as lies and just pure bitterness and I dont care if its just a fourm and you think you dont have to prove anything to me.

That's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Valencia, Young, Fellani, & Ander all played well today. Don't think we should be too harsh on our attackers, the system we played limited them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Murhino still trying to get the right balance with his team. Pool have looked good all season bar Burnley game. It was a game we could not afford to loose. Pool fans upset with ref, upset with Murhino, upset that de Gea made a couple of saves, upset with everything bar their own performance says it all. We frustrated them in their own back yard and cant take it.
    Was disappointed with Pogba and Ibrahim. Need to get Rashford up top and Mickey Ryan into the team to inject a bit of pace. Its October and leagues are never won in October but they can be lost.
    Get the balance right and we wont be far away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Fellaini was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Cause United under Fergie was always all out attack. Get a grip ffs.

Just think it's a bit odd. Some serious quick acceptance of this, under Van Gaal it was called cowardly by some in here.

At least he went to Anfield and played them off the park and won three points.

I'm expecting more from a world class manager with the resources and talent at his disposal, and I don't feel unrealistic for having that expectation.

Also think I need to stick with my feelings about Mourinho on those tactics, and not change my tune just because he is at United now.

And I really don't ever remember Ferguson setting out his stall like that against Liverpool. Even against the toughest Chelsea teams, he went three in the middle and still played a game.

And to be honest I fully expected my views to be met with "oh but Ferguson did it"

Not going to harp on about it, but really not happy with tonight at all.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Fellaini was excellent

Giggs made some interesting comments about him pre match that he follows direction far better than any other player. Explains why managers like him for these types of games.

I do feel that we could have so much better in there though. A great option to have but would be a squad player for me for the most part, considering the type of money we can throw around to improve in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I'm an Arsenal fan,I'm disappointed with United.
    Ferguson as much as I hated him I admired him,I just feel with Jose United accepted they couldn't beat Liverpool so decided not to lose.
    The players available were more than a match,I really loved how fergie went toe to toe with every team.
    I'm sorry I don't mean to annoy anyone and it sounds strange from a gooner but I miss the old Man U

Just think it's a bit odd. Some serious quick acceptance of this, under Van Gaal it was called cowardly by some in here.

At least he went to Anfield and played them off the park and won three points.

I'm expecting more from a world class manager with the resources and talent at his disposal, and I don't feel unrealistic for having that expectation.

Also think I need to stick with my feelings about Mourinho on those tactics, and not change my tune just because he is at United now.

And I really don't ever remember Ferguson setting out his stall like that against Liverpool. Even against the toughest Chelsea teams, he went three in the middle and still played a game.

And to be honest I fully expected my views to be met with "oh but Ferguson did it"

Not going to harp on about it, but really not happy with tonight at all.

Under Van Gaal, boring was the default. We know what Mourinho does. Tightens it all up in the big games, blitzes the small teams. If he starts playing that kind of style every week, home and away, then I'll have concerns. But until that time, I'll accept the fact that we have a manager that brings trophies along with these tactics.

Last season we were being told by these same rival fans that the end was nigh and that we were doing a Liverpool. Now they are concerned about our style of play not being the United way (wtf is this anyway?) and the end is nigh claims have quietened a good bit. There's a reason for this.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I'm an Arsenal fan,I'm disappointed with United.
    Ferguson as much as I hated him I admired him,I just feel with Jose United accepted they couldn't beat Liverpool so decided not to lose.
    The players available were more than a match,I really loved how fergie went toe to toe with every team.
    I'm sorry I don't mean to annoy anyone and it sounds strange from a gooner but I miss the old Man U

This just didn't happen. A salient example would be how we used to defend like demons and kick seven shades of ****e out of your lot whenever you were in better form than us under Fergie.

• Advertisement

Under Van Gaal, boring was the default. We know what Mourinho does. Tightens it all up in the big games, blitzes the small teams. If he starts playing that kind of style every week, home and away, then I'll have concerns. But until that time, I'll accept the fact that we have a manager that brings trophies along with these tactics.

Last season we were being told by these same rival fans that the end was nigh and that we were doing a Liverpool. Now they are concerned about our style of play not being the United way (wtf is this anyway?) and the end is nigh claims have quietened a good bit. There's a reason for this.

I don't kno see the same with Jose,your not blitzing small teams....I'd love nothing more than us and you fighting for the title again,ive no time for Chelsea or city....I want to hate United again.

This just didn't happen. A salient example would be how we used to defend like demons and kick seven shades of ****e out of your lot whenever you were in better form than us under Fergie.

I'll give you that...Wiltord old Trafford didn't kick him lol....Ah no it's all joking I just hate mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People saying Young did well. He's a wide forward in a 4-3-3 and played like a 2nd left back. Not one good cross and never got into a position to shoot. Incapable of taking a player on. Blind was dealing with Mane easily. There should have been someone putting pressure on them going forward. Do people really think Young had any business there?

Honestly that result is sickening. Liverpool were terrible. Misplacing passes all over the place. No creativity at all from United and a lack of pace throughout tthe team. The United midfield was hugely superior to the Pool one and didn't do anything once they got it.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I don't kno see the same with Jose,your not blitzing small teams....I'd love nothing more than us and you fighting for the title again,ive no time for Chelsea or city....I want to hate United again.

We've played 8 games. Give it time!! Man, with the busted flush threads, constant analysis of tactics from rival fans and people checking their crystal balls to tell us where we will end up this year, I almost feel bad for the Chelsea fans dealing with Mourinho hyperbole for however many years he spent there.

We've played 8 games. Give it time!! Man, with the busted flush threads, constant analysis of tactics from rival fans and people checking their crystal balls to tell us where we will end up this year, I almost feel bad for the Chelsea fans dealing with Mourinho hyperbole for however many years he spent there.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's a busted flush,or it's not gonna work.
    I've just seen United as our biggest rivals this last 20 years ok maybe the last 10 we've been sh1t and you since fergie left but of all the animosity,rivalry between out clubs I've had respect for utd the best team in English football this last 20 years,but to see what happened tonight with the players available I thought it was an insult to what Man U are....in my mind United are the best nobody puts tactics on United they play how they play and other teams deal with it,ah I'm sorry I just can't stand mourinhos tactics even though they work,I just think United should stand up to Liverpool pool and beat them

How many posts have you replied to and yet to prove your own point from your own post?

How many posts have you replied to and yet to prove your own point from your own post?

This is all a bit weird. If you want to continue the discussion, you can PM me I guess. I'll not be responding again on thread.

This is all a bit weird. If you want to continue the discussion, you can PM me I guess. I'll not be responding again on thread.

All I asked was back up what you said and I followed up with the same question.Your not obliged to answer but I dont see its unreasnable to answer a question in reguards to what posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we had put one of the chances away against Stoke a draw here would have been fine, I think Mourinho is looking at the season as a whole and is banking on us finishing those chances against the smaller teams, picking up points against rivals is all you need to do in that case.

Whether we'll start beating the smaller teams is the main question, a draw against Chelsea at the weekend could leave us 7 points off the top. We have Burnley and Swansea after which needs to be 6 points on the board and then on to Arsenal, West Ham, Everton and Spurs, another tough run.

Even though that was expected to be a tough away fixture where a point would be a decent return, scoreless draws are never fun. Have to say though that I am at least getting a bit of craic out of some of the Liverpool and other fan reactions popping up here and in the match thread.

As usual, someone else's fault that they couldn't get the result they wanted, and the old cherry - suddenly concerned for the United style of play and the club's footballing well-being. It's interesting, this concern never seems to be forthcoming after Liverpool beat United in the league, only when they failed to get the win themselves.

It does call for some observing. Liverpool were heavy favourites and the form team going into that match. It was to be a "slaughtering" with "three or four" scored against "inferior" opposition. That didn't happen. Instead of looking inwards though and asking 'Why?' or maybe putting it in a question like 'Why the fúck is our manager persisting with Daniel Sturridge?' they look outwards to lay blame.

'LOL, look at your manager and his tactics which not only completely shut down our recently fluid and effective attack, but managed to create a few chances for his own team'. The team and manager who defied many observers' expectations are now the ones being chastised for doing it for the apparent manner in which they did it. So it boils down to 'It's Jose and United's fault that we didn't win because they didn't play the way we needed them to for us to win'.

I'm not buying the 'SAF would never employ such tactics' as genuine. Anyone who has ever watched more than ten Fergie era United games will know that not to be true. Also, the wide expansion of the parameters for the definition of 'hoofball' by some is laughable.

Never mind the talk of United not playing like a team who came to win the match, what about Liverpool, the hot, home favourites? They only started to look dangerous, like something resembling those hot favourites, late in the game.

Not just United, but neither team looked like they went in for the win in fairness. Rather than maybe a general feeling of calling a spade a spade though and moving on, something like 'It was a fair point for both teams, each team made their mistakes and have their own problems to worry about', a major part of some Liverpool fans' healing process of course has to involve blame-deflecting and auto-focusing of the spotlight onto the United performance. Well and good if that performance coincided with a bad penalty call/red card against Liverpool which cost them the game, or if Fellaini went on an unpunished rampage with the elbows, but none of those kind of talking points occurred, and yet it's still United's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I ended up not watching the game, seems I didn't miss much.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I ended up not watching the game, seems I didn't miss much.

Short answer, no you didn't miss much. United played well in the first half, controlling the game but unable to break through in the box. Zlatan should have at least hit the target with a header from a tight enough angle at the far post after a peach of a cross from Pogba. Instead, Zlatan unintentionally hit it back across the six yard box where there was none of our players to scramble for it. That was our best chance. Liverpool woke up after Lallana came on in the second half and put some pressure on United late in the game. Emre Can forced a very good save from DDG once he got a shot off from close range after a scramble in the box. Firmino looked destined to score and was clean through, but for a superb tackle from Tony V, who had a very good game...

https://fat.gfycat.com/PlasticYawningAcaciarat.webm

Herrera continued with his progression and deserved his MOTM award. These are his numbers...

https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/788123073807540225

3 Clearances, 5/5 take-ons completed (looked effortless to him), 11 interceptions, 16 tackles, 50 passes (doesn't say out of how many attempted though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

stankratz wrote: »
    Short answer, no you didn't miss much. United played well in the first half, controlling the game but unable to break through in the box. Zlatan should have at least hit the target with a header from a tight enough angle at the far post after a peach of a cross from Pogba. Instead, Zlatan unintentionally hit it back across the six yard box where there was none of our players to scramble for it. That was our best chance. Liverpool woke up after Lallana came on in the second half and put some pressure on United late in the game. Emre Can forced a very good save from DDG once he got a shot off from close range after a scramble in the box. Firmino looked destined to score and was clean through, but for a superb tackle from Tony V, who had a very good game...

https://fat.gfycat.com/PlasticYawningAcaciarat.webm

Herrera continued with his progression and deserved his MOTM award. These are his numbers...

https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/788123073807540225

3 Clearances, 5/5 take-ons completed (looked effortless to him), 11 interceptions, 16 tackles, 50 passes (doesn't say out of how many attempted though)

It's 16 tackles attempted and he won 5 or 7. His passing percentage was 74%.

He was just excellent, should be one of the first name on the team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Headshot wrote: »
    Gary is so much better than Giggs.

Giggs is your typical company man, wont say anything that may get him in hot water where as Gary has no problem

Not entirely true, Gary didn't criticise English players once involvdd in the set up and embarrassed himself when Moyes was in charge.

I've enjoyed Giggs input today but yeah it's cool to hate one of are longest serving players these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I can't take your posts of this theme serious considering some of the stuff you came out with in defence of LVG.

As has already been said Fergie implemented similar styles in big games.

We were ambarrasing under LVG at Anfield last year but nicked a lucky lucky goal, last night was far far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I hate match day threads with Liverpool fans, the biggest cryers ever 'United stopped us playing...anti football...we tried to play...you just tried to bully us...United are going backwards'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

edgecutter wrote: »
    I hate match day threads with Liverpool fans, the biggest cryers ever 'United stopped us playing...anti football...we tried to play...you just tried to bully us...United are going backwards'.

The most moronic thing I'm hearing is their concern that we might not enjoy the park the bus tactics under Jose. Like he sends them out to play the exact same way every week or something.

That's the first conservative performance we have had during his tenure, and understandably so.
    Even at that we actually controlled the first half. I'd have taken the draw before the game too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think there's a mistake in some peoples logic actually.

I am seeing people say "Liverpool were poor so we should have tried to play to win". Liverpool were poor BECAUSE we didn't play to win. If we had went into the game looking to play free flowing, open football, then forms before the game would have dictated they would have been favourites for the win.

It was because we played the way we did that they looked the way they did. It was Jose who dictated the terms last night, and Klopp didn't have an answer to that. If we had gone in letting Pool play their game, we probably Utd have walked out with nothing.

Jose is the type of manager who changed how we play to the circumstances presented (as opposed to LVG who played the same tactics every game, in spite of if we were playing champions league or relegation fodder). When we are underdogs, it's going to be those types of matches where we grind out results. When we are favourites, like Stoke or Leicester, it will be more open, more freeflow football.

The most moronic thing I'm hearing is their concern that we might not enjoy the park the bus tactics under Jose. Like he sends them out to play the exact same way every week or something.

That's the first conservative performance we have had during his tenure, and understandably so.
    Even at that we actually controlled the first half. I'd have taken the draw before the game too.
    The strangest thing of all, is that their favourite manager of modern times was incredibly tactically conservative when it made sense for him to be. Those suggesting that we should have gone out and went punch for punch with them are being naive and possibly underestimating Jose. I'll never say trust the manager blindly, but one thing I'd struggle to question him on is his season management. He rarely gets it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Heavens above thank god I missed it
    A lot of people fearful of a thumping,some hoping for a draw and few discussing a win.
    We get a point,restrict out opponents and still not good enough.
    Yes 0-0 draws can be frustrating but what would you preferred all out attack and a tonking,because it could've happened.
    Christ the Liverpool lads would've loved that.. why do you think they're bemoaning our style of play??? Because it's not hoe they wanted it of course,they wanted attack attack attack

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement